2014 Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge

toaster

A little weekend bump! Going to cowash and tea rinse tonight. It's so cold outside I don't feel like wetting my hair, so I'll wait until I'm in for the night.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Thanks for hosting toaster. This challenge has contributed the most to my nice retention last year. I retained about 4.5-5 inches last year.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? I usually do twists, but because I am in the Crown & Glory challenge, I will be putting braids in my own hair. I will put the braids in various updo styles just like I do w/my twists.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?: I moisturize and seal my twists/braids every other day.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention/hair health

5. When and how will you restyle your hair? Every 3 - 4 weeks. I will then wear my hair loose or bun for up to three days until I put in a new set of braids. I'm still testing exactly how long my braids will last.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You will not be an official challenger without one). See attached.

Attachments

• Hair Dec 28 Back.jpg
    Hair Dec 28 Back.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 69

toaster

Welcome Froreal3.

While I've never actively participated in this challenge, bunning has been the way I've retained length through 2 hair journeys, so I know it works. Glad to have you along! Can't wait to see a picture of your braids!

Kim0105

I will be applying and massaging my sulphur oil later this evening. Also going to mist my hair with conditioner distilled water mix and baggy overnight. My hair will remain in flat twists until after my run in the morning. Will do a twist out for church.

myfaithrising

That's it, I'm in. Here are my deets..

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? I will live primarily in mini twists, I've decided that I love the convenience and the versatility.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
Wash day is Sunday, I pre poo on Saturday night, wash Sunday am, I use my Joico k-pak or a light protein for 15 min or so under a plastic cap, I rinse then air dry until damp. I spritz my tea rinse and add a moisturizing deep conditioner and sit under heat for a half hour or so. Then it's on to the LOL method which is the best thing since sliced bread. I sit and install mini twists which take hours and then I set into bantu knots to style. Each set lasts 2 weeks. I wash with the twists in every other week. I can do this long term, I love it. To switch up I like to put my twists into a bun, can I add Marley hair to make my bun or is that against the rules? ?

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning
I am natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
I want to retain all of my growth this year

5. When and how will you restyle your hair? I restyle in various updos during the week or I'll bun for a couple of days

6. Include Starting Pic.

Here's a pic of the just taken down bko, I like the pixie cut
View attachment 240977

View attachment 240979

And here is what the untwisted, ready for pre poo hair looks like

ForumRunner_20140105_001148.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140105_000622.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140105_000622.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20140105_000858.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140105_000858.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 67

toaster

Welcome myfaithrising! I hope you're enjoying your Sunday wash day!

If you put marley hair in your bun to make it a little fluffier I won't tell anybody. :look:

Definitely did not cowash yesterday. Brewing my tea now and then I'll get started.

toaster

Just dropping a note to myself that my hair grew and retained length a LOT when I cowashed daily during the summer months. Thinking about going back to that. I'll be working in a corporate environment this summer but maybe if I use a little gel and make sure that my hair is not dripping wet I can smooth my hair into a nice low bun and still get my growth.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
My braids. I will try to keep in for 4 weeks.

ForumRunner_20140105_193357.jpg

ForumRunner_20140105_193410.jpg

The below pic is a twist out on almost reverted hair. This is why ppl don't believe me when I say I don't have a lot of hair. Low density woes. :( Twists and twist outs look immensely better and more full. But I want to keep my hair in a long term protective style.

ForumRunner_20140105_193431.jpg

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

toaster

Froreal3

Your braids are so neat! I have never managed to part my hair and actually see scalp! Plus as you wash them I bet they'll fluff up and you will love hem even more.

Can't wait to see how the stand up to your future wash days.

prettybyrd

It is 9 degrees right now. Because of the dry heat in the house, I've been upping my GHE treatments.

I took my twists down yesterday because they were starting to look a mess, so I'm going to go back to buns for a while. I will work on wearing twists once it's warmer. Right now I'm in Celie braids.

I washed with Anita Grant babasu poo bar, and moisturized with my aloe vera gel and rose water spritz, then sealed with shea butter. My braids are so soft right now! :)

EnExitStageLeft

I've been bunning exclusively for the last month. I may do a braidout this weekend. But other then that buns are where it's at.

toaster

Glad everyone is doing well! Jealous of those not in the cold. I'm supposed to travel back to Texas today, so hopefully my plane can get out of here and I can be back home.

Today should be my deep condition day, but with travel plans and such I'm putting it off until tomorrow. Hopefully I can slather my hair in some vatika frosting and put it up in a bun tonight. Tomorrow the plan is to try my curlformers. Going to stop by Sally's and pick up a few extra just in case.

Tibbar

toaster, it sounds like everyone has a great plan for dealing with this horrible weather. We have a predicted high of 9 degrees. Luckily my twists play nice with hats. I have larger than normal twists in right now but I may make them smaller this weekend. They are not stylish at all, strictly functional! Has not stopped me from rocking them though :lol:

I am using a variety of My Honey Child products right now and I kind of love. :love3:them!