Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2014

ckisland

My hhj is starting all over again, so this is the challenge I need the most :lol:.

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Relaxed

Current Length: BSB right now, but soon to be CBL

Current Products:
Eden Body Works Jojoba Monoi DC
Eden Body Works Curl Defining Creme
Eden Body Works Peppermint Tea Tree Shampoo (sulfate-free)
Aubrey Organics Blue Camomille condish
Aubrey Organics White Camellia condish
Roux Porosity Corrector & Conditioner

Current Techniques: None at the moment :look:

What in your regimen are trying to nail:
1. Moisture/ protein balance; figuring out weekly moisturizing & protein reggie
2. Maintaining my ends
3. Avoiding buildup, clarifying and if I can use Aztec Clay for this
4. Stretching for 12-16 weeks and not getting breakage at the line of demarcation
5. Maintaining a dusting schedule

What's your starting strategy:
1. Poo with EBW sulfate-free peppermint shampoo 1x/week
2. DC with Aubrey Organics (Blue or White) or EDW Jojoba Monoi DC 1x/week
3. Detangle in the shower with DC in
4. Let my hair dry 50% then spray on Aphogee Green Tea (only on wash day). Apply AO as moisturizer then EDW Curl Defining Creme, and set hair on flexirods, rollers, or 2 braids. Moisturize and/or seal daily-every other day.
6. Clarify 1x/month (don't know what I'll use for this)
7. DC with Aubrey GBP followed by AO Blue or White 1x/month
8. Final conditioning rinse with Roux Porosity after clarifying and protein DC

Anything else you want to share:
I'm thinking when I get to 8-10 weeks post, I'll switch to washing every 2 weeks, using smaller flexirods and rollers for longer lasting sets. I'll also do an Aphogee protein treatment about a week before I relax. I plan to wear my hair mainly in ponytails, clipped up, 2 braids and messy buns (see how that goes).

Last edited:

myfaithrising

Ok, here it goes!!!

My current regimen is long, which I really dont mind although I need a simpler version for mid week as I've started to work out regularly so once a week washes are not enough anymore. I also want to nail my staple products, and stick with what works.

Tell us About You

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: I am Natural

Current Length: My current length is BSL

Current Products: I use a ton of products because I have a ton of products. For some reason I feel like I have try everything that any type 4 has had any success with.

Current Techniques: I do it all which is why wash day is all day and part of the day before. -

1 - I prepoo the night before wash day.

2 - On wash day I wash, rinse out, deep condition with heat, wash that out, oil rinse with ceramide oils, put a bit more rinse out on top of the oil, rinse that out

3 - Here is my version of the LOC method which is more of a LLLOC and maybe B, I apply a tea rinse, apply a leave in, a moisturizer and then an oil (right now its a KeraVeda blend which is my boo thing right now. ( I try to leave time between steps for all of this to sink in, if not I may use my heat therapy wrap to help it along) I then add my cream which is usually a QB product (AOHC in the winter and BRBC all other times), then its twists to air dry. If is super cold outside I'll butter my ends

If I'm bunning or wigging or otherwise hiding my hair them I'm done. If I'm going for an "out" style then I'll use a styler once my hair is about 80% dry or even the next day ( I never style on wet hair) the good thing is that my hair is good all week (if its out in cold weather, I may need to remoisturize and seal midweek) the bad thing is that now that I'm working out 5 days a week I have to find an abreviated version of this for at least one midweek cowash.

I dont think i need all of these steps all of the time, so I have to see what I can give up so that I can squeeze in a midweek cowash.

I need to nail my products so that I can stick to what works and not jump around so much.

I also need to get a protein regimen down, my hair really likes protein but I get so caught up in moisture that I dont do protein treatments with any regularity.

What's your starting strategy: I have no idea, i wanted to start eliminating steps to see what I can get away with but I'm sceeeerrred!!

Anything else you want to share:I think I should head on over to the pj challenges ( use 1, buy 1 or use up your stash) I think I may have a teensy bit of a problem... :blush:

I also think that for all I do my hair should be down to my butt by now, but that's a conversation for another day :spinning:

***Check in weekly/monthly to update us on your progress.[/QUOTE]

faithVA

[USER=372679 said:
myfaithrising[/USER];19386703]Ok, here it goes!!!

My current regimen is long, which I really dont mind although I need a simpler version for mid week as I've started to work out regularly so once a week washes are not enough anymore. I also want to nail my staple products, and stick with what works.

Tell us About You

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: I am Natural

Current Length: My current length is BSL

Current Products: I use a ton of products because I have a ton of products. For some reason I feel like I have try everything that any type 4 has had any success with.

Current Techniques: I do it all which is why wash day is all day and part of the day before. -

1 - I prepoo the night before wash day.

2 - On wash day I wash, rinse out, deep condition with heat, wash that out, oil rinse with ceramide oils, put a bit more rinse out on top of the oil, rinse that out

3 - Here is my version of the LOC method which is more of a LLLOC and maybe B, I apply a tea rinse, apply a leave in, a moisturizer and then an oil (right now its a KeraVeda blend which is my boo thing right now. ( I try to leave time between steps for all of this to sink in, if not I may use my heat therapy wrap to help it along) I then add my cream which is usually a QB product (AOHC in the winter and BRBC all other times), then its twists to air dry. If is super cold outside I'll butter my ends

If I'm bunning or wigging or otherwise hiding my hair them I'm done. If I'm going for an "out" style then I'll use a styler once my hair is about 80% dry or even the next day ( I never style on wet hair) the good thing is that my hair is good all week (if its out in cold weather, I may need to remoisturize and seal midweek) the bad thing is that now that I'm working out 5 days a week I have to find an abreviated version of this for at least one midweek cowash.

I dont think i need all of these steps all of the time, so I have to see what I can give up so that I can squeeze in a midweek cowash.

I need to nail my products so that I can stick to what works and not jump around so much.

I also need to get a protein regimen down, my hair really likes protein but I get so caught up in moisture that I dont do protein treatments with any regularity.

What's your starting strategy: I have no idea, i wanted to start eliminating steps to see what I can get away with but I'm sceeeerrred!!

Anything else you want to share:I think I should head on over to the pj challenges ( use 1, buy 1 or use up your stash) I think I may have a teensy bit of a problem... :blush:

I also think that for all I do my hair should be down to my butt by now, but that's a conversation for another day :spinning:

***Check in weekly/monthly to update us on your progress.
[/QUOTE]

Don't be scared. You will be able to figure out a good scaled down plan. It doesn't mean that you can't do your full plan from time to time.

If you want to reduce your stash, you need to stay far, far away from the Use 1 Buy 1 thread. PJs took over that thread years ago :lol:

faithVA

[USER=303161 said:
spellinto[/USER];19387883]faithVA is it too late to join your healthy ends challenge too? :)

Not at all. If I'm hosting a challenge it is never too late to join. I never do cut off dates.

myfaithrising

Don't be scared. You will be able to figure out a good scaled down plan. It doesn't mean that you can't do your full plan from time to time.

If you want to reduce your stash, you need to stay far, far away from the Use 1 Buy 1 thread. PJs took over that thread years ago :lol:[/QUOTE]

No wonder that thread seemed to be calling me...

Super_Hero_Girl

Tell us About You Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning:
Natural

Current Length:
BSL

Current Products:
The DevaCurl line
Aphogee Two Step
Miss Jessie's Baby Butter Creme
SalonCare Cholesterol Deep Conditioner Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner
La Bella Lots of Curls Gel
Shea Butter/JBCO mixture
Shea Moisture Curls & Style Milk
The One n' Only Aragon Oil Line
Coconut Oil
EVOO
Aloe Vera Gel
Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
HE HH
Nexus Hummectress Conditioner

Current Techniques:
I deep condition weekly and I just started protein treatments. I plan to do those once every 4-6 months. I don't do anything else that consistently.

What in your regimen rare trying to nail:
Hmm, I'm actually trying to create a routine, as I don't really have one right now. My goals are healthy ends and tons of retention. I want to see WL in 2014! I also want to explore some grown and sexy natural hair style options, try oil rinsing, and test a sulphur mix. Hopefully, this thread can help me narrow down product lines and techniques that work for me, as I start exploring more, without turning into a pj. :p What's your starting strategy: I'm reading up on sulphur mixtures and the greenhouse effect. So I'll be doing my research and experimenting. I'll try to stay in protective styles.... we'll see how that goes. That's all I got for now.

Happy Holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

sissimpson

Give myself a gold star for this week....
Pre-pooed over night with the last of an old jar of CC Natural's something or other... bought it last year, using up the jar. Washed this AM with a CCN chocolate shampoo bar. Then I deep conditioned with their Smore DC pods. Mixed it up with berry tea, with a spoonful of coconut milk powder and one of honey. Put some on my face for a mask too! Left it on for about 45 minutes. Rinsed applied a little coconut oil, and rollerset using CCNaturals hibiscus leave in. Dried under a soft bonnet hair drier for about an hour, then went to sleep. Hair curled nicely. Now I just have to be a good girl and keep it up.

faithVA

[USER=1948 said:
Super_Hero_Girl[/USER];19389205]Tell us About You Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning:
Natural

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Welcome to the thread. May you reach WL with no problems.

blackeyes31626

Natural

Current Length:
BSL/MBL ish

Current Products:
SM poo
Oyin dew and Juices & berries
Komaza Care coconut spray leave in
Komaza Care protein tmt
jojoba oil, dabur amla oil, and olive oil
Pantene curly conditioner

Current Techniques:
-poo weekly
-deep tmt mask(avocado and oil) weekly
-protein tmt every two weeks or so
-oil rinsing
-moisturize w/ liquid spray leave in and seal w/ an oil

What in your regimen are you trying to nail:
-moisturizing and sealing. I am trying to find a good 'C' to help lock in the moisture w/o being greasy or making my hair hard and dry.

-I want to incorporate more ayurvedic oils and powders into my regimen

alanaturelle

I think I will join this challenge; this year I really struggled to put together a good regimen. So I hope I can benefit from this challenge

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Natural

Current Length: Grazing APL but I'm thinking of cutting 1 to 2 inches off

Current Products: Shea Moisture, Eden Body Works, As I Am, Suave & VO5 conditioners for cowashing

Current Techniques: Cowashing

What in your regimen are trying to nail: I'm trying to see how often I need to do a protein treatment. With all these co-washes, I think that I should be doing a protein treatment a lot more.

What's your starting strategy: I will start with a heavy protein treatment and do a light one every other week and go from there.

Anything else you want to share: I'm planning on flat ironing my hair for Christmas which I haven't done since July. Most likely I'll cut off a couple of inches so I don't expect to see a huge length difference between the pic in my siggy and this time around.

I also had a hair analysis done and received some great tips on what my hair would benefit from. I'll follow them and see how my hair likes it. I would definitely like to be full APL by July 2014 and BSL by Dec 2014

HHJ, :)

snoop

I think that I'd like to join this challenge:

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Natural

Current Length: Approaching APL

Current Products:
Cleanser: Homemade mud wash
Shampoo (occasional use): Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture shampoo or Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating-Clarifying Shampoo
Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating-Calming Conditioner, mayo dc (occasionally)
Moisturizer/spritz: Giovanni Direct Leave-In + water, homemade hair cream
Oils: Castor+almond/macadamia nut oils, EO for my edges

Current Techniques:
Detangle using seamless combs and put hair into big plaits.
DC (occasionally)
Mud wash then condition
Soap up excess water with a Tshirt.
Put hair into mini twists and let it air dry.
Wear twists for 2 weeks and bun the twists when going out. Silk bonnet when at home.
Wash weekly during this time. Then repeat the whole process.
Baggying under my winter hat.
LOC in winter, reduce oil usage in summer.
Occasional henna.

Thorough detangling and detangling with minimal breakage.
Maintaining moisture without my hair feeling greasy.
Stretching my hair without heat and improving my styling technique in general.
Creating a good mud wash recipe.
Creating a good DC recipe.

What's your starting strategy: I’m hoping to get a hold of a heat cap to assist with the moisture. I’m also hoping to straighten my hair in the New Year and get a cut/trim. I think at that point I’ll be in a better position to decide what to improve on.

Last edited:

PJaye

Update:

Since the hairdresser and I couldn’t come to a meeting of the minds - she adamantly refused to give me a haircut on dry, straightened hair – there will be a slight revision to my plans. Sometime next week, I will straighten my hair and give myself a deep trim afterward.

I have also come to the conclusion that pre-pooing on my perpetually air dried hair is ineffective since any “ooh la la” I experience from it immediately disappears after shampooing. Still, I will continue to experiment with it on my straightened hair to see if some benefit can be derived from it.

I did hit upon a surprising new development with regard to detangling – oil rinsing. Previously, all it did was produce hard, greasy, limp hair; but that changed with a simple equation: drenched hair + very warm water + a thick oil = easy detangling with soft, moisturized roots. Doing this will also have the added benefit of helping me use up some of the unnecessary oils in my stash. I'm going to keep playing around with it to see how things progress.

So, the next benchmarks on my agenda will be perfecting my straightening technique and straight-haired regimen.

Ogoma

Sometimes I feel like I don't know my hair. I have not wet my hair in over a week and it is still very soft. I have been using DB Transitioning Creme or Oyin Hair Dew to moisturize at least every other day, but no water at all. It has been 9 days. I don't think I have ever gone this long without cowashing or at least spritzing and didn't think my hair could handle it.

I will still maintain my weekly co-cleanse and midweek cowash as needed, but good to know my hair will do well if I have another week like this one and cannot get to it.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Sometimes I feel like I don't know my hair. I have not wet my hair in over a week and it is still very soft. I have been using DB Transitioning Creme or Oyin Hair Dew to moisturize at least every other day, but no water at all. It has been 9 days. I don't think I have ever gone this long without cowashing or at least spritzing and didn't think my hair could handle it.

I will still maintain my weekly co-cleanse and midweek cowash as needed, but good to know my hair will do well if I have another week like this one and cannot get to it.

Maybe it is because Oyin has water in it as the first ingredient? I don't know about DB.

uofmpanther

I'm feeling lazy this week I think. I deep conditioned last night and didn't layer in my protein DC. Also, I had medium sized twists in and didn't take them down to DC.

I really should do another Curlformers set this week to confirm Oyin is the way to go, but I'm really loving the ease of these twists right now. I wonder how long I can keep them in before they start to lock

Ogoma

Maybe it is because Oyin has water in it as the first ingredient? I don't know about DB.

They both do. I have always thought I also needed to add extra water/liquid, but it seems the water in both is just enough. My hair remained stretched without spritzing water or any liquid.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
At the end of each month I plan to do a length check. Maybe on the first when I start my week long inversion for the month.

Ogoma

I put my hair in three braids last night with Komaza Aloe My Hair Cream. My hair is super soft and not greasy at all. I am going to keep testing it, but if the performance holds up, it is going to have a permanent place in my stash. I hate the scent though.

ilong

God's Own
faithVA - I want to definitely be in this challenge - especially since I started a similar one this morning. :lachen: I didn't know you had started this challenge so I revised that thread to re-direct any viewers to this challenge. Hopefully, a moderator will see my request to delete the thread.

Question - is the challenge year long only? I can only commit to a regimen for 3 or 6 months at the most, which is ample time for results. I have a June goal so if something isn't helping me reach that goal I will need to replace it and revise my regimen.

Ogoma

I have my regimen down. I don't have my product list finalized, but have my regimen in order. I should have my product list finalized by end of winter. I will update when my list is finalized next year.

I think I have a routine I can live with and fits into my life.

Weekly:
- Co-Cleanse with Ouidad Curl CoWash until used up, then use Co-Cleansing Mix
- Condition & detangle with CJ Smoothing Conditioner until used up then TBD conditioner
- Oil rinse with oil mix (meadowfoam, grapeseed, broccoli seed, frac. coconut, passionfruit)
- Moisturize with Oyin Hair Dew or DB Transitioning Creme
- Seal with Komaza Creams or butter mix & aloe gelly
- Stretch with Curlformers, braids, or buns
- Co-Wash mid week as needed with TJ TTT and moisturize/seal/style as usual

Monthly
: first Sunday of month starting in February
- Kalpi Tone gloss with TJ TTT, Honey, Oil, Irish Moss
- Clarify with Lush Fair Trade Honey Shampoo
- Condition and detangle with CJ Smoothing Conditioner until used up then TBD conditioner
- Moisturize, seal, and style as usual

Quarterly
: Instead of monthly routine
- Pre-poo and detangle with TJ TTT, Honey, Oil, Irish Moss
- Deep Condition with CJ Repair Me
- CoWash it out with CJ Smoothing Conditioner until used up then TBD conditioner

Last edited:

mshoneyfly

I have my regimen down. I don't have my product list finalized, but have my regimen in order. I should have my product list finalized by end of winter. I will update when my list is finalized next year. I think I have a routine I can live with and fits into my life. Weekly: - Co-Cleanse with Ouidad Curl CoWash until used up, then use Co-Cleansing Mix - Condition & detangle with CJ Smoothing Conditioner until used up then TBD conditioner - Oil rinse with oil mix (meadowfoam, grapeseed, broccoli seed, frac. coconut, passionfruit) - Moisturize with Oyin Hair Dew or DB Transitioning Creme - Seal with Komaza Creams or butter mix & aloe gelly - Stretch with Curlformers, braids, or buns - Co-Wash mid week as needed with TJ TTT and moisturize/seal/style as usual Monthly: first Sunday of month starting in February - Kalpi Tone gloss with TJ TTT, Honey, Oil, Irish Moss - Clarify with Lush Fair Trade Honey Shampoo - Condition and detangle with CJ Smoothing Conditioner until used up then TBD conditioner - Moisturize, seal, and style as usual Quarterly: Instead of monthly routine - Pre-poo and detangle with TJ TTT, Honey, Oil, Irish Moss - Clarify with Lush Fair Trade Honey Shampoo - Deep Condition with CJ Repair Me - CoWash it out with CJ Smoothing Conditioner until used up then TBD conditioner - Moisturize, seal, and style as usual

Ogoma

Your regi is ON POINT!!! And it makes good sense too. I am still listening to my hair's needs and wants and mostly playin' it by ear but I will get there soon.

So what is aloe gelly?

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Rozlewis

I have my regimen down. I don't have my product list finalized, but have my regimen in order. I should have my product list finalized by end of winter. I will update when my list is finalized next year.

Weekly:
- Condition & detangle with CJ Smoothing Conditioner until used up then TBD conditioner
- Oil rinse with oil mix (meadowfoam, grapeseed, broccoli seed, frac. coconut, passionfruit)

Monthly
- Condition and detangle with CJ Smoothing Conditioner until used up then TBD conditioner

Quarterly
- CoWash it out with CJ Smoothing Conditioner until used up then TBD conditioner

Ogoma, nice regimen. I noticed that you use Kalpi Tone monthly. I purchased some but have not used it yet. Have you ever used Henna? If so, how do you compare the Kalpi Tone to Henna and what is your recipe for the Kalpi Tone?

uofmpanther

Weekly:

Monthly

Quarterly

Great regi!