~~~Relaxed Bunning Thread~~~

Cherry89

"Bunning for the year" I love buns! it has helped tremendously with retention, this is def a keeper until I get to wsl.

belletropjolie

I have been bunning continuously since October of last year. Every damn day although I do wear a wig on special occasions.

I've also been stretching so I don't yet know how much I will retain from that period.

I basically cowash everyday and protein as needed. I am planning to switch to weaves as the winter is wreaking havoc on my ends. I will be watching this thread though.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
To help the nape to strengthen, I have my stylist apply relaxer there mins before rinsing to ensure it gets texturized (so to speak) but not bone straight.

divachyk

Buns are wonderful but if you ever need to change it up, which I do often, croc clips (Sally's) are wonderful protective styling tools for buns or french twists. These are my go to styles! I find myself french twisting more than bunning.

Cute chignon but I wouldn't use the pony holder he used and I would use good days hair pins instead of bobby pins.

Leesh

Leesh I love your buns! Can you elaborate on your deep moisture bun method? I love wet bunning & I wash/cowash often but if I can get in a good DC while bunning, I'm game.

bebezazueta...

I picked up this idea here in this thread a few yrs. back, tweeked it and have been goin hard ever since:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=497088

It makes so much sense, cuz back in the days of Jheri curls we were always stumped as to why our hairs seem to get sooooo long with a curl job. Well naturally, the constant moisture allowed us to retain every inkling of hair that grew out of our scalps. I literally saturate it, as you would an actual JC. So what I do is use a great Water/Oil based Jheri Curl activator or make my own Shay whip and saturate it every other day, as opposed to DC. right before the twist up. DC every 7 to 10 days. For me "Less" manipulation is "More" hair.
I wash in the up position, DC in the up position, airdry in the up position, Moisturize and start over.

I literally will not see my hair down almost the entire time Im doing this. So its a veryyyy nice surprise on relaxer day. (Usually)

Last edited:

Evolving78

my hair isn't the length i want to be to go full-time with bunning. when i get to MBL, or WL i will feel more comfortable. i have fine hair and i just want them to be more bigger, thicker. and fuller, without any assistance.

SuchaLady

Gorgeous!!

Buns are wonderful but if you ever need to change it up, which I do often, croc clips (Sally's) are wonderful protective styling tools for buns or french twists. These are my go to styles! I find myself french twisting more than bunning.

Cute chignon but I wouldn't use the pony holder he used and I would use good days hair pins instead of bobby pins.

bebezazueta

bebezazueta...

I picked up this idea here in this thread a few yrs. back, tweeked it and have been goin hard ever since:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=497088

It makes so much sense, cuz back in the days of Jheri curls we were always stumped as to why our hairs seem to get sooooo long with a curl job. Well naturally, the constant moisture allowed us to retain every inkling of hair that grew out of our scalps. I literally saturate it, as you would an actual JC. So what I do is use a great Water/Oil based Jheri Curl activator or make my own Shay whip and saturate it every other day, as opposed to DC. right before the twist up. DC every 7 to 10 days. For me "Less" manipulation is "More" hair.
I wash in the up position, DC in the up position, airdry in the up position, Moisturize and start over.

I literally will not see my hair down almost the entire time Im doing this. So its a veryyyy nice surprise on relaxer day. (Usually)

Thanks lady! I may add scurl back in my Reggie!

WantNatural

DivaChyck, can you please explain how you use the croc clips for your buns?

Babysaffy

Whoop whoop! SO just ordered me some spin pins on eBay!

I've been watching you tube vids for inspiration. Want to get some pretty accessories now!

crlsweetie912

Whoop whoop! SO just ordered me some spin pins on eBay!

I've been watching you tube vids for inspiration. Want to get some pretty accessories now!

Dollar store and flea market I always find pretty flowers, pins and clips for accessories. Also any asian BSS...

Angel of the North

This week I'm just going simple as don't want to cause damage with the band. I'm dying to buy some Good Hair Day pins!!

Babysaffy and any other ladies from the UK, you can get the GHD pins here on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOOD-HAIR...=UK_Hair_Accessories&var=&hash=item1e74732062

Goody spin pins (I think these are the small ones)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goody-hai...91?pt=UK_Hair_Accessories&hash=item416fac6327

Goody spin pins (I think these are the large ones) It says they are not
available on line but can be found in larger branches.
http://www.boots.com/en/Goody-Simple-Styles™-Spin-Pin_1190542/

divachyk

DivaChyck, can you please explain how you use the croc clips for your buns?

DivaChy, thanks for all of the tips and pictures. I will be copying some of those buns.
You're welcome Rozlewis

WantNatural
Twirl my hair around in a bun
Before getting to the very end of my hair
Clip croc clip on my hair
Tuck the tail of the hair under the croc clip
I know it's kind of hard to visualize. Does that help? Let me know.

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
Looks like I will be hanging out in bun land for a few months. I am really trying to surpass waist by my next relaxer in April. I had been wearing lacefront wigs but they have been taking a toll on my hairline.

Babygrowth

This thread will come in handy this summer/fall when I rotate btwn bunning and rollersetting. I'm subbing!!!

Anyone ever try the foam bun clip makers? I just saw an infomercial not to long ago and wondered about them...

jcdlox

this thread is right on time! I'm fakin it til I can make it with a phony bun over wet neck length relaxed hair. I'm setting a goal to bun most of 2013 so I can get to SL or past this year and grow out layers.

anybody have success stories on how much growth and how long it took by bunnning? please share! :yep:

sunnieb

jcdlox bunning back in 2009 got me from a broken/damaged SL to a healthy APL in about 7 months.

Bunning works! :)

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

sunnieb

Really?!? Wow! I'm even more excited about this now! Off to youtube bun tutorials!

Yes! But I remember being a hardcore bunner back then. I didn't even know how to do the cutsie buns at first. I would just twist, tuck, and pin.

My friend teased me about my little "ball" I wore everyday, but when she saw my growth, she tried bunning too!

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

SuchaLady

I have to find something to secure my buns. :/ Elastics are too harsh, silk scrunchies work but they don't hold my hair as tight as Id like and I feel like am too bald for banana clips. I ordered the small and they were too small. I feel like the large will laugh at me.