Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

Pompous Blue

When are y'all doing the method? At night? How do you fit in the 7 day cycle?
@Wildchild453

I've completed the 7 days (Wed - Tues.) I did not skip a day, step or substitute products. I got tired on Day 5 but worked through it.

From the top of my ears to my nape, I'm about 60-70% hydrated. I have defined curls. The area somewhat moves without product. With product, I have swang. The rest of my hair is about 50% hydrated. Even my wack-patch is somewhat defined. Can't wait for this area to get to 70%. Detangling is a breeze and quick and I didn't use a comb those 7 days, either. (Still not using a comb.)

Also, to shorten things up, I use my steamer for Step 2. And keep Steps 1 - 3 to a minimum of 15 minutes and a max of 30 minutes.

Also, I didn't have to purchase anything (I'm such a PJ.) That's why it was so easy to try. If I had to go out and purchase anything, I don't think I would have tried the method.

I will continue to use this method; glad I came upon this thread.

My only regret??!! Wish this knowledge was available when I BC'd.

faithVA

@Wildchild453

I've completed the 7 days (Wed - Tues.) I did not skip a day, step or substitute products. I got tired on Day 5 but worked through it.

From the top of my ears to my nape, I'm about 60-70% hydrated. I have defined curls. The area somewhat moves without product. With product, I have swang. The rest of my hair is about 50% hydrated. Even my wack-patch is somewhat defined. Can't wait for this area to get to 70%. Detangling is a breeze and quick and I didn't use a comb those 7 days, either. (Still not using a comb.)

Also, to shorten things up, I use my steamer for Step 2. And keep Steps 1 - 3 to a minimum of 15 minutes and a max of 30 minutes.

Also, I didn't have to purchase anything (I'm such a PJ.) That's why it was so easy to try. If I had to go out and purchase anything, I don't think I would have tried the method.

I will continue to use this method; glad I came upon this thread.

This is my regret as well. It would have eliminated months of struggle.

SimJam

From the top of my ears to my nape, I'm about 60-70% hydrated. I .

I noticed this with my hair also !!!! For me its my nape to the bottom of my ears ... Im feeling the clumping start from the roots which is one of the things pinkecube says you're to look for to estimate level of hydration

Trust me ... aint this the truth :yep:

SunRai Naturals

Do you all think that this method will make it easier to retain length outside of protective styling?

Are you still able to wear your hair puffy (if you choose to) when it dries or is the volume go down for good?

CocoGlow

Although I stated earlier that I want to do the modified method that DanaBNatural on Youtube uses because it seems less time consuming .. after reading more of the MHM thread on the Black Hair Media forum, I will just suck it up and do the original method ... I don't want to waste time, money & products by taking short cuts that could possibly inhibit my hair from reaching maximum hydration

I wish there were more inexpensive products on the market that were MHM friendly but after researching ingredients for hours, there are only a select few out there ... I have Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner ($3.99 for 16oz) which is MHM approved and has very nice slip but since it does contain Soybean Protein, I don't want to cause protein overload so I'm scared to use it each time and for each step that includes conditioner ... I need to order Kinky Curly Knot Today to compare but I HATE how costly it is for such a small bottle ($12 for 8oz)

The formula for the TRESemme Naturals Radiant Volume that so many love has changed recently with more drying ingredients so I don't want to even try it - but it is a great deal ($4 for 25oz) :sad: - Other cheap conditioners like VO5 & Suave Naturals have drying/coating ingredients too - but they are so cost effective ($.75-$3 for 15-22oz)

Don't even get me started on the MHM approved Botanical Gels!! Kinky Curly Curling Custard is awesome but so expensive ($17 for 8oz/$30 for 16oz) ... other approved gels are slightly less exspensive ... I want to make my own soon to either replace or stretch out the KCCC

The Aztec Healing Bentonite Clay does not seem too expensive for the amount you get ($4.99-$5.99 per lb/$10.50 for 2lbs) ... there are also some websites that sell Bentonite Clay in bulk for great prices

This method has so much promise but you end up using a lot of conditioner and gel over time and I really hope that those companies that make large bottles of conditioner for low prices like TRESemme, Suave & VO5 start making some MHM friendly ones ... most of them are Curly Girl Method friendly already but they contain too many drying/coating ingredients for Low Porosity hair

I know that Pinkecube (the creator of MHM) stated she wants to create a product line specifically for this method - I just hope her products are larger, more effective, and more wallet friendly than Kinky Curly - we need options :yep:

faithVA

Although I stated earlier that I want to do the modified method that DanaBNatural on Youtube uses because it seems less time consuming .. after reading more of the MHM thread on the Black Hair Media forum, I will just suck it up and do the original method ... I don't want to waste time, money & products by taking short cuts that could possibly inhibit my hair from reaching maximum hydration

I wish there were more inexpensive products on the market that were MHM friendly but after researching ingredients for hours, there are only a select few out there ... I have Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner ($3.99 for 16oz) which is MHM approved and has very nice slip but since it does contain Soybean Protein, I don't want to cause protein overload so I'm scared to use it each time and for each step that includes conditioner ... I need to order Kinky Curly Knot Today to compare but I HATE how costly it is for such a small bottle ($12 for 8oz)

If you use the Trader Joes for the first steps and leave the KKNT for the leave in you will be able to make the kknt last for 1 to 2 months depending on how much you dilute it and how often you wash your hair. Then just focus on getting it on sale. Walgreens often has it 20% off. You can stock up then. Also realize that the more hydrated your hair the less product you use. Overtime it really isn't going to cost you that much for the conditioner.

Don't even get me started on the MHM approved Botanical Gels!! Kinky Curly Curling Custard is awesome but so expensive ($17 for 8oz/$30 for 16oz) ... other approved gels are slightly less exspensive ... I want to make my own soon to either replace or stretch out the KCCC

I dilute my KCCC but you will also use less gel as you hydrate. And you can always make your own flax gel. And if you are wearing protective styles you don't have to use gel. I use the CR Almond Jai which is larger.

I don't know your budget but I really don't think you use up a lot of conditioner using this method after you get past the first 7 day stint. Dilute your products and start shopping sales and I think you can make it work for you.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker

The formula for the TRESemme Naturals Radiant Volume that so many love has changed recently with more drying ingredients so I don't want to even try it - but it is a great deal ($4 for 25oz) :sad: - Other cheap conditioners like VO5 & Suave Naturals have drying/coating ingredients too - but they are so cost effective ($.75-$3 for 15-22oz)

I'm currently using the Trader Joe's. So far so good. I don't believe I'm particularly protein sensitive though. You can find the old formula of Radiant Volume on Walgreen's website. I ordered it for when I run of Trader Joe's. It goes out of stock quickly though. People have been stocking up. LOL

As for gel...don't know what to tell you. I'm going to dilute my KCCC. I think I can get away with less. Otherwise I'll be making flax seed gel again. I can get some of the others on the ground here but they are still relatively expensive.

faithVA

Do you all think that this method will make it easier to retain length outside of protective styling?

Are you still able to wear your hair puffy (if you choose to) when it dries or is the volume go down for good?

I don't get as many SSKs so I don't have to trim as much. Detangling is also easier so I'm not as rough on my hair.

You can still wear your hair any way you want. It doesn't have to be a WNG.

Once your hair is as hydrated as you want I am sure you can do things to keep the volume: twist outs; styling while damp; combing out the curls, etc.

And if your hair is long, the shrinkage is going to give you volume.

faithVA

how do you dilute KCCC though ?

Just add water. It just depends on how much you want to dilute it. I put 2 tbsp in a small 2 oz container and add water until it is almost full and shake. I test the slip and if it needs more slip I add just a bit more kccc. But usually it is fine.

CocoGlow

If you use the Trader Joes for the first steps and leave the KKNT for the leave in you will be able to make the kknt last for 1 to 2 months depending on how much you dilute it and how often you wash your hair. Then just focus on getting it on sale. Walgreens often has it 20% off. You can stock up then. Also realize that the more hydrated your hair the less product you use. Overtime it really isn't going to cost you that much for the conditioner.

I dilute my KCCC but you will also use less gel as you hydrate. And you can always make your own flax gel. And if you are wearing protective styles you don't have to use gel. I use the CR Almond Jai which is larger.

I don't know your budget but I really don't think you use up a lot of conditioner using this method after you get past the first 7 day stint. Dilute your products and start shopping sales and I think you can make it work for you.

Thanks! I was actually thinking about just using the TJ's TTT for steps 1 & 2 and then using KCKT for step 4 ... but I was wondering if anyone felt the Soybean Protein was too much to use so often? I guess it may be different for everybody but I didn't want to cause a setback .. I want a Protein-Free MHM approved conditioner that is large & cheap like TRESemme/Suave/VO5 to alternate with the TJ's TTT ... I guess in the meantime I will switch between TJ's TTT & KCKT for steps 1 & 2 - then just use KCKT for step 4 ...all diluted

As for not needing to use Gel if wearing protective styles ... Pinkecube stated in the BHM thread that you would still use the gel to lock in your moisture with a little oil beforehand (optional) then twist/braid, etc on damp hair as usual for a protective style ... she reasoned that using butters would cause too much buildup and would not lock in the moisture as long as the gel would ... so LCOG (Water + Conditioner + Oil + Gel) if I recall correctly

I agree that after a while of figuring out the proper dilution ratios and even making your own gel etc, this should not be an expensive regimen at all .. so I am hopeful :yep:

faithVA

Thanks! I was actually thinking about just using the TJ's TTT for steps 1 & 2 and then using KCKT for step 4 ... but I was wondering if anyone felt the Soybean Protein was too much to use so often? I guess it may be different for everybody but I didn't want to cause a setback .. I want a Protein-Free MHM approved conditioner that is large & cheap like TRESemme/Suave/VO5 to alternate with the TJ's TTT ... I guess in the meantime I will switch between TJ's TTT & KCKT for steps 1 & 2 - then just use KCKT for step 4 ...all diluted

As for not needing to use Gel if wearing protective styles ... Pinkecube stated in the BHM thread that you would still use the gel to lock in your moisture with a little oil beforehand (optional) then twist/braid, etc on damp hair as usual for a protective style ... she reasoned that using butters would cause too much buildup and would not lock in the moisture as long as the gel would ... so LCOG (Water + Conditioner + Oil + Gel) if I recall correctly

I agree that after a while of figuring out the proper dilution ratios and even making your own gel etc, this should not be an expensive regimen at all .. so I am hopeful :yep:

She did say that the gel worked best but she didn't say that you couldn't use anything else. In other pages of the thread others were sealing in their moisture in various ways.

I haven't had any additional build up with the Almond Jai. And the list of approved products is growing. I do think there are at least 1 or 2 curling creams on the list.

I use the gel when I'm going to wear a twist out but I don't use it when I wear flat twist. By day three my hair feels the same with the gel as it does with the CR creme.

You will figure out what works for you.

juliehp

Why not lengthen/mix Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle with Tresemme, Suave, or V05 those of you that are protein sensitive?

SpiritJunkie

When are y'all doing the method? At night? How do you fit in the 7 day cycle?

i started on Saturday so the 1st 2 days in the day time and the others after work. Once you start it, its not as bad as it reads. I felt the same way when I first read it. Too long but it's worth it.

LaBelleLL

So I'm going to try this as I have some time off. With this method it seems like your hair is perpetually wet. Is this the case?

xomonaijax

I am liking what I see. Once I use up all my products and my braids come down, I can start this. Well done to the ladies who experiencing good results.

CocoGlow

So I'm going to try this as I have some time off. With this method it seems like your hair is perpetually wet. Is this the case?

From what I've read your hair is not wet all the time but it may take a while to air-dry ... some people use Blow Dryers with the Diffuser on COOL ... some soak up the excess with t-shirts for a while, etc

It seems like the hair will be wet-damp during the first week b/c you are supposed to complete the routine for 7 days straight ... but once you move on to the routine of doing it every 3 days, etc, your hair should only be wet the first day

Honey Bee

i started on Saturday so the 1st 2 days in the day time and the others after work. Once you start it, its not as bad as it reads. I felt the same way when I first read it. Too long but it's worth it.
It really isn't as long as people think. Steps 4 and 5 are leave-in and gel, so that shouldn't even really count as part of the process. My transitioning wash day reggie is a whole lot longer than three steps, lol, including but not limited to: picking which of 27 dc's I want/ need to use, which of 8 shampoos, etc, prepoo, poo/cw, protein treatment/ henna, dc. Not counting leave-in's, styling products, the actual styling. :rolleyes: :yawn:

This regimen is pared down in comparison. :lol:

Honey Bee

I agree, you don't use a lot of conditioner. I've had this same bottle of KCKT for months, using it as my main moisturizer and now using it for this. I don't use it for the dc step, though, still trynna use up old stuff (I have a long way to go). I was able to dilute it quite a bit, wish I had realized that when I first got it.

re: gel. From the BHM thread, I got the impression that Pinke Cube recommends gel over everything else, but people kept pushing to add oil and butters and what not so she slightly relented. I don't think she ever changed her mind though. She ain't using oil. :look: Not being natural, I don't really have a dog in this fight yet. I just find it so odd that people who are in outright awe of her method and her personal progress work so hard to change the reggie. :lol: Like, if oil worked, your hair wouldn't have been dry all this time, right? :lol:

I don't even use gel. I'm a serum-user. But for this, I gave it a shot and, tbh, I'm transitioning, so it's not even necessary to my styling process. (I will say that my t-o was very defined, though.) But when I finally give my final review of the method, I can't be mad when it doesn't work cuz I insisted on doing it my way.

faithVA

^^Fortunately msdeekay's max hydration method site contains approved products for both gel and creams. So at least there are options. And as time goes on I think the list will continue to grow.

AJellyCake

Day 5 I think for me. Even though my hair is still dry/not optimally moisturized, it is slowly getting better and my hair is clumping much better, especially when my hair is wet and product-free. My hair's manageability is continuing to improve, and I'm noticing less shedding/breakage at the end of my shower.

I agree with those who say the regimen isn't that time intensive (at least not more than my reggie before). I spend less time in my hair, especially because it is easier to get through it. I think I just spend a lot of time sitting around with product in my hair. For the past few days I've been doing the ACV at night for 30 minutes-1 hour, then DCing overnight and clay rinsing in the morning. Unfortunately this is keeping me from getting in my morning work out! :nono:

I do think the product dilution is a great aspect that makes the regimen less expensive. So I will keep diluting!

I think the hardest part for me has been figuring out the measurements especially for the clay. The recipes on the site are designed for much shorter hair, and since mine is somewhere around 20-22 inches long and very dense, the recipes don't cut it. Lol, don't get me wrong: it's a nice problem to have! But on the site she mentions seriously coating the hair with the clay, and for me I think that would be like 3-4 cups of clay per application. :spinning: I also think I might be using too much KCCC because I'm heavy handed and used to other gels.

So, faithVA, please keep me in the loop with your clay experiments! Especially because my hair is beautiful, moisturized, and frizzless before the clay step, and then afterwards it seems dryer and kind of squeaky clean. This might be because my clay measurements are off. I also might try to get my hands on some rhassoul, which is said to be more moisturizing than bentonite.

Last edited:

faithVA

Day 5 I think for me. Even though my hair is still dry/not optimally moisturized, it is slowly getting better and my hair is clumping much better, especially when my hair is wet and product-free. My hair's manageability is continuing to improve, and I'm noticing less shedding/breakage at the end of my shower.

I agree with those who say the regimen isn't that time intensive (at least not more than my reggie before). I spend less time in my hair, especially because it is easier to get through it. I think I just spend a lot of time sitting around with product in my hair. For the past few days I've been doing the ACV at night for 30 minutes-1 hour, then DCing overnight and clay rinsing in the morning. Unfortunately this is keeping me from getting in my morning work out! :nono:

I do think the product dilution is a great aspect that makes the regimen less expensive. So I will keep diluting!

I think the hardest part for me has been figuring out the measurements especially for the clay. The recipes on the site are designed for much shorter hair, and since mine is somewhere around 20-22 inches long and very dense, the recipes don't cut it. Lol, don't get me wrong: it's a nice problem to have! But on the site she mentions seriously coating the hair with the clay, and for me I think that would be like 3-4 cups of clay per application. :spinning: I also think I might be using too much KCCC because I'm heavy handed and used to other gels.

So, faithVA, please keep me in the loop with your clay experiments! Especially because my hair is beautiful, moisturized, and frizzless before the clay step, and then afterwards it seems dryer and kind of squeaky clean. This might be because my clay measurements are off. I also might try to get my hands on some rhassoul, which is said to be more moisturizing than bentonite.

I will. Perhaps I need to try rhassoul as well. I've tried green and red.

What measurements are you using now. Maybe you can just create according to the recipe and just make it twice and put it in two different containers. Even with long thick hair I can't imagine you would need more than 2 cups. I only make a quarter cup and it lasts me two washes. One cup last me a month.

ryanshope

I have done it 4x in a week and I love it. I get a lot of ssk on my right side. Hoping this will correct it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 98

Honey Bee

I wonder if you're supposed to use the whole amount each time. I use a few teaspoons of clay/ treatment and my hair is almost apl, half natural/ half relaxed.

Bentonite vs rhassoul, My mother (fine, thin 4c) and I (med, med, 3c/4abc :spinning:) have found that we both prefer bentonite. The consistency was better and so were the results. My hair always feels a little stripped after rhassoul and I've used it for short amounts of time, long amounts of time, mixed with bentonite, mixed with slippery elm bark... nothing helped. I have a pound of it. :ohwell: I'ma use it for face masks. I told SO I'd do one for him next time he shaves. :lol:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Day 3 is tonight. I need to make more clay and ACV rinse.

Since this is a 3 day weekend I will def be able to do the MHM 3days in a row.

CocoGlow

What's an alternative leave in besides that expensive knot today?

You can use any of the MHM approved conditioners as your leave-in, and you would dilute whichever one you choose

I will be using my Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner until I can buy some Kinky Curly Knot Today to compare