TWA Support Thread

Divine.

I had a pretty good hair day yesterday! I have been using Design Essentials Curl Stretching Cream as my cream for the LOC method and I love it! It has a light hold which helps when I put my gel over it. I'm really hoping that my hair can act right for the rest of the year

Attachments

• image-1756429131.jpg
    image-1756429131.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 65

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I had a pretty good hair day yesterday! I have been using Design Essentials Curl Stretching Cream as my cream for the LOC method and I love it! It has a light hold which helps when I put my gel over it. I'm really hoping that my hair can act right for the rest of the year
You are just too cute! I love that hair...do you get 2nd day hair?

meka72

does anyone here have a texture similar to mine? I'm struggling with moisture :sad:

Of course you know your hair but could your issue be your hair's porosity instead of the texture? I struggled with moisture until I figured out that my hair is highly porous and started implementing tips for that type of hair.

There's also a struggling with your natural hair thread somewhere. I'll try to post the link or bump the thread for you. Maybe you'll find some helpful info there as well.

Mz.MoMo5235

No I don't...I just stopped trying. My hair gets super dry so it's just better for me to wet it everyday. But my hair doesn't take long to do!

When my hair was this length I did the same. Water rinses were just easier.

And you and your hair are super cute

beauti

Of course you know your hair but could your issue be your hair's porosity instead of the texture? I struggled with moisture until I figured out that my hair is highly porous and started implementing tips for that type of hair.

There's also a struggling with your natural hair thread somewhere. I'll try to post the link or bump the thread for you. Maybe you'll find some helpful info there as well.

ok thank you. The problem I'm having is keeping the moisture more than a day. I have loads of products from my transitioning years but nothing really for my natural hair

meka72

meka72 I will do q porosity test when I get home. My relaxed hair was very high porosity. Don't have that issue now through

I initially thought that I had low porosity hair and would add a few drops of castille soap to my conditioner to lift the cuticles of my hair. It didn't really work all that well. Then I spent the weekend with my BFF who washed her hair and her hair stayed drenching wet for 12 hours. Obviously we couldn't both have low porosity hair. I then started incorporating acv rinses on my weekly wash day but struggled with getting the right acv:water ratio. I randomly added a tablespoon of acv to a Dasani water bottle and was amazed that my hair stayed wet for more than 5-10". I can now go 2 days without M&Sing. That said, I prefer to M&S and baggy for 1 hour daily.

beauti

I initially thought that I had low porosity hair and would add a few drops of castille soap to my conditioner to lift the cuticles of my hair. It didn't really work all that well. Then I spent the weekend with my BFF who washed her hair and her hair stayed drenching wet for 12 hours. Obviously we couldn't both have low porosity hair. I then started incorporating acv rinses on my weekly wash day but struggled with getting the right acv:water ratio. I randomly added a tablespoon of acv to a Dasani water bottle and was amazed that my hair stayed wet for more than 5-10". I can now go 2 days without M&Sing. That said, I prefer to M&S and baggy for 1 hour daily.

my hair stays wet overnight now and I liked it at first but not so much now. I want the moisture without a wet head

iVR

^^the thickness of your hair can be the cause of that. What are you using to moisturize your hair and what do you wash your hair with?

beauti

^^the thickness of your hair can be the cause of that. What are you using to moisturize your hair and what do you wash your hair with?

iVR I've been all over the place. I have tried tressemee natural conditioner as leave in with oil to seal. Today I used karen body beautiful super duper cream.another thing I've been doing is applying curly puddings like cantu, then oil, then eco styler gel.......

iVR

iVR I've been all over the place. I have tried tressemee natural conditioner as leave in with oil to seal. Today I used karen body beautiful super duper cream.another thing I've been doing is applying curly puddings like cantu, then oil, then eco styler gel.......

That sounds like a lot. Try mixing leave-in condish with oil instead without gel. Do it in a bottle in 50/50 portion. Then if the works but doesn't give you the hold you want add gel to the mixture. The portions should be 1/3 oil, 1/3 leave-in, and 1/3 gel.

beauti

That sounds like a lot. Try mixing leave-in condish with oil instead without gel. Do it in a bottle in 50/50 portion. Then if the works but doesn't give you the hold you want add gel to the mixture. The portions should be 1/3 oil, 1/3 leave-in, and 1/3 gel.

okay thank you. This morning I didn't use gel at all. Just dampened perimeter,smoothed some cantu coconut curling cream, and topped with little oil. My hair was very soft

Attachments

• PicsArt_1406520455590.jpg
    PicsArt_1406520455590.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 57

almond eyes

Are you guys raking gel through your twa? Feels like the would kill my curls.

The key is to use the gel after very moist and saturated hair (meaning freshly washed). Using a circular motion apply the gel and then leave it alone and let it dry. The white residue disappears when it is dry.

So gel does not need to be brushed, combed or raked through the hair. And also it depends on what type of gel one is using.

And I never sleep with products in my hair, I always rinse out everything before bed.

For those who have curlies, coils and waves the gel and a light moisturiser can make those pop. For those who don't you may use the gel for a slicked back look and use a head scarf to hold the hair in place but I don't like that look too much it looks hard and severe.

Best,
Almond Eyes

oneastrocurlie

The key is to use the gel after very moist and saturated hair (meaning freshly washed). Using a circular motion apply the gel and then leave it alone and let it dry. The white residue disappears when it is dry.

So gel does not need to be brushed, combed or raked through the hair. And also it depends on what type of gel one is using.

And I never sleep with products in my hair, I always rinse out everything before bed.

For those who have curlies, coils and waves the gel and a light moisturiser can make those pop. For those who don't you may use the gel for a slicked back look and use a head scarf to hold the hair in place but I don't like that look too much it looks hard and severe.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks! I'll try that circular motion method. My hair curls on its own. Looking for a way for them to pop more. I also think this as I am gel is too tacky or thick. I liked it for bunning. I'll give eco a chance since I already have it.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Are you guys raking gel through your twa? Feels like the would kill my curls.

Rake, you mean like with a comb? No. I put just maybe a quarter-size amount and pat it on top of my hair. I also work it through with my fingers wide-spaced. I notice I get more curl definition with more gel, but also it takes longer to dry and is harder, so I never use too much gel. If I see residue when drying, I keep spraying it with water and re-drying, until it dries white.

Mz.MoMo5235

Rake, you mean like with a comb? No. I put just maybe a quarter-size amount and pat it on top of my hair. I also work it through with my fingers wide-spaced. I notice I get more curl definition with more gel, but also it takes longer to dry and is harder, so I never use too much gel. If I see residue when drying, I keep spraying it with water and re-drying, until it dries white.

Raking is a method of applying products to your hair with your fingers. They have YouTube videos explaining how to do it. A lot of people get great clumping and curl definition when using this method

almond eyes

Raking is a method of applying products to your hair with your fingers. They have YouTube videos explaining how to do it. A lot of people get great clumping and curl definition when using this method

Thanks for the definition of raking. Again, I use the circular method and then leave my curls alone to dry and do their thing.

Best,
Almond Eyes

iVR

okay thank you. This morning I didn't use gel at all. Just dampened perimeter,smoothed some cantu coconut curling cream, and topped with little oil. My hair was very soft

How'd your hair feel at the end of the day?

Mz.MoMo5235

Thanks for the definition of raking. Again, I use the circular method and then leave my curls alone to dry and do their thing.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I'm a non-raker lol I end up looking like a wet cat all day if I do :lol:

I think it works best for really thick hair and for girls who have a z pattern. That's who I usually see raking and getting great results.

My hair isnt thick enough to handle all that (though I still dream I'll wake up with 2 more heads of hair on my head)

almond eyes

I'm a non-raker lol I end up looking like a wet cat all day if I do :lol:

I think it works best for really thick hair and for girls who have a z pattern. That's who I usually see raking and getting great results.

My hair isnt thick enough to handle all that (though I still dream I'll wake up with 2 more heads of hair on my head)

I agree those with fine hair it doesn't really show through as much and I have fine hair. And if I load up on too many products the curl pattern is off and the white residue remains.

Best,
Almond Eyes

lookingforkeona

MsGlass I am to report my hair is been cooperating lately. I guess this means I'll grow it out now :lol:

Is it normal to use multiple products if you have a TWA? I have a regimen that has been working wonders (Don't take my advice too seriously because I'm a PJ :look:), but it's 5 products! If I leave out one, my hair acts crazy. I do the LCO method then apply my gel, then a finishing product to control the frizz. Lately I have been using a setting foam to keep my sides smoothed down. I feel like I'm doing the most, but my hair looks great.

I use about 5 different products based on what I think m hair needs. Sometimes I go light, sometimes heavy. Still don't have a set regimen yet!

Mz.MoMo5235

I'm almost certain that I'm cutting tomorrow. I think it'll be better to keep my hair short while I fugure out whats causing the thinning and fix it.
So I'm either doing a sl a-line bob or cutting back to my larger fro I had going last year. I hate to lose all of my progress but I rather have short healthy hair that I can grow out later than long see through hair with three strands of hair holding on for dear life lol