Design Essentials Strengthening Therapy System

DominicanBrazilian82

I am only 12 weeks. It was about time for touch up and I got the mousse instead to see how it would work out. So I shall see how it works further on in the months without relaxer.

Are you considering transitioning? I would take heed to the warnings about not relaxing your hair when using the mousse. I desperately want the mousse for the frizz control benefits (like a BKT), but I am afraid that there will be adverse affects although they say its chemical-free since I don't plan to stop relaxing. What are your thoughts Shelew?

hair4today

Ok... So I just spent the last hour researching this system! Thanks a lot ladies :rolleyes: I'm interested in the silkening spray since I am relaxed and plan to stay relaxed; however, if its not chemical based, why can't those seeking a frizz-free relaxed head of hair also use the moose? I really want to use that moose. Miami humidity ain't no joke!
DominicanBrazilian82, I watched the design essentials instructional videos where they explained the differences in the three treatment products. What I heard was none of the three have chemicals in them. That they all have amino acid bases but no keratin, formaldehyde etc. All three pretty much have the same ingredients but different strengths. The transitioning mousse is suppose to be the strongest and targeted to relaxed and chemically treated hair. The elongation mousse is mid strength and targeted to naturals who prefer to wear their hair curly most of the time (straighten occasionally). The silkening spray is the least strength and is considered a maintenance product so best for those who wear their hair straight all the time whether relaxed or heat straightened naturals. It strengthens and shines and has some humidity protection but not as much as the other two which have more amino acids. I also understand you can use the mousses on relaxed hair but they recommend if you are doing any chemical service to do it one week prior or two weeks after. They said its not due to chemicals but because the treatment closes the cuticles tight so it's hard to get color and relaxers to penetrate the cuticle and basically they won't take. If you check their FAQ video on YouTube (5 of 6 part series) it goes through a much better explanation.

Last edited:

disgtgyal

DominicanBrazilian82, I watched the design essentials instructional videos where they explained the differences in the three treatment products. What I heard was none of the three have chemicals in them. That they all have amino acids bases but no keratin, formaldehyde etc. All three pretty much have the same ingredients but different strengths. The transitioning mousse is suppose to be the strongest and targeted to relaxed and chemically treated hair. The elongation mousse is mid strength and targeted to naturals who prefer to wear their hair curly most of the time (straighten occasionally). The silkening spray is the least strength and is considered a maintenance product so best for those who wear their hair straight all the time whether relaxed or heat straightened naturals. It strengthens and shines and has some humidity protection but not as much as the other two which have more amino acids. I also understand you can use the mousses on relaxed hair but they recommend if you are doing any chemical service to do it one week prior or two weeks after. They said its not due to chemicals but because the reatment closes the cuticles tight so it's hard to get color and relaxers to penetrate the cuticle and basically they won't take. If you check their FAQ video on YouTube (5 of 6 part series) it goes through a much better explanation.

Thank you. I've used the silkening spray and it did basically nothing for the frizz I experience when it rains. I think I will try the elongation mousse since its the middle and I plan to keep relaxing

Shelew

Are you considering transitioning? I would take heed to the warnings about not relaxing your hair when using the mousse. I desperately want the mousse for the frizz control benefits (like a BKT), but I am afraid that there will be adverse affects although they say its chemical-free since I don't plan to stop relaxing. What are your thoughts Shelew?

Yes I am going to transition. I tried to transition last year but ended up relaxing after 10 months. So I will see how this works. My problem when transitioning was the single strand knots were all over in shower when washing. I want to be a straight natural so this may be for me. I think the mousse keeps the relaxer from taking so may defeat the purpose if you use it and relax. The silkening spray I thought was nice too. The products for me give my hair weight which I love. I always thought in order to get weight it had to be longer... who knew

DominicanBrazilian82

DominicanBrazilian82, I watched the design essentials instructional videos where they explained the differences in the three treatment products. What I heard was none of the three have chemicals in them. That they all have amino acid bases but no keratin, formaldehyde etc. All three pretty much have the same ingredients but different strengths. The transitioning mousse is suppose to be the strongest and targeted to relaxed and chemically treated hair. The elongation mousse is mid strength and targeted to naturals who prefer to wear their hair curly most of the time (straighten occasionally). The silkening spray is the least strength and is considered a maintenance product so best for those who wear their hair straight all the time whether relaxed or heat straightened naturals. It strengthens and shines and has some humidity protection but not as much as the other two which have more amino acids. I also understand you can use the mousses on relaxed hair but they recommend if you are doing any chemical service to do it one week prior or two weeks after. They said its not due to chemicals but because the treatment closes the cuticles tight so it's hard to get color and relaxers to penetrate the cuticle and basically they won't take. If you check their FAQ video on YouTube (5 of 6 part series) it goes through a much better explanation.

I didn't watch those training videos, but when I read through their site, and also YouTube, it speaks about color treatment one week before, or two weeks after; but not a relaxer. Also, in their FAQ it says transitioning or natural for the mousse, relaxed for the spray. I was all up and through their site and YouTube today. But I will definitely watch the videos you're talking about. Thanks hair4today

Last edited:

DominicanBrazilian82

In Video 4 @ 6:48, the question is posed regarding relaxing. The Curator says to wait the life of the treatment prior to getting the relaxer (12 weeks). This is great news! 4:49am and I'm up watching D.E. vids! If this isn't obsession, I don't know what is.

Channy31

I've had it done too ladies. All details on my blog. I'm about 4 weeks in and still loving it.. although the shampoo im hating

DominicanBrazilian82

I've had it done too ladies. All details on my blog. I'm about 4 weeks in and still loving it.. although the shampoo im hating

MixedGirl why? I asked them if it was ABSOLUTELY necessary to use their shampoo. They said yea (stupid question)... What don't you like about it? I'm sure I'd hate to clarify each time I wash.

hair4today

In Video 4 @ 6:48, the question is posed regarding relaxing. The Curator says to wait the life of the treatment prior to getting the relaxer (12 weeks). This is great news! 4:49am and I'm up watching D.E. vids! If this isn't obsession, I don't know what is.

:lachen:That's some dedication. As for using relaxers with the treatment at 12 weeks, what I got from that response was that it was counter productive to relax while the treatment was still in your hair so why not enjoy of the benefits (shiny, frizz free hair, etc) of the this fairly expensive treatment and then relax. From the videos, my takeaway was that this line was developed specifically for transitioners and naturals to deal with humidity and frizz control issues (and a 37% decline in relaxer sales for their industry :lol:) but could be used by relaxer users for the same purpose without any adverse effects.

Channy31

MixedGirl why? I asked them if it was ABSOLUTELY necessary to use their shampoo. They said yea (stupid question)... What don't you like about it? I'm sure I'd hate to clarify each time I wash.
it doesn't clarify does it? I just thought it was sulphate free. Could explain it though..

It completely dries out my scalp. SOOOO bad. My scalp is never dry but now as soon as im out the shower its itchy and dry again.

PureSilver

Since there are three strengths of the treatment, can someone who is knowledgeable about the product suggest which one I should get.

I want to be able to wear my hair straight 95%
I would like the treatment to last 3-4 months
Can I deep condition/protein treat my hair biweekly after the treatment?
Where can i puchase the suggested product without paying an arm and a leg?

yodie

PureSilver,

There are two versions of the DE product.
The elongation mousse - for women who want to wear their hair in natural styles.
The transitioning foam - for women who want to wear their hair straight.

1. My treatment usually lasts about 10 wks. You might experience different results.
2. I was told by DE reps that you should not use protein with this. Maybe someone else can chime in with results. I find that the treatment wears off when I start messing with protein. The amino acids in the treatment act as protein for my hair.

3. You might have to pay an arm and a leg. Most of us did. Just depends on how much you want to spend. I purchased mine on ebay. Dove56 mentioned an online beauty supply that sells it. I got it for less on ebay. Right now these are the only two places that I know about.

MixedGirl, I use Cream of Nature Sulphate free shampoo and haven't had a problem.

Last edited:

PureSilver

I Wonder why DE site does not offer the strengthening treatments for sale on their website. Not everyone who is interested in using the product lives in the united states and can search for a salon that provides the service. They should know too that most naturals are DIYers and would love the convenience of the product being made available to purchase for home use; furthermore we are the ones (DIYers) trying and reviewing these products both old and new, so why not provide us with greater convenience and availability?

I should email them.

yodie

PureSilver, because the treatment is for professional use only. They have a right to market their product that way. I don't waste time on that.

I look at it like this - If I want it bad enough, I'll do what it takes to get it even if it means paying more than I'd like to, saving up, working some overtime. etc. So, while they DE is busy talking about ...find a stylist... I'll be busy checking out on Ebay.
This may not work for some, but it works for me.

LivingDoll

I just saw it there too, 8 oz bottle for $167.00. What exactly is it supposed to do for that much money, geez?
Anyway, here's a review from the DE website:
" My stylist applied the product about 6 weeks ago. I guess I was expecting a miracle. I am 9 months into transitioning and I wanted to try this because Design Essensials was my product of choice when I had a relaxer. Upon application, the product was ok until heat was applied to my hair. The strong fumes were practically making me gag. It wore off after a few minutes and it was ok. The results were beautiful! My hair was long with body and bounce. I was sooooo pleased. I am now 6 weeks into this product and I think the honeymoon is over. I guess I assumed since the product promises to last up to 12 weeks, I thought I would get at least 8 weeks. Considering the price that my stylist charges, I'm not sure if this will be worth it for me if it only last for 6 weeks. It's a great concept and I believe it's a great product. I would likely try it again maybe after it has been on the market for a while and Design has worked all of the kinks out - no pun intended. All in all, the product does what it claims. You will have straight, frizz free hair for a number of weeks depending on your hair type."

This part of the review has me giving the side eye. :look:

I recently applied it with my bare hands. The smell is fragrant and very slight (to me)...but definitely NOT a chemical smell. There were no strong fumes at all. I have no idea what that stylist did for there to be strong fumes. :nono:

ETA: Also, although a bottle costs $167, the bottle has 8 oz. Only 2 oz should be used per application. Each treatment ideally should last up to 12 weeks. $167 at 4 times a year is $41.75 per treatment for a DIYer. I would not get this applied at a salon. It's way too easy to apply to pay someone upwards of $150 for each application. I'm not knocking the ladies who do because everyone has their reasoning. I just personally would not. :yep:

Last edited:

LivingDoll

Question ladies who use DE...

How are you all clarifying? I feel like I need to clarify but I don't want to strip the treatment from my hair. I haven't used any heavy cones (non-water soluble cones) or anything, so I probably don't absolutely need to but I'm still wondering.

yodie

I brought my bottle on Ebay for $145.
LivingDoll, I've been thinking about a clarifying shampoo as well. I'm thinking that I might clarify right before I re-apply the treatment.

PureSilver

yodie, its not so much the price that bothers me. I've already asked my SO to purchase I'm more concerned about the availability instead of trying to find which a salon that offers the service. I ain't paying nobody so much to do my hair, I have hands not fins.

yodie

yodie, its not so much the price that bothers me. I've already asked my SO to purchase I'm more concerned about the availability instead of trying to find which a salon that offers the service. I ain't paying nobody so much to do my hair, I have hands not fins.

PureSilver, can you buy off Ebay? I would go back to the salon and get the treatment if I couldn't afford to buy it anymore. Speaking of which, I better buy two bottles to have on hand.

PureSilver

yodie i haven't tried personally but my SO does business on ebay not that i have options to choose from in terms of where i purchase.

Dove56

PureSilver,

There are two versions of the DE product.
The elongation mousse - for women who want to wear their hair in natural styles.
The transitioning foam - for women who want to wear their hair straight.

1. My treatment usually lasts about 10 wks. You might experience different results.
2. I was told by DE reps that you should not use protein with this. Maybe someone else can chime in with results. I find that the treatment wears off when I start messing with protein. The amino acids in the treatment act as protein for my hair.

3. You might have to pay an arm and a leg. Most of us did. Just depends on how much you want to spend. I purchased mine on ebay. Dove56 mentioned an online beauty supply that sells it. I got it for less on ebay. Right now these are the only two places that I know about.

MixedGirl, I use Cream of Nature Sulphate free shampoo and haven't had a problem.

Yodie, it's exactly 10 weeks for me tomorrow and I def need another treatment. I am doing one tomorrow then getting a trim on Sat.

I think the sulfate shampoo I used a few times broke the treatment down. It could've been protein too because I did use K-Pak! I'm glad I know now to bypass protein.:yep:

Shelew

It has been 10 weeks since last treatment and 21 weeks since last relaxer. Today I went in to get DE transition mousse. However that is not what I received!! I saw bottles with pravana but did not think anything of it because I did not know what it was until left and looked it up. I thought it was strange that she was putting treatment on with a applicator brush. Hair was really hard at blow dry stage. Then she cut to much off from hair! How did I find our that I had pravana perfection smoothing treatment. I text her when I looked up what was in those bottles and she said it was pravana which is better for my texture. I just did not respond was so upset! Not only did she hack my hair off but she put in a different brand and felt no need to tell me she was switching it up. Sorry for my long rant! So I will report back on how this holds up. It was ok when I left but I was focused in the chopped off hair sigh...

Shelew

I brought my bottle on Ebay for $145.
LivingDoll, I've been thinking about a clarifying shampoo as well. I'm thinking that I might clarify right before I re-apply the treatment.

I guess I am back to doing own hair after my bad hair day at the salon. I will have to look into this eBay

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Shelew does the pravana have formaldehyde in it? Or, is it another silk peptide treatment? I'm sorry this happened to you!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Dove56

Ladies,

Be careful clarifying before doing the treatment because I did that tonight with Suave Clarifying shampoo instead of the DE Sulfate Shampoo I used last time (directions say to use this shampoo) and the blow dry and flat iron process was a hot crispy mess!!!

I have experienced that once before when I used too much product doing a QOD Organiq treatment. I used the recommended amount with this process but the only thing I changed was the shampoo. Big mistake lol. :nono:

Anyhoo, the treatment turned out just fine and my hair is looking like a bag o'money it's so blingy and shiny so I am happy again! It lookeths and feeleths like silk lol.

I used the DE Sulfate Free shampoo on the second wash, Silk Elements Argan Mask, Living Proof Prime Style Extender (Best styling product in all the Earth) and Living Proof oil/silicone free serum. :drunk::spinning: YASSSS!!!! Humidity proof woot woot!

Last edited: