Let's Talk Braid Shops....

Should Certification Be Required for Braiding Salons?

• Yes!

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • No, I don't see the point.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Other...let me explain...

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

B3e

You wouldn't enter a salon or even think to open a respectable salon without certified cosmetologists. So why is it so easy to walk into a braiding shop and not require the same level of hair-ducation?

I certainly believe the number of braiding institutes (correct me if I'm wrong) is lacking for this to be commonplace, but do you think there is a large enough braid market to expect more such institutes and therefore more stringent qualifications for hair braiding shops?

Just curious ladies.....After all, I braid in my spare time so I'm definitely not knocking any do it DIYers, just wondering why there aren't more braiding institutes. There's something wrong about knowing that any old person can start a braiding salon. Maybe that's how all salons work and I'm just naive.

But wouldn't it be nice to walk into a shop not expecting to have your every last hair yanked out? To walk in knowing that the person braiding you understands that stress around the perimeter is a no-no....etc. God forbid there was a healthy braid shop! :grin:

I'd be interested in metrics quantifying just how big the market is for braids...one of my old profs believes the market isn't big enough to even pursue starting such institutes...I beg to differ, but since I don't have proof...I'm left silent.

HairGroupie

I voted yes! I feel very strong about this one because I am currently going through a setback and battling hair loss due to a braider who braided my hair too tight. I took my hair down after a week because I was in pain and a few days later a huge patch of hair in my crown (the area that was the tightest) fell out to less than 1/2 inch. My natural hair has always been thick and nice so it was devastating to go through this while the braider gets away with a "sorry" because she wasn't licensed in the first place.

One of my best friends worked at a braid shop and none of them were certified. I was always shocked at how rough they were with their techniques and how hard they pulled some of the customer's hair. I will NEVER let someone else braid my hair again. There is just not enough widespread awareness or regulations put in place that teach the correct ways to braid.

Lynnerie

Sounds like a good idea but as we know, just because a place is certified doesn't mean that you can't get your hair pulled out. Sad to say it but there are plenty of certified salons that still don't practice the correct techniques.

As a matter of fact my ex stylist was certified and she braided so tight I had to take headache medicine.

B3e

It is my dream to start an institute that fosters healthy practices and graduates intelligent braiders so the landscape can take a turn for the better. As an African I HATE hearing..."the Africans" as a general term to describe a braid shop that jacked up someone's hair. It's so degrading. I would hate for braids to become extinct as good hair practices become more accessible all because of some bad braiders. It's such a beautiful art. :(

You're right Lynnerie, I suppose in a perfect world....the BBB of braid shops would help people distinguish the bad from the good.

QBOE2001

Maybe we as customers just need to become more vocal about our experiences at particular shops and be more diligent about not patronizing salons that don't live up to our standards for healthy hair care. I know that the lovely ladies of LHCF are more vocal that others, perhaps we just need a comprehensive online database with objective measurement criteria that perspective clients could use to help them narrow their search for braiders or provide reviews by both shop and stylist for others to use. If we can change the expectations of the typical client through education, and they support those expectations with their dollars / patronage choices then I do believe more salons will change their practices accordingly irrespective of whether certification becomes a requirement or not. Just my two cents....sorry to ramble so much.

jazzerz

I'm so glad someone brought this up. (I can't thank on my phone.) I want to get my hair braided but I'm afraid of that fine tooth comb that braiders seem to love. Anyone have any recommendations for the Houston area? Heck, anyone on here in Houston braid natural/transitioning hair?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF app

faithVA

I think here in VA you do have to be licensed just as a cosmetologists. It doesn't require as many hours but you do have to have a license. (they may not call it license but you have to go through the same board as the cosmetologists do).

B3e

I like that VA requires a license, didn't know that. But I wish cosmetologists spent more time on braiding or at least braiders had more schools catering to their handicraft.

