Updated review of LCL beauty / Salons R Us hair steamers.

curlytwirly06

So I know beside the Huetiful hair steamer, many of you have the hair steamers by LCL beauty. I just bought one and have it sitting here unopened in the box. I was wondering if I should return it and invest in the more expensive one or just return it and forget the whole endeavor. The one I have is the 80 dollar one. I was hoping if any of you who have had this steamer long term can tell me if you still like it and if it lasted / how long it lasted. Thank you.

For reference: http://lclbeauty.com/products.php?cat=9

Also I will be adding my review here as well if I decide to keep it.

MizzBFly

Return it, I had to return 2 because it either stopped working after the first use, timer didn't work or it or never worked, they ended up giving me the 140 unit as comp. I use that one faithfully. The company had just received that model and had not had too many reviews.this experience was period like 3-4 months ago. I have one still sitting here since I did not make it to the FedEx store by the Return date..smdh. That was the worst experience ever the unit doesn't even indicate when operable hey maybe you would have better luck, keep us updated

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I have the $140 one for about 3+ years now. I generally use it weekly. It's still going strong. Recently I noticed that the water wasn't draining out the drain line. I brought some pipe cleaners from Home Depot and cleaned out the drain and it's back to fully functional. A very good investment.

curlytwirly06

Return it, I had to return 2 because it either stopped working after the first use, timer didn't work or it or never worked, they ended up giving me the 140 unit as comp. I use that one faithfully. The company had just received that model and had not had too many reviews.this experience was period like 3-4 months ago. I have one still sitting here since I did not make it to the FedEx store by the Return date..smdh. That was the worst experience ever the unit doesn't even indicate when operable hey maybe you would have better luck, keep us updated

"The company had just received that model and had not had too many reviews."

Thank you for your response. Which model are you talking about here with the statement above?

BostonMaria

I had the $140 one and I ABSOLUTELY loved it! Used it almost every day for hours. Its very therapeutic. I decided that it would be a great idea to add an oil and .. womp... broke the damn thing LOL

So I bought the $79 one and boy did I regret it. Just didn't work the same as the $140 one and after a year of collecting dust in a corner I threw it away in the trash.

I highly recommend the $140 steamer. Its worth every penny.

Fine 4s

I have the $140 one for about 3+ years now. I generally use it weekly. It's still going strong. Recently I noticed that the water wasn't draining out the drain line. I brought some pipe cleaners from Home Depot and cleaned out the drain and it's back to fully functional. A very good investment.

curlicarib

Pipe cleaner? what does it look like and how did you use it?
I want to keep mine going strong because I noticed not a lot of water is coming out of the drain as well. Someone said something about cleaning it with ACV but I forgot how they did it and didn't write it down. Can anyone tell me?

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
@curlicarib

Pipe cleaner? what does it look like and how did you use it?
I want to keep mine going strong because I noticed not a lot of water is coming out of the drain as well. Someone said something about cleaning it with ACV but I forgot how they did it and didn't write it down. Can anyone tell me?

@Fine 4s, Here you are:

http://www.amazon.com/Bundles-Pipe-Cleaners-Hard-Bristle/dp/B000W5R6UA

Just run them up the drain a few times. I had to use two and bend them in half and twist them together to get the right circumference. A lot of white stuff came out. I then filled up the reservior a few times and run the water through it. It cleared the drain right out.

ETA: You can get them at Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, Kmart or any art craft supply store.

Fine 4s

Found the post with the vinegar:

IDareT'sHair

Re: 2014 Steaming in the Moisture

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fine 4s

Sometimes you can run white Vinegar through it and clean it out (if that's the problem).

And the water reservoir should never be completely filled to the brim.

When my stopped (after 4 years), it just wouldn't steam.

It was on running etc....but not making steam. I had to replace it.

It was LCL ProSeries 1037 (or something like that). I repurchased the same exact one.

my follow-up question 8/28/2014:

Put white vinegar where the water goes and let steam come out? Am I mixing water and vinegar or straight vinegar? How much vinegar do I put in the container?

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Found the post with the vinegar:

@IDareT'sHair

Re: 2014 Steaming in the Moisture

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Fine 4s

Sometimes you can run white Vinegar through it and clean it out (if that's the problem).

And the water reservoir should never be completely filled to the brim.

When my stopped (after 4 years), it just wouldn't steam.

It was on running etc....but not making steam. I had to replace it.

It was LCL ProSeries 1037 (or something like that). I repurchased the same exact one.

my follow-up question 8/28/2014:

Put white vinegar where the water goes and let steam come out? Am I mixing water and vinegar or straight vinegar? How much vinegar do I put in the container?

This would work on all the places that the steam travels, but I don't think it would help the clogged drain. The steam does not travel through the drain.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
This would work on all the places that the steam travels, but I don't think it would help the clogged drain. The steam does not travel through the drain.

curlicarib

Makes a lot of sense about the Pipe Cleaners. I'll keep that in mind.:yep:

Wondering if Pipe Cleaners would have fixed my last one?:scratchch

*Great Tip thanks*:up:

RainyDaze

I personally would return it. I have the $80 one. It was $100 when I purchased it. It is currently collecting dust. It seemed to work fine when I first bought it, but after a few months, the steam would get extremely hot that my scalp would be sore. I couldn't use it without wearing a plastic cap. I had cleaned it with white vinegar and only used bottled water.

curlytwirly06

I personally would return it. I have the $80 one. It was $100 when I purchased it. It is currently collecting dust. It seemed to work fine when I first bought it, but after a few months, the steam would get extremely hot that my scalp would be sore. I couldn't use it without wearing a plastic cap. I had cleaned it with white vinegar and only used bottled water.

All if this is seriously depressing me. They want me to pay return shipping which is like 35$.... That's half the price i paid for it in shipping

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I had the $80 one and it lasted 1.5 yrs. I knocked it over at least 10 times, so the malfunction was completely user error. :lol: I have the $140 now because I had the funds at the time of replacement.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I need to do some research on myself. I don't know which one I have. I'm rough on stuff too. Ain't never cleaned it :look:, it's sat for awhile too, also sometimes I don't dump the water in the cup until I get ready to use it again. Still no problems whatsoever. I wanted to be able to use plain ole tap water. Does that mean I have the $80 one?

Since you have it just use it and save up for the $140 one.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Okay in doing some research :giggle:, I got my LCL in March 2012. So next month that will be 2.5 years. I looked at the picture. I have the $80 one but mine only runs for 30 minutes.

Last edited:

curlytwirly06

Okay in doing some research :giggle:, I got my LCL in March 2012. So next month that will be 2.5 years. I looked at the picture. I have the $80 one but mine only runs for 30 minutes.

So the one I bought is a different model??? Is that maybe a good thing?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I have the $80 one, and have had it since 2011. Still working as well as the day I got it and I've consistently used it at least once a week. I cleaned it with vinegar once like two years ago and am always forgetting to empty out the water when I'm finished using it. And despite that neglect, it's still truckin. :yep:

Never had the $140 one, so I can't compare.

gorgeoushair

I have the $80 one, and have had it since 2011. Still working as well as the day I got it and I've consistently used it at least once a week. I cleaned it with vinegar once like two years ago and am always forgetting to empty out the water when I'm finished using it. And despite that neglect, it's still truckin. :yep:

Never had the $140 one, so I can't compare.

Do they not sale this one anymore?