Summer 2012 No Heat Challenge

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Anyone interested?
I try to do this every summer, and it's nice to have a challenge to keep me on track.
Really simple guidelines:
-3 direct heat passes
-post a starting picture if you want
-Indirect heat (hooded dryer) is fine, but try to achieve air-dried styles without relying on it. I know this will be a challenge for me.
-Post pictures of your cute heatless summer styles if you want!

UPDATE: OFFICIAL DATES FOR THIS CHALLENGE: 6/20/2012-9/21/2012

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
summer officially starts June 20, but I guess we can officially start May 20. one month early lol.

isawstars

I'm IN! And I don't plan to use any of the heat passes. Last week, I actually flat ironed my hair for the first time in 6 months. I'll come back and post my "start" pics.

I'm excited to see everyone's cute summer styles.

Angelinhell

I'm in! I will probably be getting senegalese twists soon, and keep them the whole summer or until I reach my first goal of apl(getting them redone of course). Or would that be cheating?:look:

jessicarabbit

im in! im only usuing one heat pass when i relax at the end of june. i plan on wiggin it with cornrows underneath for the summer. starting pics in profile

EbonyCPrincess

I'm totally in! I don't want to use any heat passes, but if I do it will be just one because I plan on getting a haircut at the start of summer and the stylist may need to flat iron. But beyond that I don't plan on using any heat at all. I will take my starting photo at the beginning of the summer.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my hair yet, probably some u-part wigs and rollersets.

ETA: Here are my recent flat iron and length check photos. I will not use direct heat at all this summer (June 21 - Sept 22).

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I'm in! I will probably be getting senegalese twists soon, and keep them the whole summer or until I reach my first goal of apl(getting them redone of course). Or would that be cheating?:look:
lol of course not!
i wish i had the discipline to keep in my yarn twists all summer but i probably won't. :look:

alove15

I'm in as well! I definitely want to cut out heat this summer. My ends need it. Im most likely wearing twist outs, braid outs and buns all summer.
ETA:
External Regimen:
-DC with AO GPB and AOHSR, (on dry hair before each cowash)
-Cowash w/ Giovanni (SAS or 50/50) or Tresemme Naturals NM 1-2x a week
- Leave-in Oyin Hair Dew
- Stretch hair with twists or braids using Shea moisture curling smoothie or Oyin burnt sugar pomade
-Twist/braid nightly or low pigtails for multiple day hair, Moisturize and seal daily w/ water and coconut oil
-Clarify w/ diluted ACV (every 1-2 months)

Internal Regimen:
Errr...Try to stay hydrated, keep up with my protein and b12, try to finish this big a$$ bottle of msm, daily exercise

Goals: BSL by the end of the summer!

Attachments

• image-349213039.jpg
    image-349213039.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Philippians413

I'm in. I've been OD'ing on heat and my hair isn't happy about that at all.

ETA the following:
External Regimen-Wash and DC once a week. I'll be using Silk Dreams Go Moist Shampoo as well as SD's Vanilla Silk Cream. Co-wash mid week if needed with SD's Destination Hydration condish. Moisturize and Seal ends daily with water and castor oil mixed with SD's Nourish Oil. I'll be doing buns and up-dos mostly...some twist outs here and there.
Internal Regimen-I plan on going back on the South Beach Diet and taking walks daily.
Goals for the summer-To reach BSL (and lose 15-20 lbs).
Starting pic if you want.

Last edited:

xu93texas

I'm in. I'll probably use two heat passes.

What are the exact dates for the challenge?? Is it from May 20 through August or September?

CurlsBazillion

I'm in, this was my plan for the summer anyway. I might straighten for the reveal in the HYH challenge next month but that would be it.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I'm in. I'll probably use two heat passes.

What are the exact dates for the challenge?? Is it from May 20 through August or September?
I guess we do May 20 through September 1. Summer officially ends September 21, but uh....I don't think I can make it that long.:look:

Ladies, if you don't mind, I'd like us to just fill out a few things. This isn't a super structured challenge by any means, but I'd like us to share some info.
External Regimen-what you'll be doing to your hair. Wash schedule, staple styles, products, etc.
Internal Regimen-what you'll be doing for your overall health...that may just happen to benefit your hair. e.g. eating healthy, exercising daily, drinking lots of water, etc.
Goals for the summer-Length goal, styling goal, etc.
Starting pic if you want.
Thanks!

External: Shampoo once a month, Co-wash twice a week, DC once every two weeks, henna when the mood hits, moisturize and seal at least once a day, air dry

Internal: Exercise five days a week, at least 80 oz. of water, eating healthily (I do this year round)

Goals: Not really focused on length at the moment since I'm still transitioning and snipping as I go. I would like to continue my thickness goal, which is coming along as my transition continues.

itismehmmkay

I'm in! I usually daily wash and airdry overnight anyway. Funny cause I had just said that maybe over the weekend I wouldn't wash it and maybe put some heat on it so it'll last, but maybe this is my sign not to do that :scratchch I'll figure it out and improvise?

And is this for 3mths....so a direct heat pass each month?

Oh and starting pics in my profile. I'll take some new pics with my next relaxer.

Jewell

Im in!

External: Co-washing with Lisa Rachel Cleansing Conditioners or cheapies like HE HH once or twice a week, styling by leaving in a bit of cond, pulling back into a loose bun with a Scunci rubber elastic, ends will be twisted together and wrapped into a bun after sealing with shea butter and coconut oil. Shampoo will be diluted (1 oz to 8 oz water) and used once per month.

Internal: Pre-natal vits (8 wks pregnant), garlic oil softgels, 1.2 mg folic acid a day, calcium/zinc/magnesium caplets, 2+ liters of water per day, fish oil softgels.
Eating lots of protein from beans, fish, chicken, turkey, small amts of lean pork, fully cooked seafood, lots of fruit, salads, veggies, esp. greens. Reducing sodium consumption.

Goals: Fewer ssks, length of TBL by December 31, 2012. Praying postpartum shedding will not rear its ugly head! Want BSL unstretched hair by June 2013. Still hovering right about APL while shrunken [le sigh].

Last edited:

xu93texas

I guess we do May 20 through September 1. Summer officially ends September 21, but uh....I don't think I can make it that long.:look:

Ladies, if you don't mind, I'd like us to just fill out a few things. This isn't a super structured challenge by any means, but I'd like us to share some info.
External Regimen-what you'll be doing to your hair. Wash schedule, staple styles, products, etc. I'll be washing once weekly and CW once a week. I DC on dry hair for an hour prior to wash/co-wash. Once this sew-in comes out, I'll be rocking wigs. I'm getting ready to venture into ayurvedic products. I'll be using various conditioners/leave-ins to reduce my stash.
Internal Regimen-what you'll be doing for your overall health...that may just happen to benefit your hair. e.g. eating healthy, exercising daily, drinking lots of water, etc. I plan to continue drinking plenty of water, taking prenatal vitamin, silica, zinc, msm, biotin, and vit.C. I'll be exercising and trying to eat right.
Goals for the summer-Length goal, styling goal, etc. My current length is my avatar. I need 2 inches to get to full SL on my length check T-shirt. I hope to reach that goal by the end of July or early August.
Starting pic if you want. See avatar

Thanks!

I'm glad for the heat passes. I just remembered I have a couple of special events this summer that would require a trip to the salon.

lacreolegurl

External - I plan to continue wearing my wash-n-goes. I will increase my deep conditioning frequency. I generally flatiron once a month, just to see where I am and what my ends look like.

Internal - Continue to eat clean and exercise a minimum of 3x a week.

Length goal - I'm in the MBL 2012 challenge. I'm hoping to be much closer to that goal by 9/1! I'm natural with long layers...my shortest ones are SL, the longest are BSL.

I made an appt. next week to have my hair dyed. I'll post a starting pic after that.:yep:

HHG!

Jewell

Wore my hair straightened for a month straight (4/8 -5/7)- and then I was ready to have my curls & waves back.

Though DF prefers my hair straightened, the humidity here would make it a huge waste of time n effort to flat-iron regularly over the summer. So this no-heat challenge shall be easy as pie for me.

I love my easy-breezy regi of cw'ing, adding a bit of gel to the edges, wet bunning, or putting my hair up in a clip to air-dry. No muss, no fuss, and it lasts all week with just a bit of ORS Edge Control added here n there.

KurlyNinja

I'm in. WnG season is in full affect. And I'm looking into curlformers to stretch my hair. I already dont use heat that often any way and I always go 100% heat free in the summer so I'm ready!