QBOE2001 You're so right, changing our own manner of communicating may be the first step. If LHCF members were active Yelp members, I'm sure we'd save a lot of heads. I wrote my first braid shop review and felt a relief, that even though I didn't find reviews before I sought one out, maybe I would help someone else make the decision.

Yelp.com

Cute Video: Yelp In A Nutshell...(I replaced doctor's office with braid shop...:grin:)

If you can enter a local establishment, they probably have a page for it for you to review, so not just braid shops or other local restaurants and shopping!! :D It's really amazing, I'm becoming more addicted by the day!

Your Cheeziness

I think TX requires it, because the braiders at the shop I go to have them. But certifications still don't guarantee your hair will be treated properly.

My Friend

A large part of the problem is most people don't DEMAND healthy hair practices. Let the stylist know what you are paying for and what you want. If she can't deliver let her/him know you are taking your business elsewhere.

I too was guilty of letting them do what they plezed and hated every minute of it. I paid her every two weeks to wait all day, have my scalp burned by relaxers, have a small tooth comb detangle my hair from root to end (ouch), hear it sizzling from marcels that were 1000 degrees :blush:, all that and more and before I left I booked another appointment :nono:

As a bw I say no. It would just prevent women from doing this self taught trade legally. Only state agencies would benefit. As long as no chemicals are used, I don't see why it is necessary.

Solitude

I just saw a special about this. A group has successfully overturned laws in 7 states that were trying to require braiders to get cosmetology licenses. I was happy to hear this because as long as they are not cutting hair or applying chemicals, they don't need one.

Texas requires a braiding certification (for unlicensed cosmetologists) now to work in a braiding shop, but I think it's unnecessary. Of course, I don't really patronize braiding shops. I used to, though.

B3e

mzteaze thank you for the article. It was very thought provoking. Made me realize that it's not so much stringent certification processes that I am hoping for so much as more conscious braiders. But as ladies before have mentioned, we have to be vocal consumers.

Though no one can be forced to go to braiding school, it is an art after all, it would be nice to see more braiding classes that people can take advantage of...and not just DVDs. Because I think there's something comforting in knowing that the woman(or man) braiding my hair has taken a particular course for their own professional development and for the sake of their clients, not by force but out of a desire to be better braiders.

The laws currently in place are truly very lopsided. Maybe it's because they are made by people who would never require such a service but happen to have the power to put forth requirements. It doesn't take a genius to see that a cosmetology license has little to do with braiding. But requiring 1Khrs of god knows what is equally preposterous.

Though complicated, I do think it's a topic that hasn't been exhausted. The numerous cases of alopecia caused by poor braiding practices can be avoided surely. :perplexed

To me it's not so much a desire to put down braiders, but to require more accountability, maybe of myself in addition to my braider. It's not fair to lower expectations when there are such fabulous braiders out there being outshone by poor braiding practices. Just not sure what can be done.

Last edited:

SimJam

I guess Ive never been to a braid shop ... aren't they regular salons where you can get other services done (that's what I know of)

like do they ONLY braid (no wash, blow out, etc) you come with everything already done and your hair ready for the braids ?

cutiebe2

No need. All they do is braid your hair, you come with your hair ready to be braided and they install the braids. I have gone to braiders for years and if it is too tight, I say so.

I remember the conversation about certifications and I think that involves a lot of money and training for something that many have been doing for years. At least in NYC, 95% of the braiders are African immigrants, people go to them for their skills that they are known for. Its also obvious that not each one considers themselves a "stylist", they are using the skills they have to make money. I think requiring certification will change the market complete.

SimJam

Oh OK thanks for the clarification.

Still think they could at least have a health certificate or something. I mean they are using tools and putting their hands all up in your scalp. And the establishment should at least be sanitary.

Just like a food establishment that requires at least health cert and a food handlers permit ... but not a degree in culinary arts.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using LHCF .... plz excuse the occasional crap typos :)

Last edited: