2014 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnieb

It looks like your hair is curling or coiling together giving the illusion of "balding". Have you noticed more than the usual shedding?

Not really having more than normal shedding.

I do think my newgrowth is really tight this relaxer cycle. Or maybe I'm noticing it this time. I don't know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
sunnieb, my curls clump like yours but I don't notice much scalp showing. However, I don't think you're going bald. Stretching make weird things happen.

sunnieb

Thanks ladies. When I relax next time I'll be sure to take a pic of this area with all the hair straight.

Ya'll know I lurves me some relaxer, but I'll dump it with the quickness if I think my hair is suffering. :)

Last edited:

divachyk

sunnieb, you bring up a great point! I had a Komaza Hair Analysis and they said my hair is growing in thinner than the length. It has me thinking. No lie.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Ok buds, give it to me straight. Am I going bald, or is this normal for 14 weeks' worth of newgrowth? Just seems like too much of my scalp is showing between the curlies! Ugh! Eta: sorry if the pics come in upside down. Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF
It looks like it's just the curls. Next time you wash, try blow drying on cool or medium to unravel the curls and make another assessment. My hair in the back does the same thing, so it actually makes my nape seem shorter than it is.

SuchaLady

Girl don't give me love, tell me if I need to give up relaxers and buy some rogaine! :lol: Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

I don't think you are going bald :giggle: I love your little curls though! I'm knocking on 2 years post and you still have more definition than I do :lol:

sunnieb

Ok Ok, ya'll talked me off the going natural ledge - BUT I'm really watching my hairline now. I'm tellin' ya'll there's too much of my scalp showing! :lol:

missyrayne19

Ok buds, give it to me straight. Am I going bald, or is this normal for 14 weeks' worth of newgrowth?

Just seems like too much of my scalp is showing between the curlies! Ugh!

Eta: sorry if the pics come in upside down.

Oh my goodness, those cuuuuurls :lick:

Evolving78

all of my buddies have gone over to the transition side, well most of them! i'm trying to stretch until Feb. i'm currently 9 weeks post.

xu93texas

shortdub78, I'm still hanging with you. Are u still wigging it out?

I'm 12 weeks post tomorrow. I think my next touch up will be at 4 months post -November. I did a successful 6 month stretch earlier this year. My plan for the fall/winter is to start wearing my hair out more with roller sets and going back to the salon on a regular basis. I'll also wear wigs once I get deeper into the stretch.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Evolving78

shortdub78, I'm still hanging with you. Are u still wigging it out?

I'm 12 weeks post tomorrow. I think my next touch up will be at 4 months post -November. I did a successful 6 month stretch earlier this year. My plan for the fall/winter is to start wearing my hair out more with roller sets and going back to the salon on a regular basis. I'll also wear wigs once I get deeper into the stretch.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

hey! i know we are pretty much left of the wreckin crew! :lol: plus we are in the SL challenge too! yes i am still wigging it. i need to wash them, but i have yet to buy a stand, so they could dry. i am also looking for a decent blow dryer. what i really want my have to be put on hold until christmas or cyber monday, but i need something now. i bought one from Walgreens yesterday and took that sucka back. i will hit up sally's hopefully soon. i wanted to wash my hair today and wear it out, but it's not looking good. i may just have to put on my wig and make it happen.

i have over an inch of new growth, so i am really trying to focus on strength and moisture. how is stretching going for you

xu93texas

hey! i know we are pretty much left of the wreckin crew! :lol: plus we are in the SL challenge too! yes i am still wigging it. i need to wash them, but i have yet to buy a stand, so they could dry. i am also looking for a decent blow dryer. what i really want my have to be put on hold until christmas or cyber monday, but i need something now. i bought one from Walgreens yesterday and took that sucka back. i will hit up sally's hopefully soon. i wanted to wash my hair today and wear it out, but it's not looking good. i may just have to put on my wig and make it happen. i have over an inch of new growth, so i am really trying to focus on strength and moisture. how is stretching going for you

I want a new blow dryer as well. The one I have is mediocre. Stretching has been so easy for me this year. I went back to using heat on a weekly basis (blow drying and using It's a 10 leave in). I use a protein treatment on a weekly basis and follow up with a moisturizing DC weekly.

Evolving78

I want a new blow dryer as well. The one I have is mediocre. Stretching has been so easy for me this year. I went back to using heat on a weekly basis (blow drying and using It's a 10 leave in). I use a protein treatment on a weekly basis and follow up with a moisturizing DC weekly.

i'm really in my feelings right now. i knew something was kind of off in my crown area. there is a lot of breakage going on in that area. i don't know what to do at this point. i don't know if i should continue stretching or at least wait 5 more weeks. i got a lot of new growth and the two textures is putting a lot of stress on that area. i new something was wrong, since i was having some irritation in the spot for some time. i know i can't mess with random box colors anymore. and i won't be relaxing my hair bone straight anymore...smh my hair is too fragile dealing with this new growth. and i'm not self relaxing or doing any coloring at home.

i went and got a blow dryer. i got that Jilbere Porcelain. it's a really nice dryer, but i didn't have a great blow drying experience due to me trying to rush. i think i will braid my hair going back soon and just clean my scalp. i don't know...

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
i'm really in my feelings right now. i knew something was kind of off in my crown area. there is a lot of breakage going on in that area. i don't know what to do at this point. i don't know if i should continue stretching or at least wait 5 more weeks. i got a lot of new growth and the two textures is putting a lot of stress on that area. i new something was wrong, since i was having some irritation in the spot for some time. i know i can't mess with random box colors anymore. and i won't be relaxing my hair bone straight anymore...smh my hair is too fragile dealing with this new growth. and i'm not self relaxing or doing any coloring at home. i went and got a blow dryer. i got that Jilbere Porcelain. it's a really nice dryer, but i didn't have a great blow drying experience due to me trying to rush. i think i will braid my hair going back soon and just clean my scalp. i don't know...

Have you tried protein to combat the breakage?

divachyk

Split ends have haunted me for much of 2014.

Other than the obvious: no harsh shampoos, moisturize/seal, DC, keep hair hydrated, trims, gentle detangling, finger detangling and protein treatments, are you doing any other preventative techniques for combatting splits?

Long hair ladies, how do you deal with relaxer runoff other than layering on a thick layer of grease, oil, vaseline, etc? I'm thinking my hair chilling in the shampoo bowl being exposed to relaxer may be causing the issue.

Last edited:

Evolving78

shortdub78, are you manipulating that area a lot? That causes tenderness when I have new growth present.

that is just a bad area for me period, but i really think i have a tiny bald spot there. that area is badly broken, the majority of it is new growth with relaxed ends hanging on for dear life! i'm dcing my hair now. i'm about 10 weeks post now. if this dc works for me, i might still try to finish out the six month stretch. i just had a really bad weekend with my hair. but i got the detangling thing down. Man & Tail really works well. i'm doing alright with the daily moisturizing too. i will not mess with bonelaxing my hair, or doing my own relaxers anymore.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Have you tried protein to combat the breakage?

yes. i have been using reconstructors to help. i wash every 5 days and for the past few weeks i have been using protein. i have been using ORS replenishing, Nairobi, and Aphogee 2 min. i believe i got the breakage under control, but that blow dryer was too much for me to handle or i was just in too big of a hurry? i am going to try the tension method.

Evolving78

i'm testing out Silicon Mix tonight. i'm about to go and rinse it out soon. i finally get two wig stands, so i am going to wash my wigs tonight.

update (posted this in another thread)
ok, so my nervous breakdown is over! i had a wonderful washing experience! Silicon Mix is now my holy grail! first, i prepooed with coconut oil and nourish oil. next, i shampooed with elucence moisture, next i tee shirt blotted my hair and applied silicon mix in the shower starting with the new growth first in sections. after that, i got out of the shower and allowed the conditioner to stay on with no heat (plastic cap) for 30-40 mins. i hopped back in, and magic happened. i was actually able to detangle my hair in the shower! i haven't done that in 3 years. it felt like showering with The Rock Johnson! Yaass Gawd Nessa! my new growth was laid like Nene Leaks hunty! i added my detangler (because i'm not stupid) and my leave-ins, then proceeded to comb the products through. i got the hang of my new blow dryer. it took forever to dry my hair since i did it in a ton of sections.

right now my hair is so soft, has shine, and i can run my fingers through it! i don't even know what to do with it right now.

oh and i am SL. so i know i am going to be super geeked when i see my hair straightened.

i now have more confidence in transitioning to texlax and doing a long stretch. and i barely had any breakage. it was mechanical. (me)

Last edited:

divachyk

that is just a bad area for me period, but i really think i have a tiny bald spot there. that area is badly broken, the majority of it is new growth with relaxed ends hanging on for dear life! i'm dcing my hair now. i'm about 10 weeks post now. if this dc works for me, i might still try to finish out the six month stretch. i just had a really bad weekend with my hair. but i got the detangling thing down. Man & Tail really works well. i'm doing alright with the daily moisturizing too. i will not mess with bonelaxing my hair, or doing my own relaxers anymore.

shortdub78 what exactly about that area makes it the worst area of all areas? My crown is the thickest, coarsest and driest. DCing 2x weekly really helped me manage that area.

Babygrowth

I've been a bad buddy. No consistency in when I relax because long stretches are easy for me. I don't think I have buddies anymore haven't seen them post anywhere in a while. Hopefully next year will be better and more consistent. Every 16 weeks maybe?

Evolving78

shortdub78 what exactly about that area makes it the worst area of all areas? My crown is the thickest, coarsest and driest. DCing 2x weekly really helped me manage that area.

my crown area too! that area is a beast to deal with. i really like that Infusium Moisture Replenisher leave-in mist. i use that as a liquid moisturizer on my new growth and that area. i still use Wave Nouveau moisturizing mist, and SD Waterfall Mist. i got my hair plaited and pinned up right now. i will just spray those areas daily, and reapply my cream moisturizer every twice a week, since i wash every five days. so i will be washing again this sunday night. i think that is the only time i can do my hair and not have to be bothered or rush.

have you ever tried Silicon Mix? i was detangling in the shower! you hear me! detangling in the shower! :drunk::grin::lol: i started singing Touched A Dream and i don't even like that fool! i was dancing singing Usher's Good Kisser and Kem's Can You Feel It! when i was blow drying :lol:

Evolving78

Split ends have haunted me for much of 2014.

Other than the obvious: no harsh shampoos, moisturize/seal, DC, keep hair hydrated, trims, gentle detangling, finger detangling and protein treatments, are you doing any other preventative techniques for combatting splits?

Long hair ladies, how do you deal with relaxer runoff other than layering on a thick layer of grease, oil, vaseline, etc? I'm thinking my hair chilling in the shampoo bowl being exposed to relaxer may be causing the issue.

i think that is the only want to combat that.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
yes. i have been using reconstructors to help. i wash every 5 days and for the past few weeks i have been using protein. i have been using ORS replenishing, Nairobi, and Aphogee 2 min. i believe i got the breakage under control, but that blow dryer was too much for me to handle or i was just in too big of a hurry? i am going to try the tension method.

It was lack of protein and too much blow drying from the salon that had my crown breaking. When I started using protein and eliminating hear it stopped. Now, I blow on medium and my crown hasn't been suffering. My crown can tolerate intense manipulation, it just needs more protein and moisture than the rest of my head.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Split ends have haunted me for much of 2014. Other than the obvious: no harsh shampoos, moisturize/seal, DC, keep hair hydrated, trims, gentle detangling, finger detangling and protein treatments, are you doing any other preventative techniques for combatting splits? Long hair ladies, how do you deal with relaxer runoff other than layering on a thick layer of grease, oil, vaseline, etc? I'm thinking my hair chilling in the shampoo bowl being exposed to relaxer may be causing the issue.

Honestly, that's why I self relax. I've long came to the conclusion that your hair sitting in the sink while rinsing relaxer in the Salon eats it away. Whenever I self relaxed I never had issues with my ends (outside of wearing my hair out) but when I would let them relax its like I was getting a hair cut.

I tested it out but getting my ends cut before two weeks before a relaxer then seeing how much needed to be cut right after a relaxer. I would need my ends cut both times. When I would self relax, after getting my ends trimmed two weeks before, I wouldn't need my ends clipped :yep:

Self relaxing is not easy, but it does have its benefits.

Jobwright

I have been using Aphogee 2 min for the last 8-10 weeks at every wash. My hair has never been so healthy!!!! I was afraid of protein but not any more!!!! I always follow with a 30 minute dc with Aubry Honeysuckle Rose with heat. Protein has become a staple and so glad I broke my fears!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.