Reviving a Ratty Wig- your tips

LadyPaniolo

I know there are some serious wig wearing divas on here... so I need to tap into your knowledge here for a minute.

It seems like my favorite wig is reaching the ratted out stage way earlier than I would like- and I've already tried soaking it in some fabric softener and letting it dry.

The ends, especially in the back, and getting really tangly, rough and just :nono: busted looking. What can I do, apart from shelling out for another wig?

Tips please! I think I remember hearing something about dipping it in hot water or something... but I don't know and I don't want to do anything crazy and mess up my baby more than she already is.

LadyPaniolo

I should have said, it's a synthetic wig. I don't really do human hair... it's too pricey and I've had bad experiences with it :/

That's a neat idea, in the video. I am awful at rollersetting though :nono:

Maybe I could just cut off the ratty part?

ebonyseas

I pour almost boiling water over the ends after combing them out. Keep combing after you poor, leave wig to hang dry.

LadyPaniolo

It's really just that one section that is ratted out, the rest looks really realistic and great, which is why I don't want to waste the whole wig.

The back has a very loose slight curl to it... like if it had been "wrapped" so if I put a roller on it, the curl will be too tight compared to how it is supposed to be. Maybe I will try pouring the hot water and combing it, though I fear that might make it too straight. If it turns out messed up, I'll just cut that part off.

Thanks for your input ladies.

Chameleonchick

I forgot to mention that this didn't work for me. I didn't feel too bad because I got a good two months out of it.