Any Relaxed Heads Using Wen?

Honey Bee

FelaShrine, I'm mad late, but yes, I have fine hair, am relaxed, and use Wen. When I initially joined lhcf, it was because of Wen-related damage. I later found out that I was over-moisturized. So now I just make sure I use a light protein whenever I wash, usually Aphogee 2 min., and I'm nice and balanced. :yep:

blessedandlucky, four years and yes, results have been consistent.

Honey Bee

^which is your fav fpr fine hair (and where the hell have you been
FelaShrine, I don't really have one. At first I got the Aloe Cucumber autoship. Then I bought a sampler that included Pomegranate, Sweet Almond Mint, and Lavender (which is supposedly for fine hair). I've tried 613 and the Gardenia one. A few months ago, I signed up for a really good deal from QVC, iirc, two 16oz, Sweet Almond and Pomegranate, autoshipped for $40.

My conclusion is that the entire line provides excellent moisture. Some are thicker, some are thinner, but otherwise, I haven't noticed a discernible difference. :duck:

In response to your other question, all I'll say in public is, my relationship is going swimmingly.
:blush3:

KaramelDiva1978

Still waiting on my Summer Mango but tonight i deep conditioned with Hello Hydration and 613. Hair felt amazing going on. Excited about results

pink219

I want to try 613. The fig and tea tree are good, the fig takes a minute to get used to the smell though.

SuchaLady

This is the third thing I want to add to my rotation. I have 2 staple conditioners and would like to add the Wen product line. Idk how I would go about using it though.

beautyaddict4

Hi Ladies,
I still haven't figured out how to use this website:perplexed, so I'll tell you a bit about my hair before I ask my question. I have relaxed hair and I'm in the process of growing out an inverted bob. I have very porous hair that's a dingy brown colour :ohwell:. I don't have a particular goal length in mind yet, however I would love to have healthy, manageable hair that requires a minimal amount of effort and product.

I recently started using wen fig (about 1 week ago) and although I really hate the smell of it, I love the concept of using one product. I've realized that my hair is feeling pasty and dull after it dries though. Can some of you ladies tell me exactly how you're using it so I can figure out how it can work for me?

Thanks

mshoneyfly

Hi Ladies,
I still haven't figured out how to use this website:perplexed, so I'll tell you a bit about my hair before I ask my question. I have relaxed hair and I'm in the process of growing out an inverted bob. I have very porous hair that's a dingy brown colour :ohwell:. I don't have a particular goal length in mind yet, however I would love to have healthy, manageable hair that requires a minimal amount of effort and product.

I recently started using wen fig (about 1 week ago) and although I really hate the smell of it, I love the concept of using one product. I've realized that my hair is feeling pasty and dull after it dries though. Can some of you ladies tell me exactly how you're using it so I can figure out how it can work for me?

Thanks

beautyaddict
Welcome to LHCF!

I have the Fig formula and some others. I mostly use it when I am deep in a relaxer stretch (after I reach 5 weeks post) bc they have so much silicone and protein and leave my hair soft and manageable. But I don't use them exclusively. I mostly use the fig and pomagranate together as a cowash when I need to add strength to the hair.

The pasty, dull feeling may be product buildup from the cones and whatever else you are using. You probably need to clarify. I use ORS Creamy Aloe Poo once a month to get rid of buildup to prevent eventual dryness and breakage.

beautyaddict4

mshoneyfly,
Thanks so much for the tip about clarifying.

What are you using as a leave in and a moisturizer after using wen? After applying these products, does your hair still feel silky and light weight or does it feel weighed down? I can't stand that weighed down feeling because I leave my hair down due to the length.

mshoneyfly

mshoneyfly,
Thanks so much for the tip about clarifying.

What are you using as a leave in and a moisturizer after using wen? After applying these products, does your hair still feel silky and light weight or does it feel weighed down? I can't stand that weighed down feeling because I leave my hair down due to the length.

beautyaddict4
I don't use a leave in product after Wen. Many people on this forum use a little more Wen after rinsing as a leave in. I have done it before but sometimes I don't.

I use my reg moisturize and seal products after my hair is about 80-90% dry (Im high porosity). My fav moisturizers right now are Komaza Care Coconut Hair Milk, Shea Moisture restorative conditioner (never used as a rinse out but love it as a moisturizer), Shea Moisture Thickening Growth Milk or Nubian Heritage Custard.

Also, I have been experimenting with AVGel as a moisturizer too and on the scalp followed by Haitian Black Castor Oil. I really like it. I will try this on my next Wen wash.

beautyaddict4

beautyaddict4
I don't use a leave in product after Wen. Many people on this forum use a little more Wen after rinsing as a leave in. I have done it before but sometimes I don't.

I use my reg moisturize and seal products after my hair is about 80-90% dry (Im high porosity). My fav moisturizers right now are Komaza Care Coconut Hair Milk, Shea Moisture restorative conditioner (never used as a rinse out but love it as a moisturizer), Shea Moisture Thickening Growth Milk or Nubian Heritage Custard.

Also, I have been experimenting with AVGel as a moisturizer too and on the scalp followed by Haitian Black Castor Oil. I really like it. I will try this on my next Wen wash.

mshoneyfly
I guess I'm gonna have to do some research because I haven't heard of those products before! Does waiting until your hair is 80-90% dry before applying these products make a big difference with the way your hair feels? I never thought of doing this.

mshoneyfly

mshoneyfly
I guess I'm gonna have to do some research because I haven't heard of those products before! Does waiting until your hair is 80-90% dry before applying these products make a big difference with the way your hair feels? I never thought of doing this.

beautyaddict
I am transitioning from relaxed bone straight to texturized so my hair is pretty high porosity. That means it dries quickly. I usually keep it wrapped in a tshirt or towel until 80-90% dry. Then apply my products. The cones in the Wen leaves it smooth and soft but I do this even when I use something else. The hair is at its weakest when soaking wet so I lose a LOT less hair when I let it dry some.

What are you currently using as a leave in and moisturizer? How is it working out for you?

beautyaddict4

beautyaddict
I am transitioning from relaxed bone straight to texturized so my hair is pretty high porosity. That means it dries quickly. I usually keep it wrapped in a tshirt or towel until 80-90% dry. Then apply my products. The cones in the Wen leaves it smooth and soft but I do this even when I use something else. The hair is at its weakest when soaking wet so I lose a LOT less hair when I let it dry some.

What are you currently using as a leave in and moisturizer? How is it working out for you?

mshoneyfly
Since I've started using Wen, I've been trying to figure out what works best with it. I've tried using one pump of wen as a leave-in and then sealing with hot six oil. I found that my hair felt a bit coated with this method. I've also tried using giovanni direct leave in and then sealing with hot six oil. Immediately after applying, my hair felt ok, however the next day, my hair felt pasty. Then again, this could be because I've been applying everything to wet hair. I'm still in the trial and error period with Wen but I think the real issue is my high porosity hair. No matter what I use, my hair feels fragile and dehydrated the next day. I think I really need to work on a protein/moisture schedule so that I can really benefit from Wen.

mshoneyfly

beautyaddict4
You need to use a sulfate shampoo pronto to remove the buildup or your hair is gonna start breaking. Try your first wash with a sulfate then apply the Wen immediately after for the 2nd wash. You should see a noticeable difference right away.

IDK how familiar you are with relaxers but the poo that comes with a relaxer kit will remove all the cones and stuff from your hair. If not get ORS Creamy Aloe poo. You can find at walgreens, cvs, walmart, target and any bss. Use this poo at least once a month.

Then you can focus on your protein/moisture balance. If you don't clarify, the protein and moisture wont be able to penetrate because the cones act as a sealant and prevent the moisture and protein from getting into the hair shaft.

beautyaddict4

beautyaddict4
You need to use a sulfate shampoo pronto to remove the buildup or your hair is gonna start breaking. Try your first wash with a sulfate then apply the Wen immediately after for the 2nd wash. You should see a noticeable difference right away.

IDK how familiar you are with relaxers but the poo that comes with a relaxer kit will remove all the cones and stuff from your hair. If not get ORS Creamy Aloe poo. You can find at walgreens, cvs, walmart, target and any bss. Use this poo at least once a month.

Then you can focus on your protein/moisture balance. If you don't clarify, the protein and moisture wont be able to penetrate because the cones act as a sealant and prevent the moisture and protein from getting into the hair shaft.

mshoneyfly
So I just finished washing my hair with live clean apple cider vinegar clarifying shampoo and for my second wash, I used the mango coconut wen ( I just got it today and it feels a lot better than the fig in my hair). Afterwards, I used the Giovanni direct leave in conditioner and I sealed with hot six oil. Hopefully this will make my hair feel better.

mshoneyfly

beautyaddict4

Thats great!! Sounds like you're on the right track. Now what about a moisturizer?? What do you put on your dry hair throughout the week to replenish the moisture without having to rewet it?

janeemat

I just ordered Wen since they had a special for $29.95. I am curious to see what all the hype is about.

mshoneyfly

mshoneyfly
To be honest, I'm not sure what to use that won't weigh my hair down. Any suggestions?

Something with water as the first ingredient. Some naturals use a tiny bit of rinse out conditioner on each section like Tresemme Naturals or one of the VO5 conditioners. You could also cowash with these during the week to add moisture. I use mostly Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner. Its a rinse out but I use it on dry relaxed hair during the week. I like products that do double and triple duty. One of the hair masques by Nubian Heritage also works as a prepoo, DC and moisturizer. I also have a sample of Komaza Care coconut hair milk that I like.

I think there is a thread on fav leave ins and moisturizers on here if you do a search. Other LHCFers may want to chime in as well

HHHG!!

beautyaddict4

Something with water as the first ingredient. Some naturals use a tiny bit of rinse out conditioner on each section like Tresemme Naturals or one of the VO5 conditioners. You could also cowash with these during the week to add moisture. I use mostly Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner. Its a rinse out but I use it on dry relaxed hair during the week. I like products that do double and triple duty. One of the hair masques by Nubian Heritage also works as a prepoo, DC and moisturizer. I also have a sample of Komaza Care coconut hair milk that I like.

I think there is a thread on fav leave ins and moisturizers on here if you do a search. Other LHCFers may want to chime in as well

HHHG!!

mshoneyfly
Thanks so much for the suggestions and advice!

Ladies,
How often are you co-washing with wen and how often do you clarify?