Naturals that went back to relaxing, any regrets?

metro_qt

I haven't read the whole thread, but I was natural for about 4 years... I had thick hair...which meant many knots and tangles.. and it wasn't for the lack of me taking care of it...
I was in the shower every night washing, detangling, etc.

I stayed between shoulder length and APL... my hair wouldn't grow just because I was constantly detangling huge dreads..
I do not exaggerate when I say that..My hair would clump very easily within the day and the different textures would just matt together.

Long story short.. I decided to texturize 2 years ago,and I'm very happy with the decision. This year, I decided to relax... my I guess my stylist didn't clean out his ear wax... and the result was Texlaxed hair.

I'm fine with it... I kinda have the best of both worlds..(actually, my hair's still very curly... so no I don't)

I still might take the bonelax plunge, but for right now, I'm happy.
Oh yes. My hair has finally grown to brastrap again, and is thriving....
I hope to make it to waist length by the end of next year,
and with my hair the way it is now, i know it's fully achievable.

Attachments

• HairMTJuly20Small.jpg
    HairMTJuly20Small.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

michaela

Natural 4b
with the Head aches of Detangling and now that school has started with a new job coming....im thinking long and hard about it. I see Beautiful Natural and Relax Ladies but i dont know?

felicia

Well, after tinkering with the idea, I decided to relax. I used ORS and I'm a little past shoulder length, but I need a trim. I have no regrets so far, but it's only been an hour :lol:. Thanks for your advice everyone.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Well, after tinkering with the idea, I decided to relax. I used ORS and I'm a little past shoulder length, but I need a trim. I have no regrets so far, but it's only been an hour :lol:. Thanks for your advice everyone.

Wow!!!! You did it huh? Did you go all the way straight? Any pics?

Forever in Bloom

Glad you made the right decision for yourself; otherwise, it would have driven you crazy! :drunk:

felicia

Wow!!!! You did it huh? Did you go all the way straight? Any pics?

yeah, I just said what the heck, if I want I go back to natural I can do it at another time. I don't know how straight it is yet (I still have the conditioner on), but it looks pretty straight. I don't have a camera, so no pictures.

2inspireU

I haven't read the whole thread, but I was natural for about 4 years... I had thick hair...which meant many knots and tangles.. and it wasn't for the lack of me taking care of it...
I was in the shower every night washing, detangling, etc.

I stayed between shoulder length and APL... my hair wouldn't grow just because I was constantly detangling huge dreads..
I do not exaggerate when I say that..My hair would clump very easily within the day and the different textures would just matt together.

Long story short.. I decided to texturize 2 years ago,and I'm very happy with the decision. This year, I decided to relax... my I guess my stylist didn't clean out his ear wax... and the result was Texlaxed hair.

I'm fine with it... I kinda have the best of both worlds..(actually, my hair's still very curly... so no I don't)

I still might take the bonelax plunge, but for right now, I'm happy.
Oh yes. My hair has finally grown to brastrap again, and is thriving....
I hope to make it to waist length by the end of next year,
and with my hair the way it is now, i know it's fully achievable.

Your hair is awesome! I am texturized now too. However, I think I want to relax. Did your stylist apply relaxer over your texturized hair? Did you use a texturizer or a relaxer as a "texturizer"? I'm curious because I will self relax my hair if it is possible.

nubiangoddess3

I was natural for 2 year.. relaxed cause I couldnt deal with my hair as it got longer (didnt know how to style it). After being relax for 1 year I cut off the relaxer cause my hair is fine and thin ( I dont have that many strands of hair).

I regretted relaxing cause my hair would be 2 times longer but, I'm happy now cause I really believe I retain length better being natural..

Last edited:
Well I am natural now and I am contemplating getting a relaxer. The only thing is I would only be relaxing for maybe a year and then transitioning back to natural. My reason for wanting to relax is because I bc'd and kept my natural hair braided and weaved and I really can't deal with it so I would just like to start over by transitioning and getting to know my hair as it grows out that way I would be able to manage it. Only thing is that I would feel like I would regret it because I would be relaxing so that I can go back to natural.

bettytoo

I went natural because I thought that my hair would be healthier and grow longer without the use of chemicals. I also missed the thickness that my hair once had.Well, after I BC'ed and I got to know my natural hair at first I loved it but it got to be such a hassle for me. My hair was too thick and the amount of time that I spent on it on wash days was horrible. I was exhausted and I felt like a slave to my hair. I had to plan my schedule around my hair because my wash days was an all day affair. I had to struggle just to get my hair into a ponytail and on most days I could not wear my hair out because I looked a mess. Also, my natural hair would not recieve hardly any product known to mankind. It was just not worth the hassle and was taking up too much of my life. I wanted the look of natural hair without all of the hassle so I texturized instead and now I am happy and relieved so no I do not regret it in the least.

