Curlformers

Kanky

Ebay always has some, just check reviews first. Are you talking about the pink or fuschia? I can see if the vendor I bought mine from is still selling.

I want the fuschia ones. The pink and orange give too tight of a curl. I want to really stretch my hair out.

Lynn84

I used my knockoff curlformers last night. I ordered 40 thinking that would be enough. I ran out halfway through and had to use rollers on the other half of my head. *facepalm* Yes it is a mess. Lol!

The side with the curlformers was nicely stretched. My twa is longer than I expected it to be. I think I might flatiron later today to check my length. I will order 40 more before attempting to use them again though.

Nazaneen

why did the extra long barrel curls give me Shirley temple curls lol? My hair is weird.

.... said the Phablet

Nazaneen

Pics pretty please :)

Oh this was weeks ago LOL.
It gave me fairly tight curls, my hair was so short looking and this was b4 my big trim so i was waist length if not longer in back anyway.
I don't get how people get these stretched curls with them.:ohwell:

girlonfire

Oh this was weeks ago LOL.
It gave me fairly tight curls, my hair was so short looking and this was b4 my big trim so i was waist length if not longer in back anyway.
I don't get how people get these stretched curls with them.:ohwell:

Oh poo :/ really? That's intetesting. Have you experimented with diffetent products and it comes out the same each time?

girlonfire

Have y'all ever considered adding serums to your cf sets. If I'm not mistaken, they are supposed smooth the hair. A lot of them have at least 1 cone but if you're antsy about that theres always clarifying and dcs. I think I'll try one soon, specificallt the organix coconut milk serum.

Also, i think I'll try the it's a 10 leave in in conjunction with the serum. Many ladies in the setting to success 2014 challenge thread think it's bomb. They may not have the best hold but on the bright side, this combo sounds like the start if a beautiful flat iron job lol

Last edited:

Nazaneen

Oh poo :/ really? That's intetesting. Have you experimented with diffetent products and it comes out the same each time?

even gray rollers seem to make my hair shrink a lot. i seem to get tighter curls than other ladies ive seen... or it could be that my roots are so cockeyed because i suck at rolling lol
i guess its just the nature of my hair. plus the length as far as the rollers are concerned because the longer the hair the more times it goes arund..
im only bsl or so now though...

Last edited:

LilMissRed

I just ordered some other brand of cf from Amazon... After reading this thread now Im thinking that I should've ordered 2 packs. Guess if i run out I'll have to go to Sallys

Cherry89

I just ordered some other brand of cf from Amazon... After reading this thread now Im thinking that I should've ordered 2 packs. Guess if i run out I'll have to go to Sallys

Ditto, I will be using mines tonight. I brOught a 40 pack and a 24 pack off Amazon. But I might have needed the whole 80.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Ditto, I will be using mines tonight. I brOught a 40 pack and a 24 pack off Amazon. But I might have needed the whole 80.

You might be ok. It all depends on your section size. I use the starter pack of pink and yellow, plus I think 16 off ebay and that covers my whole head.

I section into four sections, which makes for an easier install and helps me ration.

Blairx0

I got away with using only 24. I could have used 2-4 more, but I think it depends on the size curlformers you get. I did a full write up on my recent usage here:

http://wp.me/p3yCFR-lv

I think I will used them more over the summer because I can sleep in them, but I wonder how they will play with flax seed gel.hhmm

Fhrizzball

Question. How do you moisturize your hair after a curformer set? I did a barrel curl set and tried to stretch them as per Naptural85's method but now a few days in it feels a bit dry or tangly since the hair is so stretched. I don't want to try straight oils as that just makes my hair greasy. Also how is everyone preserving yours? I can't seem to make mine presentable enough to wear down past a day or two.

uofmpanther

Thanks. I think I may buy the real ones and see if I notice a difference. It's so sad because my wide knockoffs are so great. I almost wonder if I just got the extra wides from a bad vendor (the vendor I bought my wides from didn't sell extra wides)

As an update, I ended up buying a small pack of the real extra wide curlformers. I compared it to my knockoffs, and they work the same. Apparently, the mouth on the extra wide is just more flexible than the others.

krissyhair

I had a great set today. In case anyone is interested, here was my regimen.

Shampoo sulfate free
Protein deep condition
Oil rinse with oil blend and moisturizing conditioner
Curl defining leave in
Install curl formers by finger combing. Used almost the entire pack
Sat under soft bonnet dryer on medium heat and speed for 1:45
Remove curl formers and finger comb with oil blend

It helped a lot today that the weather was a cool temperature with high air pressure.

girlonfire

Question. How do you moisturize your hair after a curformer set? I did a barrel curl set and tried to stretch them as per Naptural85's method but now a few days in it feels a bit dry or tangly since the hair is so stretched. I don't want to try straight oils as that just makes my hair greasy. Also how is everyone preserving yours? I can't seem to make mine presentable enough to wear down past a day or two.

I have when I deep condition my hair very well I do not need much after styling. Maybe you should up your deep conditioning game. Then again my hair is low porosity so to each his own.

BeautifulRoots

Man, I bought the 40 pack from amazon and now im thinking I should have purchased 2 packs. :-/ I hope I'll be able to get a decent set.

BeautyBlvd

Beauty Blvd.
Wow .. what a blast from the past. I haven't used them in a long time. I never really mastered them actually.

overtherainbow

I would like to do a curl former set but I don't like hooded dryers and they're a pain to sleep in. I would have to stretch my hair first then set on damp hair and air dry for 4 hours. That's waaay too many steps. I love the amount of stretch they give me though.

uofmpanther

I would like to do a curl former set but I don't like hooded dryers and they're a pain to sleep in. I would have to stretch my hair first then set on damp hair and air dry for 4 hours. That's waaay too many steps. I love the amount of stretch they give me though.

How about a soft bonnet? I used one before I got a hooded dryer

krissyhair

How about a soft bonnet? I used one before I got a hooded dryer

The soft bonnet dryer is everything. I start on soaking wet hair and it's done in a little over an hour, longer if you want it extra silky.

It's not worth it to try to sleep in those dang plastic things.

krissyhair

I haven't used one since the '90s. I vaguely remember my ears getting burned so I never tried again. I'm sure they improved on that now. What setting do you use? I might treat myself and give it a try
uofmpanther
krissyhair

I use it on medium heat and medium speed. Any hotter than medium is uncomfortable to me.

My soft bonnet attachment was only $8 at Sally's. It was a great investment, and gave new life to my old broken dryer.

uofmpanther

[USER=338599 said:
overtherainbow[/USER];20731163]I haven't used one since the '90s. I vaguely remember my ears getting burned so I never tried again. I'm sure they improved on that now. What setting do you use? I might treat myself and give it a try
uofmpanther
krissyhair

Usually medium, so I could take a nap, but I sometimes used high if I was in a hurry. They make ear covers if you are worried about your ears. I never used them for my soft bonnet, but I always use them with my hard bonnet.

krissyhair

I did a set today that turned out great.

I shampood with Organix keratin
Oil rinsed with homemade oil mix
Deep conditioned with Giovanni tea tree
Rinsed thoroughly with water
Used aphogee keratin and green tea and miss Jessie's leave in condish as my leave ins
Set with the curlformers in a counter clockwise direction so my part is on the right side of my head
Flat ironed the roots with ors olive oil heat protection serum

Edit to add photo of second day hair

Attachments

• WIN_20150105_121937.JPG
    WIN_20150105_121937.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: