Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

Ogoma

Ogoma - what are the slippery condishs that you're using? Are you natch?

Hi tuffCOOKiE Sorry, I am just seeing this. I am natural or natch :lol:. I really like the Trader Joe Tea tree Tingle to detangle. The slip is amazing, it is cheap, and it does a very good job of cleansing the hair.

Some other good ones for detangling: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Smoothing Conditioner and Smoothing Lotion, Oyin Honey Hemp (although my scalp and it are having a fight), Aussie Moist (has the a-cone).

faithVA

Last night I water rinsed and cowashed with Deva Curl. I let it sit while I did my yoga. I definitely want to include cowashing as part of my regimen. My scalp felt so much better after the water rinse :yep:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
The other aspect of my regimen that I need to stay consistent with is remembering that as a fine haired gal I must change things up.
I've been doing a hairline flat twist and securing it with a bobby pin...of course now I have breakage right where the pin would usually sit.
A couple years ago I got breakage right down the centre of my head from the seam of my night wrap:nono:

sissimpson

My hair is fine too Nix08. No, wait, let me try that again. I think my strands are kind of thick, but the density of hair on my head is low; does that sound right? I'll figure this out eventually. Thinking about indulging myself with the Kozama hair analysis.

I'm trying to use up my Curl Kit stash, because I hit CC Natural's BF sale HARD, and also got the Curl Collection Black Friday box. Think I'll just pass along a lot of the CK goodies to my daughter.

Last night, I watered my hair to dampen it slightly and refresh the product I used two days ago. Then I twisted it in 6 twists, using one of the products I got in a CK to seal. I realize I'm going to have to start more attention to my products! I can't get consistent if I don't even know what I'm using!

sissimpson

More Deets:
Current Products:
Shampoo: haven't figured it out yet
Conditioner: not sure of this either
Leave-In: Right now, the only thing I know I love is CC Natural's Leave in; not even sure which one is working for me.

Current Techniques:
Right now I'm real sloppy. The only thing I do consistently is sleep in a satin cap every night. I know my hair likes to be washed weekly, but I wash my hair when I get to it, lately about every two weeks. I used to prepoo overnight every time I washed my hair but I fell out of the habit. . I twist it some nights, then try to get second day hair; but my hair ain't havin it. It likes a comb everyday. Haven't used a brush in three years which is all good. Randomly try products from my Curl Kits. Hit or miss techniques.

What in your regimen are trying to nail:
I want to start paying attention again, that's the first step. I want to get back to pampering my hair with deep conditioning, either before or after shampooing. I'd like to get into a regular cleansing routine.

What's your starting strategy:
I'm going to be nice: moisturize, seal and twist in 6 twists every night. Figure out which one of my many cleansers I want to start with. Pick one set of products to get started with.

I started my natural journey making my own products in my kitchen. I'd really like to get back to that.

Last edited:

faithVA

The other aspect of my regimen that I need to stay consistent with is remembering that as a fine haired gal I must change things up.
I've been doing a hairline flat twist and securing it with a bobby pin...of course now I have breakage right where the pin would usually sit.
A couple years ago I got breakage right down the centre of my head from the seam of my night wrap:nono:

At least you are aware of it now and can pay more attention to it. Maybe you can find another way to secure it.

faithVA

[USER=223904 said:
sissimpson[/USER];19371005]My hair is fine too Nix08. No, wait, let me try that again. I think my strands are kind of thick, but the density of hair on my head is low; does that sound right? I'll figure this out eventually. Thinking about indulging myself with the Kozama hair analysis.

I'm trying to use up my Curl Kit stash, because I hit CC Natural's BF sale HARD, and also got the Curl Collection Black Friday box. Think I'll just pass along a lot of the CK goodies to my daughter.

Last night, I watered my hair to dampen it slightly and refresh the product I used two days ago. Then I twisted it in 6 twists, using one of the products I got in a CK to seal. I realize I'm going to have to start more attention to my products! I can't get consistent if I don't even know what I'm using!

Thank you for posting. Would you mind completing the information in the 1st post so we can follow along with what you are working on. I looked through some of your other post and it looks like you are trying to work on consistency and breakage. Is that right?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
At least you are aware of it now and can pay more attention to it. Maybe you can find another way to secure it.

This is where this thread comes in handy:yep:

Once a month I will make sure to:
-Change the type of night cap I wear
-Henna

Every 2 weeks I'll make sure to:
-Change my hairstyle or position of the style (I don't leave the style in but I'll do the same style each day for a while)

Every 4 months:
Relax

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I'm Transitioning

Currently BSL

Current Products: Suave Tropical Coconut Cond &Essential Wholesale poo & conditioner. I'll be using ITDF products after they arrive in the mail.

Current Techniques: currently, infrequent washing and ratty buns :look:

What in your regimen are trying to nail:
1. Consistently following my regimen
1-3x week rinse and detangle
daily moisturizing - test LOC, LCO, and LC with new products
2x month DCs- alternate protein and moisture
1x month henna

2. protective styles or long lasting styles
improve my flat twisting and french braiding
lots of Curlformer sets
twist and curls

3. No more
Starting after Christmas, no direct heat and no straightening
No Silicones or mineral oil

What's your starting strategy:
Get my hair professionally trimmed and do a strong protein treatment.

Last edited:

Ogoma

Next month, I will start incorporating cones. I will start 1x a week with my rinse out conditioner. I go through so much conditioner and I expect it will get worse as my hair gets longer. I need to simplify my life and streamline my purchases even more.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm deep conditioning overnight right now so I can wash my hair tomorrow. I'm going to try installing my Curlformers with just Oyin Hair Dew. I read some people don't use setting lotion, so I want to see if it works.

faithVA

[USER=6714 said:
uofmpanther[/USER];19373373]I'm deep conditioning overnight right now so I can wash my hair tomorrow. I'm going to try installing my Curlformers with just Oyin Hair Dew. I read some people don't use setting lotion, so I want to see if it works.

Does it have glycerin in it? You probably want to use something without a humectant to reduce the "poof" effect as much as possible.

I use a curling cream when I do a curlformer set. It works really well.

faithVA

I am doing an overnight DC. I have been cowashing and DCing this week to see if i can jump start moisture in my hair. I am probably putting my hair away tomorrow though to get ready for vacation.

sissimpson

Thank you for posting. Would you mind completing the information in the 1st post so we can follow along with what you are working on. I looked through some of your other post and it looks like you are trying to work on consistency and breakage. Is that right?

Touched up my last post to make it clearer; I think I answered all the questions. Bear with me please. I'm a longtime lurker, just getting my feet wet with posting!

uofmpanther

Hi tuffCOOKiE Sorry, I am just seeing this. I am natural or natch :lol:. I really like the Trader Joe Tea tree Tingle to detangle. The slip is amazing, it is cheap, and it does a very good job of cleansing the hair.

Some other good ones for detangling: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Smoothing Conditioner and Smoothing Lotion, Oyin Honey Hemp (although my scalp and it are having a fight), Aussie Moist (has the a-cone).

Ogoma This is a great list. I've tried all of these except the Aussie Moist. Do you get buidup with the Aussie Moist? I use shampoo, but I've still been afraid of cones because I have low porosity strands.

Also, which Tresemme Naturals do you use? The fragrance of the moisture on gave me headaches, but I loved the slip!

Last edited:

uofmpanther

nix I have fine strands in my crown, the back of my head, my temples and my front edge in the middle that all give me the same problem. I'm retaining length faster on the sides I think because those are medium strands.

As I posted in the DC challenge, last night I put protein DC on those areas only as part of my overnight DC. I also pulled out an old bottle of Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructer to spritz them midweek, but I have to be careful not to go overboard with the protein. I'm going to try this for a little while. I'll let you know if it works.

uofmpanther

Does it have glycerin in it? You probably want to use something without a humectant to reduce the "poof" effect as much as possible.

I use a curling cream when I do a curlformer set. It works really well.

faithVA Thanks for the tip. Oyin is glycerin free, which is why it's my staple winter leave in. Maybe I'll do a 50/50 with Oyin and Jane Carter Curl Cream to see which works better. I have to see if the Jane Carter has glycerin

faithVA

[USER=223904 said:
sissimpson[/USER];19374679]Touched up my last post to make it clearer; I think I answered all the questions. Bear with me please. I'm a longtime lurker, just getting my feet wet with posting!

Thank you for doing that. I understand what you are trying to do.

faithVA

I did a protein treatment last night since I have done so much clipping to my ends. My hair felt tangled afterwards. So I DCd with AO Blue Chamomile and sat under the dryer for 45 minutes. Then I did an overnight DC. My hair was much better this morning. I rinsed the DC and then applied AO Island Naturals. I am under the dryer now for another 30 minutes. I will keep the conditioner in until I finish running my errands.

I hope to have time to put my hair up tonight.

uofmpanther

I did my Curlformer experiment today. I did Oyin as my leave-in all over my hair, but then I added Jane Carter Curl Defining Cream to the left side only. I really like the Oyin only side. It dried soft, but still straight. It also dried faster than the Jane Carter side. It probably has no real hold, but I was only using the Curlformers to stretch my hair .

In fairness to the Jane Carter side, not all of them dried before I took the Curlformers out, but some did so I could still do a comparison. Those that did were also soft and had some sheen, but they were also slightly greasy. Those that didn't dry were damp to almost soaking wet. It was almost as if the Jane Carter kept them from drying. On the upside, I twisted the wet ones and learned that Jane Carter makes a nice styler for medium-sized twists.

I'll probably try the Jane Carter again at some point to see if I can use it for hold when I want a long-lasting set. In the meantime, Oyin is sufficient for me.

Ogoma

@Ogoma This is a great list. I've tried all of these except the Aussie Moist. Do you get buidup with the Aussie Moist? I use shampoo, but I've still been afraid of cones because I have low porosity strands.

Also, which Tresemme Naturals do you use? The fragrance of the moisture on gave me headaches, but I loved the slip!

uofmpanther

The Aussie Moist has the amodimethicone, which is a cone that has modified to prevent buildup. I used Aussie Moist for about a month and I clarify monthly so I didn't experience any build up.

I have used all three and they all smell the same. I don't love the smell, but it doesn't linger for me so I am fine.

sissimpson

Tonight, I am deepconditioning my hair with an old product from CC Naturals. The label fell off, but it's thick, creamy and smooth and smells like chocolate. The label that remains says it can be used for a deep conditioner, a leave in, or a styler. I like it as a styler, so here goes as a dc. In the AM I will pick a product to was it out. I have a new shampoo bar as part of my BF haul, I also have a bottles of ori clarifying cleanser and one of a moisturizing cleanser from old Curl Kits. I'll choose on, along with a dc in the am.

Ogoma

I need to figure out the conditioning part of my regimen. This would be so much easier if one these methods have not worked, but all have. I just want to get one methodology together so I can get a product list that works for me, is easily accessible, affordable, and will not be stressful to my life.

Method one:
- Co-cleanse weekly, cheap rinse out conditioner; 1x a monthly clarify, mix moisture deep conditioner and protein deep conditioner and DC for an hour.
- Pros: cost-effective, maintain moisture-protein balance monthly
- Cons: need to find the right mix of conditioner to ensure I am getting enough protein

Method two:
- Co-cleanse weekly, expensive rinse out conditioner 1x a monthly clarify, protein deep conditioner and DC for an hour, cowash it out with rinse out conditioner.
- Pros: the expensive rinse out conditioner has good ingredients (don't know if it makes a difference), no errors on getting enough protein
-Cons: expensive as I go through a lot of conditioner, might lead to protein overload or require me to spend more time with a moisturizing conditioner afterwards.

Writing this out, I think I know which way I am leaning. I need to go and do some work on my product list.

alove15

This sounds like a great idea. Id like to join.
I'm transitioning from heat damage. Just did a big trim.
>>Current Length: APL
>>Current Products:
-Trader joes tea tree shampoo and conditioner
-Giovanni 50/50 conditioner (DC)
-Giovanni direct leave-in(about to get something thicker)
-Coconut oil, olive oil, oyin bsp
-Mega Tek and Aphogee 2 min protein conditioners
>>Current Techniques:
-No heat
-Prepoo w/ protein conditioner
-Cowash or shampoo weekly
-DC after a shampoo
-Detangle w/ fingers and wide tooth shower comb
-Set hair w/ twists or curlformers
>>What in your regimen are trying to nail:
Focusing on healthy and full hair, no heat, keeping up my trims.
>>What's your starting strategy:
Moisturizing and sealing for healthier ends, loose buns, occasional longterm protective styles(2-3 weeks)
>>Anything else you want to share:
Marley twists have helped so far w/ staying away from heat styles.

faithVA

I need to figure out the conditioning part of my regimen. This would be so much easier if one these methods have not worked, but all have. I just want to get one methodology together so I can get a product list that works for me, is easily accessible, affordable, and will not be stressful to my life.

Method one:
- Co-cleanse weekly, cheap rinse out conditioner; 1x a monthly clarify, mix moisture deep conditioner and protein deep conditioner and DC for an hour.
- Pros: cost-effective, maintain moisture-protein balance monthly
- Cons: need to find the right mix of conditioner to ensure I am getting enough protein

Method two:
- Co-cleanse weekly, expensive rinse out conditioner 1x a monthly clarify, protein deep conditioner and DC for an hour, cowash it out with rinse out conditioner.
- Pros: the expensive rinse out conditioner has good ingredients (don't know if it makes a difference), no errors on getting enough protein
-Cons: expensive as I go through a lot of conditioner, might lead to protein overload or require me to spend more time with a moisturizing conditioner afterwards.

Writing this out, I think I know which way I am leaning. I need to go and do some work on my product list.

Good way to work things out :yep:

faithVA

[USER=181596 said:
alove15[/USER];19384143]This sounds like a great idea. Id like to join.
I'm transitioning from heat damage. Just did a big trim.
>>Current Length: APL
>>Current Products:
-Trader joes tea tree shampoo and conditioner
-Giovanni 50/50 conditioner (DC)
-Giovanni direct leave-in(about to get something thicker)
-Coconut oil, olive oil, oyin bsp
-Mega Tek and Aphogee 2 min protein conditioners
>>Current Techniques:
-No heat
-Prepoo w/ protein conditioner
-Cowash or shampoo weekly
-DC after a shampoo
-Detangle w/ fingers and wide tooth shower comb
-Set hair w/ twists or curlformers
>>What in your regimen are trying to nail:
Focusing on healthy and full hair, no heat, keeping up my trims.
>>What's your starting strategy:
Moisturizing and sealing for healthier ends, loose buns, occasional longterm protective styles(2-3 weeks)
>>Anything else you want to share:
Marley twists have helped so far w/ staying away from heat styles.

Welcome to the challenge. Glad to have you.

spellinto

Is it too late to join?

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Relaxed

Current Length: Waist Length (although I may cut a few inches off)

Current Products:
Lacio Lacio Leave In, CON Argan Oil Strength & Shine Leave In
Organix Sulfate Free Nourishing Coconut Shampoo
Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment
Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor

Current Techniques: See Starting Techniques

What in your regimen are trying to nail: Eliminate chronic split ends! Figure out if the splits are occurring because of too much moisture/protein manipulation. Ween off of too many protective styles since they seem to exacerbate splits. Also reduce breakage around crown.

What's your starting strategy: I am adapting a new regimen constructed by my stylist for 2013-2014:
Condition/deep condition once a week.
Shampoo twice a month.
Detangle and wrap my hair nightly. (I'll probably finger detangle & crosswrap/braid during the week and use a comb on the weekends. The point of this is just to stretch my new growth and keep it manageable.)
Use my mild protein treatment once a month.
Use my leave in only when I'm air drying my hair.

Last edited: