Anyone still using Saran Wrap under the dryer?

lana

Hey there, is anyone out there still using saran wrap under the dryer for silky straight results? :look:

I have never tried it, would love to try it this weekend and I want to know your technique and how it works for you.

I would love to hear from someone that does this as a normal part of their haircare routine.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I hope someone explains HOW to do this. I wanted to try this past weekend but had a fight trying to wrap my hair. I finally just gave up.

rririla

This method does NOT WORK FOR ME....initially my rollerset comes out beautiful, and then I put the saran wrap on it and all my work gets sweated out.....smh:perplexed, I have tried the saran wrap tight, loose, hole in the wrap, on the hairline, off the hairline....you name it...it all results in puffy roots for me....hopefully you have better results but as for me...it's a lose lose situation!

nickpoopie

I use this technique all the time but I'm relaxed. However, at the shop I used to go to there was a "natural chica" getting her hair done and my beautician used this method on her as well. The only problem is she used a lot of heat. After washing she blow-dried her hair on high heat, then she took her flat iron and straightened it really good making sure to pay xtra attention to those roots, and finally she wrapped her hair around and applied the saran wrap and put her under the dryer for about 10-15 minutes. Her hair was so bouncy, it looked great. I will give her some credit in that she used a heat serum on each strand before she straightened with the flat iron.

ChristmasCarol

@lana

mzteaze

I use this method. My siggy shows the result of my last rollerset. I just wrap the plastic around a couple times, put another piece on the top and sit under the dryer on med/high for 8 minutes. Doesn't puff up my roots and I can use this method to "retouch" a straight style later in the week, if I notice reversion at the roots.

However, I don't wrap my hair around my head. I make my part where I want it, then comb the hair straight down. After I wrap the plastic, I pull the hair (gently) by the ends until it is very taught under the plastic. HTH

Whole post and pics are here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=14361861#post14361861

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Yes, I do. Place saran wrap over wrapped hair and sit under dryer for ~15 mins.

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

Kneechay

Yup, I do. I was skeptical until I remembered a project we did in grade school to emulate a stained glass. I remember We used foil, saran wrap and put it in some heated oven like thing, and it caused a silkeneing of the foil and the art work. I'm old and it's hard to fully explain but a little heat and saran wrap causes a smoothening effect.

Since I'm natural, my hair tends to have that frizzy, fluffy "natural hair that has been straightened look" and I do this to get it silkier. After ironing, I wrap my hair, rub a couple drops of emollient or a silkening serum, and wrap with one layer of saran wrap pretty tightly and sit under the dryer for 15 min. I then wrap it over night and it's perm-straight and bouncy.

Be careful about being under the dryer too long though, you may start sweating and frizz up your edges.

lana

@lana

@mzteaze

I use this method. My siggy shows the result of my last rollerset. I just wrap the plastic around a couple times, put another piece on the top and sit under the dryer on med/high for 8 minutes. Doesn't puff up my roots and I can use this method to "retouch" a straight style later in the week, if I notice reversion at the roots.

However, I don't wrap my hair around my head. I make my part where I want it, then comb the hair straight down. After I wrap the plastic, I pull the hair (gently) by the ends until it is very taught under the plastic. HTH

Whole post and pics are here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=14361861#post14361861

OMG! Thank you! I'm texlaxed and my texture is 4a/b mostly b and wrapping doesn't work for my hair. It doesn't want to wrap. (lol) I wear it in pincurls or flexirod rollers at night. I haven't wrapped in years and didn't want to start.

But I want to try the "silk wrap" and see if it helps me look a little more "salon finished". I'm loving this hair! I can't wait to try this technique. Thanks again!

classoohfive

This used to work beautifully for me. After my hair became texlaxed, it actually causes my hair to look less sleek, so I stopped using this method & now I just flat iron my roots or wrap overnight to get a sleeker finish.

Thank you for posting this! I tried it a few months ago now that I'm mostly texlaxed and I thought I did something wrong. I think being texlaxed has something to do with it because areas where my hair isn't as thick and is straighter actually came out nice. The rest, not so much. I'll try one more time but I think I'll have to stick to wrapping.

renren

Hi... I will be trying this soon when I get my soft bonnet dryer but I just wanted to share a cheat saran wrap I saw on youtube.... I can't post the link now.. cuz im at the office but basically you use a plastic shower cap.... pulled down really snug... like all the way over your eyes then you tie a hair net over it really tight ... then fold the edges of the cap upwards over the net so you wont have to sit there with the cap over your eyes the whole time..lol

Ill post the link when I get home... or you can search it now... search 'alraines 5 faves/hates beauty product'

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Yup, I do. I was skeptical until I remembered a project we did in grade school to emulate a stained glass. I remember We used foil, saran wrap and put it in some heated oven like thing, and it caused a silkeneing of the foil and the art work. I'm old and it's hard to fully explain but a little heat and saran wrap causes a smoothening effect.

Since I'm natural, my hair tends to have that frizzy, fluffy "natural hair that has been straightened look" and I do this to get it silkier. After ironing, I wrap my hair, rub a couple drops of emollient or a silkening serum, and wrap with one layer of saran wrap pretty tightly and sit under the dryer for 15 min. I then wrap it over night and it's perm-straight and bouncy.

Be careful about being under the dryer too long though, you may start sweating and frizz up your edges.
Girl, your hair looks fantastic!!
ok we see ya...:D

I do the same thing. It works really well after I flat-iron.
However, I wouldn't try it after a rollerset-turns into a frizzy mess. I'd say most naturals and texlaxers have more success just hitting up the roots with the flatiron. works well for me, and I think I may do that regularly this fall/winter, at least outside of weaves.

MACGlossChick

I tried this once using Saran wrap. I didn't do a good job of it, so I left it alone. Then, I saw a product called Hydracap @ Sally's. Its shrinkwrap for your head. Its supposed to be used for conditioning, but it works for saran wraps. I've seen people using it on youtube.

discodumpling

Haven't done a saran wrap this year yet but generally I do it on hair that has been roller set then wrapped. Wrap hair with saran wrap and get under the dryer for about 15-20 more mins. Remove saran wrap and watch hair magically fall into the perfect doobie...LOL! most time I have to finger comb into my doobie but y'all get the picture!