Miconazole Nitrate (MN) Challenge (September 1 - December 31, 2012)

DominicanBrazilian82

ginabeana said:
Has anyone found that the MN becomes oily in your hair?

I think that it's how you apply it and how much is used. I section my hair like I'm relaxing it and only use enough to coat my scalp within that section. It's a time consuming process, but then my hair isn't drenched in MN, garlic oil and AE Garlic Mask (my ingredients).

Some people use applicator bottles; which lessens your application time, but increases the chance that it may make your "hair" oily. I use my finger tip to apply and it never touches my hair at all.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

DominicanBrazilian82

Applying my MN tonight (let's hope)... I'm sticking to a *strict* every other day routine. Co-washing on Friday, MN application, full wash Sunday, MN application.

tiajanae

Too much peppermint oil???

i think so but it feels so good now that I'm use to it. I see a bit a ng in these braids so I think it's working. :grin:

on another note, how often is everyone using the MN? I have mines diluted with coconut oil, peppermint oil, mtg, and garlic oil and the smell is a bit much for me so I've been applying once per week. I was thinking about switching that to every other day. Any suggestions??

DominicanBrazilian82

tiajanae said:
i think so but it feels so good now that I'm use to it. I see a bit a ng in these braids so I think it's working. :grin:

on another note, how often is everyone using the MN? I have mines diluted with coconut oil, peppermint oil, mtg, and garlic oil and the smell is a bit much for me so I've been applying once per week. I was thinking about switching that to every other day. Any suggestions??

Every other day works well for me. It fits well into my schedule. Plus, the more frequent, the more fungal cleansing is done to your scalp... Which provides a better growth environment.

jprayze

tiajanae said:

Sounds good to increase your applications. How long do you plan to keep your braids in?

tiajanae

Sounds good to increase your applications. How long do you plan to keep your braids in?

I think I am going to increase my applications. I got this set of braids on September 1st and am gonna leave them in until October 31st which is a total of two months then I'm set for another appointment on November 1st to have them redone and I'll have those in until December 31st. So all in all, 4 months. But I really feel like braids are the best environment to actually see and accomplish hair growth because there's such low manipulation with direct access to my scalp.

DominicanBrazilian82

jprayze said:
Sounds good to increase your applications.

I was going to only apply once weekly at first fearing shedding (if I had one more set back I was going to cry!). But I've been taking extreme precaution (mixing my MN with garlic oil, garlic mask and leave in, plus taking a garlic supplement (which I've been doing since I started my HHJ) to assure I lessen or eliminate shedding all together. I currently apply every other night, unless I'm protective styling (like the flexi sets I have in right now). So until I take down my flexi set (most likely Sunday), I will MN every night and continue this pattern unless my hair is straight which calls for a bi-nightly application.

Excited to see my results at months end...

jprayze

DominicanBrazilian82 said:
I was going to only apply once weekly at first fearing shedding (if I had one more set back I was going to cry!). But I've been taking extreme precaution (mixing my MN with garlic oil, garlic mask and leave in, plus taking a garlic supplement (which I've been doing since I started my HHJ) to assure I lessen or eliminate shedding all together. I currently apply every other night, unless I'm protective styling (like the flexi sets I have in right now). So until I take down my flexi set (most likely Sunday), I will MN every night and continue this pattern unless my hair is straight which calls for a bi-nightly application.

Excited to see my results at months end...

Yes I am excited to see your results too!

ginabeana

I thought I would apply it daily, but I just don't have time. So I've been doing every other day... applying it directly without mixing it with anything; however, I had no clue as to what MTG was until today. I just purchased a bottle. I may do a 50/50 mix once I get it.

jprayze

I'm out of town for the weekend, so I did want to bring my mix...feared it was gonna end up in the bottom of my bag so I just took the little bit of the tube that I had left after I made the mix. Ive been applying directly since yesterday and will do so until Sunday. Then back to my mix.

LovelyRo

I haven't checked in in a while. I'm only applying once a week as I've been sewing my u part wig down. Not sure if I've noticed a distance yet but, I love the way my Sulfur 8/MN combo feels on my scalp.

jprayze

1st compare pics since starting MN again Sept 4. Not saying its a length difference but my hair just looks better. Layers are growing out and the middle thin part seems to be getting a little thicker. Maybe I will never stop MN lol...smh

image-1409534561.jpg

afroette

I finally relaxed my hair after 14 weeks. About 8 weeks of that I did MN. My hair grew significantly. It also shed a lot. My hair fell out in a spot that was severely overprocessed but I don't blame Mn for that. The stylist of course got scissor happy with my trim. Still I can see growth and more importantly thickness in my hair. I might not join this challenge again but I'm going to use my remaining bottles of MN for more growth and thickness.

DominicanBrazilian82

MN application tonight after AE Garlic mask DC... I bought a small jar with a lid from Sally's and mixed up about 70% of a 1.59 oz tube of MN, 2 tsp of AE Garlic Mask and I tbsp of Garlic Oil. The MN is about 65% of the mix, the oil about 20% and the conditioner about 15%. It will probably last me about two weeks. I don't over saturate the sections. I put enough to coat my scalp only.

DominicanBrazilian82

afroette said:
I finally relaxed my hair after 14 weeks. About 8 weeks of that I did MN. My hair grew significantly. It also shed a lot. My hair fell out in a spot that was severely overprocessed but I don't blame Mn for that. The stylist of course got scissor happy with my trim. Still I can see growth and more importantly thickness in my hair. I might not join this challenge again but I'm going to use my remaining bottles of MN for more growth and thickness.

afroette...What was your regimen and mixture?

afroette

DominicanBrazilian, I didn't have a set regimen really. I did protein and moisture DC every week and sometimes cowashed in between. Moisture and sealing daily with protective styling, mainly buns. When the roots got really thick, I began to use scurl.

In my mix, I began with just the 2% MN and JBCO. It was more MN than JBCO. Then I added garlic oil from inside my garlic pills. I parted my hair and rubbed the cream on my scalp every night.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF[/QUOTE]

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
No issues for me. I wanted to apply every night but been applying two days and washing third day and over same thing again.

jprayze

Is there anyone's name who is not on the Challengers list? If so, let me know, I'm going to update it tomorrow. Thanks!

ManiiSweetheart

Hey Ladies! Gosh ive been terrible with posting on this website...But ive been applying every other day and ill use this method until our 1st length check then ill switch over to daily applications. Gosh my Senior year is flying by..im sooo excited. I hope i read BSL by my birthday in november! I hope you ladies are doing well!

destinyseeker

jprayze said:
Is there anyone's name who is not on the Challengers list? If so, let me know, I'm going to update it tomorrow. Thanks!

My name doesn't t appear on the list. I've been Sticking with my every other day application and my new growth is really coming in (yay). Can't wait for the first check

ESmackum

I'm not on the list.
I have been applying MN in two different ways. A plain MN mix of castor oil and MN and a more potent mix of MN, castor oil, Megatek, MTG and peppermint oil. I alternate every other day, depending on if I have somewhere to go and don't want to smell like the MTG. I am seeing plenty of new growth and will be getting a relaxer on the fifth of October. I will be posting a picture or two around then.

jprayze

I'm not on the list.
I have been applying MN in two different ways. A plain MN mix of castor oil and MN and a more potent mix of MN, castor oil, Megatek, MTG and peppermint oil. I alternate every other day, depending on if I have somewhere to go and don't want to smell like the MTG. I am seeing plenty of new growth and will be getting a relaxer on the fifth of October. I will be posting a picture or two around then.

Ok hopefully the list is now up to date!

Cant wait to see your update pics :grin:

jprayze

Hey Ladies! Gosh ive been terrible with posting on this website...But ive been applying every other day and ill use this method until our 1st length check then ill switch over to daily applications. Gosh my Senior year is flying by..im sooo excited. I hope i read BSL by my birthday in november! I hope you ladies are doing well!

ManiiSweetheart Enjoy your senior year! Make lots of great memories...I won't even tell you how many years it has been for me! Have you taken your senior pics yet? I was thinking BSL hair would be great in your pics:look:

DominicanBrazilian82

ESmackum said:
I'm not on the list.

How long before you relax do you stop using MN?

nakialovesshoes

Confession: I have been slacking on my MN usage. But I started back consistently & am still trying to get to APL by the end of the year.

ESmackum

How long before you relax do you stop using MN?

Not sure. This is my first time being truly consistant with the MN. I will probably stop this week, which will give me a week to be MN free. I will probably co wash or wash once and make sure my hair is well moisturized before I get the relaxer. I need to do a search on the forum to see how long others waited before they stopped.