Design Essentials Strengthening Therapy System

Shelew

yodie Shelew
Do I have to flat iron each week? I wash mine each week and flat iron but I can go two weeks. It gets pretty straight and I have big sections not little like it's done at the salon.
Can I get a rollerset and a blow out? I have not tried roller setting yet
Do I have to use certain products to help 'keep' the treatment in? I have been using the design essentials products recommended so far.
Will this treatment help straighten/smooth out my kinks so that my hair is easier to blow dry? It does make hair very manageable. I am 4a/b and it really loosens the curl pattern.
Do I have to use a certain spray to help 'lock' in the keratin when I blow dry/flat iron? I let mine air dry to 70% then blow dry. I put a drop of design essentials silk essentials serum when flat iron just because I feel like I need something from habit but I don't think you have to.
Do I have to wash less? I was weekly. Personally mine gets itchy after a week and I am noticing more dandruff. I used the dandruff shampoo last wash in between the DE sulfate free poo and that helped but at a week mark it is back.
All in all it has been a good experience. Just sticking with the same routine and my hair had been growing much better than previously. Wearing my hair straight seems to work for me

yodie

Like Shelew, my hair has been growing much better. I retain better as well.
This treatment has changed the hair game for me. Taliah Waajid's Bodipher Mist has also knocked my dryness out the park. These both are hair must haves for me.

PureSilver

I have tried the system and i like my results but i find my hair reverts so quickly still. I may be doing something wrong. My hair surely feels stronger and it seems a little thicker too. Can't wait to do my next application.

Channy31

Hi ladies,

I've had the treatment in late May and then again about a month ago. I actually think it has caused me a set back. My hair has actually lost an inch since May, meaning this whole summer I've had no retention. I'm going to do a longer post on it soon.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
what are naturals moisturizing and deep conditioning their hair with?

I am natural who colors my hair so I am going to go with the transitioning mouse but I haven't seen lots of posts about regular moisture.

i am thinking of doing this myself. The thought of paying $150 does not sit well with me because I can already smell the burnt hair from going to a stylist. I'd rather mess up my own hair than pay someone else to do it. I have found the poo and mousse set on ebay for about the same price as the salon plus tip

Last edited:

LadyPBC

OMG - interested in trying this but I use henna, not the powder but a creamy version I found at Whole Foods. I think I read somewhere that they should not be used together. I'm looking forward to seeing the list of products to stay away from. I need to use color but don't want to use permanent color to cover my gray. Is this a product that I should just stay away from?

Shelew

Hi ladies, I've had the treatment in late May and then again about a month ago. I actually think it has caused me a set back. My hair has actually lost an inch since May, meaning this whole summer I've had no retention. I'm going to do a longer post on it soon.
Oh no! I have not really checked mine. I know it has not gotten any shorter. I have been enjoying the texture. I will have to put my length shirt on and check it the next time it's straight. I have had curls lately.

Dove56

Hi ladies,

I've had the treatment in late May and then again about a month ago. I actually think it has caused me a set back. My hair has actually lost an inch since May, meaning this whole summer I've had no retention. I'm going to do a longer post on it soon.

I remember you said the stylist did too many flatiron passes on your hair and she didn't put enough treatment on the ends which probably caused them even more damage. This is why I don't let folks touch my hair anymore. Smh. I am sorry you had a setback.

dannie

Alright, so I took the plunge and bought the transitioning mousse as a hope of transitioning to natural. I’m about a 4a I guess, and haven’t permed since the beginning of August. I applied it according to the directions and did 2-3 passes at 370. It was a long process and overall I’m satisfied with the results. My hair strands feel thicker, smoother and have a lot more shine. I was also able to touch my scalp in the shower when rinsing it out which is something I can barely do around touch up time.

All around I’d say my hair feels a lot healthier, but idk if I can use this in place of a relaxer. I may switch to a texturizer twice a year, and use this every 2 months. It’s a hit for me, but didn’t relax my hair pattern they way I had hoped. If I had to pay $150 a pop at the salon it wouldn’t be worth it to me, but an at home application seems to be economical.

Pics attached. First two are before, last 2 are after. I didnt feel like flat ironing again so the after pics is my hair brushed into a pony tail w/ jbco when wet and bunned. I'll flat iron it this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20131106_180506.jpg
    IMG_20131106_180506.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20131106_184414.jpg
    IMG_20131106_184414.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20131107_123050_1.jpg
    IMG_20131107_123050_1.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20131107_123102.jpg
    IMG_20131107_123102.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 123

yodie

Hi ladies,

Sorry to hear this. How is everything working?

