Fine haired type 4 naturals MBL and longer...

chocolat79

Bumping for more tips please!!!!

I'm just now realizing how fine my hair is, although it's very dense. Also, I thought my hair hated protein, but now it seems I need to add a little to my regimen so I'll be doing that as well. I've been on here for years and still haven't actually gotten serious about my hair until now. I gots to do better!

MzSwift

I'm a fine-haired kinky girl!:grin:

I'm not MBL yet, but next goal isn't MBL, it's my last rib bone. I like to use body markers as they are easier to measure.

I believe in lots of daily moisture, weekly lite protein and AT LEAST 95% PSing. My hair grew from SL to BSL last year as a result and I can't deny the effectiveness of that combination (and also visualization :yep:).

I stopped using shampoo except for a monthly or bi-monthly clarifying with Suave. I use cleansing ayurveda powders mixed into a cheap conditioner base (Suave). Since I started doing that, my hair has grown in thicker.

charmtreese

I'm a fine-haired kinky girl!:grin:

I'm not MBL yet, but next goal isn't MBL, it's my last rib bone. I like to use body markers as they are easier to measure.

I believe in lots of daily moisture, weekly lite protein and AT LEAST 95% PSing. My hair grew from SL to BSL last year as a result and I can't deny the effectiveness of that combination (and also visualization :yep:).

I stopped using shampoo except for a monthly or bi-monthly clarifying with Suave. I use cleansing ayurveda powders mixed into a cheap conditioner base (Suave). Since I started doing that, my hair has grown in thicker.

I love your hair!!! I can only hope to grow from sl to bsl in a year!!! That would be awesome. :drunk:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Subscribing.

Wow. Love this.

Mine is just now reaching sl. Woohoo.

What I'm finding is that combing with a seamless comb is a must to remove shed hairs as mine is more like a fine 4c . M and S is also important.

coolsista-paris

i think ill start finger combing/detangling.im not sure if its a good idea as i undo conrows just once a month for long wash shampoo protein dc day.
im between apl and shoulder blade. id just say apl.

MzSwift

i think ill start finger combing/detangling.im not sure if its a good idea as i undo conrows just once a month for long wash shampoo protein dc day.
im between apl and shoulder blade. id just say apl.

It makes things so much easier if you finger de-shed and detangle as you're taking down each cornrow. That's exactly how I do it! And I either recornrow it or transform it into mini braids. I then wash/DC/alladat in the new style. GL with whatever you decide.

If it doesn't work for you, you still have the comb to fall back on ;)

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
...lurking...

I'm near BSL and hoping to be able to add to this thread in the future.

I said this back in August, but now that it's several months later, I'm finally near MBL. (I think. :lol:) Hopefully, I'll make it this summer so I can share my regimen with the other fine haired members. :grin:

ajoke

NappyNelle, yes, please come back and share!

As for me, I have had my hair in medium sized braids with extensions since March 22, I just took out a couple of them (smearing the hair with oil loosens the tangles) and I am very happy with the state of the hair. I think I'll put back some braids. Loving the low mani, stress free style.

coolsista-paris

ohhhh NappyNelle please come back and share. please!! dont wait.

im doing everything i can but feel like im stuck at apl and no change..same length as 3 months ago. i ps....very very low manipulation. im so fustrated that ive been thinking of relaxing again or texlaxing for the first time... perplexed..

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Wow hanna_light, thanks for chiming in! Have you got any pictures of your hair in it curly state?
Also, how do you wear your hair on a daily basis, and how long has it taken you to reach WSL?
I also tried wet bunning, before realising - not for my hair type. Thank God I didn't lose too much hair with that experiment, unlike the frequent washing experiment. Sigh.

hanna_light - I would like to know the answers to ajoke's questions too!!! And to see a pic of your hair in it's non-straightened state. :yep:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
For those who have asked, here is my regimen:

Regimen:
Pre-poo with a warm oil. Wash and deep condition under steamer once a week or every two weeks, depending on style (loose or protective). [Alternate using shampoo and conditioner for washing; alternate protein conditioner and moisturizing conditioner for steaming.] Air dry and style. Moisturize and seal as needed during the week, concentrating on the ends of hair. Massage scalp with sulfur oil or pomade 3-4x a week. Trim every 3 months using the lunar cycle provided at Luna Tips-Heavenly Hair Care.

Staple Hair Products

Shampoos: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo

Conditioners:
Co-Washing- Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture
Moisture- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Protein- Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancing

Styling

Moisturizers:
Spray- Oyin Handmade Juices & Berries & Frank Juice
Creme- Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream

Gel:
Heavy- Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Gel with Sparkle Lites

Oils: Castor, Coconut, Hemp seed oils

So far, this is the most current rotation of products I am using, but when I wear my hair out, I use Hairitage Hydration's Cloud moisturizers. I think my regime is simple, but I've been doing more work lately to revive my hairline and pay attention to my ends.

ETA: I just noticed that one eye is covered in so many photos. That is how my hair falls naturally, even with a middle part. :lol:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
love your hair to Poohbear, feel free to share your secrets:yep:

Thanks lamaria211, but my hair isn't MBL or longer yet. :ohwell: My hair is still what I consider APL. I hope to have MBL by the end of this year though.

I'm still learning what's best for my hair after 7 years of having natural hair. I do see that frequent washing, wash n gos, and styles that pull my hair back like buns are not for me. My hair likes to be stretched. So I've been sticking with twistouts and braidouts and occasional flat ironed hair. I also find that blowdrying my hair before styling in twistouts and braidouts works best for my hair as well. And I know I would probably retain more length with protective styles but I just can't keep my hair in them. Like twists for instance, my ends always unravel, no matter what. And my unraveled ends just get all tangly and gives me single strand knots.

Goombay_Summer

@hanna_light - I would like to know the answers to @ajoke's questions too!!! And to see a pic of your hair in it's non-straightened state. :yep:

It would say that it was an agonizing painfully slow 5 years to grow my hair from bald (had a Waiting to exhale moment during my divorce and shaved everything off) to WSL. Due to the nature of my very fine hair, strands in its natural state aka tangle city it is mandatory that I wear my hair in braids, it may not be pretty but it has allowed me to keep my hair stretched while avoiding tangles.

MzSwift

@MzSwift what moisturizing product do you use?

A daily moisturizing spray of water + coneless condish (Suave TC) + oil (grapeseed or EVOO)

Sealing with EVOO helps a lot.

My moisturizing DC usually has honey, EVOO and tsp of sea salt. Since I've started adding hibiscus, it's been doing very well.

HTH! :)

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
I'm surprised you fine type 4b's have been able to incorporate protein.. Anytime I use anything with protein in it, my hair just keeps snapping off.

judy4all

Another fine, 4a checking in :yay:!

Have you tried silk protein? I believe a lot of folks that can't tolerate keratin respond well to silk protein and silk can be very strengthening and nourishing for the hair. You can even buy Silk Amino Acids and add the liquid to your shampoo, DC, leave-in, in KCC or other gels, whatever. I have used it this way and LOVE it (although it can sometimes smell a little "fishy")!

But my fine hair tolerates keratin, too, so I use the Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructerizer after my weekly DCs. I even add a splash in my KCC when twisting my hair. This product has keratin as the second ingredient and SAA as the third and it has completely turned my hair around!

My regimen is the following and I have high porosity hair so it really sucks up products. I try to use products containing citric acid and aloe vera which helps seal the cuticle and seal in moisture:

*Weekly: CW with Trader Joe's Tingle Treat Conditioner
*Weekly: DC on dry hair with heat for at least 30 minutes using Giovanni Nutrafix (protein) and Doo Groo Intense Penetrating Conditioner (moisture). I add glycerin, EVOO, jojoba oil, vitamin oil and coconut oil to the mixture.
*Weekly: spray damp hair with Aphogee Keratin Restructerizer, apply leave-in and let air dry for a few hours before twisting hair with KCC and sealing with grease.
*Daily: KCC in either a gel or using some that I've added Deionized water and glycerin and use as a spray. Seal with grease. Repeat regimen after 7 days.

Using this regimen consistently this year has taken me from SL to APL. I really believe the consistent use of protein and well, consistency has my hair turnt up!

HTH!

coolsista-paris

i started using protein in.january 2012 and my hair has never been better. i dc With apoghee 2 min every 10-15 days. add protein leave in + s curl.

may longest layers were apl in march and bsl in december ! i was pleased.

i also dusted about every 3 months.

ive never had better rétention than in 2012. so this year im doing the same aiming for mbl at the longest strands. (my hair grows in layers and i dont mind )