question: do you always have to seal after you moisturize?

PureSilver

Re: question

I find it's better that way. It helps to hold in the moisture longer in your hair especially if your hair dries out quickly. I just have to find a moisturizer my hair is in love with, my sealants are the least of my problems.

Jace032000

You don't have to --- but if you live in a colder climate where your hair tends to dry out faster---than you may benefit from it. When I seal in the winter, I usually use something heavy like coconut oil verses in the summer when it's warmer and calls for a lighter oil.

Pennefeather

You don't have to --- but if you live in a colder climate where your hair tends to dry out faster---than you may benefit from it. When I seal in the winter, I usually use something heavy like coconut oil verses in the summer when it's warmer and calls for a lighter oil.

Jace032000,
Do you find that the coconut oil solidifies on your hair in the cold weather?

Whimsy

I don't think you HAVE to.
But for ME it works best. I get best results when I do.

overtherainbow

I think this depends on your porosity. If you're very low-po, once you're able to penetrate the hair shaft with moisture, I don't think its necessary to seal since your hair will be able to hold onto the moisture longer. But if you're hi-po, sealing is just as important as moisturizing because the moisture will escape as your hair dries. I always seal after I apply any moisture to my hair, or else I would be back at square one in less than an hour.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I mixed a little argan oil in my leave in so there is no need to seal anymore. I still add evoo to the ends to be on the safe side

almond eyes

I really think it depends. If you are at the TWA stage then no. I think the sealants come into play for your ends. Oils and butters just sit at the top of TWAs and because the hair cannot be protectively styled all the oils and butters won't necessarily make your hair less dry. I would perhaps use a spritz that perhaps contains a light oil.

If your natural hair is more than six inches I do think your ends need a sealant to keep them from being dry and brushing up against your hair.

But again all of this depends on whether your hair is lo po or hi po. I am hi po.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Evolving78

I think this depends on your porosity. If you're very low-po, once you're able to penetrate the hair shaft with moisture, I don't think its necessary to seal since your hair will be able to hold onto the moisture longer. But if you're hi-po, sealing is just as important as moisturizing because the moisture will escape as your hair dries. I always seal after I apply any moisture to my hair, or else I would be back at square one in less than an hour.

i can't seal everyday. it causes me buildup! i agree with your post!

cynd

Mixing a water-based moisturizer with an oil and applying that together seems to work best for me. Otherwise, I need to moisturize more often.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me

@Jace032000,
Do you find that the coconut oil solidifies on your hair in the cold weather?

It does in my hair, but I like it. In my area most winter mornings are below zero. I like to swing my twists and listen to them tinkle. It sounds like glass tinkling. Once I get indoors, they soften right up. Just don't try to do anything with your hair while it's hard and you'll be OK.

tjrj1998

I stopped becausue I could never get the amount of sealant right and my hair felt greasy.
What I do know is condition my hair after a wash, plop a tee shirt on until I feel its sufficiently drier and then I spray on a water and oil mixture. I do this the following day (morning and night) and then alternate just water and the oil/water mix there after.

It leaves me with hair that is soft and best of all not greasy to the touch.

When I moisturize my daughters hair (she is lucky enough where coconut oil works very well as a moisturizer). When I was using conditioners to moisturize she always had a bit of breakage. I do this once or twice a week/ I always use shortening or a little good ole fashioned grease on the ends. Her hair splits really easily and oil just doesn't work very well.

PJaye

Only on wet, freshly DCed hair. The moisture I receive from DCing last between 4-5 days, and I do a mid-week refresher with just a creamy leave-in until the next DC session.