Is everyone going to reach Mid back or waist length hair EVENTUALLY???

Vashti

MBL? I had it before, I will have it again. I think anyone who is healthy can have it that long if they are willing to work for it and stop doing things that create setbacks. Some will just achieve it much more quickly than others. That's how I feel about it.

brucebettye

I have been bsl before when I was in my teens, So I am going to have to see if I will go any longer than bsl. I am almost apl and I want to cut my hair back to a ear length because I like my hair in a bob that short. So we shall see how long it will be before I cut my hair again.:ohwell::spinning::drunk: It is only hair and I know that it will grow. Also I am getting tired of wearing buns.

Last edited:
I think anyone who wants to can.

I hear people on the genes thing, but then again before here some people thought black women couldn't grow long hair because it wasn't "in the genes" for them.

So now, I rather hear encouragement instead of 'some people can't/won't' cause for some women coming here that's the last thing they need to hear....

ETA: plus there's so much stuff as far as growth aids/garlic treatments/etc that even if you're the person with the shortest growth period and the smallest amount of inches per month (and really how big a percentage of women is that really going to be when it's both on the lower end of the averages) you'll find something to help you out. But the moment you believe you can't, then you probably won't.

LovelyNaps26

this is totally not scientific but this is how i'm thinking of my hair growth possibilities: i expect to achieve at 2 more length goals after i started taking care of my hair than i had before. in other words, if i managed to get to SL when i treated my hair poorly, I should be able to first make APL, then BSL.

when i was relaxed and treated my hair like trash (in the pool with chlorine that i wouldn't wash out, blow frying my hair, gel, moisturizing only with pink lotion:lachen:) i somehow made it in between apl and bsl. now that i'm natural and have recently seen the light i expect that i can reach near waistlength if i want to but certainly MBL.

I know this may not make sense but because breakage was the main culprit in my lack of length retention over the last few years (natural hair ain't having that no moisturizing business) I expected that I should be able to scrape together enough inches per year to add another 12 inches to my hair. since november i've retained 3 inches. Only, 9 more to go!:yep:

Enyo

Of course being the numbers queen, I want to point out that MBL and WL are not the same on everyone. My MBL is only BSL or BSB on a tall woman, and my MBL is waist length on a short woman. I think most women can grow 15-20 inches of hair without extreme effort - where that falls on each of us is totally dependent on our bodies. And that number is in NO WAY scientific. I just noticed that among the women who measure, almost everyone was 15+ inches.

LittleLuxe

I think science and reality have their place, still and I say this about many different areas I think black women and most women of color (unless you came from a family or culture that encouraged healthy practices) have been unfortunate in being slightly behind white women and etc.

The reality is that black hair care really didn't get the huge burst in interest and surge in trying to find effective healthy practices until the 2000's. Now while I know white women have had the bane of their existance in the 50's through 80's and perhaps beyond I still think they naturally had a headstart considering their hair tends to grow a little faster and easier and the good majority of all hair products were aimed towards them. Whereas we...when we face a defeat whether at the hands of breakage or unfortunate salon trips we chalk it up to 'well my hair isn't meant to be that long'. Not to mention the Luster's Pink Lotion, hair grease, and hair sheen sprays that were mineral oil in a can.

Honestly I do think any woman can achieve mid-back length if that is her choosing. The reality is we're all exploring and learning on this journey together. I'm pretty sure only a few of us can profess to be hair experts or have the research and scientific background to state anything as fact. We are literally our own test subjects and learning about our bodies and hair with each day. Just in the month I've joined this board I've learned SO much.

I say give black women another 10 years doing healthy practices and learning before we state 6-8 years as fact. Another reality is unless you shave your head damn near bald and start from the beginning you really don't know how your hair is effected from starting on a damaged foundation. Lately I've been trying to take care of all the hair on my head and I've noticed that while I can have pretty long lashes when those lashes shed (prior to my efforts) the new lashes grew in longer, stronger, and healthier.

My guess is even if you read only shoulder length keep it up! Don't quit. Work at it and you may be surprised that your scalp now treated lovingly will pump out more than you expected.

curlyninjagirl

I think people can throw around the words "genes" and "genetics" all day long, but at the end of the day when we look at the short-haired women in our families, how many can we say have actually made an effort NOT to run their length into the ground with poor hair care or apathy?? It's not an accurate representation of the lengths we can get to at all.

And it's like Preciouslove0x says: Where are the lengthy scientific trials in which they've studied the growth cycles of African American women? Are there any? And scientists have had to back track on grossly generalized statements since science began.

I think this forum is our case study and we can look to the long-haired ladies who have successfully retained their length, even though we're not related. I think they're a true testament to the lengths we can go, not some dude in a white coat.

Whimsy

I choose not to believe in terminal hair length.

I choose to believe that my hair will be butt length one day.

cocoaluv

I think people can throw around the words "genes" and "genetics" all day long, but at the end of the day when we look at the short-haired women in our families, how many can we say have actually made an effort NOT to run their length into the ground with poor hair care or apathy?? It's not an accurate representation of the lengths we can get to at all.

Exactly. The women I know who's hair never grew past shoulder length are the ones that either A) liked their hair like that and kept it trimmed at that length or B) never took care of their hair in the first place

me-T

i don't think everyone will. not because of terminal length, genetics, etc. but personal decisions (like wanting to go natural), setbacks. little things that put length achievement on pause

how does one know the length of their growth phase anyway? who cut their hair RIGHT at the start of it to see how long it would be before their hair stopped growing? that's why i dismiss the terminal length thing.

Last edited:

curali

I need help and don't know how to start a thread on this, but, I am 1 year into my transition and need to do a length check and need to get rid of the permed ends(kinda long and stringy) but I don't know how to do this.

How can I straighten my hair 'naturally' to be able to determine its length, texture, etc.

Thanks for all responses!

belleza

i'm gonna have long hair down my back to my waist consequences be darned!!!
.....sorry ya'll I dont' cuss but YOU GET MY POINT!!!:whip:

She-Ra

Well I know I wont because I dont want my hair that long. But I'm the minority on the board.

Girl, I'm part of that minority.(Though I'll still dream) I lack the patience for the work required to do waist length plus it might get too bulky under my many wigs.

caribeandiva

Human being
i believe everyone will reach mbl if they stay consistent with what works for them. You will get older anyway so you might as well have healthy, gorgeous mbl hair. Be patient.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I do believe in terminal length as I have personally seen several people of different nationalities reach theirs. However all these people were past MBL (but then again, all were short), so I do believe maybe BSL is possible for most people.