Hip Length (HL) 2013 Challenge!!

Whimsy

YOU CAN JOIN AT ANY TIME!!

Anyone down in joining me?!

Let's get hair down to our hips in 2013!!

If you're down, THANK THIS THREAD so we know you're participating (or supporting the challengers)

Let us know:

• your current hair length (include photo)
  • current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?)
  • current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc)
  • current regimen and products
  • future regimen changes/plans (if any)
  • long term plan for 2013 to reach hip
  • post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc)
  • Anything else you'd like to add about your hair or length goals/plans

This post will require monthly check ins to let us all know how you're doing and any tweaks you've made to your regimen

Our length checks will be quarterly
, and require photos!:grin:

Length Check / Photo Dates
Jan 1 2013 - Official Start date

April 1

July 1

October 1

December 31 2013 - Official End date

Who's with me?! Let's do this ladies!!!

Last edited:

Whimsy

*hears crickets*

ANYBODY!??!!

----------------------------------
your current hair length (include photo)
I'm finally back to waistlength (justabout)

current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?)

Natural and will be color treated soon

current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc)
post partum shedding, post partum texture changes, super dry as usual

current regimen and products
weekly washing, deep conditioning, moisturizing, airdrying in a few braids, flatironing and wearing straight for the week.
(this is my cool/cold weather regimen)
oil the ends every other night, and oil bits of my scalp that may feel itchy or dry during the week if necessary.
don't have standard products anymore now that I'm reviewing more and more new stuff.

future regimen changes/plans (if any)
none to speak of, I'll be doing this regi until the weather warms up in May or so of next year.
there may be a few weeks where I'll wear my hair curly and bunned up just to switch from the weekly flatironing.
oh and i'm going to start taking a multi again. I stopped after my son was born (4 months ago) and I really need to start again.

long term plan for 2013 to reach hip

keeping my regimen the same, going to get a slight trim soon,

post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc)

i'm debating whether I should cut 10 inches off to donate after I reach hip, and then grow back to hip and maintain there. Or if I'll cut and keep it short for a while...or if I'll go crazy and try to get to tail bone and classic length.

Anything else you'd like to add about your hair or length goals/plans

Nothing much to add, I'm just hair-ADD so I'll probably want to cut or something. I'm fighting the urge to cut now so I'm just gunna color it to cure my itch for change.

Last edited:

Forever in Bloom

I'd like to join. Currently at waist length. I'll be back with more :)

Your current hair length (include photo): Just made waist length, but alas, I cannot post any pics until this HYH Challenge has finished.

Current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?) Natural

Current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc) Nothing too bad. My hair gets dry towards the end of the week, but I've been combating that for a while by spraying with moisturizing sprays on my ends and then putting a satin bonnet on at night

Current regimen and products: I wash once a week, usually on Sundays. I have been finger detangling for about 4 months now and any breakage I had has decreased significantly. I've been using the same products for months now and don't waste my time with growth aides anymore, because I'm too lazy to apply consistently. I pre-poo/finger detangle my hair prior to washing using either coconut oil and water or Tresemme conditioner to help me remove shed hairs.

I wash with Wen cleansing conditioner (I have a few of the flavors, but have been using Wen 613 almost exclusively to cleanse my hair and scalp.). Shampoo has become all but a distant memory :yep:. I then follow up with Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner. After rinsing that out I use Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm - my love for the past 3 years :love: and sit under the steamer for 20 minutes, pop on a plastic cap, and then go under the dryer for 40 minutes to an hour. This makes my hair super slick and moisturized! After rinsing with cold water, I apply a leave in conditioner (I've been using KeraCare's Natural Textures Leave-in) and MyHoneyChild's Twisting Creme to twist my hair, and then air dry - two-strand twists are my staple style. I trim when necessary, which is pretty much every day that I style my twists in a different way. I usually run my fingers up and down sections of hair to feel for any knots or crazy splits that I can trim off

Future regimen changes/plans (if any): I've been thing about trying buns, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll most likely keep doing what I'm doing

Long term plan for 2013 to reach hip: Continue washing weekly. I'm also getting better with taking my supplements (bamboo, fish oil, and a Shakeology shake everyday). I haven't used direct heat since January 2nd of this year, and don't have any plans to straighten any time soon. I'm starting up exercise again to increase circulation.

Post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc) I might cut to even out. Right now my hair is in a U shape and I like it. My longest layers are at waist length and the shortest are at BSL

Anything else you'd like to add about your hair or length goals/plans:
Very excited about this journey. I never thought I'd have hair this long. I'm pleased with myself for sticking it out!

startingpic031713.jpg

Last edited:

againstallodds

You know what, I'll join! My goal length is W/hip but I want thick, even ends at that length, so I think I'd like to grow to HL and then cut to have awesome ends. I'm grazing WL now and I think i'll make WL by end of this year so I think HL at the end of 2013 is feasible.

Current length grazing WL

current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?) Mostly texlaxed, ~5 inches of bone straight ends
current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc) None
current regimen and products Can be found here.
future regimen changes/plans (if any) None.
long term plan for 2013 to reach hip Consistently follow my regimen. Protective style like it's my job.
post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc) Cut to W/hip

Last edited:

blackindia07

Hey Whimsy girl! Id like to join...in the 4 years (I think) Ive been on this site this will be my first challenge! LOL

current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?) Mostly texlaxed, ~5 minutes of bone straight ends (sorry @againtallodds I had to steal your answer LOL) and currently 20 weeks post
current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc) Had a minor set back of my own making...was using roux porosity control too often which cause major dryness and breakage. :perplexed So Im starting this challenged a little thinner than usual.
current regimen and products I dont know that I even have one anymore since my daughters birth...I just do what I can when I can. :look:
future regimen changes/plans (if any) What Im HOPING to do is wash every 2 weeks, prepoo with avocado, coconut milk and oils, dc, rollerset, moisturize with a whipped avocado/shea butter that I made and bun.
long term plan for 2013 to reach hip I plan on PSing this winter for the first time ever. Ive said I was going to try it before but have never actually done it because I like my hair out. But after my setback I feel like I need to give my hair a break or Im going to have to end up cutting it off and I would HATE to have to do that so close to my goal.
post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc) Not really sure...I guess Ill just let it grow as long as I can maintain it.

Last edited:

Gracie

Count me in.

Natural

current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc) Shrinkage, tangles

current regimen
My Reggie typically depends on how I plan to wear my hair. When I straighten my hair I deep condition, leave in conditioner and detangle weekly and oil daily. When I wear it curly I cowash, detangle, and oil daily deep condition weekly

Once I use up my stash i will be shopping around for a deep conditioner. Trimming more often

long term plan for 2013
Find easy, flattering protective styles.

Maintain

NaturalJael

Whimsy said:
Anyone down in joining me?!

Let's get hair down to our hips in 2013!!

Let us know:

[*]your current hair length (include photo)

[*]current hair status (natural)

[*]current hair issues

[*]current regimen and products:

[*]future regimen changes/plans (if any):

[*]long term plan for 2013 to reach hip:

[*]post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc)

[*]your current hair length-MBL

image-3379773221.jpg

[*]current hair status (natural)

[*]current hair issues- none to report at the moment. actually, we are good right now.

[*]current regimen and products: this will always be a work in progress:
Currently:
Wash and condition once a week
Moisturize hair at least once a week
Protein treatments every 2-3 months
Protect styling daily
Wear protective styles majority if times. I will wear it loose in special occasions.

Products:
Wen and Wen 613
Aphogee
Almond oil and Shea butter

To simplify regimen and products even more if possible.

Protective styling
Exercise
Maximize protein consumption

Eventually, I will cut my hair to a blunt cut or into very soft layers. However, I do want it to grow as long as it can.

SmilingElephant

Im in!! I'll be back to type everything else out after work tonite.

Long story short...:look:....i just want to grow to hip and then i want a nice u shape trim at Whip length.

Sent from my Teleportation Device

SmilingElephant

Im in!! I'll be back to type everything else out after work tonite.

Long story short...:look:....i just want to grow to hip and then i want a nice u shape trim at Whip length.

Sent from my Teleportation Device

[*]your current hair length (include photo)
My current length is BSL...not too far from MBL.

[*]current hair status
My hair is natural

[*]current hair issues
I am having issues right now with shedding :( I'm guessing its from stress.

[*]current regimen and products:
Every 3-4 months i seem to rotate my staples. I was loving Tresemme Naturals but my hair become over conditioned...so recently i have been using the HE Honey I'm Strong conditioner and it does help bring my hair back to life:yep:

I wear my hair in a Wash n Go 90% of the time.
-Section my hair in half
-Co wash
-Detangle with the thick conditioner and my fingers
-Reapply thick conditioner after rinsing out first application, let it sit while i shower
-Rinse well and apply leave in...or don't rinse too well and leave some conditioner in
-Rake gel through hair and go

I also bun my curls up sometimes after day 1 and can go 3-5 days before redoing my WnG.:D

I use shampoo every 1-2 weeks, and deep condition every 1-2 weeks as well.

I blowdry/flat iron like 3 times out the year. Sometimes i wear twists but not often.

I am thinking about investing in DevaCurl/DevaCare products...my hair seems to really like that line:yep: I think once i reach WL...i'll start stretching my hair and braiding it at nite.

Continue to wear my hair curly until it starts to become a big problem. Then i'll start either keeping it stretched or just always wear it up.

I want to get to hip length just to be able to have fresh ends at whip length and maintain there:yep:

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'm in! :yep:

your current hair length (include photo) ~ bsl (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/tonia1c/10-20-12.jpg)

current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?) ~ Natural

current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc) ~ n/a
current regimen and products ~ cowash (suave coconut, v05 Tea Therapy, MillCreek Bioting) 1-2x wk, DC (homemade mix) weekly, airdry, m&s (Giovanni Direct, WGO), sulfur growth mix 3-5x/wk)
future regimen changes/plans (if any) ~avocado butter and reluctantly considering WEN 613

long term plan for 2013 to reach hip ~consistent regi, proper hydration (water), ps'g (if I can get hubby off my back about wearing my hair out), Bikram yoga, clean eating (well...clean enough eating. :look:)

post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc) ~I'll let you know when I get there but, my current plan is to grow to hip and cut back to whip. But since I won't be wearing it straight much, I may need to go longer. :)rolleyes:)

Anything else you'd like to add about your hair or length goals/plans. ~judging my first month post bc growth, I expect to maintain a good growth rate and will mainly focus on retention.

LaFemmeNaturelle

your current hair length (include photo)--Waist length. Pic attached.
current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?)--Natural
current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc)After taking these twists out, I have a bunch of knots-->breakage. I anticipate more dryness as I add blowdrying to my regimen. Hopefully not but if so, I will work to alleviate it.
current regimen and productsPre-poo and detangle with conditioner, wash once a month with a sulfate poo, condition with ORS Replenishing conditioner, follow up with French Perm stabilizer, apply leave ins, air dry in braids or blow dry(new addition starting this week), low-manipulation 100%, protective style 90%
future regimen changes/plans (if any)I will keep this regimen for a year. If I don't get to hip length, I know I need to switch things up
long term plan for 2013 to reach hipKeep up with reggie or change if hair begins to suffer, eat well, exercise
post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc)Maintain

Attachments

• photo (45).JPG
    photo (45).JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

bryantgurls

I'm in!

your current hair length (include photo): MBL

current hair status (natural, transitioning, relaxed, texlaxed?): Relaxed

current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc): In need of a trim, thanks to splits :)

current regimen and products: Shampoo w/ Nutrine garlic shampoo and DC (ORS replenishing conditioner) once a week, moisturize and seal daily w/ Scurl and coconut/olive oil, apply sulfur mix 2x a week, tea rinse/spritz 2x a week

future regimen changes/plans (if any): Use less heat and airdry more, stop wearing my hair out soooo much... need to PS

long term plan for 2013 to reach hip: same as above

post-hip plans (maintain? keep growing? cut? etc): I plan to maintain a hip length

Last edited:

marta9227

your current hair length (include photo: at end of post) MBL
I'm about an inch and a half to two inches longer than this, the pic was taken in July. I'm pretty close to waist length at this time, confident I'll make it by the end of 2012. I'll get a more current pic taken.

Transitioning 1 year post at the end of this month!

current hair issues (dryness, breakage, etc)
A little shedding but I attribute it to my nightly application of my sulfur mix.

current regimen
weekly washing, deep conditioning, moisturizing, airdrying in bands, braidout, m & s and re braid nightly. I'm a PJ so I tend to rotate products.

This regi is really working for me. I've only straightened two or three times in the year I've been transitioning, I may allow myself to do so a little more often in the colder weather.

long term plan for 2013 to reach hip
keeping my regimen the same.

I'll probably maintain, although who knows because at one point waist seemed so unattainable I planned to maintain there lol! My husband would like me to keep going. No BC plans as of yet, just slowly trimming the ends off at this point.
Yay! HHJ everyone!

ForumRunner_20121021_193354.jpg

Sent from my ice cold evo 3d y'all!

blackindia07

Bump! Where y'all at? Let's get some more in here!

FOR REAL!!! the WL 2013 thread is blowing us out the water!!! LOL

I washed and set my hair this weekend and Im SO disappointed! Usually my hair thrives in the summer from all the deep conditioning, no heat and cowashing but thanks to 2 seperate small setbacks it feels like one big one.

In the spring I had been using too much Roux porosity control which caused dryness and breakage. But it took a while before I figured that out. The second one...Oh I hate to say this...I think it due to my beloved coconut milk!!! :cry2: I find that after I prepoo my hair has been matted and VERY difficult to detangle even after I poo and condition. 2 weeks ago when I prepooed I was in a rush and didnt add my usual honey or coconut milk and my hair came out silky smooth! I refused to believe it was my baby daddy coconut milk and chalked it up to the honey (i mean it is sticky right LOL). So this week I prepooed without the honey and my hair was matted again! OH COCONUT MILK WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME???? Im hoping that its just the brand that Ive been using... But next weekend when I wash I wont use any at all and see what happens.

Anyway after washing and setting my hair it is noticebly thinner...at least to me. I knew a lot of hair was coming out when I detangled but my WnGs were still full so I didnt think too much of it.

So I will be starting this challenge...challenged. :nono:

NaturalJael

blackindia07 said:
FOR REAL!!! the WL 2013 thread is blowing us out the water!!! LOL

I washed and set my hair this weekend and Im SO disappointed! Usually my hair thrives in the summer from all the deep conditioning, no heat and cowashing but thanks to 2 seperate small setbacks it feels like one big one.

In the spring I had been using too much Roux porosity control which caused dryness and breakage. But it took a while before I figured that out. The second one...Oh I hate to say this...I think it due to my beloved coconut milk!!! :cry2: I find that after I prepoo my hair has been matted and VERY difficult to detangle even after I poo and condition. 2 weeks ago when I prepooed I was in a rush and didnt add my usual honey or coconut milk and my hair came out silky smooth! I refused to believe it was my baby daddy coconut milk and chalked it up to the honey (i mean it is sticky right LOL). So this week I prepooed without the honey and my hair was matted again! OH COCONUT MILK WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME???? Im hoping that its just the brand that Ive been using... But next weekend when I wash I wont use any at all and see what happens.

Anyway after washing and setting my hair it is noticebly thinner...at least to me. I knew a lot of hair was coming out when I detangled but my WnGs were still full so I didnt think too much of it.

So I will be starting this challenge...challenged. :nono:

What brand do you use? I love coconut milk! I use Thai Kitchen . As a bonus, I let the coconut cream marinate my tresses. It makes my hair feel good and soft.

marta9227

I was thinking of trying coconut milk but maybe I'll hold off till you get to the bottom of that lol

blackindia07

What brand do you use? I love coconut milk! I use Thai Kitchen . As a bonus, I let the coconut cream marinate my tresses. It makes my hair feel good and soft.

That brand DEF sounds familiar...I know Ive used it but not sure if thats what Ive been using most of the summer. I stocked up on a brand that was on sale. Will post tomorrow after I check out the fridge.

Ive been using coconut milk in my prepoo for years so Im pretty confused. I would have never even considered that thats what it was until I left it out a couple of weeks ago and my hair was soft.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I'm in but wont have a starting pic until the new year when I get a fresh relaxer. At that time I will post a pic & answer the questions. ;)