*~* The Aloe Vera Challenge *~*

KurlyNinja

I started a thread a few days ago about Aloe Vera Rinses. Which have been working AMAZINGLY for me, by the way. I know there are many people using aloe vera in different types of ways for there hair. So I decided to start an aloe vera challenge so people can reap the many benefits of aloe vera!

Here are some articles and threads on aloe vera:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=619235
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=619235
m http://www.ehow.com/about_5493853_us...#ixzz1udvSMMdy
http://www.ehow.com/list_7210239_ben...#ixzz1udxQiFPe
http://www.whyaloevera.com/hair-loss.html

To join the challenge just thank the post and answer these questions.

What type of Aloe Vera are you using?

How are you using Aloe Vera in your reggie?

How often do you plan on using aloe vera?

It would also be nice to add a before picture (not required). Not necessarily as a length check but to see how your hair was before you started using aloe vera and then you can post a picture several months from now to see how your hair changes.

Last edited:

jessicarabbit

Add me!
Im using Lilly of the Earth (or is it Valley?) Aloe Vera Juice and Gel
I use the juice in my spritz along with water and oil daily, I use the gel in my whipped shea mix and i use this when i need an extra moisture boost.
I use it everyday!
I also plan to take it internally
:)

yynot

I use Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Juice (the one from Whole Foods). I use it 3 times a week, using in my DCs and in my spritz bottle along with EVCO and glycerin. Thinking I may need to start refrigerating my spritz bottle as I'm not sure if the type of AVJ I have requires refrigeration or not? Anyone else make a point of refrigerating their AVJ??

soonergirl

I use George's aloe
I plan on spritzing daily with the aloe juice
I also plan on adding it to my rinses

Ltown

Greyland
i use aloe vera as a prepoo mixture i got from chcoro (wheat germ oil/aloevera gel coconut) i recently started doing a rinse/spritz with aloevera juice and evoo.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
What type of Aloe Vera are you using? For now just the liquid one from walmart and the Lily of the Valley Gel

How are you using Aloe Vera in your reggie? I use the gel on my scalp then mix it with SAA and apply to my dry hair before adding the rest of my DC concoction of conditioner, oils and agave. I use this when I steam (which I do twice a week).
Starting yesterday I will use the liquid for a final rinse:love:

How often do you plan on using aloe vera? AVG twice a week and the liquid (I'm not sure yet) at least 2 but knowing me probably more than that. (I co wash 6 times a week and poo wash once).

ETA: My first Aloe rinse was fantastic.....it felt great, I swear I could have done without any leave in but I'm addicted to my leave in (I just used less). In the morning my hair had an extra silkiness....I'm hooked:yep: Thanks for the heads up and the thread tag @KurlyNinja I was looking for something to take my hair regimen to another level and this is it:grin:

lilyofthenile

Thanks for the tag :grin:

What type of Aloe Vera are you using? Gel and juice, juice is Holland and Barrett's branded and gel is Lily of the Desert.

How are you using Aloe Vera in your reggie? I'm using aloe vera gel on my scalp about twice a week. I'm using juice in form of a spritz onto my scalp and also as a rinse for my hair.

How often do you plan on using aloe vera? About four times a week, maybe more.

naturalagain2

Sure I'll join the challenge since i use Aloe Vera anyway:grin:

What type of Aloe Vera are you using? Lily Of The Desert Aloe Vera Juice

How are you using Aloe Vera in your reggie? Well I use it in my conditioner mix as a refresher/moisturizer/detangler & in my DC's. I will be in senegalese twist starting Sat. so I will be making my own braiding spray which will include 40% - 50% Aloe Vera Juice as well as using it to DC. I may add this to my cowashes as well :scratchch...

How often do you plan on using aloe vera? 2 - 3x's a wk

Last edited:

TraciChanel

Thanks for the tag! I'm currently using Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera juice. In the past, I've been adding it to my deep conditioners, and using after I take out my PS. But, since I'm in the challenge now, I'm going to increase my use to 3 times a week and spray on my hair between washes AND during DC'ing. :yep: I'll post pics when I take out my PS - in about 3 weeks or less. Good luck to all the ladies in this challenge.

Last edited:

ladysaraii

I'm in!

I started back using AvG on my scalp with my pre-poo. Also, I inend to start drinking it again.

I need to look into a rinse and also into adding it back into my daily spritz

CarefreeinChicago

I am using Lilly of the valley from whole foods
I mix it with water coconut oil and olive oil
And spray once in the morning and once in the evening

TrueSugar

What type of Aloe Vera are you using? I am using the juice.

How are you using Aloe Vera in your reggie?Like virtuenow, I am using it as a prepoo treatment with grapeseed oil and coconut oil.

How often do you plan on using aloe vera? I will do this at least once per week

KurlyNinja

KumakoXsd
Ltown
naturalagain2
Nix08
TraciChanel
virtuenow
yynot
lindsaywhat

Thanks ladies for joining the challenge! Please continue to post how you found different ways to use aloe vera for your hair and how its working for you! I dont know why there is not more about aloe vera on here. I believe aloe vera has changed my whole hair reggie around for the better.

Nix08

I'm really glad you enjoyed the liquid aloe vera rinse! I wish I would have known to do something like this while I was still relaxed. It probably would have changed my scalp as well as my hair for the better.

KurlyNinja

I forgot to answer my own questions :lol: I can be such a ditz sometimes.

I'm using George's brand distilled liquid aloe vera

I use it as a rinse after I co-wash. I also have some in a spritz bottle mixed with rosewater and glycerin as a refresher for my WnGs.

I use the rinse about 2x a week after I co-wash. I spritz my hair with my aloe vera mixture everyday to refresh my WnGs after I pineapple my hair and also at night before I pineapple to add some extra moisture.

MsDee14

I'm in!!

What type of Aloe Vera are you using?Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Juice.
And I have an aloe vera plant.

How are you using Aloe Vera in your reggie?I crack open the leaf from my Aloe Plant and apply the aloe to my edges.
I use an Aloe Vera mix to detangle which includes Glycerin, Safflower Oil, and water.
I use an Aloe Vera mix to moisturize my hair which includes glycerin, safflower,vitamin e, rosemary and eucalyptus oil
I use the same moisturizing mix as a leave-in

Every single day :)

chelleyrock

I'd like to join.

What type of Aloe Vera are you using? Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel (or juice)

Mainly used for setting my braidouts. I put it in a spray bottle with water, evoo, and a little bit of leave-in conditioner.

How often do you plan on using aloe vera? Daily

Ronnieaj

Well, you know I'm in :yep:!

What type of Aloe Vera are you using? Lily of the Desert, or Trader Joe's, whichever I get to easier.

How are you using Aloe Vera in your reggie? I use aloe vera juice in my acv rinse and in my daily spray. Both are complicated mixes, but I use 10 oz of avj per 32 oz of daily spray, and 4 oz per 32 oz of my acv rinse (I use much less since the acv is a pH of 3).

How often do you plan on using aloe vera? Daily

ChocoKitty

Lilly of the Valley AVG (Inner Filet)
Sealing my hair prior to applying KCKT as a leave in for Wash n' Gos
Minimum 1-2x a week

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I am using Aloe Vera Juice.

I have a 50/50 aloe vera juice & distilled water mix that I use as a spritz on dry hair.
I make my own tea spritzes and I top them off with aloe vera juice.
I have a aloe vera juice & oil (type of oil depends on my mood) mix that I use as a spritz on dry hair. So I alternate this with the avj/dw mix.
I used the aloe vera juice as a final rinse this past Sunday. I will alternate this with my acv rinses.

I use it in some form 5-7 days a week

KurlyNinja

Ladies, I have a question. Why are you using the type of aloe vera that you are using? Because it mixes well with other products? The price? The size?

SimJam

I use Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Juice (the one from Whole Foods). I use it 3 times a week, using in my DCs and in my spritz bottle along with EVCO and glycerin. Thinking I may need to start refrigerating my spritz bottle as I'm not sure if the type of AVJ I have requires refrigeration or not? Anyone else make a point of refrigerating their AVJ??

Yes I refrigerate my AVJ once its been opened and also my spritzes with AVJ

Ladies, I have a question. Why are you using the type of aloe vera that you are using? Because it mixes well with other products? The price? The size?

I use which ever brand is in the health food store, usually Lily of the Desert.

I started using that brand really for the taste (or lack of it), then when I got into hair care I just continued using it. I still drink it :yep:

SimJam

Lily of the Desert aloe vera juice

spritz AVJ on my hair right after washing/conditioning before I put on my leave in

mix AVJ with a herb tea (marshmallow, nettle, burdockroot and rose hips) and use as a spritz before I moisturize mid week

use AVJ as part of my moegrow oil/herb mix (nettle, horsetail and lavender infused in oils)

at least 2 times a week.

Last edited:

princesskaha

Thinking I may need to start refrigerating my spritz bottle as I'm not sure if the type of AVJ I have requires refrigeration or not? Anyone else make a point of refrigerating their AVJ??
I started using avj this year and at first i wasnt refrigerating it but I read somewhere that it works better when kept in the fridge so i started doing what you said this week, as in putting my spray bottle in the fridge.not sure if it has made a difference yet but i guess we'll see...

princesskaha

Add me!
Im using Lilly of the Earth (or is it Valley?) Aloe Vera Juice and Gel
I use the juice in my spritz along with water and oil daily, I use the gel in my whipped shea mix and i use this when i need an extra moisture boost.
I use it everyday!
I also plan to take it internally
:)
lol it's lily of the desert not earth...:lol:, anyways as to taking it internally, i tried that but i think it tastes disgusting to me but to each his own...they say its really good for you though so i dunno

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
KurlyNinja said:

What great timing! I just started adding it to my concoctions a cpl weeks ago and my hair seems happy.

-right now I'm using the aloe gel
-I put the gel I'm my home made flax seed gel mix and used it in my tea spritzes. Thinking I might add the gel to my weekly dc as well.
-I use the spray and gel almost every other day. When I need to retwist ffor twist outs.

Hopefully this will help me retain more to reach my personal goal this year of sl.

Thanks for this challenge!

leigh.hill

What type of Aloe Vera are you using? The Juice!I got it from Trader Joe's.

To start, I plan to use it to rinse out my co-wash conditioner.

After co-washing, 2 to 3 times a week.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
KurlyNinja said:

It chose the gel cuz it was on sale. Lol.

Don't think I want to try the juice just yet. The gel melts right into my tea spritz when its warm so its not a problem.

jessicarabbit

A few days ago, i did a mid-week mini dc with aloe vera juice and a baggy on my head for a few hours. when i rinsed it out, lemme tell yall, i felt llike i had the perfect balance of moissture/protein in my hair. no breakage or strands coming out AT ALL, nor was my hair gummy. This will be a staple in my regimen, (especially when i get bored and feel like doing something to my hair lol)