Glamtwinz Straight in Winter Curly in Summer

marta9227

Anyone else have luck with this routine? I recently started watching the Glamtwinz (I know I'm late to the party lol) and apparently they rock their hair straight in the winter and do wash and gos in the summer. I've been protective styling/braidouts for two years, straightening 2-4 times a year for length checks. While I've had great results, I'd like to start enjoying my length more. The twins seem to enjoy great health and retention, can anyone else share success with a similar routine? Thanks and God bless!

Sent from my ice cold evo 3d y'all!

ManeStreet

If you deep condition routinely & dont use extra heat in between wash days then it works. But you also have to use a great heat protectant & leave in cond.

Also, there will be damage to your curl pattern. Notice they have straight pieces when their hair is curly and they curl pattern isnt as curly as it would be without the heat use.

MissMusic

I was thinking about trying a glamtwinz type regimen, 4 months straight and 8 months curly. I was thinking of washing and heat styling every two to three weeks. I think that this might not be as damaging as we think.

I will probably have to trim an inch or two off after the heat months, but I would be willing to do that.

marta9227

I was thinking about trying a glamtwinz type regimen, 4 months straight and 8 months curly. I was thinking of washing and heat styling every two to three weeks. I think that this might not be as damaging as we think.

I will probably have to trim an inch or two off after the heat months, but I would be willing to do that.

I'm hoping to get good retention without having to trim those inches. I think really good deep conditioning and daily m & s would help. We should keep in touch with this, kind of support each other if we both decide to try this regimen!

LoveTheSkinImIn

This is what I'm doing. I'm only straightening once a month for the cold months. I love it because it's low maintenance and allows me to enjoy my length and avoid SSKs

marta9227

This is what I'm doing. I'm only straightening once a month for the cold months. I love it because it's low maintenance and allows me to enjoy my length and avoid SSKs

Do you stretch the straight style for the whole month and if so how? Are you in braidouts in the warm months or wash and gos or what? What's your retention like in the cold months? Spill your reggie lol!

carameldimples

I said I would but haven't straightened yet. It's soooo much work to straighten. I've been bunning lately, but I am DCing right now and **plan** to air dry and straighten tomorrow.

LoveTheSkinImIn

natural_one yep. I use an astringent like Sea Breeze or witch hazel before washing. Then I use castille soap to really get my scalp squeaky clean. I don't use a lot of product on my hair when it's straight (pretty much grapeseed oil only) so I don't get buildup.

Mz.MoMo5235

I don't know who these glam chicks are but I did this reggie one year and it was successful with out damaging my curl pattern and I retained length

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
I do this too, only straighten in cooler months. It's easier and just makes sense to me especially if you live in a humid climate.

MissMusic

Boy do I live in a humid climate!!! I don't expect my hair to stay stick straight more than a week. Once it begins to revert I will do bantu/braid/twist sets and then spend the end of the 3 weeks in fun buns.

Kurlee, I use a hot comb to straighten (don't stone me!), when I want my hair to remain straight. I know hot combs are unpopular on LHCF, but flat irons just don't do a good long term job with my hair, so I end up using more heat than if I had just used a hot comb.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I want to be straight this winter too. I plan to straighten this friday after my steam treatment. I did this a couple of years ago and my hair was fine. I just had to take the time to do steam and protein between each flat iron session. I used Sabino Moisture block which has yet to fail me.

Kurlee

Boy do I live in a humid climate!!! I don't expect my hair to stay stick straight more than a week. Once it begins to revert I will do bantu/braid/twist sets and then spend the end of the 3 weeks in fun buns.

Kurlee, I use a hot comb to straighten (don't stone me!), when I want my hair to remain straight. I know hot combs are unpopular on LHCF, but flat irons just don't do a good long term job with my hair, so I end up using more heat than if I had just used a hot comb.

my hair stays straight as long as I don't work out or have too hot showers or go too high when I wash my face.:look:

ChocoKitty

I've done this method before and it definitely worked for me. I retained length and did not experience damage. Using a heat protectant wasn't enough. The key for me was deep conditioning well. Plus I was faithful to doing "damage control" (i.e. GPB, Aphogee for Damaged Hair) However, I'm not doing it this winter because I'm experimenting with braids.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I did this and lost my texture last year. I had no clue what I was doing.:nono: I will not do that again this journey. I'll stay in protective styles. Those girls have gorgeous hair. Their regimens are certainly working for them.:yep:

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I've been doing this for years and it works for me. I keep it curly in the summer (buns and ponytails) and keep it straight in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone 10 using LHCF

southerncitygirl

i agree that it could work just as long as you stay on your moisture, ceramide, and protein levels. just be careful with protecting those ends from wool coats and scarves.

marta9227

I've been doing this for years and it works for me. I keep it curly in the summer (buns and ponytails) and keep it straight in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone 10 using LHCF

Well I'm sold then! Lol! I really want this to work. The summer braidouts were cool, but I need some time to enjoy my hair too.

ChocoKitty

@ChocoKitty How often did you heat style? Once a week? In other words, what was your heat regimen?

Once a week.

I would apply my deep conditioner prior to shampooing. It was a mix of Lekair Cholesterol, Coconut Milk, Lime + Honey applied to dry hair with a tint brush. I would braid my hair into 4 sections. Slap on a plastic cap or wrap my hair in saran wrap. Sit under a hard bonnet dryer for at least 15 mins or until I couldn't stand the drips anymore. Using this mix "relaxed" curl making it easier for me straighten.

Rinse the braids with warm water. Then shampoo and follow up with a regular conditioner. Detangle, apply heat protectant, then smooth and twist my hair into four sections. Air dry until at least 60-70 percent dry. Blow dry using the tension method then flat iron.

I no longer blow dry when I straigten or use the conditioner mix. I still twist and smooth but wrap my ends on perm rods. I flatiron with a wet/dry iron on 70-80% dry hair.]

As far as protein, I try to use Aphogee for Damaged hair at least once a month.

Hope this helps.

getoffmylawn

I don't know if I'd follow their methods. I just watched a video about a messy bun and that girl's hair looked pretty bad in its curly state.

marta9227

But have you seen how long and thick their hair is straight? I don't know, maybe a little heat damage is inevitable with years of heat use, regardless of how infrequent?

ManeStreet

I don't know if I'd follow their methods. I just watched a video about a messy bun and that girl's hair looked pretty bad in its curly state.

it depends on if you want to wear wash & gos or not. if you don't, then it doesn't matter. if you only wear braid outs or twist outs you won't notice

MissMusic

getoffmylawn, they're hair looks that way because they still have relaxed ends.I think if they snipped them off, it wouldn't look so bad curly. They are type 3, so those relaxed ends do weight down their hair a good bit.

Plus they do the opposite of what we are suggesting, they only wear their hair curly for 4 months out of the year, and they don't really deep condition much either. Regardless, they're hair has grown so much since they began their channel, so I can't really argue with their methods.