Girl i feel the same way. but i just kept braidng my hair so i didn't have to deal with her .and no after 5 long years .my hair isn't shoulder lenght. so i'm going to get a textizer. at least i'll be able to put my hair in a bun with out my hair fighting it. i hope it works out .love bettytoo

Aggie

yeah, I just said what the heck, if I want I go back to natural I can do it at another time. I don't know how straight it is yet (I still have the conditioner on), but it looks pretty straight. I don't have a camera, so no pictures.

Congrats felicia, update us on the pics, okay? I can't wait to see them.

glamazon386

I think I'm going to texturize around Christmas time. I've been thinking about it quite a bit for the past few months and when I went to get my hair done the other day my stylist mentioned it to me so I think that was a sign. The longer my hair gets, the more it is shrinking. I still feel like I'm bald headed even though I have a good amount of hair now. He told me how he wants to do it, and it sounds about right and I'll still have my fro. The curl will just loosen a little bit and hang better. I'm just gonna go ahead and do it. I trust him as I've been going to him for almost 2 years now. I let him highlight my hair a year ago so it won't be the first time he's put a chemical in my hair. I am always pleased with his results.

I've been natural for 2 years now and I think I'm over it. I only went natural to start over fresh since my relaxed hair was thin and damaged. It had gotten better after being here on the board for a year but I only relaxed a few times a year anyway and was curious to see what my natural texture looked like. As far as the thin hair thing goes, it turns out that my hair is thin by nature. Nothing I can do about it. I never went natural to make a statement. It's just what I felt like doing at the time.

I can't really do much with my hair now anyway and I'm tired of having it covered up the majority of the time for that reason. My hair is usually in a weave, under a wig or pulled back in a bun. I did the same thing when I was relaxed. It's too long to be a short hairstyle but it's too short to be considered long. I don't wear natural hairstyles, i.e. twists, braids, coils, etc. because I don't like how they look on my fine hair. If I get it straightened, it's a lot of work to keep it straight. It only looks good for a few days and after that I don't feel like being bothered. Whats the point in putting all this care and TLC into my hair and having a good amount just to not even wear it out? I'm tired... I'm going back to the chemicals. At least I'll be able to rollerset and have my biweekly appointments and styles. I've really missed that.

Last edited:

Jetblackhair

I think I'm going to texturize around Christmas time. I've been thinking about it quite a bit for the past few months and when I went to get my hair done the other day my stylist mentioned it to me so I think that was a sign. The longer my hair gets, the more it is shrinking. I still feel like I'm bald headed even though I have a good amount of hair now. He told me how he wants to do it, and it sounds about right and I'll still have my fro. The curl will just loosen a little bit and hang better. I'm just gonna go ahead and do it. I trust him as I've been going to him for almost 2 years now. I let him highlight my hair a year ago so it won't be the first time he's put a chemical in my hair. I am always pleased with his results.

I've been natural for 2 years now and I think I'm over it. I only went natural to start over fresh since my relaxed hair was thin and damaged. It had gotten better after being here on the board for a year but I only relaxed a few times a year anyway and was curious to see what my natural texture looked like. As far as the thin hair thing goes, it turns out that my hair is thin by nature. Nothing I can do about it. I never went natural to make a statement. It's just what I felt like doing at the time.

I can't really do much with my hair now anyway and I'm tired of having it covered up the majority of the time for that reason. My hair is usually in a weave, under a wig or pulled back in a bun. I did the same thing when I was relaxed. It's too long to be a short hairstyle but it's too short to be considered long. I don't wear natural hairstyles, i.e. twists, braids, coils, etc. because I don't like how they look on my fine hair. If I get it straightened, it's a lot of work to keep it straight. It only looks good for a few days and after that I don't feel like being bothered. Whats the point in putting all this care and TLC into my hair and having a good amount just to not even wear it out? I'm tired... I'm going back to the chemicals. At least I'll be able to rollerset and have my biweekly appointments and styles. I've really missed that.

I totally understand how you feel, the last 3 weeks is the first time I have worn my hair out daily since I don't know when.

I've been keeping it under my half wigs and I was getting tired of it. Luckily my twist outs have been working for me and I'm finally enjoying "my hair" at its new length.

It sounds like you've been missing the enjoyment of your hair too. I'm sure your texturized hair is going to look great because I know you can work it. :lachen: I'm excited for you!

CollegeGrad

I was going to relax this weekend but chickened out and got a press instead. It's actually lasting, so I might just wear it like this from now on. I just don't know how I'm going to make it last in the summer.

Like someone else mentioned, the more my hair grows, the worse the shrinkage is. It is frustrating knowing that you have all this length and it won't show. I just want to show my length.

I'm undecided, but something tells me if I do relax that I won't regret it.

Robin41

No regrets for me. I relaxed after 2-3 years of being natural and I've never been more in love with my hair. I think giving it a break from chemicals for awhile did my hair a world of good and now it's healthier, longer and stronger than it had been since I was a kid. The key is taking care of it so it doesn't get chemically damaged again. But if it does, I know I can always take that break again and it will grow it out healthy and strong.

It's a personal decision whether to stay on the road to natural or revert back to relaxed hair but I know for me, it was the right thing to do. I love my hair again!

Country gal

:lol: @ the bolded. I love your honesty:yep:.

The first time I went natural was in 2005. I bc'd and ended up relaxing 5 or 6 months later. That time I really regretted relaxing. I felt I relaxed for the wrong reasons and hadn't given my natural hair enough of a chance.

A year later in 2006 I bc'd again because my hair was a straight up mess, shedding and breaking all over. 2 years and 4 months later, this past July, I texturized my hair. It's only been two months but so far I have no regrets and I don't think I will. I really know my hair this time and I did a lot more research on relaxing this time and really had a process to follow vs. just doing it.

This time I just feel very happy about everything. My hair still has lots of texture in it, but straightens and stays straight much better. I can get my freshly washed hair in a ponytail easily, something I could never do with my natural hair. My braid-outs/twist outs last longer too.

Hopeful I didn't know you relaxed your hair. It looks good.

Country gal

I feel you glam. I have been wanting to wear my hair in my straighter styles or a braid out like Sylver. It seems to be too much work. It is easier for me to sport the natural styles like twists and wash and go. I want to get my grown and sexy on, I don't feel as sexy with twists. I started wearing wigs to give my hair a break from styling. It has grown. I want to be able to have a more polished look. I don't get that as much when I straightened my hair because it lasts like two days. I am not ready to take the plunge yet. My last perm was 4 years ago.

Country gal

Like someone else mentioned, the more my hair grows, the worse the shrinkage is. It is frustrating knowing that you have all this length and it won't show. I just want to show my length. I'm undecided, but something tells me if I do relax that I won't regret it.

I think there is so truth to it. I actually have longer hair but my TWA just gets thicker not neccesarily bigger like some of the other naturals.

locabouthair

I've been natural --> relaxed --> natural --> relaxed --> natural. Looking back, I have never really enjoyed my hair -- natural or relaxed. There were always reasons why I felt and looked miserable with my hair.

All my life, my hair has been a burden - a source of misery and despair!

(I'm shocked by this realization. I didn't realized I felt this way :nono:. I think I had a breakthrough :yep:.)

You just described me. People have been telling me to transition and I'm like uh, I had hair problems when I was natural too :lol: so there has to be another solution.

And like you, my hair has been a burden for most of my life but thats another thread.

justsimply

I regretted it to the point that it only lasted about 10 mths. My hair was healthy when I was relaxed; I just prefer my natural hair...enough to bc after only 7 mths of transitioning although I don't like short hair on me. Some people don't do well with chemicals, but for most I think it's all about preference. The important thing is to find what works for you in maintaining healthy hair and then chose your style.

glamazon386

I feel you glam. I have been wanting to wear my hair in my straighter styles or a braid out like Sylver. It seems to be too much work. It is easier for me to sport the natural styles like twists and wash and go. I want to get my grown and sexy on, I don't feel as sexy with twists. I started wearing wigs to give my hair a break from styling. It has grown. I want to be able to have a more polished look. I don't get that as much when I straightened my hair because it lasts like two days. I am not ready to take the plunge yet. My last perm was 4 years ago.

This is my biggest issue. I'm just gonna go ahead and do it around the holidays. I planned on getting my hair straightened and wearing it out anyway.

glamazon386

I think there is so truth to it. I actually have longer hair but my TWA just gets thicker not neccesarily bigger like some of the other naturals.

My hair appears to be doing this too. The front hangs more but the rest of it is staying the same or shrinking more.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I regret not taking the time to learn how to handle natural hair better.:ohwell: I had given up and I hated the fact that that I quit so easy. It has enabled me this time to be more determined and focused. I am also learning why my past natural journeys went sour. I mishandled my hair. I am better equipped this time and have a better support system. That alone has gotten me this far.

asummertyme

Nope no regrets at all, i do miss it every so often, but i could not handle those knots and i harldy ever wore my hair out..it was often in brids or weave anyways..but once i relaxed i had to cut off alot of hair b/c i had color and it was damaged b/c of the double processing..so there went alot of progress down the tube...