HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Starr1

but...

If people don't chelate after using sodium hydroxide based relaxers, then the mineral in their hair is sodium...

True there is some level of sodium left in the hair, but it is important to realize that there is always some level of several minerals in the hair. Generally the level of sodium left in the hair isn't significant enough to need chelation every time, because the other minerals already in the hair will balance it out and the formulations for relaxer after care are made to maintain that mineral balance.

While calcium hydroxide (no lye, which leaves calcium behind) is known for dryness, sodium hydroxide (lye, which leaves sodium behind) is known for leaving the hair moist...

I think in this case "moist" is relative-when in comparision to a no-lye relaxer, then yes lye leaves the hair more "moist". A chemical process that is introduced to the hair has two main functions 1) to open up the cuticle to make processing possible and 2) to process the hair in the desired manner. As I stated before sodium is a water softener, so when relaxing with lye, soft water is introduced into the hair shaft, however this does not detract from the corrosive nature of sodium- which is why gloves are used during the process. Calcium on the other hand can harden water (an example of this is pipe calcification in hard water areas). The added "moisture" is due to the softness of the water, not just the sodium itself. This effect however is very temporary, oftentimes going away by or before the next wash. Anyone who is relaxed can attest to just how dry the hair can get regardless of which process they used.

Irresistible

ok i looooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeee me some aveda brilliant and i can tell you it does not foam. to get your moisture back i would mix and deep conditioning moisture mask with oil and honey and leave it on for a couple of hours.

Well what was all that froth? see now I am thinking it had to do with the salt, when I added oil it made it froth less

Irresistible

Yeah, but you said that people don't chelate after relaxing because it would interfere with the relaxing process... how/why?

It doesn't neccessarily interfere with the process persay, but rather can create an effect contrary to the effect of relaxing. Think of it this way: everything on your hair adds weight- including metals and buildup. When you relax the hair, there are less bonds hold in the hair together (thus the stretching), but there can still be buildup and metals attached to the strand weighting it down. This is why clarifying often "defines" the curl pattern on an individual, even those who are relaxed- the less weight on the strand the less it's pulled straight. Chelation can have the same effect. By removing the "weight" of the metals the bonds have the ability to get closer- they are still relaxed and there are still the same amount of bonds, but they will be closer none the less. The result is the a relaxed strand that will appear slightly more curly than it was when it was when intially relaxed.

As you can see on this high tech chart I created:grin:, the natural strand has more bonds holding it together than the relaxed, the relaxed with less bonds can stretch out. That same relaxed strand when clarified loses some the excess weight that can stretch it out. Chelation further lessens the weight on the strand.

*lost* so what does my hair look like right now after using salt? :lachen:

I'm so scared to chelate! Thats going to be soooo stripping omg!

Irresistible

but...

If people don't chelate after using sodium hydroxide based relaxers, then the mineral in their hair is sodium...

While calcium hydroxide (no lye, which leaves calcium behind) is known for dryness, sodium hydroxide (lye, which leaves sodium behind) is known for leaving the hair moist...

Which was my point!

I just got one question , is this salt gonna come out my hair???????:spinning:

yodie

So, this is why my hair felt like salt after my no-lye relaxer started breaking off. Lye relaxers break too.

I just remember noticing that my how felt like a salty build up. I didn't know anything about chelating, clarifying etc and I was a member of this board. YIKES!!

Irresistible

Yep I should have waited before trying. Can anyone explain to me why my hair seems more porous...every since this, my hair is drying much faster.I was the crazy one that fell asleep with it in my hair.
ohhh no mama! you slept with it in your hair? how much salt? girl not like I know what to tell you, but maybe porosity control???

Come on ya'll help her out!

Irresistible

Hi Iris, just wanted to add my 2 cents--Don't Panic! Okay? I think your hair is going to be fine. I thought your curly, post salt-conditioned hair looked BEAUTIFUL, but it did look very different than it normally looks. I think you are just going to have to be patient. If you overwork, overwash and overcondition your hair I think you are going to create another problem. If I were you, I'd stick to my regular routine and just up my daily moisturizing and add in an extra deep con here and there. Just relax, your pretty hair is going to be fine. Have you had a water softner installed at your new house yet? I think using soft water is what will make the most difference--we got one installed a year ago and all of our hair has been doing very well.
Thank you sweetie! I have to get my hair back though, so I gotta work on it. Guess what a water softener uses salt! (thats what I heard) so now I'm just that much more lost
Too...much... info. Can't... comprehend...:look: Okay, I can honestly say that I am totally confused now.:spinning::spinning::spinning: Neith, I like the coconut milk and avocado idea, I want to try that.:yep:

Yeah I'm pretty lost right now too

Neith

True there is some level of sodium left in the hair, but it is important to realize that there is always some level of several minerals in the hair. Generally the level of sodium left in the hair isn't significant enough to need chelation every time, because the other minerals already in the hair will balance it out and the formulations for relaxer after care are made to maintain that mineral balance.

I think in this case "moist" is relative-when in comparision to a no-lye relaxer, then yes lye leaves the hair more "moist". A chemical process that is introduced to the hair has two main functions 1) to open up the cuticle to make processing possible and 2) to process the hair in the desired manner. As I stated before sodium is a water softener, so when relaxing with lye, soft water is introduced into the hair shaft, however this does not detract from the corrosive nature of sodium- which is why gloves are used during the process. Calcium on the other hand can harden water (an example of this is pipe calcification in hard water areas). The added "moisture" is due to the softness of the water, not just the sodium itself. This effect however is very temporary, oftentimes going away by or before the next wash. Anyone who is relaxed can attest to just how dry the hair can get regardless of which process they used.

That makes sense... but mineral deposits are not the only reason for dryness. The broken protein bonds are more to blame, especially hair relaxed with lye relaxers.

It's still widely known, observed and accepted as a fact that the calcium from no lye leaves the hair in much worse shape than sodium from lye.

I never said that salt itself is moisturizing, it is just not as bad for the hair or as hard to remove as calcium and other heavier minerals.

In small amounts, it can also beneficial to hair imo.

I just got one question , is this salt gonna come out my hair???????:spinning:

Imo it's mostly out, iris. Your hair would return back to normal even if you don't do anything else to it. After 3 days there was no difference in my hair at all. :yep:

It's going to be okay hun :bighug:

No one on the board that has tried it reported ANY permanent affects!

Irresistible

That makes sense... but mineral deposits are not the only reason for dryness. The broken protein bonds are more to blame, especially hair relaxed with lye relaxers.

It's still widely known, observed and accepted as a fact that the calcium from no lye leaves the hair in much worse shape than sodium from lye.

I never said that salt itself is moisturizing, it is just not as bad for the hair or as hard to remove as calcium and other heavier minerals.

In small amounts, it can also beneficial to hair imo.

Imo it's mostly out, iris. Your hair would return back to normal even if you don't do anything else to it. After 3 days there was no difference in my hair at all. :yep:

It's going to be okay hun :bighug:

No one on the board that has tried it reported ANY permanent affects!

alright! Neith I am going to calm my nerves now, all these other posts just keep freaking me out! Thank you thank you thank you for keeping the 'sound reasoning' going through this! Thank you so much mama. I wont panic anymore, but I am going to go get them Avocados and Coconut milk right now :yep:

ravenmerlita

I bet the oil did the trick. John Masters Organics makes a Sea Salt Spray for the hair. They add oil to it to combat the drying from the salt.

The description says "Now every day can be a day at the beach. Simply spray desired amount on hair for that extra body and wave you love at the ocean. Essential oil of lavender helps to protect the hair and combat the natural drying effects of sea salt. Safe for color-treated hair." http://www.curlmart.com/John-Masters-Organics-Sea-Mist-p-690.html

girlcherokee

now this is interesting - cuz i did use ORS with EVOO and i have also been nightly putting aloe with gycerin(with a nettle tablet melted in) and sealing with vatika oil. makes total sense.

Miosy

I've been using Elucence conditioner 4 some years now and honestly-it sucks as a moistuizer :( I use it as a detangler every wash and use humectress as my moistuizer.

Eluence is the only conditioner that detangles my hair :)

Irresistible

I've been using Elucence conditioner 4 some years now and honestly-it sucks as a moistuizer :( I use it as a detangler every wash and use humectress as my moistuizer.

Eluence is the only conditioner that detangles my hair :)

After using this twice now, one time with oil one time without, I have to agree with you

My Aveda/Oil Combo did much better! Guess that will be on repeat from now on:yep:

and since I have two big jugs of this Elucence I will just use it as a detangler or for CW :yep: