Can you freeze a relaxer?

onyxdreams

Hello ladies as you can see I'm a newbie, my question is can you freeze the remainder of a relaxer in the freezer? If you can what steps are needed to be taken for it to be usable? any guidance is appreciated:yep:

PatTodd

Why would you have to freeze it? I have used leftover lye relaxer a few months later with no problems...but if it was a relaxer with activator, I would throw it away.

ajoyfuljoy

If you have to mix an activator into a relaxer base, the relaxer is usually only good for 4 hours.

I never heard of freezing the relaxer, I think most people just leave it out room temperature.

I like to buy only a small amount at a time so my batches are always fresh

onyxdreams

Why would you have to freeze it? I have used leftover lye relaxer a few months later with no problems...but if it was a relaxer with activator, I would throw it away.

Thank you ladies for replying,I was curios this isn't something I have actually done. Very often there is alot of relaxer left over and it gets thrown out so I wondered if there is anyway of "saving it". Pat Todd what's the longest you held on to your lye relaxer?

Maynard

I know some people who keep their relaxers at the bottom of the refrigerator. I dont know if this works, but people do it.

PatTodd

Thank you ladies for replying,I was curios this isn't something I have actually done. Very often there is alot of relaxer left over and it gets thrown out so I wondered if there is anyway of "saving it". Pat Todd what's the longest you held on to your lye relaxer?

I very rarely texlax my hair so it could be anywhere from 6 months to a year :perplexed. It had olive oil added too.

DivaD04

i used to when i was relaxing my hair, i did it for years...in the freezer for when i needed it or in the fridge, it works perectly fine for me. b/c it's a chemical, you may want to plastic wrap it or put it in a zip lock bag so it won't contaminate your food...b4 anyone ask, the chemical let's off fumes especially for those who dip their hand in the relaxer and touches the cup...and then when u throw it in the fridge w/ food w/o being causious, takes steps to keep healthy....otherwise ur good to go.

onyxdreams

i used to when i was relaxing my hair, i did it for years...in the freezer for when i needed it or in the fridge, it works perectly fine for me. b/c it's a chemical, you may want to plastic wrap it or put it in a zip lock bag so it won't contaminate your food...b4 anyone ask, the chemical let's off fumes especially for those who dip their hand in the relaxer and touches the cup...and then when u throw it in the fridge w/ food w/o being causious, takes steps to keep healthy....otherwise ur good to go.

Divado4 thanks for the details and wrapping with plastic wrap would make sense. Thank you. I have been a long time lurker and I just knew I read about freezing relaxers somewhere but I wasn't sure. Thank you

onyxdreams

To all the ladies that responded thank you for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it.I knew I could count on you lovely ladies to save my hair from trauma:drunk:

sprungonhairboards

so you wold leaveit at room temperture for almost 6months, and didn't have a problem that is amazing.

Why is it amazing? :look:

Relaxer is sitting on the shelf at room temperature for goodness knows how long before you buy it. It's not like it's vacuum sealed before you open it either so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

DivaD04

Relaxer is sitting on the shelf at room temperature for goodness knows how long before you buy it. It's not like it's vacuum sealed before you open it either so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

i think it's because it's when buy a kit, it's not mixed so when u add the activator a person who doesn't keep their relaxers that long would find this amazing since they're only suppose too be good for up to 4 hrs. but for those who do keep 'em longer than the 'activation time' wouldn't think nothing of it. not comparing to a premixed relaxer especially those that are in tubs. these may have (different) preservatives so that they can sit on shelves for x amount of time...i don't think she ment anything by this...jmo

Empress Yahudah

I have also heard of people keeping it in the fridge for a month or so till they need it again but I have never done it. I always just buy another

sprungonhairboards

i think it's because it's when buy a kit, it's not mixed so when u add the activator a person who doesn't keep their relaxers that long would find this amazing since they're only suppose too be good for up to 4 hrs. but for those who do keep 'em longer than the 'activation time' wouldn't think nothing of it. not comparing to a premixed relaxer especially those that are in tubs. these may have (different) preservatives so that they can sit on shelves for x amount of time...i don't think she ment anything by this...jmo

She never answered if she meant lye or no lye. So I assumed she meant lye. If she meant no-lye, the only kind that you have to mix, and mixed it, froze it and didnt go bald, now THAT would be amazing.

onyxdreams

Yes,unused relaxers are sitting on the shelf, To think of a partially used relaxer sitting at room temperature after being programmed to believe to disgard any leftover relaxers is amazing to ME.

mezzogirl

I keep my relaxer in the refrigerator for up to a year. I put the purchase date on the outside of the container. That has worked fine for me. :yep:
I have only done that with lye relaxers.

DivaD04

She never answered if she meant lye or no lye. So I assumed she meant lye. If she meant no-lye, the only kind that you have to mix, and mixed it, froze it and didnt go bald, now THAT would be amazing.

buah ha ha....girl u crazy! :lachen::grin: i've always used a no-lye with no problem but it was always put in the fridge or the freezer...i used lye once and for me lye burns my scalp as soon as i put one on and that was right after purchasing one.

onyxdreams

THANK YOU, before I started to educate myself on relaxers, I used many no Lye relaxers that instruct you to disgard any remaining relaxer. So now that I'm learning about Lye relaxers and the differences between lye and No lye relaxers it is amazing to me. Not to mention ,I'mjust excited to be on this board learning and interacting with you ladies. Now if my Original question was a silly newbie question apologize.

DivaD04

THANK YOU, before I started to educate myself on relaxers, I used many no Lye relaxers that instruct you to disgard any remaining relaxer. So now that I'm learning about Lye relaxers and the differences between lye and No lye relaxers it is amazing to me. Not to mention ,I'mjust excited to be on this board learning and interacting with you ladies. Now if my Original question was a silly newbie question apologize.

no question is a newbie question...well not to me anyway, i say no one will know unless they ask or just plain google the he// out of stuff they just want to know. Usually the boxes will say what's in it...girl take that box and educate urself...trust me, i google ingredients all the time and it blows me away of what i can find that can be caustic, is caustic, and have no proof of being caustic. so for anything u need, never kep quiet, a closed mouth doesn't get fed!

sprungonhairboards

buah ha ha....girl u crazy! :lachen::grin: i've always used a no-lye with no problem but it was always put in the fridge or the freezer...i used lye once and for me lye burns my scalp as soon as i put one on and that was right after purchasing one.

Oh okay, see I have never saved left over no-lye after it's been mixed. Shoot I use Phyto and that stuff is $60 so if I don't think I'll use it all I just take what I need out of the jar and use less activator and save the rest for next time. Now that I know you can mix it all and store it in the fridge I MAY try it. Nah probably not :lachen:

DivaD04

Oh okay, see I have never saved left over no-lye after it's been mixed. Shoot I use Phyto and that stuff is $60 so if I don't think I'll use it all I just take what I need out of the jar and use less activator and save the rest for next time. Now that I know you can mix it all and store it in the fridge I MAY try it. Nah probably not :lachen:

yup i've done that with a no-lye...mix half and use only that portion. girl, don't get lazy u know what works 4 u. i never used phyto so can't speak on that.

onyxdreams

no question is a newbie question...well not to me anyway, i say no one will know unless they ask or just plain google the he// out of stuff they just want to know. Usually the boxes will say what's in it...girl take that box and educate urself...trust me, i google ingredients all the time and it blows me away of what i can find that can be caustic, is caustic, and have no proof of being caustic. so for anything u need, never kep quiet, a closed mouth doesn't get fed!

Girl I apologize but I won't stop,I'm sure I have plenty of questions left in me:grin:.Now that I'm here I plan on absorbing this wealth of knowledge no matter what.as for googlingand researching yep I'm right there with you,it is amazing(my new favorite word) how they sneak dangerous chemicals into everything.

LadyEuphoria007

I've done this in the past and friends still do with mixed no-lye relaxers.

They still work just fine but they have a stronger chemical smell when you use them again, other than that though it's really the same.

DivaD04

Girl I apologize but I won't stop,I'm sure I have plenty of questions left in me:grin:.Now that I'm here I plan on absorbing this wealth of knowledge no matter what.as for googlingand researching yep I'm right there with you,it is amazing(my new favorite word) how they sneak dangerous chemicals into everything.

okay! folks are only out for one thing and that's money! 'some people' already think we don't read what we buy...but slowly but surely that's changing. people are catching on even with the "natural" products. man, folks ain't lying when they say hair care is a full time job. i just emailed mountain rose herbs the other day for their tea tree...to make sure it's really tea tree, ok that's off topic but u get my drift, tee hee!