Very Tender Scalp

ProductJunkie

Can anyone give me advice about my scalp?

Anytime I part my hair and style it outside of my normal side part or anytime I use a bobby pin I can't keep my hair in that style longer than a few hours.

I put my bobby pins in super loose to the point that my hair is not secured as tightly as I want. Sill hurts like crazy. I styled my hair in two loose high buns to stretch my twist out and by the end of the day along the part was sore and tender.

I've experienced this most of my life... When I was relaxed I would cringe when I took down my wrap to the point that I stopped wrapping my hair because it would cause my scalp to hurt so much. I've always been tender headed when getting my hair done but I'm wondering if anything could be done to help with this. It has no hindered growth, thickness or the overall health of my scalp.

LdyKamz

My scalp gets like that every now and then too. There could be a number of reasons. For me, I noticed it may be because my hair is so used to laying a certain way that when I have to comb or part in another spot it hurts. Have you tried scalp massages with oils?

I'm not much help so maybe some of the other ladies will chime in.

LovelyLouboutin

It might mean the tender area has had to much manipulation. Try scalp massages with a scalp stimulating oil( like Njoys oil). Try to keep your hair parted in the way that hurts the least. And if it continues you might want to see a Derm/dr.

ProductJunkie

It might mean the tender area has had to much manipulation. Try scalp massages with a scalp stimulating oil( like Njoys oil). Try to keep your hair parted in the way that hurts the least. And if it continues you might want to see a Derm/dr.

I don't think its manipulation as I limit manipulation of my hair as much as possible. I rarely wear parted styles aside from my side part in the front but I've been wanting to more often.

I've def been looking at derms to go to I'm just afraid to put any meds or chemicals on my scalp especially because aside from being tender when manipulated I don't have and issues with my hair / scalp.

Maybe I will bump up the massages... I massage 1x a week with coconut oil and castor oil...

Beamodel

Mines was recently like this and I had no clue why. The only thing I could think of was my scalp hadn't been thoroughly cleansed in a while so I had did that and it stopped a day later.

hnntrr

I don't think its manipulation as I limit manipulation of my hair as much as possible. I rarely wear parted styles aside from my side part in the front but I've been wanting to more often.

I've def been looking at derms to go to I'm just afraid to put any meds or chemicals on my scalp especially because aside from being tender when manipulated I don't have and issues with my hair / scalp.

Maybe I will bump up the massages... I massage 1x a week with coconut oil and castor oil...

My mother had this issue, turned out she is allergic to nickel and a lot of bobby pins are nickel coated.

Can you wear cheap earrings without your ears itching? (if you wear earrings) It may be a nickel or, reaction to one of the metals in the bobby pin.

ProductJunkie

My mother had this issue, turned out she is allergic to nickel and a lot of bobby pins are nickel coated.

Can you wear cheap earrings without your ears itching? (if you wear earrings) It may be a nickel or, reaction to one of the metals in the bobby pin.

I wonder if this is it. I can wear them in my 1st hole... I had a silver allergy as I child so my mom kept my in gold. When I got my 2nd piercing in high school it never healed right and would bleed when I worse cheap earrings. To this day I can only wear gold in that hole. If i wear any other earring I get discharge and I feel like it never really healed.

That would explain the bobby pin thing because no matter how lose I wear them if it is anywhere near my scalp I have issues. I can use them to secure my bun but I usually attach it to my ponytail holder because I know eventually it will hurt my scalp and I will want to rip them out.

That could also explain why wrapping my hair was a nightmare. There could be something else going on with conjunction with that because my scalp also hurts if I part my hair into pigtails or something.

IMFOCSD

hi, usually when areas of my scalp gets like this breakage eventually follows. i actually have a slightly sore area now so i washed and DC'd overnight, hopefully i wont experience in setbacks.

Duchess007

I have this issue too. Not sure why this is, because I keep it pretty basic, style-wise. It's just in my crown area. :-/

I have been doing inverted massage this week and will try to massage daily, even when I'm not inverting. Doesn't stop the sensitivity in that area, tho.

I concur with your reasoning re the dermatologist.

I don't use pins (just ouchless bands for buns).

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

ProductJunkie

hi, usually when areas of my scalp gets like this breakage eventually follows. i actually have a slightly sore area now so i washed and DC'd overnight, hopefully i wont experience in setbacks.

Oh No! :blush: I have never experienced any sort of breakage related to the soreness... Its just something that I dealt with my whole life...

I also don't have issues with single braids/twists... Mostly styles when bobby pins are used near the scalp. I'm going to test out this theory and see if I have an allergy.

BonBon

My scalp is like this when I part it. but only towards the back. I hate it but have no idea why it's like that.

ProductJunkie

I have this issue too. Not sure why this is, because I keep it pretty basic, style-wise. It's just in my crown area. :-/

I have been doing inverted massage this week and will try to massage daily, even when I'm not inverting. Doesn't stop the sensitivity in that area, tho.

I concur with your reasoning re the dermatologist.

I don't use pins (just ouchless bands for buns).

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm going to try and do more scalp massages as well. I am just so tired during the week and I try my best not to touch my hair when I'm tired because I don't want to rush and cause damage. But I want to be able to do more styles without wanting to rip out the pins!

hnntrr

Yeah mine used to be like that too. Id wear bobby pins and have super bad headaches or my scalp would be tender.

Now I use the ones that are rubber coated.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
wow that bobby pin/nickel issue might be my problem as well because the soreness only happens when I wear hair pins and I NEVER wear mine tight. and my ears hurt a lot when I wear cheap earrings.

iVR

Use a ginger root tea rinse. Buy some ginger root (organic powder works too but you have to strain it with cheese cloth) chop it up and add to boiling water for 10 min. Let sit ten min then remove ginger. Let cool pour rinse on scalp, let sit 30 min, and then rinse out. Works best on a clean scalp. When you initially start it you need to do it 3x a week, but after 2 or 3 weeks you can do it once or twice a week. I've always been super tendered headed and came across this a few months ago. I posted a thread about it too since I found more than one method that works. I think it's called Calling All Tendered Headed People or something like that. Best of luck.

ProductJunkie

Use a ginger root tea rinse. Buy some ginger root (organic powder works too but you have to strain it with cheese cloth) chop it up and add to boiling water for 10 min. Let sit ten min then remove ginger. Let cool pour rinse on scalp, let sit 30 min, and then rinse out. Works best on a clean scalp. When you initially start it you need to do it 3x a week, but after 2 or 3 weeks you can do it once or twice a week. I've always been super tendered headed and came across this a few months ago. I posted a thread about it too since I found more than one method that works. I think it's called Calling All Tendered Headed People or something like that. Best of luck.

Thanks I will search for the thread!