Votes: 26 8.3%
  • 4-5 years

Votes: 20 6.4%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 80 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FoxxyLocs

This was brought up in the relaxed/natural thread, so I thought I'd post a separate poll. Please tell us how long you've been natural and feel free to share any tips/tricks/advice/stories from your natural journey. There's a poll option for transitioners too.

adamson

I've been natural for about 8 years - I'm young so this may not count. When I was in the sixth or seventh grade, I wanted a perm so badly and my mom finally obliged. But she started making me wear braids because I had no clue what I was doing with my hair, and I basically transitioned out.

If I have any tips, they would be:

-Low manipulation. It helps to keep my hair as thick as possible. I already have pretty thick hair, but I like it to look as thick as possible :look: Using low-comb or no-comb methods of styling helps even more.

-Low usage of heat. Maybe it's just me, but I get hair that is less healthy, dryer, and more brittle. Also causes splits for most.

-If you use an oil, try using one with ceramides :) I love it!

-Don't be nervous wearing your natural hair out. It can be pretty daunting the first time, but it feels so great to do so!

and...

-If your family/acquaintances don't like your hair and want you to continously straighten/relax, I wouldn't acquiesce. It's your hair and you should be able to do what you want with it!

BERlin

My natural anniversary was in February; my big chop anniversary is in August. I selected 6-12 months nonetheless.

Mane.Attraction

I cannot wait to see how much hair I have by the time I reach my 2nd Natural-versary! I'm trying to retain every inch this year because I slacked off last year, in my opinion..smh :(

Renewed1

Since 3/25/09 it has been a long road of figuring out what my hair likes and don't like. But it's all good. Will I stay natural forever....don't know. But I may go another 2 to 3 years. It depends on the thickness of my hair.

LilMissRed

Well I started wearing 'MY' hair Jan'10. I never BC'd, BUT I was au naturale. while transitioning from Oct'08-Jan '10 I trimmed frequently

temfash

I've been natural for about 8 years - I'm young so this may not count. When I was in the sixth or seventh grade, I wanted a perm so badly and my mom finally obliged. But she started making me wear braids because I had no clue what I was doing with my hair, and I basically transitioned out.

If I have any tips, they would be:

-Low manipulation. It helps to keep my hair as thick as possible. I already have pretty thick hair, but I like it to look as thick as possible :look: Using low-comb or no-comb methods of styling helps even more.

-Low usage of heat. Maybe it's just me, but I get hair that is less healthy, dryer, and more brittle. Also causes splits for most.
-If you use an oil, try using one with ceramides :) I love it!

-Don't be nervous wearing your natural hair out. It can be pretty daunting the first time, but it feels so great to do so!

and...

-If your family/acquaintances don't like your hair and want you to continously straighten/relax, I wouldn't acquiesce. It's your hair and you should be able to do what you want with it!

Great simple and easy tips:grin:

MzSwift

I shaved my head in June 2009 to 1/4". I hit CBL in November 2010 and APL in April 2011 in my nape.

I credit my retention mainly to technique. I primarily finger comb/detangle. And I keep my hair in low manipulation styles (cornrows and wigs/headwraps, braid/twist extensions and mini braids). I M&S twice per day, wash and DC once per week and throw in water rinsing or cowashing as I see fit.

The only product/ingredient that I feel has helped with the health and appearance of my hair is when I started incorporating ayurveda powders. I add them to my poo, condish and sealing oil.

LongLeggedLife

BC'd in 1998, was natural for 10 years til I got a short cut in 2008(worse decision I ever made LOL)...Chopped again after about 3-5mos, now I have been natural again for a lil over two years.

JessieLeleB

last perm sept '10 BC in Feb '11, it's almost longer than I every had it relaxed, but I always cut off my hair when I was too stressed anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
The researcher in me just wants to say that your poll is not mutually exclusive, i.e, I can select 0-6 months and 6-12 months.

Any who, I am in this thing 5 years. BC'd in September 2006.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
How do you count how long you have been natural?

some people transition forever and only have 2
strangs of relaxed hair and cut them off and then they have only been natural for a month yet have hair down their back.... That doesnt make sense to me.

Also what about flip floppers? do you count up all of the times you have been natural(cumulative naturalness) or just the longest one or the current stint of naturalness?

Just to make it easy to i say I have not been relaxed for the majority of my life.

Last edited: