Adding Oil to Relaxers?

hot_pepper96

I'm wondering if adding oil to relaxers diminish the relaxing results. I want to add EVOO to my relaxer because I can't relax my own hair, but my sister takes as long as 40 mins to do my relaxer. One time she took 1 hr (including applying and working it through). I figure maybe some oil might slow the process down while its on my hair.

IMFOCSD

hot_pepper96 said:
I'm wondering if adding oil to relaxers diminish the relaxing results. I want to add EVOO to my relaxer because I can't relax my own hair, but my sister takes as long as 40 mins to do my relaxer. One time she took 1 hr (including applying and working it through). I figure maybe some oil might slow the process down while its on my hair.

:eek: That is a long time!

Have u tried doing a search?

Bumping for you, hopefully someone can give you some advice/info.:)

xxxxcherishxxxx

An hour, even 40 minutes is WAYYY to long! If you want to try a relaxer with oil, try Motions Oil Moisturizer relaxer I know that has oil in it. I haven't personally added oil to a relaxer but I apply oil to my ends when I relax so it doesn't overprocess my already processed ends.

hot_pepper96

I don't know why it takes that long. Too be honest she watches the tv and there are other distractions in the room. I wish I could self-relaxe but I don't think I can handle it.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
In your case--since she takes so long with the relaxer--adding oil can only benefit your hair. The oil will slow down the relaxing process, depending on how much you add.

What strength relaxer do you use?

hot_pepper96 said:
I don't know why it takes that long. Too be honest she watches the tv and there are other distractions in the room. I wish I could self-relaxe but I don't think I can handle it.

godsflowerrr

i added olive oil to my last relaxer and the results were great. my hair came out straight and sooooooo soft...it didn't burn at all. i will be doing this with every relaxer for now on..

CAPlush

If I were you, I would bring a chair into the bathroom and have her apply the relaxer to the back while you apply to the front if at all possible. You really really should keep your processing time down to 25-30min or what is recommended in the kit. If you just tell her that you would like the application to go quicker because you believe it would benefit your hair, but of course you appreciate her help, I think she would be supportive as your sister and not get her feelings too hurt.

AKA-Tude

I always add oil to my relaxers.

It really helps the process & helps keep my hair soft.

When I do this w/ SAA spray, the results are WOW :eek: !!!

magviv

I am really interested in adding oil to my relaxer the next time that I get a touch-up. AKA-Tude and godsflowerrr how much oil do you put in your relaxer?:)

Artemis

CAPlush said:
If I were you, I would bring a chair into the bathroom and have her apply the relaxer to the back while you apply to the front if at all possible. You really really should keep your processing time down to 25-30min or what is recommended in the kit. If you just tell her that you would like the application to go quicker because you believe it would benefit your hair, but of course you appreciate her help, I think she would be supportive as your sister and not get her feelings too hurt.

ITA w/CAPlush! Anything longer than 30 min is seriously asking for baldness, IMO.

Mook's hair

hot_pepper96 said:
Why don't you think you can handle it? How long or thick is your hair?
It's not as hard as you might think.

Yes I've heard that adding a tablespoon of olive oil slows the relaxing time giving you more time for application & smoothing. I've never tried it though.

Does your scalp ever burn? 40 minutes is reaaallllly long.:confused:

hot_pepper96

I agree that is way to long. Most of the time is her smoothing the relaxer through. My hair is becoming so resistant. The newgrowth is tough/course, but my strands are always super straight and fine.

I've only gotten burns when I took to long to wash my scalp and there was an irritated spot. My scalp can be sensitive. Come to think of it, when I used Optimum & Soft & Beautiful my hair did not take that long, but it was not great for my scalp. I think the regular for ORS Relaxer just does not cut it anymore. I always end up with one area (Usually the back) underprocessed.

Maybe I'm using the wrong strength relaxer????

sareca

I haven't done it yet. Last time I added protein. This time I'm adding both. :yep: I'm planning to add about a teaspoon of protein and a tablespoon of Aphogee EFA.

AKA-Tude

magviv said:
I am really interested in adding oil to my relaxer the next time that I get a touch-up. AKA-Tude and godsflowerrr how much oil do you put in your relaxer?:)

I add about 5-6 tblsps in the relaxer, maybe a little more, then mix well & apply.

HTH

InnerSoul

godsflowerrr said:
i added olive oil to my last relaxer and the results were great. my hair came out straight and sooooooo soft...it didn't burn at all. i will be doing this with every relaxer for now on..

I also add oil to my relaxers. I add 2 tblspns of EVOO and 1 tblspn of Sweet Almond Oil to my relaxer creme mix. I love the shine it gives to my relaxed hair!:)

malibu4590

InnerSoul said:
I also add oil to my relaxers. I add 2 tblspns of EVOO and 1 tblspn of Sweet Almond Oil to my relaxer creme mix. I love the shine it gives to my relaxed hair!:)

I do the exact same thing :yep:

dreamer26

Just when I think I have learned all the hair tricks I stumble on this.

Adding a bit of oil does sound good I will try it.

sareca

AKA-Tude said:
I add about 5-6 tblsps in the relaxer, maybe a little more, then mix well & apply.

HTH

5-6! Really?! And it still works? Hmm, might have to up my amount.

AwesomelyNappy

ok, call me crazy.... maybe i dont understand... but, i thought that if you put oil in your relaxer that the result would be a texlaxer (however you spell it)?:ohwell: :confused:

So... to all here who are adding oil to the relaxer, is your hair still coming out straight? Or is it Texturized?:confused:

And if adding oil to a relaxer doesnt add texture, then what exactly is a textlax? maybe i need to do a search...:scratchch:look:

sareca

*raises hand* I'm texturized and I add protein and will be adding oil to my next relaxer.

envybeauty

i *always* add oil to my relaxer. I use lye (Silk Elements mostly) and I always add like 1/3 EVOO to the mix before relaxing. I love the results. The last time, I texlaxed (relaxed in two sections, and left it on for 10 to 15 minutes each section). Didn't burn or anything.

It is the only way I can self-relax with a lye relaxer. It is the only way I can relax with a lye relaxer without burns period. My alternative is using a no-lye and I'm not going back there as no-lye leaves my hair dry as ish after a few weeks.

Love the results.

C

chica_canella

InnerSoul said:

You know what, this makes absolute sense because the strand or cuticle is opened meaning not only is the base breaking down the curl but at the same time u are infusing oil in the strands chemically.:)

Lady Esquire

malibu4590 said:
It's not oil. It stands for Silk Amino Acids and I believe it's a protein that makes your hair...well, silky :)

I am on a constant chase for SILKINESS. Where can I purchase Silk Amino Acids?