twisting woes

pattyr5

I am so frustrated right now. Since my BC in May I have not be able to do anything with my hair besides a WNG. Trying to get a successful twist out had become an obsession driving me to try all kinds of products from butters to curl creams to gel. Still I can't get a good result regardless if I twist on wet, damp or dry hair. So instead of asking for help to get it right....I wanted to know....are there certain textures that just can't hold a twist no matter what? I read somewhere that type 3's can't twist but I have seen plenty of gorgeous twist outs on both 3's and 4's. I'm thinking it might be my texture and not necessarily my curl pattern that is the issue. What say you?

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I'm newly natural as well. I just finished my transition after a little over a year earlier this month. I attempted a twist out this morning. I twisted the night before and took down the twists this morning. It was an utter failure. I also attempted twist outs during my tradition and the never worked. I'm beginning to think its a texture issue as well. It also may just be user error. I was never very good at styling my own hair. I have gotten pretty good at getting my wash n goes to look pretty good. I've tried several different products for my wash n goes and I've gotten consistent results no matter what I've used. The other style I've been able to do with pretty good results are finger coils.

What is your texture/hair type?

I think I'm mostly 4a with a random 3b area behind my right ear and right nape area.

pattyr5

The hair typing thing truly confuses me so I am not certain but I've been told I was 3C with 3B in the front and crown area of my head. As far as texture is concerned I think my hair is either cottony or spongy since it has low shine and can get very frizzy/poofy looking. You just reminded me that my twist outs didn't look good when I was transitioning either.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
The problem with hair typing is that it is totally subjective. If you ask five people to give their opinion of what someone's hair type is your liable to get 5 different answers.

When I was transitioning I got my hair cornrow/twisted into updos at a salon on a regular basis. They would mostly twist and curl the bang area with perm rods. I never liked how it looked if they took the twists a loose. It never fell right. So I preferred leaving the twist in tact. The twist I put in last night were very lush looking but definitely not long enough for me to comfortably were out in public. I like my hair cut and length but I'm still not comfortable with certain aspects of having short hair if that makes any sense.

krikit96

I have 3c/4a hair and this random patch of 3b in the front... it may even be 3a, who knows... I have a daughter who is 3c and a son who is 3a/3b... I have a son who is 4a/4b. All that to say, I have played in ALL of their heads of hair, and I personally think twistouts can work for any texture of hair. I DO think it depends on the product and how your hair responds to the product. I think it also depends on the technique used as well. You can have the right product but the wrong technique and it'll turn out a hot mess... You can also vice versa and have the right technique, but if your hair doesn't agree with the product, it's a lost cause. My products mostly work on my son with the 4a/4b hair, but I cannot use the same stuff my daughters hair will use, it just looks like crap on me. My other son, he has his own set of products, products in my product junkyism, that didn't work for me and I discovered that his hair reacted well to them... He has a HUMONGOUS afro that I braid and play in all the time... all 4 of us use something else... while my daughter and my youngest son can sometimes use the same products, I never can use their stuff. Me and my oldest son can use the same stuff.

Actually pattyr5 - I had been wanting to ask you about your visit to the Anthony Dickey Hair Rules salon... You said they got your hair to respond better than it had EVER done at home, and you bought a bunch of products to see if you could recreate the look... Did it work for you the same once you were home? I've been meaning to ask you that! :yep:
Do you think you could go back to the salon (probably too expensive) and get the twist out and then mock whatever they do and get the same results?

Last edited:

pattyr5

I have 3c/4a hair and this random patch of 3b in the front... it may even be 3a, who knows... I have a daughter who is 3c and a son who is 3a/3b... I have a son who is 4a/4b. All that to say, I have played in ALL of their heads of hair, and I personally think twistouts can work for any texture of hair. I DO think it depends on the product and how your hair responds to the product. I think it also depends on the technique used as well. You can have the right product but the wrong technique and it'll turn out a hot mess... You can also vice versa and have the right technique, but if your hair doesn't agree with the product, it's a lost cause. My products mostly work on my son with the 4a/4b hair, but I cannot use the same stuff my daughters hair will use, it just looks like crap on me. My other son, he has his own set of products, products in my product junkyism, that didn't work for me and I discovered that his hair reacted well to them... He has a HUMONGOUS afro that I braid and play in all the time... all 4 of us use something else... while my daughter and my youngest son can sometimes use the same products, I never can use their stuff. Me and my oldest son can use the same stuff.

Actually @pattyr5 - I had been wanting to ask you about your visit to the Anthony Dickey Hair Rules salon... You said they got your hair to respond better than it had EVER done at home, and you bought a bunch of products to see if you could recreate the look... Did it work for you the same once you were home? I've been meaning to ask you that! :yep:
Do you think you could go back to the salon (probably too expensive) and get the twist out and then mock whatever they do and get the same results?[/QUOTE]

I have been back to Hair Rules now 3 times and LOVED the results. I can get the same results in terms of curl definition at home for sure. It too about 1-2 months of daily WnG's but I got it. My finished look is not the same as I literally wash and go....at the salon they put you under the dryer and then stretch the curls with a blow dryer...I don't usually have the time for that but I have done it maybe 3 times and it came close. I am thinking about having a twist out done there just to figure out what I am doing wrong.

naturalmanenyc

No, I don't think it's texture at all. It's most likely product.
What products are you using?

I'm a soon to be reformed product junkie. This was my stash, not including the products in the bathroom. I gave some things away, but I did buy some Oyin products this month to test out.

I have so much product because I could not find the right combination for my hair. I still don't have holy grail products but I can achieve a twist out that holds. It's trial and error with products which is why I like companies who sell sample sizes.

My twist out routine for wet hair is:
leave-in conditioner
styling product (allow to dry overnight)
oil on my hands for the take down
*some people seal their wet twists with an oil, cream, butter or pomade

When I retwist on dry hair I typically sprtiz with water and add more styling product.

This was my flat twist out using Curl Prep Sweet Buttah:
http://youtu.be/tGJfiZPfFws?t=12s
It's a totally different look than the two strand twist out.

BillsBackerz67

my twists come out best when i use a heavy leave in cream on damp hair and saturate each section with product...like until my hair foams:lol: it eventually dries up. i like the cantu shea butter leave in conditioner cream that comes in the small jar. they look really thin at first because they are damp with product but after an hour or two they puff up. and get bigger over a few days. after a week ill brush it out with a paddle brush like my avi. i dont like twist outs on my hair inless its very long...which it def is not right now.

Attachments

• image-2488868183.jpg
    image-2488868183.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 150
  • image-2803076384.jpg
    image-2803076384.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1477607902.jpg
    image-1477607902.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

pattyr5

stephanie75miller... I totally understand about the shorter hair. I was WL when I did the BC and my current length is really taking some getting used to....shrinkage doesn't help matters either.

pattyr5

No, I don't think it's texture at all. It's most likely product.
What products are you using?

I have so much product because I could not find the right combination for my hair. I still don't have holy grail products but I can achieve a twist out that holds. It's trial and error with products which is why I like companies who sell sample sizes.

my twists come out best when i use a heavy leave in cream on damp hair and saturate each section with product...like until my hair foams:lol: it eventually dries up. i like the cantu shea butter leave in conditioner cream that comes in the small jar. they look really thin at first because they are damp with product but after an hour or two they puff up. and get bigger over a few days. after a week ill brush it out with a paddle brush like my avi. i dont like twist outs on my hair inless its very long...which it def is not right now.

My last attempt I used Sheam Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Eco Styler.

My Holy Grail Products for WnG's don't cut it for the twists....and I have just about everything hair related known to man...I am beyond a junkie.

BillsBackerz67 Your twists are gorgeous!!! When you get your products to "foam" :lachen: how long does it take to dry and are you getting under a dryer or air drying? I think my hair would take a week to dry it I got it foamy. I think I'm low porosity...I can leave my twists in overnight and still have to sit under the dryer in the morning.

pattyr5

^^^^Comparing it to my WnG I get much better definition. My twist-out is just HAM. It's not even salvageable. I just end up getting in the shower and washing it out. It's never crunchy or dry. it's soft but frizzy and just yuck :lachen:

Attachments

• WnG.JPG
    WnG.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 146
  • twistout.JPG
    twistout.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 144

bluevalentine

^^^ Your hair is beautiful! And I feel u because my twistouts suck and they always look yucky and limp and frizzy. My twistouts when I was relaxed were wayyyyyy better. I used to do them all the time when I was relaxed and I had better expectations with my natural hair. It sucks. And I agree with u I really do think it has something to do with my hair texture not type. I've tried so many different products I'm about to give up and just do wash and gos.

naturalmanenyc

pattyr5

Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie did not work for for a twist out. Photos are on my blog here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/shea-moisture-curl-enhancing-smoothie/ My hair looked more like a wash and go.

Eco Styler (the green olive oil one or the argan oil one) can work for a twist out by itself but it may leave your hair hard.

The She Moisture Curling Souffle worked for me for a twist out, but not with the definition I prefer. I was able to get second day hair out of it. Photos are here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/shea-moisture-curling-souffle/

Last edited:

pattyr5

^^^I used the SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie as my moisturizer because I thought the gel would dry out my hair. I have tried Eco Styler also (the green and pink ones) and it was still a fail. So you think I should use it alone? I think you may have solved my problem, because I have ALWAYS used some kind of moisture product (in addition to my leave in) under the gel to prevent dryness. Maybe it was making my hair too soft. I will try your suggestion.

bluevalentine Thank you for the compliment :grin:
I never attempted a twist out while relaxed but if my transition was any indication I should have known it was gonna be a mess. Because I don't have root to tip curl definition I thought twists would give me a uniform curl pattern.:nono: Didn't work out that way. Honestly, if the suggestions here don't work, I'm gonna have to give it up too. I just don't know what I will do in the winter months.

naturalmanenyc

pattyr5

Yes, I think you may have the wrong product combination. A cream styler or butter may work better for you, on top of your moisturizer/leave-in.

My plan, when I take out these Havana twists, it to try the Oyin honey dew moisturizer, whipped pudding styler and burnt sugar pomade to seal. I'm hoping it's a winning combo since it's a Black owned company and available in Target.

pattyr5

@pattyr5

Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie did not work for for a twist out. Phtoos are here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/shea-moisture-curl-enhancing-smoothie/ My hair looked more like a wash and go.

Eco Styler (the green olive oil one or the argan oil one) can work for a twist out by itself but it may leave your hair hard.

The She Moisture Curling Souffle worked for me for a twist out, but not with the definition I prefer. I was able to get second day hair out of it. Photos are here: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/shea-moisture-curling-souffle/

^^^ Your hair is beautiful! And I feel u because my twistouts suck and they always look yucky and limp and frizzy. My twistouts when I was relaxed were wayyyyyy better. I used to do them all the time when I was relaxed and I had better expectations with my natural hair. It sucks. And I agree with u I really do think it has something to do with my hair texture not type. I've tried so many different products I'm about to give up and just do wash and gos.

@pattyr5

Yes, I think you may have the wrong product combination. A cream styler or butter may work better for you, on top of your moisturizer/leave-in.

My plan, when I take out these Havana twists, it to try the Oyin honey dew moisturizer, whipped pudding styler and burnt sugar pomade to seal. I'm hoping it's a winning combo since it's a Black owned company and available in Target.

Oyin is at Target now? I can't stand the one by me....they have a very small section for natural hair. They need to get on the ball. Oyin leaves my hair super moisturized...I can go for days without needing to reapply.

Honey Bee

This might be a dumb question, but to those having trouble with twist-outs: how do you do your twists? Do you just cross the hair back and forth, like a two-strand braid? Or are you twirling the hair a bit before you twist it?

oneastrocurlie

pattyr5

patty5 I think you're twist out looks good :)

But I quoted naturalmanenyc because, when my hair was longer, I used all three of those oyin products to do twists outs. Not all together but either the Oyin dew and pomade or the dew and pudding. I love using burnt sugar pomade on top of hair dew or shea moisture curling enhancing smoothie to seal then twist.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
This might be a dumb question, but to those having trouble with twist-outs: how do you do your twists? Do you just cross the hair back and forth, like a two-strand braid? Or are you twirling the hair a bit before you twist it?
I used shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie and I just two strand twisted.

pattyr5

honeybee. I tried twirling the hair before twisting and they ended up looking like dreads when I took them down so after that I just stuck to a regular twist.

Honey Bee

@honeybee. I tried twirling the hair before twisting and they ended up looking like dreads when I took them down so after that I just stuck to a regular twist.
pattyr5, You mean like wiggly dreads? That's right. I just gently untwirl them and separate at that point.

stephanie75miller, Try it the twirly way and let me know what you think. I used to think everybody did twists this way, but Nonie mentioned the difference between the two methods to Poohbear once and I was like, ':think: There are people who do it differently.' :lol:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I was very lazy this weekend and did not do any twisting experiments. I ended up just doing wash n goes. I may try twisting this coming weekend.

biznesswmn

I was gonna suggest twirling too, if u r doing a two strand twist. Similar to senegalese twists. It helps prevent the twist from unravelg before its dry.
http://youtu.be/fvAJEqNc8EM

For those who need a visual, u can start abt the 2 min mark. Before that she is showg how to add extensions

When i do a twistout i flat twist and twirl/twist the ends so they dont unravel. It helps a lot

SEMO

^^^I used the SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie as my moisturizer because I thought the gel would dry out my hair. I have tried Eco Styler also (the green and pink ones) and it was still a fail. So you think I should use it alone? I think you may have solved my problem, because I have ALWAYS used some kind of moisture product (in addition to my leave in) under the gel to prevent dryness. Maybe it was making my hair too soft. I will try your suggestion.

bluevalentine Thank you for the compliment :grin:
I never attempted a twist out while relaxed but if my transition was any indication I should have known it was gonna be a mess. Because I don't have root to tip curl definition I thought twists would give me a uniform curl pattern.:nono: Didn't work out that way. Honestly, if the suggestions here don't work, I'm gonna have to give it up too. I just don't know what I will do in the winter months.
pattyr5

SM curl enhancing smoothie never fails to give me poofy hair (no matter what gel or styler I use with it). So I think a big part of the problem you're having may be that product.

pattyr5

So I ditched the SM Curl enhancing smoothie and replaced it with Mixed Chicks leave in and Eco Styler. I got my best twist out so far but my hair felt soooo dry and the twist out didn't last more than 1 day. The search continues....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 37

Honey Bee

So I ditched the SM Curl enhancing smoothie and replaced it with Mixed Chicks leave in and Eco Styler. I got my best twist out so far but my hair felt soooo dry and the twist out didn't last more than 1 day. The search continues....
But did you twirl? :reddancer:

:lol: