Waist Length After 40

• I disagree. WL looks good after 40

Votes: 129 93.5%
  • I agree. Cut that hair off after 40

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koolkittychick

I am 45 years old. I am constantly mistaken for being in my early twenties. I am constantly complimented when I wear my almost waist-length hair down. This idiocy does not apply to (most) Black women. :yep:

ikandi87

Any woman should be able to wear her hair as she pleases...with that being said I think that this "rule" kind of only applies to white women. I have seen make overs where a white woman's hair is cut and it takes off ten years. Also all of the older ladies in the wealthy neighborhood where I work look so cute and polished with their bobs and pixie cuts!

Ms. Syl

Women over 40 who wish to wear their hair at waist length should do so.
I consider this a personal issue/ decision that each individual needs to make with no interference from others.

tomnikids3

Totally disagree. I'm 50 and my hair is passed my bra strap and im going for waist length. In no way does it look too young for me in my opinion. The pic i have on my profile was taken just last year so i don't think I look bad.

ChristmasCarol

I didn't decide to grow my hair out until after I was 40! I get nothing but compliments - especially from Black men. My DH says his friends complain about their wives short hair cuts occasionally. I don't know if it's just my locale, but extremely short fades seem to be all the rage...
Of all the over-40 BW I know, only my BFF also has WL hair.

I think the "Mom bob" is very aging, BTW.

Jewell

I could care less about age, really. I don't think every woman over 40 looks good with or should have a Bob or shorter style like a pixie cut. Personally, I find WL+ hair very appealing and attractive on 40+ women, and in general. I plan to grow mine as long as possible...as long as it grows and thrives, I'm going to let it.

Long, thick, healthy hair in the second half usually denotes youth and general good or decent health. It also bodes to femininity, and at a time when hormonal levels can plunge, (perimenopause) longer hair is quite beautifying and can take years off your age by appearance.

I don't think we as Black women look bad or inappropriate with long hair past 40 at all, and like a fine wine, the more we age, the better in most cases.

Last edited:

Subscribe

I could care less about age, really. I don't think every woman over 40 looks good with or should have a Bob or shorter style like a pixie cut. Personally, I find WL+ hair very appealing and attractive on 40+ women, and in general. I plan to grow mine as long as possible...as long as it grows and thrives, I'm going to let it.

Long, thick, healthy hair in the second half usually denotes youth and general good or decent health. It also bodes to femininity, and at a time when hormonal levels can plunge, (perimenopause) longer hair is quite beautifying and can take years off your age by appearance.

I don't think we as Black women look bad or inappropriate with long hair past 40 at all, and like a fine wine, the more we age, the better in most cases.

Jewell

Do you have a channel, Facebook or picture of your tailbone...HAIR!:lick:

CrissieD

I think this is true for white women. Black women with long hair tend to look good at any age. I am pretty sure BostonMaria is 40 and her hair is to die for. I don't think it ages us.

Jewell

Jewell

Do you have a channel, Facebook or picture of your tailbone...HAIR!:lick:

Subscribe

My Facebook account is: https://www.Facebook.com/breaunnaj.b (my first name is BreAunna)

I have a Fotki and I was featured in Divachyk's blog, Relaxed Thairapy where photos were posted. My Fotki accounts are:

http://www.public.fotki.com/JewellStar (most recent pic posted is 1 year ago)

http://www.public.fotki.com/JewellJ (old school pics from when I first began my HHJ in full effect)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jewell

Well they wouldve hated my grandma then....

Same here. I know they be hatin' and at the same time salivating at the mouth because my grandma has glorious, shiny, blinging, silver wavy hair that reaches past her waist. She is 70. And her skin tone is deep caramel like Iman. I luxuriate at the thought of and sight of her hair. :yep:

Evolving78

Thin stick straight, raggedy, splits, etc. don't look good at any length.

i'm with you! as long as it is healthy looking and stylish, i say go for it. i mean what is the point of me growing my hair and i have to cut it in the next few years...:perplexed :lol:

JaneBond007

Not in India, Ethiopia, Morocco, LHC nor LHCF. Me thinks people direct women too much. What about saggy balls...which age man is that appropriate on?

BostonMaria

Kelly needs to eat a hamburger and sit down

I'm 43 and my hair is past my waist
I'll cut my hair when I'm 95 LOL

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I wear white after Labor Day. My hair length depends on my mood and health, not age. I wear mini skirts. I am officially 35. I do what I want like Cartman from S. Park. :lol:

As someone mentioned I do not feel this applies to black and latina women. We look 60 at 90 years old. So........ Felicity needs to rephrase her idea.

Last edited:

healthyhair2

I think there is some truth to it, for stick straight hair. Long straight hanging hair accentuate the lines on the face and pull them down more, making you appear older. So more, the more we age, the more style is needed, even if it's just a beautiful long side braid.

But then , what about women like Jane Seymour and Demi Moore? Christy Brinkley! Jackie Collins! These are women who have great looking long hair AND are past their 40's.

JaneBond007

Who needs permission to be oneself, though? It's competition for younger women who think they can push an older woman out of the rink. All for a man's approval. "Do you, boo!"

Cherokee-n-Black

So late entry. Totally disagree. I think it all depends on the wearer and the hair (er...just felt like it should rhyme). In any event 42 WL natural, but never wear it straight.

Misshairdiva

True but raggedy unhealthy waist length hair usually looks better when cut up bluntly to MBL or even BSL with some layers. Too many on here hold on to their hair for dear life just to have a certain length when they need to focus on health or ability to style it once in a while.

Wow.. I can't believe I read that! I'm 41 and yes I can pull my locks almost to my waist! And no I don't think I look like a drag... :blush::nono: