Adding Oil to Relaxers?

RubyWoo

The last time I relaxed I used 1 tbsp of Olive Oil and 1.5 tbsps of Aphogee EFA Concentrate and my hair came out straight.

The next time I relax, I plan to use 1 tbsp of Aphogee EFA and 1tbsp of Avocado oil.

Spidergul

Creme of Nature makes a no- lye relaxer with cococut oil and sunflower oils. I used it and added alma about 2 tbps to the mix. My hair came out very soft and straight.
I did not realize adding oil to a relaxer was texlaxing. I've heard the term, but thought it meant not leaving the relaxer on very long?:confused:

tiffanyoneal

chica_canella said:
You know what, this makes absolute sense because the strand or cuticle is opened meaning not only is the base breaking down the curl but at the same time u are infusing oil in the strands chemically.:)

...Ohhh now I get it! :lol: This makes alot of sense to me.

CurleeDST

I saw an advertisement for Creme of Nature's relaxer where they have oil vials to be added to the relaxer before it is mixed. I believe the oils are sunflower and something else. I can't remember so do not quote me. With that said, perhaps it isn't a bad idea.

gymfreak336

Bumping. I will be relaxing soon I am going to try adding some oil. I was thinking about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil.

C

chica_canella

tiffanyoneal said:
...Ohhh now I get it! :lol: This makes alot of sense to me.

Yeah, because when you are relaxing someone actually gave a chemical description that said your cuticles are lifted to allow the relaxer to penetrate the core or inner core which makes up your curl pattern. So if your cuticles are lifted to allow the relaxer in it will also allow the oil in with the relaxer sense it is mixed together. I'm going to ask my beautician to do this.

I wonder if EVOO would be just as good?:D

CurleeDST

Some people also mix equal parts of conditioner in the relaxer mix before relaxing their hair. I have seen excellent results with that.

C

chica_canella

CurleeDST said:
Some people also mix equal parts of conditioner in the relaxer mix before relaxing their hair. I have seen excellent results with that.

Oooh, really. I wonder how long it takes for the relaxer to take. Do you think that I should try this if I want bone straight results or will it just take longer?

envybeauty

Kristal said:
Bumping...I would like to know if adding oil makes it a texturizer as well.

no. the dominican salon where i go to usually add oil to almost every perm they use....and they relax until the hair is bone straight. they erlaxed me to bone straight for years with adding oil to the relaxer.

CurleeDST

I never did it but Anikalia did it but I believe she did it to texturize and not get bone straight.

When you go bone straight do you still get bend in your hair for a slight curl?

chica_canella said:
Oooh, really. I wonder how long it takes for the relaxer to take. Do you think that I should try this if I want bone straight results or will it just take longer?

tri3nity

Bumping for updates! Have the motions moisturizing lye relaxer. How much oil and how much SAA? Doing it Friday night. After all of the information I've received from you ladies, I feel confident that I can self relax! TIA

tri3nity

Bump! Ok ladies, I'm relaxing this evening. anybody still doing this and what are your measurements for saa and/ or oils? And what oils do you use?

KinkyGenius

I think I'm adding too much oil to mine because my hair is really underprocessed this time around. I'm texlaxed, but it's still really underprocessed to me. I'll scale back on the oil amount when I relax next month.

tri3nity

I think I'm adding too much oil to mine because my hair is really underprocessed this time around. I'm texlaxed, but it's still really underprocessed to me. I'll scale back on the oil amount when I relax next month.

How much have you been adding? And what type of oils are you using?

sqzbly1908

Bump! Ok ladies, I'm relaxing this evening. anybody still doing this and what are your measurements for saa and/ or oils? And what oils do you use?

I add a capful of SAA to my relaxer...last time I added oil it was around 2-3 teaspoons..

Aviah

I did this on Monday when relaxing my friend's hair. She had no burns and her hair was light and flowing afterward. It was an extra strength realxer too. I can only think it would be beneficial.

KinkyGenius

How much have you been adding? And what type of oils are you using?

I use Sweet Almond Oil and I use 1/4 cup of oil. I followed Sistaslick's article when it came to this.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?cat=69

Here's the excerpt I'm referencing:
"Chemical relaxers contain very harsh ingredients, but you can reduce the aggressiveness of your chemical relaxer. To reduce the harsh effects of your relaxer, simply add ¼ of a cup of your favorite oil or conditioner to the creme. This additional material will help to condition your hair. It will also buy you valuable application time during your self-relaxing process by slowing the processing of the relaxer. Any oil or lightweight conditioner will do! I use almond oil in my chemical relaxer creme."

KinkyGenius

I use Sweet Almond Oil and I use 1/4 cup of oil. I followed Sistaslick's article when it came to this.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?cat=69

Here's the excerpt I'm referencing:
"Chemical relaxers contain very harsh ingredients, but you can reduce the aggressiveness of your chemical relaxer. To reduce the harsh effects of your relaxer, simply add ¼ of a cup of your favorite oil or conditioner to the creme. This additional material will help to condition your hair. It will also buy you valuable application time during your self-relaxing process by slowing the processing of the relaxer. Any oil or lightweight conditioner will do! I use almond oil in my chemical relaxer creme."

I usually eyeball it when I "measure" so I think I added way more than 1/4 cup. I'll be breaking out my measuring cup next time around that's for sure.

tri3nity

ok Just finished relaxing my hair. It said leave it on 15-18 minutes tops. It ended up being 19 minutes. I think that's pretty good for a beginner. (I hope) It looks ok so far. I was out of SAA, it hasnt come yet from lotion crafters, but I added 1 teaspoons of evoo and 1 teaspoon of jojoba. I didnt burn and my hair feels really soft. I am now deep conditioning in addition to the Silk conditioner that they have for prior to using the neutralizing shampoo. I will give an update on tomorrow, because I'm going to wet wrap and allow it to dry about 50 % under a dryer and dry the rest over night. wish me luck!

tri3nity

How did your relaxer turn out?

It came out real nice! Thanks for checking on me shyintellect! :) I did an aloe juice rinse to soothe my scalp as the final step. Leave in and mousse then wet wrapped. When I took it down this morning it was shiny, full with body and noticably longer. I'm very pleased with the outcome!