Rollersetting 2011! (Challenge, Tips, Techniques, etc.)

ElegantPearl17

I wanted to know if the Pibbs dryer is worth purchasing to cut down dryer time???? Ladies please give reviews. I have already seen several dryers mentioned in this thread and I wanted to get some feedback as to if the Pibbs is the best hooded dryer.

AfroKink

Now this I can do :grin:

Starting Length/Goal Length: MBL currently but may be BSL after Jan 5th trim/WL

Why You Rollerset: Low manipulation, most manageable for me

How Often: 1x/week. Will be wearing off shoulder or in a bun for the winter.

Products: Experimenting with various organic lines. This week, Giovanni.

Techniques/Tools: Mohawk technique using magnetic rollers (wishing for ceramics in the near future), ION Ionic and Carel Soft Bonnet Dryer.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: Thin sections and make sure ends are wet and perfectly smoothed over roller.

Your hair is lovely!

I wanted to know if the Pibbs dryer is worth purchasing to cut down dryer time???? Ladies please give reviews. I have already seen several dryers mentioned in this thread and I wanted to get some feedback as to if the Pibbs is the best hooded dryer.

I own a Pibbs but I've never tried another hooded dryer, so I can't compare it with anything else. I chose to go for it based on reviews here.

Need2gro

Starting Length/Goal Length: starting length in pic, GL: Waist length

Why You Rollerset: My hair told me to.

How Often: every 4-5 days when I wash

Products: For my rollersets I've been using Motions Nourish Leave-in Conditioner (its ok), Herbal Essence LTR leave in,but am now going to try Aphogee Style & Wrap mousse.

Techniques/Tools: Rollers, I dunno what type they are, but I brought them from home (See pic) I dry my hair with the Jet bonnet dryer attachment. That is usually the only heat I use, and then wrap my hair with my stocking to get it strait.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: Be gentle, make sure your hair is completely dry before taking ur rollers out. Practice, practice makes nice rollersets. I prefer to rollerset infront of the mirror - takes me 30 mins to completely set my hair.

Attachments

• rollerset.jpg
    rollerset.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 273
  • chk2.jpg
    chk2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 220

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
^^nice starting length!
lmao @ "my hair told me to." glad i'm not the only one with a diva on my head.

MsWowFactor

Im in. I love rollersetting. I think if your consistent your hair will really benefit from it.

Starting Length/Goal Length: APL
Why You Rollerset: It helps to stretch my hair, allows for me to have a smooth straight look without to much direct heat.
How Often: 2 - 3 times a month.
Products:Sebastion#9 leav in, Fredrick Fekai glossing cream, water and lotta body mix/ or silicon mix
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryerI use all types of rollers, mesh, magnetic, flexi rods and caruso.
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Roller setting: be careful of how much product you use because it can weigh down your hair and not allow for a silky bouncy rollerset.

xmasbaby78

I'm rollersetting for next week!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Bouncin&Behavin

YES!!! I have thick 4b hair that loves to hold water. Once it's wet, it's like a sponge and takes FOREVER to dry. I've had regular hooded dryers (Gold N Hot, etc) and my hair took nearly 2 hours to dry and I would constantly have to switch positions to make sure it all dried or to avoid hot spots. I got my Pibbs last Christmas and my hair dries completely in about 40-45 minutes (with rollers) or 25 (without). I never rollerset before I got it, but now it's so much easier. The air flows evenly, I don't sweat under the dryer, it's quiet, I don't have to change positions, it rolls around easily, etc. Definitely worth it!

Bouncin&Behavin

It's Sunday!
Who's rollersetting today in preparation for work/school on Monday?? :D

I tried a ponytail rollerset today for the first time! It came out pretty good, but I think I need to try more red rollers in certain areas instead of purple. I used a little Herbal Essence LTR, Chi Silk Infusion and set with water in a spray bottle. The ponytail method is sooooo much faster! I love it! I can't wait to try it again next weekend. I didn't have time to dry it 100% today so it was a little bit frizzy. Still cute though.

Curlybeauty

I think I might redo my hair later today and actually use some setting lotion and smaller rollers.

I like the set I have now, but it has been raining lately and i'm off until wed :)

niknakmac

i did my first rollerset of the year yesterday on teal magnetic rollers. it looks super cute. i'm rollersetting my way to full shoulder length.

This sounds wonderful!

Starting Length/Goal Length: APL going for TBL
Why You Rollerset: I like the overall look after its done
How Often: Every other week
Products: Infusium Leave-in
Techniques/Tools: Sometimes magnetic rollers sometimes the mesh (but the ones without that plastic in the middle); hooded dryer
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: I find when I set from the bottom up each row its easier, also keep a spray bottle handy with a diluted version of your leave-in or straight water so that you can lightly mist sections that have dried before you were able to get to them.

adebow

I'm on board. I love rollersets. I used to rollerset very often, but haven't done so in a while.

Starting Length/Goal Length: APL/MBL
Why You Rollerset: reduce heat exposure (I usually sit under dryer for 30 minutes then air dry until dry); less manipulation
How Often: at least 3x a month
Products: I apply Hawaiian Silky to my set daily then comb thru and style with fingers
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) magnetic rollers under a hooded dryer

Attachments

• 100_0443.jpg
    100_0443.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

prettybyrd

I'm a newbie when it comes to rollersetting. I've done it a few times, but no where near as good as you ladies.

I've been blow drying, but I want to switch it up a little, plus a friend came to my office today with the prettiest, bounciest rollerset, and I was a whole lot jealous!:grin:

I'm also doing HYH2011 - so this will make my daily French Braids easier to braid.

Starting Length/Goal Length: SL/APL (short term goal for the end of the challenge)

Why You Rollerset: I love the look of a rollerset, and I like the low manipulation.

How Often: 1 time a week

Products: Taliah Waajid shampoo and conditioner, Infusium 23 Leave in conditioner spray, Lottabody/water mix, JBCO on my hair and ends

Techniques/Tools: I try to keep the hair taut, I roll towards the back of my head using orange magnetic rollers, I use end wraps to keep my hair in place.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Roller setting: Well, being that I'm a beginner, I hope that this helps someone: When using magnetic rollers, as your hair grows, you will need to change the size of the rollers that you use for a quicker dry. I guess the fewer times the hair wraps around the roller, the faster it will dry. (I think! :grin:)

ckisland

I'm taking a temporary break from my braid n'curl because my hair's been dry for the past few weeks. I'm guessing it's a mix of not cowashing enough and a protein overload. For now I'm rinsing and bunning daily, but hopefully I'll be back to it sooner than later.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
welcome to our new challengers!!
hopefully we can get some pics of some sets really soon. :D
@ckisland-i totally understand. funny thing is, my hair's actually been needing some protein. i can tell cause it's extra tangly.
sitting under the dryer right now with a braid n curl. hopefully it'll come out cute :yep:

Last edited:

blessedandlucky

I am considering joining but I have a really basic question. What kind of rollers should I get? I'm relaxed bsb with shortest layers at apl. I prefer waves to curls if that matters. Got a dryer for Christmas and want to use it for more than deep conditioning treatments. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

RossBoss

I got finger waves in my hair right now. I had it done for a New Year's Eve party and want to keep it until either Thursday or Friday, so I will be rollersetting then with mesh rollers.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I am considering joining but I have a really basic question. What kind of rollers should I get? I'm relaxed bsb with shortest layers at apl. I prefer waves to curls if that matters. Got a dryer for Christmas and want to use it for more than deep conditioning treatments. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
hmmm....i think you should get large magnetic rollers, but i'm not 100% sure. i don't remember what the largest size is, but i'm sure someone knows.
bumping for an answer to your question!!
I got finger waves in my hair right now. I had it done for a New Year's Eve party and want to keep it until either Thursday or Friday, so I will be rollersetting then with mesh rollers.
awesome! how did you do the finger waves?

MissErikaM

okay, at first i was just gonna lurk and enjoy the eye candy, BUT after seeing everyone and their pretty rollersets I want in too! I did my first rollerset sunday night and i loved it soooo much I'm gonna try and exclusively rollerset the month of january! be back later with info @ work right now...

Curlybeauty

Okay so I was supposed to wait until the weekend to do another set but I couldn't resist :look:

So I switched up my products a little bit for the simple fact that I need to use up A LOT of stuff that I had no business buying in the first place *shrugs*

So this time I used Silk Elements silken child leave-in detangler all over. Then on each section per roller I used a pump of Vitale olive oil setting lotion and a couple spritz of Elasta QP feels like silk thermal silkening spray. Tons of water so My hair could be slick and all was well...

About halfway through I rediscovered end papers :love: seriously, if you are having ANY problems keeping your ends straight grab a end paper and walah problems are gone. BUT one of my rollers wasn't quite dry on the end and I snatched the end paper off and it went poof :thud: I was heartbroken...

Needless to say I flat ironed the end against my wishes and pin curled my whole head. I will come back and add pics before I go to work when I have to take my hair down.

i plan on using this product combination until the leave-in is gone because target was having a sale and I got LTR leave-in for 2 for 5.

And this was all done on freshly co-washed and DC'ed hair...

Sorry for the long post....

xmasbaby78

This week roller set still holding up..

I'm rolling my hair at night to maintain my set, is anyone else having to do this? Or in other words, how is everyone maintaining their rollerset?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
welcome to all the new challengers!! :grin:
@curlybeauty, girl i love long posts! i've been sleeping on end papers forever, i guess i'll have to get some...
@xmasbaby, your hair looks soo lovely!! :love: i really like how you styled it.
to answer your question, i don't reroll at night because i've been doing spiral sets (flexirods) and braid n curls. so i just pineapple it-get all the curls to the crown of my head and cover it with my bonnet.
but maybe when i do a magnetic set with larger curls, i'll reroll-sounds like a good idea.

isioma85

Joining in :wave:

I'm currently SL and falling in love with my hair :love: I wore protective styles all through 2010 and it paid off big time with my retention, but now I need to figure out ways to style my hair without the weave :lol:

I tried a rollerset on my own two days ago - EPIC fail :nono: I used a 50/50 mix of Isoplus Setting Lotion and water in my spray bottle, wayyyy too much as I found out later when my hair came out crunchy with zero movement :blush:

I let it air dry and ran my blow dryer over it before I took the rollers out. The curls were perfect, but so dry :nono: I used some moisturizer and that remedied it. So for my next rollerset (probably Friday) I will use less product, and use the Herbal Essences NOYF Leave In Creme. I'll also pick up some larger rollers for the center of my head, that part took FOREVER to dry!

I'll post pixs of Friday's rollerset and of the earlier epic fail too :hide: I hope it helps someone avoid the mess I made :lol:

I'm a relaxed 4b, and I do 6 month stretches.

Last edited:

niknakmac

This week roller set still holding up..

I'm rolling my hair at night to maintain my set, is anyone else having to do this? Or in other words, how is everyone maintaining their rollerset?

your rollerset looks very pretty! What size rollers did you use? I have been using four flexi rods at night to maintain my rollerset, maybe you could try that? I am afraid that if I pin curl it wil look busted and then i will have to flat iron in the morning. i am trying to refuse to flat iron.