Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

silenttullip

Natural
APL
Current Techniques: finger detangling, drying in twists

What in your regimen are trying to nail:I really wanna find a great summer spring cleanser that can rid me of scalp oil but still not dry out my hair and find a moisture based leave in that will help me get to FULL BSL and obtaining hold without a gel

What's your starting strategy: I'm trying shampoo bars again and making sure to use a rinse out conditioner and a spray leave in or tressemme naturals

Anything else you want to share:I've almost got it just need a good cleanser for summer and a good leave in :)

faithVA

Natural
APL
Current Techniques: finger detangling, drying in twists

What in your regimen are trying to nail:I really wanna find a great summer spring cleanser that can rid me of scalp oil but still not dry out my hair and find a moisture based leave in that will help me get to FULL BSL and obtaining hold without a gel

What's your starting strategy: I'm trying shampoo bars again and making sure to use a rinse out conditioner and a spray leave in or tressemme naturals

Anything else you want to share:I've almost got it just need a good cleanser for summer and a good leave in :)

Welcome silenttullip.

Have you tried diluting your shampoos and adding AVG to reduce the ph? You can also try buffering your shampoo by applying your rinse out conditioner over the shampoo before rinsing but that's only if you aren't going to DC.

spellinto

testing some changes to my wash day routine. I'm going to detangle before I prepoo (I already know this works wonders for me but for some reason I neglect to do it) and moisturize and seal on tshirt dried hair. I've done this unsuccessfully before but I think I didn't have the best product combo back then. my goal is to learn how to retain moisture while airdrying my porous hair. I've accomplished retaining moisture on the ends, but my crown still gets poofy and dry even after just a few weeks post.

alanaturelle

I completely forgot to take pictures yesterday after rinsing out the indigo but here are some shots today after a whole day in bun.

Attachments

• Apr 14 (2).jpg
    Apr 14 (2).jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Apr 14.jpg
    Apr 14.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Apr 14 (4).jpg
    Apr 14 (4).jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Apr 14 (3).jpg
    Apr 14 (3).jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 12

spellinto

I just learned how important it is for me to wrap my hair after I moisturize and seal. I mean, I knew it was important, but today I really saw the consequences of not wrapping. My hair was so dry and frizzy today, and EXTREMELY poofy. I hadn't felt my hair like that in a really long time. Wrapping my hair and tying down with a satin scarf concentrates all the moisture into my porous strands. It also saves me from bushy ends, which I despise! This is especially important for me to do after air drying.

spellinto

There are a few things with my hair during this stretch. I'm experimenting a lot with low manipulation styles, especially bantu knots, flexi rods, and maybe rollers soon. Of course, I'm taking note as to how my hair responds to less protective styling. I also mentioned altering my air drying technique in a previous post. Finally, I may experiment with smoothing conditioners to see if they have a positive impact on my hair. I would like to find a smoothing conditioner that's also really moisturizing. Any suggestions ladies? :)

ETA: just discovered that Paul Mitchell's super skinny daily treatment promises to smooth hair cuticles for manageability. May pick this up soon!

Last edited:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I've been one sick and lazy pregnant lady, and its reflected in my hair care. My hair regimen is currently off schedule, so I hope to get back on this weekend. Also, because I was not feeling great, I tried to air dry my hair in two braids instead of what I've found works through this challenge (banded twists). It was a mess and still is. I'll have to give my hair a serious apology this weekend and hope it forgives me.

sissimpson

I finally know my hair is getting healthy! This week before I washed, my 4C patch of hair was big and thick and poofy and hard to get my fingers through! I am delighted, haven't experienced that in years!

Beany

There are a few things with my hair during this stretch. I'm experimenting a lot with low manipulation styles, especially bantu knots, flexi rods, and maybe rollers soon. Of course, I'm taking note as to how my hair responds to less protective styling. I also mentioned altering my air drying technique in a previous post. Finally, I may experiment with smoothing conditioners to see if they have a positive impact on my hair. I would like to find a smoothing conditioner that's also really moisturizing. Any suggestions ladies? :)

ETA: just discovered that Paul Mitchell's super skinny daily treatment promises to smooth hair cuticles for manageability. May pick this up soon!

You can try Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner. I think Whole Foods still carries that brand.

faithVA

Not much going on with my hair. Putting it up into flat twist and leaving it until the next wash day has been just what I needed. Last night I put the bonnet on and this morning I took it off and walked out the door. I didn't even look at my hair.

For now I will just make sure it stays hydrated. On wash days I will just focus on using up products. I will also clip as many splits as possible and put it back up.

For the next few months I will be using up anything I know won't be a staple.

The only thing I have really determined for my regimen is that I need to pay attention to the ph of products. When cleansing a ph of 7 is fine. I want to close my cuticle with something a ph of 4.5 to 5. All other products work best between 5 and 6.

LdyKamz

My hair feels so much healthier. It feels so soft all the time now. Could be the cowashing. But my hair hasn't felt like this in months. Even though it was getting longer it was getting pretty bad. Wash n gos are actually wash n gos now. I step out of the shower and just rake gel through my hair, the curls clump easily, I diffuse for a minute or two and I'm out the door.

Today I shampooed after 4 days of straight cowashing. My scalp was getting itchy. I deep conditioned with AOGPB to balance my hair and it still feels good. If I keep it up this might be a smooth summer.

snoop

For the next few months I will be using up anything I know won't be a staple.

The only thing I have really determined for my regimen is that I need to pay attention to the ph of products. When cleansing a ph of 7 is fine. I want to close my cuticle with something a ph of 4.5 to 5. All other products work best between 5 and 6.

Based on all of your new styling techniques over the past few weeks you seem to be retaining. Great job!

Just curious why you would use up products that you don't think are the key to your hair success? I see a lot of people say that they do this, but I don't really get it.

Do you use Ph strips to test all of your products or do you find Ph via google?

faithVA

[USER=373223 said:
snoop[/USER];19947021]Based on all of your new styling techniques over the past few weeks you seem to be retaining. Great job!

Just curious why you would use up products that you don't think are the key to your hair success? I see a lot of people say that they do this, but I don't really get it.

Do you use Ph strips to test all of your products or do you find Ph via google?

My hair doesn't love anything. So the products I am using up may be a 6 out of 10 and the other products may be a 7 out of 10. :ohwell: If I had products that just worked fabulously on my hair I would throw everything else out. I try to keep some of the things I'm not sure about for twist outs so I can really tell if they work.

I think people use things up when they don't really have good replacements.

I use ph strips for all of my tests. I'm usually trying to change the ph of things and I couldn't do that without the strips. For instance I had 2 products with a ph of 4. I would have never thought that one product would need 2 cups of water added to get to a ph of 5 and one product would only need 1/2 cup of water to get to 5. That isn't intuitive to me. I didn't believe in ph strips until I bought some :lol:

faithVA

Based on all of your new styling techniques over the past few weeks you seem to be retaining. Great job!

I hope I am retaining. Hopefully the combination of protein treatments, 2x a week DCs, flat twists and spritzing will turn my hair around. The breakage hasn't stopped but hopefully it has slowed and I have stopped it from spreading. Just going to be patient until the end of June to determine where I'm at.

Putting in these flat twists has been one of my best moves this year. I really needed this break.

Beany

The weather is finally warming up so I'll be switching from pomades to gels. Tonight I used DE Natural honey CurlForming custard.

faithVA

I seem to be retaining at least a little bit this month. So I will be keeping this same flat twist style throughout May. I will also keep Doing twice a week.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I gave my hair some much needed TLC this weekend. I chelated, deep conditioned and conditioned. Then I did a wash and go with Jane Carter Curl Defining Cream to let it be free. It was soft and moisturized all day, though the shrinkage was real. It still came out surprisingly cute. I wish I took an intentional picture. I went to an event, so I'm going to see if there is one of me in the bunch. If not, maybe I can replicate it next weekend.

For the work week, I'll probably wet it down, flat twist it and rock a wig to continue to let it rest.

OhmyKimB

I think my hair is growing. I know what a stupid statement that is but I notice how much longer it is. Plus my friend said the same when she saw my twist out last week, and if she notices...that's saying something.

I think I got down the basic process and products of my regime, maybe. I still think that I can play around to get optimal results of everything. Because of this stupid relaxed hair (which is getting stickier and straighter I might add) I can't rock a wash and go style yet. Well I'll just get better out twist outs and then move on to a different style.

I waited nine days to wash my hair....just out of pure laziness. No bueno especially since I started working out I think I need to move up from 7 days maybe 3-5 days; just to keep the sweat from breaking my hair off.

CodeRed

Well, I've nailed my technique and my deep conditioner... now I'm going to move on to making my own shampoo. After that I'll work on a leave in and rinse out conditioner.

Regimen:

Shampoo
Deep condtion (20 minute steam with homemade conditioner)
Rinse out conditioner
Leave in

faithVA

[USER=337925 said:
CodeRed[/USER];19964921]Well, I've nailed my technique and my deep conditioner... now I'm going to move on to making my own shampoo. After that I'll work on a leave in and rinse out conditioner.

Regimen:

Shampoo
Deep condtion (20 minute steam with homemade conditioner)
Rinse out conditioner
Leave in

Nice. What a simple regimen. You don't apply anything after your leave-in? How do you wear your hair?

CodeRed

Nice. What a simple regimen. You don't apply anything after your leave-in? How do you wear your hair?

faithVA

I don't apply anything after my leave in... I choose leave-ins that are detangling and moisturizing/conditioning so I can get everything all at once. Right now I'm using Nutress Hair Enhancer Leave-In. I was using Just Natural Skin Care Extreme Dry Hair Leave In but I had to order it online and it was way more expensive for the same thing Nutress does.

I wear my hair in a clip in the day and loose at night. It's relaxed and honestly, I don't know how to wrap to save my life :lol: Plus, when I go to bed, I'm so tired that I barely brush my teeth... but I do sleep on a satin pillowcase. I don't know what I'll do when my hair gets longer... It's shoulder length in the back and about collar bone length in the front (angled bob).

faithVA

faithVA

I don't apply anything after my leave in... I choose leave-ins that are detangling and moisturizing/conditioning so I can get everything all at once. Right now I'm using Nutress Hair Enhancer Leave-In. I was using Just Natural Skin Care Extreme Dry Hair Leave In but I had to order it online and it was way more expensive for the same thing Nutress does.

I wear my hair in a clip in the day and loose at night. It's relaxed and honestly, I don't know how to wrap to save my life :lol: Plus, when I go to bed, I'm so tired that I barely brush my teeth... but I do sleep on a satin pillowcase. I don't know what I'll do when my hair gets longer... It's shoulder length in the back and about collar bone length in the front (angled bob).

Very cool. Thanks!

mz.rae

Tell us About You
Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: I am natural
Current Length: A little pass arm pit length
Current Products: This is a little iffy but so far products I am using right now are, ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo,ORS Uplift Shampoo, Kera Care Detangling Shampoo, Suave Daily Clarify,ORS Replenishing Conditioner,ORS Olive Oil Hair Masque, Kera Care Dry and Itchy Scalp Conditioner, Kera Care Humecto,Protein Conditioner, It's a 10 Leave in,Garnier Fructuis Leave in, GVP Silk Infusion Serum

Current Techniques: Prepoo with alma oil pash hair every two weeks, clarify once a month, deep condition for 30 minutes with protein conditioner depending on how my hair feels, deep condition for 45 minutes with moisturizing conditioner,apply leave ins, blow dry, and then flat iron.

What in your regimen are trying to nail:Consistency,consistency, consistency.Sticking with the same products and techniques to see if regimen works or not. Try other methods of stretching hair prior to flat ironing, find a low manipulation style to wear when hair is straight.

What's your starting strategy: Stop being a product junkie and stick to the same products. Try rollersetting technique prior to flat ironing, try pin curls in between flat ironing, try not to comb my hair until next wash day.

Anything else you want to share:

Last edited:

spellinto

faithVA

CodeRed If you don't know how to wrap, you can try crosswrapping! It works for me (I don't know how to wrap traditionally either without damaging my hair) and it's pretty easy and quick to do. Just a tip for when your hair gets longer!

spellinto

Today I had a pretty nice wash day. I prepooed with Africa's Best Herbal Oil for ceramides. Then I shampooed and learned a better way to distribute shampoo into my hair. I deep conditioned and followed with PM Super Skinny Smoothing Treatment. My hair dried with less frizz and volume which I appreciated! I also used the PM Kid's Taming Spray to detangle. Did well and smells faintly of bubblegum :yum:. I did get bushy ends while combing, but next time I will wait until my hair is 90% dry to comb. Right now my hair is crosswrapped and feels nice & moisturized. I will take it down early tomorrow morning to set it in bantu knots and wear it in waves for the day.