Things that DIDN'T work for me *WOMP WOMP*

kupenda

Ok. Got mah list. Other than relaxing half n half etc, my hair also hates

Glycerin - I have tried so hard to like it. I was really hoping. Serious no go

HE anything- I can't believe it's legal to sell that stuff

Tresemme anything - omg no

Aphogee 2 min - worked at first, then all of a sudden my hair started laughing at it

Hairveda Acai Berry Phyto- worthless as a conditioner, but great as a leave in. I actually thought I liked it there for awhile. Don't know why

Shea Moisture anything- heck no. I really wish those products worked for me. Would love to be able to buy all my products locally

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

pookaloo83

Aloe Vera Juice-Leaves my hair HARD

Baggying-Gives me too much shrinkage

Hairved products

Shea Butter- Makes my hair dry. Just coats it

Braidouts

Nonie

pookaloo83, do you baggy loose hair? Because if you don't, you could take the baggy off before undoing the twists or braids and let your hair dry some and then you won't have so much shrinkage.

pookaloo83

@pookaloo83, do you baggy loose hair? Because if you don't, you could take the baggy off before undoing the twists or braids and let your hair dry some and then you won't have so much shrinkage.

Nonie No I used to baggy in twists. But the thing is, it would be dampish once I took the baggy off, then once my hair dried it felt like the desert. It's like it was only temporary.

BlueNile

Dabur Vatika Deep Conditioner :barf:

This stuff left me with a coating that was very hard to wash out. I had to break out the CON and that got my hair back to normal. Very disappointed because the Dabur Vatika Oil is the bomb. It is now an official staple oil. Oh......and I happen to like the scent :sekret:

choctaw

Dabur Amla Hair Oil in dark green bottle, smells like jasmine. The odor was so strong it gave me a headache. Lots of mineral oil. I used it to lubricate the garbage disposal.

candy626

It's gonna be tought to remember all the things I ended up taking back to the store this year.

Lottabody Olive Oil Setting lotion was a definite fail
Elasta QP Setting Lotion (seemed to make my hair dry)
Giovani Direct Leave in (I liked this at first but I seem to get build up rather quickly with it)
Mixed Silk Shampoo (though it was sulfate free it was VERY drying to my hair)
Aloe Vera Gel (gave my hair a funny sticky texture)

I know there's more, but I've eliminated a lot of products.

What I do love is:

Motions Moisturizing Shampoo
Aubrey Organic GBP Balancing Conditioner!
Hair One's Jojoba Cleansing Conditioner
Coconut Oil!

ecornett

im in the midst of a 1 yr and 2 mnth transition so i've been trying a lot of products

1. cantu shea butter leave in ingredients looked like crap but i said lets try it ne way...dry tangled MESS
2. carols daughter curl milk
3. con dried my hair out:(
4. shea moisture milks so so but didnt do much
5. shi naturals sticky on dry hair where did this ish go on wet:nono:
6. much much more lol

something that did work was juicy leave in on WET hair ive learned my hair must be wet when applying ne moisturizer though

im just gonna be straight i done bought a lot of stuff and nothing in the bss has worked. on a lighter note my hair responds very well to ayurvedic powders and i just started mudding and my super dry hair has done a 360.

youwillrise

Dry dc'ing. I've given this method a few chances (tried it again over the weekend) and it doesn't work for me...conditioners seem to penetrate my hair better when it's been rinsed. I don't put the conditioner on soaking wet hair, but damp.

fiyahwerks

I didn't have too many mishaps this year, but here are some products I did have some issues with:

Hairveda's HydraSilica
My batch was very sticky. I had to wash my hands immediately after usage. I added 1/2 bottle of avocado oil to it, and now I use it as a light leave in.

Fantasia IC's Hair Polisher Styling Gel
I think anything with aloe vera makes my hair super frizzy. Best for braiding and kinky twists. Best I stay away from gels made with aloe vera.

EVOO
My hair is a moisture monster. It sucked up all the evoo I put in my hair, and 30 minutes later my hair was super dry. I tried avocado oil which is heavier and I haven't looked back.

Renewed1

BreeNique I tried this method on slightly damp hair and I have a lot less hair in my comb. A WHOLE lot less!!

Which means I've been combing out the thickness. Darn it!!!!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.....

Detangling on wet hair: nope. not really an option. I detangle on dry/ damp-ish hair!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
cowashing-this is the reason i had such an itchy scalp.i like to shampoo 2x a week now.

leaving my hair alone for long periods of time-if breakage is occuring i cannot see it quick enough to correct it. plus too much shed hair at a time means alot of knotting and tangles for me.

joico products-i thought they were great are first but they all turned out to be an expensive waste of my time.

Raspberry

cowashing-this is the reason i had such an itchy scalp.i like to shampoo 2x a week now.

leaving my hair alone for long periods of time-if breakage is occuring i cannot see it quick enough to correct it. plus too much shed hair at a time means alot of knotting and tangles for me.

joico products-i thought they were great are first but they all turned out to be an expensive waste of my time

@Napp girl tell me about it, I have a liter bottle of the Color Endure conditioner I want to return but can't find the Marshall's receipt for it. I would mail it to one of yall but that mess is too heavy to eat the shipping charges smh. And unfortunately, none of my friends appreciate the intricacies of maintaining the protein/moisture balance so I don't want to be responsible for someone else's hair breaking off :lol:

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Oyin anything: way, WAY to much fragrance in their products and seriously over-hyped brand! Did nothing for my hair...
AVG or AVJ: my hair is not crunk upon the aloe...for cuts, yes. For kinks, um, no...
Coconut oil: makes my hair harder than Lorenzo from NWA...and that's HARD...
Not Megatek but the other one: oh, it made my hair grow. But it looked CRAY-ZEE! My folk and kin would look at me and say, "It was all good a week ago. The hell wrong with your hair???" I had to leave it alone...
Jessicurl products: Whatevs...
Lustrasilk Cholesterol: Shed City...
Henna: Wrong! It turned my kinky curls into a wavy, frizzy mess! No stank you!

I'm sure there's more but, you get the gist...

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Shea butter. Ugh. And it doesn't help the the crap is in EVERYTHING. :nono:

alove15

Kinky Curly Custard I bought it a year and a half ago to use for wash and goes. Then I learned wash and goes were the devil on my hair. I've been trying to incorporate it into twist outs and braid outs but it always leaves my hair feeling stiff no matter what I pair it with.
Cheapie Conditioners Ugh! These turned me off cowashing the first time around. My scalp would feel all itchy and coated. I switched to giovanni cons for my cowashing and I've been loving it.
Using silicones/sulfates unless I'm flatironing
Plain Shea Butter Way too thick. Then I get some breakage just trying to spread it. It needs to mixed with some kind of moisture for me to use it.
HennaMessy and that color was not a good look on me.
Castor oil for sealing
Mini twists/braidsTedious to put in and take out. The shed hair also causes me to have big knots during the takeout process

MystiqueBabe

What didn't work for me:

Combing everyday - combs do nothing but eventually break my hair

Baggying - Woke up with limp, wet hair, just gross

Not shampooing - like another person mention just unhygenic, imo :ohwell:

Sticking to just "all-natural products" - expensive and they work just as good as unatural products

Being a PJ - too expensive and I have found a lot of my staples but the urge to try new things will probably never be cured

HE HH- used to work well for me but my hair met HE LTR condish and never looked back.This is one of a few hair product that didn't work for me, most hair products work for me thank goodness

As I am Coconut Cowash- didn't leave my hair moisturized like it promised on the package. Will defnitely need conditioning afterwards. Tried this stuff twice first time was good, because I had conditioned my hair before time, using it alone made my hair dry.:nono: Will not repurchase.

Weekly heat - Made my ends crispy and full of splits

Not trimming - see weekly heat. Hair barely retained length (never again)

Also forgot to add

ORS Olive Oil Hair Lotion - just awful left my hair greasy and breaking. it just felt nasty on my hair.

CoN Oil Moisturizer - same as ORS hair lotion, but I will use them for sealing I guess.:ohwell:

What works

Heavy sealing
Greasing my scalp 1-3x a week
Co-washing
Overnight DC
Silicones:yep:
Most Cheap conditioners
Most salon brands
Sulfur
Dandruff Shampoo
Sulfates
Finger combing
Rarely using heat
Frequent trims every 3-4 months

Last edited:

Course24

MaxiGlide: I used this for 3-4 years before I realized it the steam & heat was ruining the thickness of my hair. Went to a Chi 1" summer of 2010 and never looked back.

HE LTR & HH: This stuff is sticky and leaves a dingey coating on hair. Gave it away with quickness!

Biosilk Silk therapy conditioner & serum: Coated the hair doesn't absorb like Chi Silk infusion. Gave away

Neutrogena Triple Moisture Products: YUCK!

Salerm 21 Leave-in & Salerm Balsam Cond: Stank & made my hair brittle & coated it like powdered sugar icing.

Cantu & Aussie Products: It just sits on my hair.

Baba De Caracol & Miss Keys 10 in 1: had no conditioning or Moisturizing effect on hair after 3 tries. These are the only Dominican/Latin-type conditioners I've used yet to be that way on my hair. All the other I tried have worked. Using Silicon Mix

Amla Powder: makes my hair a dried tangled mess. I found I'm better off w/o it in my Cassia.

Sabino Moisture Block: It blocks alright. By pulling any moisture that WAS in your hair out,coating your hair, & too thick for human hair use to me. YICKY POO! Should be banned. Aveda Anti-humectant is better.

Chi Iron Guard: Leaves coating the hair and sticky hands while flat ironing. I use SE Olive Oil Spray

MTG oil & Wild Growth oil- these oils stanked of burnt tar & the sulfur granules made it difficult to work with in my hair. The wild Growth was too thick had no bounce & I saw NO wild growth at all. Using Coconut, Jojoba, & Avocado oils.

Sabastian Potion 9: My hair just "flat-out" hated it. Went to a majority of Dominican conditioners.

Silk Elements MegaSilk: Ehh. I found their Cholesterol was a better fit for me.

Last edited:

kinkycurlygurl

I eventually stopped using the following, but your mileage may vary:

• Shampoo-- too drying
  • Conditioner--left a temporary feel good coat then bam Sahara hair
  • Denman brushes--hair tearing menace
  • Boar Bristle brushes--way too rough
  • Shea butter--I always had to lighten it with other oils, but that stuff built up on my hair
  • Castor Oil--too heavy
  • Amla--left my hair clean, but dry and a little gritty
  • Miss Jessie's products--thank goodness for the unscented versions, over time the curly pudding dried out my hair
    • Shea Moisture Products--Sticky, build up
    • Jon Frieda Frizzease Line--dry, brittle hair
    • Curls Product line--dry, brittle hair
    • Deva Care Product line--crunchy, dry, brittle hair
    • Mini-twists--2 days to twist my hair and my hair was a tangled, matted mess when I took them down 5 weeks later which btw also took 2 days
    • long term hair styles
    • Allowing my hair to get tangled

Last edited:

msbettyboop

I’m hoping this will help someone natural because the experience was horrendous. If you are natural, please avoid this evil product by any means necessary – ORS Uplifting Shampoo!!! I have used plenty of shampoos since I went natural, some good, some bad. The bad ones I just use to wash combs and brushes and never use again but this one is so evil, I’m compelled to warn people about it. I did a dry DC using the patchouli85 method and when I rinsed it out, my curls were unbelievably soft and so beautiful and moisturised. Then I shampooed with this and my hair turned into burnt crackling grass, tangled with lots of SSKs. I added 5 different conditioners afterwards and it made no difference. I spent all of yesterday trying to detangle and only succeeded marginally. I gave up and threw my hair in a bun and now have a massive headache.

I know it might work for someone else but it’s my obligation as a seeker of soft moisturized curls to notify all naturals out there of this atrocity. Thank you!

And while I’m here, Denman pulled out my hair and TT gave me mid shaft splits!

Products That Worked

• Giovanni SAS shampoo and conditioner
  • Giovanni triple treat shampoo and conditioner
  • AO GPB
  • Lory's Shea butter conditioner mixed with honey and grapeseed oil
  • Lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol mixed wit hhoney and grapeseed oil
  • Coconut oil
  • Castor oil
  • Vatika coconut oil
  • Skala lissative and castor oil as a pre-poo
  • Lush Henna
  • Aphogee protein treatment
  • Skala avocado leave in - extreme softness! :yep:
  • CHI silk fusion and ecostyler heat protectant for straightening
  • Shea butter in general

Last edited:

hair4today

WEN Fig did not work for me :nono: This much beloved product caused shedding, shedding and more shedding, leading to tangling and breakage. Hair thinned out as a result.:sad:

melisandre

- aubrey organics shampoo: the shampoo had weird / gummy texture and just didn't work for my hair
- finger combing: resulted in knotting / matting at the roots
- denman brush: I was losing way too much hair with this
- shea butter: I can't use this as a moisturizer, but it works well for sealing