Britt

I got this done 2 weeks ago at the salon and I like it so far. I washed my hair last Sat and my wash day was much more pleasant. My hair still kinks up but somehow the hair doesn't feel as dense and it's easier to comb through. The only thing is I can tell there is something in my hair. I can feel it. But the stylist said that's normal. I was able to wash w/o having to wash in 4 sections! This saved me some time and ease. Then I blow dryed and that was easy and f/u with a flat iron job. It feels good to have my hair straight and easy to manage. I wish I had done this sooner, it might have saved me some breakage and hair frustration. I also noticed when I washed my hair I didn't lose as much hair at all as I normally would. We'll see how this holds up, so long as I have a stylist to apply this I will continue to go to her for application.

Channy31

I remember you said the stylist did too many flatiron passes on your hair and she didn't put enough treatment on the ends which probably caused them even more damage. This is why I don't let folks touch my hair anymore. Smh. I am sorry you had a setback.

I did indeed, thanks for the support. I'm glad to see you suffered no damage. Thinking back i also started roller setting over summer and then stopped in October. I wonder if it's that the caused it.

For now I have had my second treatment for about 5 weeks and its still hanging around although my hair is a lot frizzier than when i had the first treatment.

PureSilver

MixedGirl sorry to hear about your setback on your beautiful hair, I hope you recover soon. I doubt rollersetting caused the breakage, unless you are doing it wrong and i can't imagine you doing that.

Brittster wouldn't it be cheaper to purchase the product and use it at home rather than going to the salon. I'm just saying it could prove way more economical for you.

Shelew

I checked out my length after MixedGirl said she had a setback. Glad to report that after my last treatment my scissor happy stylist left my hair at number 1 on my length shirt, it actually has grew to number 3 which is 2 inches after ten weeks. So I will keep on trucking along with the treatment. Time to get another. I was able to go a little longer last time but not this time.

Britt

@MixedGirl sorry to hear about your setback on your beautiful hair, I hope you recover soon. I doubt rollersetting caused the breakage, unless you are doing it wrong and i can't imagine you doing that.

@Brittster wouldn't it be cheaper to purchase the product and use it at home rather than going to the salon. I'm just saying it could prove way more economical for you.

PureSilver, yeahhhh it would be cheaper I don't really feel like doing it myself though.. we'll see how often I need to do it. I figure if this is something I'd do as a long term thing then I'd probably look into doing it myself.

sharifeh

Oh no another thing I'm interested in
I'm a possible transitioner
Anyone know any salons that do this in NYC?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Shelew

Oh no another thing I'm interested in I'm a possible transitioner Anyone know any salons that do this in NYC? Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

If you go on the Design Essential locator on their website and select professional services only and put in your zip, that will give you a start. Then you can call those and ask if they do the treatment. That is how I found mine.

Honey Bee

I got the Silkening Spray from Payne's BSS. (I'm texlaxed, 18-ish wks post) It stayed straight for 10 days. I had to touch up my roots once and used a dry shampoo (Oscar Blandi) cuz my hair is fine and any type of oil makes it stringy. Even before the board, I washed 2x/wk.

Anyway, yeah, I liked it and will use again. And, for those still relaxing, the Silkening Spray contains the exact amino acid that gets depleted during a relaxer (cystine or cystEine, I always get them confused).

neet4

I wanted to add my review. I got the DE transitioning treatment 3 weeks ago and I love it. I also did the treatment on both of my daughters who are natural.

I like to wear my hair straight most of the time but had to stop getting relaxers a few years ago. When I would press my hair myself, it would revert within a day or so. I have not had problems with reversion with this treatment. My 14 year old wants to wear her hair straight but I didn't want to give her a relaxer or continue to get blowouts at the salon. After 2 weeks, she is still loving the treatment. My 10 year old has very thick hair with major shrinkage and lots of tangles. I am happy to have this treatment to help manage her hair. Wash day was so much better today.

I'll continue to do the treatment as long as I can find a way to purchase it. I just hope there will be no negative effects and that it doesn't end up like that product Debbie Allen put in her daughter's hair in that infomercial a long time ago. I can't remember the name of it.

ETA: COPA was the name of the product that Debbie Allen endorsed and used on her daughter's hair a few years ago.

Last edited:

Shelew

I am trying to decide if I want to buy mousse and give myself the transition mousse treatment or head on to the salon. For those that went to the salon first then decided to do it on your own, how do you compare the results. I am not sure if doing it on my own will be silky but don't want to give the salon the steep price. Thoughts?

PureSilver

Shelew i used the treatment at home and i'm somewhat baffhand at getting salon results. I followed the youtube video with a slight variation as i did not have all the products that were used and my hair was shiny and silky. I was amazed. I could never afford the salon because i love being in control of my own hair and what is being done to it. Only for a relaxer will i go to the salon and i must have 100% trust in who is doing my hair.

If you intend to purchase you can may find the best prices on Ebay. Let me know how it turns out for you. BTW i'm currently natural.

outspokenwallflower

Did anyone experience hair color lightening with the transition mousse?

Last time I used it, my hair wasn't colored, so I couldn't say. This time I want to color my hair beforehand.