Whats Your Wig Regimen?.....

EnExitStageLeft

Ok, ladies. I'm transitioning and was starting to get the BC itch. However, I was looking at older pics of my hair and decided I need to ride this out. I want my length back (MBL or longer).

SO.......I bought a half wig :happydance:. Its Tammy by Outre. Its seems to be the go to on Youtube, so I picked it up.

I have my wig caps, my wig conditioning spray, my hair vitamins and I'm ordering a scalp oil today.

However, I wanted insight from the experts.

My Questions:

Whats your Post-Wig/weave wash routine?

Whats your braid pattern? Scalp or Celies?
If your rocking the celies, let me know how you pin them to make your wig lay flat (I can't scalp braid to save my life :nono:.

How long do you wig at a time?

What HALF wigs would you recommend?

Whats your fav scalp oil (if any)?

I'm also open to any additional info you ladies are willing to spare. Thanks Guys:).

Rozlewis

EnExitStageLeft

Thanks for posting this. I purchased a human hair half-wig from Eloquenthair.com and the wig is fabulous. However, I have not worn it (outside of my house) yet because I have never been a person to wear wigs. I am ready to give my hair a break and think I will be wearing them this year. Thanks again.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I wash my hair once a week or if I am feeling lazy every 2 weeks. I undo each braid, detangle and then put my hair in 4 sections to wash. I use Keracare detangling shampoo and Keracare Humecto conditioner

Braid pattern-celies. The more the better/flatter my wig looks

I wig for up to 2 months and then I wear my hair oit for 2 weeks (Dominican blowout)

Tammy and Roxy by outre are very pretty, but there are a ton of good ones. I shop at hairsisters.com or my local bss

I really don't like to oil my scalp at all, but when I do I use evoo or jbco

Eta I don't pin my celies, I just cross wrap them under a wig cap. Oh and I moisturize as needed with aloe vera juice and glycerin

trclemons

My Questions:

Whats your Post-Wig/weave wash routine? I wash every 2 weeks beginning with an overnight pre-poo of water and oil, followed by a sulfate-free shampoo, a co-wash, a reconstructor treatment, an ACV rinse, a moisturizing conditioner & the LOC method.

Whats your braid pattern? Scalp or Celies? If your rocking the celies, let me know how you pin them to make your wig lay flat (I can't scalp braid to save my life. I braid my hair in a beehive pattern.

How long do you wig at a time? I wig Sunday - Friday and wear a scarf on Saturdays. I spritz my hair every night with a liquid leave-in & baggy. Each morning, I apply a creamy leave-in and coat my edges with JBCO/HBCO & a butter.

What HALF wigs would you recommend? Sorry, I use full wigs.

Whats your fav scalp oil (if any)?I tend to use light oils on my scalp and I prefer any of the Keravada Oils.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Cowash/Co-Cleanse twice a week and DC/Steam.

I do Coffee and/or Tea Rinses during wash days.

Braid hair(celie's) and pin. I use a Wig Cap (right now I'm using the netted one(s) Fall/Winter maybe the full one).

Wearing a Full Wig (not a half wig).

Moisturize & Seal in the a.m. and in the evening before bed.

CarefreeinChicago

The swig cap is the truth! I buy a new wig once a month for 36 and pay my god daughter 20 bucks for her to braid my hair in the circle pattern. And if I can't get ahold of her I have my mom give me some celie's. I spray my hair with African pride braid spray 2 times a day I wash and steam once a week.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
The swig cap is the truth! I buy a new wig once a month for 36 and pay my god daughter 20 bucks for her to braid my hair in the circle pattern. And if I can't get ahold of her I have my mom give me some celie's. I spray my hair with African pride braid spray 2 times a day I wash and steam once a week.

Once a month?! Good lawd that's a lot of money!

pre_medicalrulz

It's only $36 bucks for a human hair bump wig and I like the fresh :lachen: that's a whole lot cheaper than a weave.

But if it's human, why do you need a new one every month? My wigs last 2 years or more and they remain in nice conditions. Man, that's a lot of money but I guess if you got it, spend it. :)

MGA2013

I love my wigs. I'm buying my 3rd wig next month.

My wig regimen:

I wash once weekly, where I pre poo, shampoo, DC with steam, tea rinse, condition and then ACV rinse.

I only air dry my hair.

I moisturize and seal using the LCO method

I then braid into 4 plaits (I am no Braider lol).

I slap a wig cap on and don't touch my hair again for another week

I've seen more retention with wigging because I have no leave-outs, there is minimum hair manipulation with my real hair.

More importantly, STEAMING is my boo. My hair has seen major improvements!

Evolving78

this is what i am doing. i put my hair in cornrows going back and plan to wear them for a month. i like full wigs too, not half. i spray my hair once or twice a day and use an oil of African pride and jbco mixed. every few days. i plan on using a latherless shampoo to clean my scalp, or i may wash once a week. i wear a scarf at home, or a hat when i don't feel like putting that thing on and just want to make a run. i use those satin stretchy wave caps under the wig.

i got two wigs so far. i have short tampered wigs. i got a small head and face. other wigs look like too much hair on me. i need to get another wig stand. i got some conditioning spray. i like the one from Remi. i have used that in the past and they really bring wigs back to life. i got a razor comb to to thin out one of them.

i plan on doing this for the rest of the year. i'm not transitioning, but just giving my hair a much needed styling break. i plan on relaxing 10-14 weeks.

Evolving78

But if it's human, why do you need a new one every month? My wigs last 2 years or more and they remain in nice conditions. Man, that's a lot of money but I guess if you got it, spend it. :)

how do you care for your wigs? i don't have a lot of good options to choose from. i have two human hair wigs. i wish i could find a nice bob wig for a little head, small face.

pre_medicalrulz

how do you care for your wigs? i don't have a lot of good options to choose from. i have two human hair wigs. i wish i could find a nice bob wig for a little head, small face.

I don't take care of them at all but because its human hair it bounces back with a good deep conditioning. Lol

OP, I don't do much but its very similar to prettymetty. I cosign Everything she said. :grin:

Mmfood

i two strand twist on dry hair after thoroughly detangling with fingers only. I moisturize and seal then baggy the ends and put on a full wig for daytime. Then at night i just take off the cap and wig. On wash day i only wash the scalp with a color applicator bottle then apply dc and leave my hot head on for about 45 minutes. rinse in cool water, moisturize and seal baggy the ends and so forth. I take the twists down when i have the time or feel like retwisting.

Basically my hair is always twisted my ends are always moisturized and i throw on a full cap wig for public appearances.

naturalmanenyc

EnExitStageLeft

I haven't used wigs in a while but I still have a decent collection of human and synthetic wigs. I did sell some of those pictured.

Some of my wigs:

I either wore single braids or flat twists under my wigs because I can't really cornrow. When my hair was shorter, I wore it in a wet bun under my wig. I did attempt to cornrow (an hour to do 6-7) and I eventually gave up. I used a silk wig cap for a long while but it was too hot in the summer. I started to use knee highs for a while (saw Youtubers using them) but they have to be stretched a bit or you will get headaches.

It's a silk beanie (I bought both size for me and DH) from here: http://www.prettyanntoinets.com/beanies/silk-beanie-black/

I bobby pin on my wigs. I usually don't use the combs that are in the wigs since they seemed to snag my hair.

I used store bought braid sprays daily and some homemade mixes to keep my hair moisturized. I washed weekly and tried a new braid pattern in front for my leave out if I was using half wigs.

I think this was my first lace wig, synthetic: Modu invisilace 101

This is a human hair lace front

La Jay (after cutting) with minimal leave out.

more photos and details are here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/la-jay-express-weave-half-wig/

Freetress Bali Girl

Beshe Shelly (I have 2, I cut one)

Some tips and tricks are on my blog here:
http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/wearing-wigs-tips-tricks/

Aisha by Outre - half wig

details are here: http://goingnaturaltransitionington...r-transitioning-from-relaxed-to-natural-hair/

Rozlewis
It took me a long time to wear a wig outside of the house too. Don't let wigs intimidate you. I have a blog post about this here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/do-wigs-intimidate-you/ Once I got past it, I went crazy with trying and buying different wigs. I was into weave for years, sew-ins and fusion, but wigs are so much easier and far cheaper.

I never wore the same wig for more than a week at a time. One week, around the time we had a new manager starting at work, he commented that my hair looked nice that day, it looked nice the day prior and he knew it would look nice tomorrow. lol I had worn 3 different styles in that same week, including a wig with highlights. I got to the point of not caring that people knew I was wearing wigs.

La Efrah is a great curly style.

More photos are here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/vanessa-wig-la-efrah-express-weave/

First Lady whole lace

Burmese curly

A video of my Burmese curly glueless silk top lace wig is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HNSMoP9Hvk

Mommy wig (human hair)

details are here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/mommy-wig-janet-collection/

It's a cap weave Afro curl human hair wig

details are here:

La Aleka by Vanessa

details: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/la-aleka-express-weave-by-vanessa/

I've been in Havana twists since last fall but I may go back to wigs for 2015.

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

shortdub78

Thanks. I tried to find something that can mimic my blow dried hair. I frickin' love it. Me and her are going to be besties for the next 3-5 months. I may even invest in a wig from Eloquenthair.

Rozlewis can you give me a mini review?

Quality?
Handling Time?
Color match? I heard they're 1b is similar to a 2.
And any other info you cna spare :)