Fine haired type 4 naturals MBL and longer...

Imani

Bumping for more responses! Love this thread. Seems like so many of the more well known long heads of hair do not have fine strands.

It sounds like I pretty much follow the same methods as many who have responded. Hopefully that means my hair can grow up to be like theirs one day!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
After reading this thread i'm definitely looking into cassia. I had never given it much thought before. My hair is fine and it's a good length....it's really thrived due to my regimen and what I've learned on the boards. I've recently decided to step it up even more so I can take my hair to the next level (length and thickness). My length has kinda come to a stand still and the ends get so thin at hip-length so I always end up cutting it out of frustration. I've upped my deep conditioning from once a month to once a week and I'm doing a lot more light/medium protein. I'm gonna try to do some kind of protein weekly....I think fine hair needs more protein than normal strands and that's something I wasn't doing enough of before.

I'm not a type 4 but I feel that fine hair of any type has most of the same battle's/problems so I hope no one minds me posting.

Off to read up on cassia!

ajoke

I wonder if any one who is a fine haired natural wears their hair straight most of the time. I am style challenged, and if my hair could take it, I would consider straightening often just so I can bun in peace. I can't bun right now without putting pressure on my edges and ends. It is a lose, lose situation :(

NYDee

hanna_light, have you considered being a writer? You will be good at it.

Love your tips. Thanks.:)

WSL 4b natural checking in (I'm so claiming it under the Hair Bible extreme long hair growth chapter 3:10), crazy ramblings but IMHO it counts if you are not doing the gangster lean and that lone ragged hair strand which I'm calling a lead crosses the fine line from MBL to WSL.

kila82

I cosign with NYDee! Hannah_light I loved ur response! Thanks ladies for all the info and thanks OP *feverishly taking notes*

Dee Raven

I'm a fine, dense-haired 4A HL. I've changed my regimen several times during the journey because I BC'd to a TWA and grew from there. Here's what worked for me:

Helped a lot
Wearing twists or other protective style 90% of the time
Stopped blowdrying
Stopped going to the salon
Detangling with denman brush and lots of conditioner
Applying conditioner to hair before washing it (this has worked even better than putting olive oil on before washing)

Helped some
Henna, henna glosses
Flat ironing (on low) conditioner

Nubenap22

I'm only SL but what I've learned is:
Oil rinsing is heaven sent!
Fat juicy sexy twists, aint gonna happen,
I'm in a current no combs or brush trial and error and its great so far....but I've been in twists and finger detangle in sections with oil, conditioner saturated hair.
I'm claiming APL this year!
Oh if I have ssk, do a search and destroy, don't let those devils eat up your ends, causes more tangles and knots than my heart can handle.

Valerie

Very good thread, I have fine hair and when I was growing up, it could never get to shoulder length, only when I had a curly perm, it got pass my shoulder length, what helped I have to spray moisturising products. Whenever I relaxed, I suffered bad thin ends. Since I am natural, what has really helped my hair to thicken up using henna, henna gloss, now that I am coloured, I use cassia treatment every two to three weeks, aloe vera gel, castor oil, mixture, use ovation cell therapy and the creme rinse (which I really love), I also use mega tek and creme rinse. I also deep condition my hair using moisturising conditioners, I use a hair steam, Jannu steamer in UK, similar to the Huetiful steamer. I wash my hair twice weekly, once in my plaits/braids, as it gets untidy, I replait it again, using my fingers to detangle. I have started using hot oil treatment or overnight treatment with castor oil, olive oil, aloe vera gel. That also has improved my hair, plus I massage my hair daily, put castor oil on my roots twice a day, it is missed with olive oil and aloe gel as castor can be very thick.

I haven't flat ironed my hair for nearly seven years now, I don't owe a flat iron, or a blow dryer. I daily rinse my hair every day, using care free curl and conditioner mixed with water.

NowIAmNappy

I am MBL 4b with fine strands and medium density. The two most important things for me are protective styles I prefer updos or twists and protein treatments. I know right away when I skip a month without henna my hair breaks and I can't seem to retain length. Other things that help are keeping your hair stretched which helps avoid ssk and detangling in sections.

constance

I'm a fine haired 4a3c bw WL & HL and the best thing I've done is limit combing. I comb 1x a month in the shower but that’s mostly for psychological reasons (simply cannot believe hair has no tangles after a month of finger detangling. I’ll overcome this fear in 2012.). ;)

Last edited:

JudithO

I'm surprised you fine type 4b's have been able to incorporate protein.. Anytime I use anything with protein in it, my hair just keeps snapping off.

ajoke

I'm surprised you fine type 4b's have been able to incorporate protein.. Anytime I use anything with protein in it, my hair just keeps snapping off.

Maybe you should look into the type of protein you are using. I use some protein regularly, and find that my hair gets mushy without it.

Glamorous_chic

I'm a fine haired 4a3c bw WL & HL and the best thing I've done is limit combing. I comb 1x a month in the shower but that’s mostly for psychological reasons (simply cannot believe hair has no tangles after a month of finger detangling. I’ll overcome this fear in 2012.). ;)

yes this has helped me alot.im still early in my journey, my hair is shoulder blade length. these are a few things i've learned over the last year. the tangle teaser was the devil, and im mad i took soo much time trying to locate it. initially after my big chop, i didnt know how to get second day hair, let alone 3rd, 4th, or 5th, my hair would look a mess when i woke up in the morning(despite the pineapple method) so i ended up washing it everyday/every other day and combing it everyday as well. i decided to only comb once/week. im on the other end of the spectrum in that my hair is very protein sensative. :nono: can't win for losing. so i have to be very careful and look at the ingredient list to avoid it in products. i find if i just try to leave my hair alone, and try to keep it covered when i go to bed, and keep it moisturized i don't have too many problems. too much manipulation leads to breakage for me. i also can't use too heavy oils for sealing either. the best conditioners for my hair are water based.

gn1g

Dee Raven "Applying conditioner to hair before washing it (this has worked even better than putting olive oil on before washing)"

That is the TRUFF!

judy4all I follow my protein cond with a good moisturizer helps alot.

The biggest problem for me is that it is very difficult to strengthen my hair, anyone have a solution that has worked for them. weak hair = straggley hair.

kinkycurlygurl

I'm only at BSL stretched out. Right now I'm having good results with a water regime and I have fine, dense 4a/b hair.

1. I do protective styles 5-6 days a week.
2. I wash my hair with water.
3. I follow with a final rinse of 1/2 tsp of ACV in a gallon of water.
4. Every evening I massage my scalp and move the sebum down the lenght of my hair.
5. I spritz the hair with water and put it up for the night.
6. I sleep with the hair covered
7. I use a smooth, seamless wide-toothed comb.

Since I started distributing my sebum down the length of the hair I've found that I get way less tangling and that the hair holds what ever shape I decide to give it.

My twist outs, brad outs, bantu knot outs what have you have been outstanding.

The only change I'm making to my regime, right now, is that I ordered a super soft, goat-hair brush and I'm going to try it out as a method of spreading my sebum more evenly throughout the hair.

I tried a boar bristle brush this week and while I liked the way it spread the sebum, it snagged and snapped some of my hairs. Boar Bristle is too rough for my hair. It was the first time I'd brushed my hair in 7 or 8 years.

The most effective way I've found to keep tangles at bay is not leaving any kind of style in too long and not wearing the hair out too much. Day to day I wear a variety of buns, braids and textured updos. The hair doesn't have the opportunity to tangle up and by styling my hair fresh each day I can deal with any small tangles as they happen. Protecting the hair in this way has cut my detangling time in the shower when I wash my hair down to a minimum. :yep:

coolsista-paris

b u m p i n g !!! please tell me there are more fined hair ladies out there. we need your advice too.come in come in.

Im tired of fighting.with my fine hair.i had à good balance in january then tada just seeems like i cant get it back grrrrr.