My hair has stopped growing

BlkOnyx488

At the end of 2011, I changed my profile photo to the one I currently have. At the end of 2012 I was going to post a new Photo showing a years worth of growth. Well Jokes on me, my hair stayed the same length.:ohwell:

I trim my ends regularly, I DC, and I keep my hair in protected style, I baggie every night I keep my ends tucked away all the rules. but no growth.

I am one of the slowest growers on this board, but I usually get maybe 3 inches a year MAYBE, Last year nothing.

Should I cut like an inch or two off and trick my hair in to thinking it's not at the final length.

I have not wanted to do anything to my hair while I have been frustrated with it so I just keep it in cornrows.

I was thinking of trying JBCO. Currently every night I have been using a Cayenne pepper sulfer mix, with shea butter, Coconut oil and little bit of s-curl as my baggie mix. but that's it

I dc weekly with Proclaim DC, NO heat just overnight baggie.

It's like it's done growing

I was bummed for a while but oh well, it's still longer than it's ever been so I can't complain.

Attachments

• 1367379211-picsay.jpg
    1367379211-picsay.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 150

JazziLady!

Maybe you are trimming too much and too often. Have you ever thought about dusting? Often times people think that they need regular trims which end up stunting the amount of growth you retain. If your ends are healthy, and you are keeping heat off of your hair, you really don't have to trim often at all.

BlackHairDiva

You might want take a close look at the products you use and the tools you used. Just like you I thought the same. Then I realised, that I can be e even more delicate with my hair. I got better brushes and i also got a better hair dryer. it changed the world to me. I also changed how I blow dried my hair. I start at the bottom of the hair and then move up to the root.

koolkittychick

Maybe you are doing a little too much to your hair? Or the wrong combination of things? I definitely would not cut it if the ends are fine; it will not "trick" your hair into growing any more than yelling "Boo!" at it.

I know for me the turning point from seeing no growth at all in two year to reaching APL+ in about 6 months was perfecting my M&S and DC game and learning to be gentle with my hair the way that it likes. I threw away my brushes, got a detangling comb my hair likes and use ONLY it to comb my hair, stopped doing tight braids and ponytails (how tight are your cornrows?), and learned to stop using hair ties (even the "ouchless" bands) when making my buns. Once I did all of that, 6 months and 3 inches later, I am realizing lengths I didn't think were possible for my hair.

And I would revisit the regular trims. As long as you baby your ends and they are in good condition, you don't need to trim your ends so often. I haven't trimmed my hair since last October and my ends are fine; they have grown 'fairy tail' fringy like I like but they are not broken and see-through, and I have retained most of the length I grew in that time with no setbacks., as you can see in this pic taken at the end of March:

Attachments

• length-check-03-31-13_200.jpg
    length-check-03-31-13_200.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 86

karenjoe

Maybe you are trimming too much and too often. Have you ever thought about dusting? Often times people think that they need regular trims which end up stunting the amount of growth you retain. If your ends are healthy, and you are keeping heat off of your hair, you really don't have to trim often at all.

I agree, I was dusting every month ( I have fine thin ends)
they needed to go.:yep:.

its ok my hair look thicker
good luck..

BlkOnyx488

Thanks Ladies, I should have said something sooner.

I don't cornrow very tightly, I don't use bands on my hair. I cornrow my hair to the crown of my head, the merge all the rows together. I usually wear afro puffs, the are light weight and look like my real hair.

I could use some better quality combs.

My hair will snap off on a dime, one of the reasons I try not to do to much to it.

Thanks for helpful advice. This Hair Journey thing is a life long process.

alive

what she said :yep:

BlkOnyx488

Is your hair fine? How often are you doing protein treatments?

Yes, I have very thin hair. I don't do protein treatments. One year I over used a protein product and I had to cut my hair a lot of it. So I guess I over corrected. I have natural 4ab hair. I have really been trying to keep it simple, maybe my regi is to simple, but again I don't want to product overload either. My hair is very fragile.

which is why before LHCF, It was never longer than necklength

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
BlkOnyx488
Your hair looks nice. :up:

My hair probably grows slower than yours and my hair is fine, thin and fragile as well. :yep:

With each trim, you remove your length, but in doing that your ends are nice.
Reduce the number of trims like one of the posters said and you should see some accumulation.

Even natural hair needs a little protein from time to time. Don't be afraid.

Also, be mindful that nourishing your hair from the inside out is beneficial even more than topical. How's your diet, water intake and supplementation? How's your Vitamin D levels? Are you close to peri-menopause?

Amarilles

Yes, I have very thin hair. I don't do protein treatments. One year I over used a protein product and I had to cut my hair a lot of it. So I guess I over corrected. I have natural 4ab hair. I have really been trying to keep it simple, maybe my regi is to simple, but again I don't want to product overload either. My hair is very fragile.

which is why before LHCF, It was never longer than necklength
No protein could be an issue though...if your hair healthy you may not need a super strength protein treatment, but a DC with a hydrolyzed protein or two could really give strength and life to your strands. You mentioned your hair snapping easily before, healthy hair with a good moisture/protein balance will stretch nicely before snapping. If it doesn't your elasticity isn't where it should be, which is directly related to your M/P balance. What are your products?

Simplicity is good though. Nothing wrong with PJism but I personally do agree with not playing the product game with your head. The point is to cleanse, deep condition, moisturize and seal. It doesn't have to be any more complicated.

bhndbrwneyes

I agree wholeheartedly with the statements about

1.) Up your protein. Doesn't necessarily mean doing an intense protein treatment but at least trying to include it somewhere in your regimen to achieve a proper protein/moisture balance.

2.) Reduce your trims, dust as needed. If you're hair is growing say .5 inches per month and you are trimming that amount or trimming 1 inch every 2 months then of course your not seeing any growth even though it is occurring.

If you feel you are shedding more than average (50-100 strands per day) then try a rinse. Black tea is good for shedding.

BlkOnyx488

Wow this is embarrassing, but I feel like I need to put it out there, fir helpful advice.

The attached photo is a strand of my hair, that just naturally shedded from my head.

As you can see it is split in six places, I have not seen a strand split this bad. But clearly I have a serious problem.

Attachments

• 1367412087-picsay.jpg
    1367412087-picsay.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 129

Theresamonet

If you trim you ends regularly and it's at the same length it was before you trimmed, then it is growing. No growth + trim = shorter than starting point, not the same.

It's something you are doing... Perhaps trimming too frequently, or trimming to much. If you are as slow a grower as you say you are, then you need to be extra anal about not trimming too much. And if you are taking care of your ends the way you claim, why do you need frequent trims anyway?

Last edited:

LynnieB

Ends need more attention!

Doesn't necessarily have to be a hard core protein but definitely a lighter one more frequently or to jump start....use a harder protein treatment and significantly up your moisturizing conditioning afterwards.

Splits like that can also have to do with the tools you're using or how you're handing your hair or could be an unbalanced M/P - you may have to use something besides oil on those ends (try h20/conditioner mix (something like vo5/suave) or just some water those ends then seal. I'd leave the more exotic mixtures alone and stick to the basics.

If you have alot of splits like the one in the photo, you're definitely going to need to a good trim to get rid of most of them before going on.

Start fresh then try different tools, handling and find a conditioner/treatment that lessens or prevents this from reoccurring.

Sorry you're going through this :( Don't give up!!

lana

I know someone else mentioned it up top already, but I want to emphasize the need for internal body health. Are you taking a daily vitamin, are you working out (sweating is good), are you drinking plenty of water and eating protein? Have you tried Silica (Horsehtail) and a "hair, skin and nails" vitamin.

Your hair is growing and it's being trimmed and/or breaking just as fast as its growing.

Are you using quality products on your hair? Do you have hard water where you live? A shower filter changed my hair and my life.

Baggying isn't for everyone. It made my ends mushy and prone to breakage.

I do not believe in a "terminal length" for our hair. I started out with ear length hair (that stayed that way for years because of scissor happy stylists and my lack of knowledge) and now I'm at the longest length of my adult life - just about bra strap length and heading toward mid-back. You can do it too!

Vintagecoilylocks

I read that you were natural but your avatar shows straight hair. My hair was your length all my life till I gave up trying to straighten it. If you do have very fine delicate hair one session with heat can break it off. My hair cannot tolerate any heat. Thats when it grew. Also sounds like you are also trimming all your growth.

Vintagecoilylocks

Wow this is embarrassing, but I feel like I need to put it out there, fir helpful advice.

The attached photo is a strand of my hair, that just naturally shedded from my head.

As you can see it is split in six places, I have not seen a strand split this bad. But clearly I have a serious problem.

Also make sure you are growing stronger hair with a good protein diet and vitamins. Weak hair won't survive the long haul to longer lengths.

Amarilles

While she may be trimming a lot, she might actually need it if a lot of strands have splits. It's useless to trim healthy ends but if she's having a lot of splitting then over-trimming is not the problem. Trimming often would be good in that case.

The split hair above looks like a feather or tree split? Do try revisiting your steps and tools...make sure your combs are seamless. Check that your trimming scissors are not dull, always cut on dry hair and straight across, not at an angle. The night before your wash day, baggy overnight with coconot oil to reduce hygral fatigue. Avoid overnight baggying with conditioners and waterbased products, or leaving the hair wet constantly. Check your styling tools for raggedy/pointed edges (including your hands and nails) and be mindful of your jewelry when washing/handling your hair.

If you post up your reggie we can see ingredients...but aside from the M/P balance, breakage depends so much on how we handle the hair.

g.lo

Op, I suffered from this problem last year, and was cutting my hair every month ( with more dusting in between):ohwell:
Now i have fine hair with high porosity and discovered (touch wood) what was causing it: baggy on wet or damp hair and overnight DC!
i stopped baggying on wet/damp hair, and up my proteins treatment (started Hardcore twice a month than reduced to once a month, with a mild one every week, I use GPb).

My hair is recovering nicely! if you want specific answers, try the Komaza analysis service.
good luck and don't give up:bighug::bighug:

genesislocks

I know someone else mentioned it up top already, but I want to emphasize the need for internal body health. Are you taking a daily vitamin, are you working out (sweating is good), are you drinking plenty of water and eating protein? Have you tried Silica (Horsehtail) and a "hair, skin and nails" vitamin.

Your hair is growing and it's being trimmed and/or breaking just as fast as its growing.

Are you using quality products on your hair? Do you have hard water where you live? A shower filter changed my hair and my life.

Baggying isn't for everyone. It made my ends mushy and prone to breakage.

I do not believe in a "terminal length" for our hair. I started out with ear length hair (that stayed that way for years because of scissor happy stylists and my lack of knowledge) and now I'm at the longest length of my adult life - just about bra strap length and heading toward mid-back. You can do it too!

I basically second all of the above :yep:

Here is why I think internal nutrients will be a game changer for you:
1.) From what you've described you're doing a good job of being gentle with your hair and attentive to your ends

2.) You trim regularly yet struggle to keep those pesky splits at bay

3.) Your hair has maintained length but hasn't lost length

IMO I think your body may be struggling to pull enough nutrients from your diet to nourish your strands properly. Your hair hasn't stopped growing, it just needs a little boost.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes:
- Look for a WHOLE FOOD organic supplement to take daily. Avoid any artificial supplements like the plague. This should help your body maintain a certain level of vitamins/minerals.

-Vitamin C. We know this to be good for the immune system but it's also very good for allowing our body to absorb nutrients more readily.

-Silica (as mentioned above): This will make your hair soft and shiny

-B-Complex: IMO it's better to take a B-complex vitamin complete with folic acid instead of taking Biotin by itself. All the vitamins complement one another so they're best taken in groups. I got mine at trader joe's for 6 bucks.

-MSM: I've never taken MSM but I've read that it lengthens the anagen phase in the hair growth cycle to increase the potential hair length.

-And of course Gelatin, this thickens hair, there's more info in the "All about Gelatin" thread

-IF all else fails...eat some good food :) sounds cliche, but if you go on a fruit/veggie cleanse your hair will love you.

-Lastly...Never...ever...ever...ever Give up :boxing:

Add a daily dose of inspiration to your diet
I can't tell you how many times...how many stories I've read of ladies who had the saaame hair length for years who are now laughing all the way to waist length :yep: You can do it! HHG!

manter26

If you have lots of strands that look like the one in your pic, you might need to get a good haircut and start new. The hair service that lots of members are using, might be a good idea if it's within your budget. They'd be able to give you some direction as to what to do next.

In my experience, fine strands need a lot of protein- weekly most likely. I'm not sure if you have fine strands because you answered about 'thin hair' which is different, IMO. Baggying, from my experience, leads to mushy hair that's prone to breakage. I'd also check your heat usage, like someone else mentioned. Blowdryers and flat irons can lead to split, fragile ends.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Braids / cornrows are not always our friends. Does the faux puff come on a french comb? That may be causing mechanical breakage.

Along with all of the other suggestions, especially the need for protein in your regimen, I would wear another style completely.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I have fine hair and I have to chime in with the protein recommendations. I think it's an essential step for those with fine hair to see length retention. It may seem like a lot of work but I will suggest henna. My hair always feels strong when I henna regularly. (About every 2 weeks).

BlkOnyx488

Thank you ladies so much.

I didn't know bagging could be a problem, especially on wet hair. A lot of times, that's how I would do my weekly dc.

I use Trader Joes Tea tree Shampoo and Conditioner, for daily cleaning. (i don't shampoo everyday) I read the labels the other day both products have Protein. So my hair has been getting some protein, not a lot.

I am a Zumba Instructor so I teach 7 - 10 classes per week. And I do HIIT workouts with my son in the evening. Because I head sweat, I am always rinsing my hair. I don't Shampoo daily, but I will use the Tea Tree Conditioner.

I have been taking a Trader Joes Supplement. I recently added, Neptune Krill oil, and Guarana pills.

I don't eat a lot of meat. but I love beans and Peanuts. I mostly eat veggie soups, and meatless meat stuff.
like chickenless Mandarin Chicken.
I am. major Juicer. And I mostly eat Organic food. No GMOs

Yesterday I did my first Egg protein treatment. I prefer to use natural products on my hair. But I think i will try the Aphogee Balance Moisturizer, to use after I do another egg treatment, because I know That doesn't have protein in it.

I really appreciate your help ladies.

Oh and to clarify I have very fine hair, but lots of it. No thinning stops, no scalp or nape breakage.

I only use heat like 5 times a year, just to trim. I use a Maxi Glide on #7 2 Passes Only. I tried #5 setting it was too low.

after my protein treatment I braided my hair in no hair added box braids.
I keep my hair in braids, because of all the Zumba classes I teach. All other styles sweat out.

I am going to continue the Egg Protein treatments this month, trim my ends in June. Hopefully my hair will be a little stronger.

Last edited:

BellaMarie

I think you may be trimming your hair way to often. After I learned about proper hair care I waited 1.5 years to trim my hair and that is when I saw the most length. I have ALWAYS trimmed my hair every 6-8 weeks .After I had my daughter my hair only grew 1 inch every three months and could not understand why i did not see any growth.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
The kind of split ends that you show in that picture, is the kind I had when I was blow drying and flat ironing twice a week, every week for about three years. My hair was BSL but about 6 inches was a frayed, split mess that I hi-lighted on top of the other problems. When I found this site, I cut off all of the severe damage and put my blow dryer and flat iron away. It made all the difference in the world. Now my hair is a healthy BSL with very little split ends remaining from the color job.

Give up the heat for a while and add protein. If you have protein issues, try Ion Vegan Protein. I'm very protein sensitive (to the animal proteins) but I can use this one once a week with no problems. It's sold at Sally's.

Good Luck

Amarilles

The daily washing could also be contributing...is it a must to do it daily? Could at least...every 3 days work maybe? I can definitely relate to being very active but the daily manipulation never helps.

If you prefer making your own protein treatment, try getting some hydrolyzed protein. Or gelatin, or even your protein powder that you use on the regular. I'm a personal trainer myself and have all kinds of protein powders to add to my meals. I personally can't add it to my hair products because I have coarse hair, but this you can add to your condish instead of doing egg concoctions. Eggs are unmodified proteins and have limited abilities to add protein to the hair's structure...moreover raw eggs can carry harmful bacteria. Consider adding the actual protein to your condish when doing a PT instead.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Cornrows can KILL fine strands as well. You said you were wearing phony puffs? They can also be a killer, especially the kinky textured ones. I was wearing marley hair as a phoney bun...would you believe that hair tangled with my own and ripped my ends? Noticed it after a week. Now I have to cover my real hair with a piece of satin to protect it.

Is your hair really soft and mushy like a cloud when wet? Is there a lot of breakage on your hands when you wash/condish? That's a sign of moisture overload and protein is key to correcting it. Think about it--not only were you baggying (moisture!) but you work out and sweat a lot (moisture!) plus you do moisture DCs (more moisture!). in fine porous hair this is disaster!

You might want to protein past eggs though (I have to when moisture overloaded and I DO use egg too)--Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor is great for fattening up fine strands and you can use it often. Some of us fine-haireds wear it overnight.

Join us in the "The Original Fine Hair" thread. Your issues are pretty common for us... we'd love to have you!

Thanks Ladies, I should have said something sooner.

I don't cornrow very tightly, I don't use bands on my hair. I cornrow my hair to the crown of my head, the merge all the rows together. I usually wear afro puffs, the are light weight and look like my real hair.

I could use some better quality combs.

My hair will snap off on a dime, one of the reasons I try not to do to much to it.

Thanks for helpful advice. This Hair Journey thing is a life long process.

Braids / cornrows are not always our friends. Does the faux puff come on a french comb? That may be causing mechanical breakage.

Along with all of the other suggestions, especially the need for protein in your regimen, I would wear another style completely.

The daily washing could also be contributing...is it a must to do it daily? Could at least...every 3 days work maybe? I can definitely relate to being very active but the daily manipulation never helps.

If you prefer making your own protein treatment, try getting some hydrolyzed protein. Or gelatin, or even your protein powder that you use on the regular. I'm a personal trainer myself and have all kinds of protein powders to add to my meals. I personally can't add it to my hair products because I have coarse hair, but this you can add to your condish instead of doing egg concoctions. Eggs are unmodified proteins and have limited abilities to add protein to the hair's structure...moreover raw eggs can carry harmful bacteria. Consider adding the actual protein to your condish when doing a PT instead.