Wet set info.....

BronxDiva

There are dozens of types of rollers....spiral, krinkled, big, small. The technique is important , but easy.

Supplies Needed Rollers
Setting Lotion
Rat-tail comb
Small brush
Overhead dryer
Hair pins

1) Wash/condition hair.
*Massage some moisturizer into hair.
2) Comb and part. Quickly section off first piece, spray with setting lotion to wet, smooth piece with a rat tail comb, and roll starting at end, rolling tightly and secure with pin (if needed). Try the rolling papers for an even smoother, more professional finish.
3) Finish your whole head as quickly as possible, to avoid letting your hair air-dry before you finish.
4) Prewarm dryer. Sit under hot dryer for 2 hours. The longer your hair is, the longer you have to sit.
Also, for longer hair, use more rollers. There are many types of rollers, find out which ones are more suitable for longer hair.
5) Style as desired.

How you roll the hair (technique) is important. Do not put too much hair in a roller. It won't dry right, plus you will get that "line" at the top of the hair, and it won't be smooth.

Having your ends evenly clipped is a must! Particulary with this style. Otherwise it won't come out right.

Purchase a small spray bottle, it comes in handy a lot. The set lotion may or may not come in a spray bottle.

Healthy Hair Tips

1) You are what you eat. Your diet should consist of healthy foods that are rich in vitamins and nutrients, which are necessary for the growth of your hair.
2) Keep your hair clean. Wash it once a week followed by a deep protein conditioner to strengthen the hair shaft.
3) Apply leave-in moisturizer to the hair often. This is especially important if your hair is relaxed or color-treated. Hair moisturizers help to prevent excessive dryness and breakage of the hair.
4) Avoid tight braids ponytails, and weaves, which can lead to hair loss. These hair styles should be taken out in eight weeks to allow the hair to relax.
5) When relaxing your hair, remember to base the entire scalp to avoid scalp irritation. Pay special attention to the edges of the hair line, and protect the fine hairs.
6) Do not scratch or injure your scalp prior to any chemical treatment.
7) Relax your hair only every eight weeks. Frequent hair relaxing can over-process the hair and cause breakage.
8) Avoid multiple chemical treatments at the same time. For example, if you relax your hair, do not color your hair the same day. You must wait two weeks in between each treatment.

pebbles

Great post BronxDiva.

I still haven't mastered the art of wet setting. I do get those lines at the top of the roller. I'm trying as best as I can to stretch my retouches, but by the end of the 6th week, I start getting a lot of shedding/breakage. Still need tips on how I can extend the time between my relaxers without damaging my hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BronxDiva

I will tell you this, I just finished setting my hair after putting in the Mizani rhelaxer i told you about yesterday and my comb out had minimal hair not even a golf ball size. I attribute this to the conditioner washes that I started in october. I think by doing them the prepped my scalp for the relaxer. I did not have any burning nor any scabs, which i usually get when i relax with a no-lye relaxer. By doing the conditioner washes my new growth was softer and more manageable. I also use an all natural leave in conditioner that contains no harsh chemicals and I use jojoba oil and Kiehls protein leave in conditoner. I just relaxed my hair today after 8 weeks. Do you wear protective styles? Do you wrap your hair at night? Also what vitamins are you taking? Also when you wet set your hair are you using the hard plastic rollers with the holes in them?

A

AmilLion

Bronx, I don't think every has to sit under the dryer for 2 hours. Wouldn't the time depend on your hair and the type of dryer you own. I own the Pibbs Salon Style dryer and my hair dries in 25 minutes flat. Even my mother's hair dries in the same amount of time on the coolest setting and we have two different textures of hair.

Additionally, I find that using just leave-in conditioner works will to. I would suggest using leave-in conditioner first before a setting lotion to the inexperienced ladies because u will get a harden effect if you use a lot of setting lotion without realizing or trying to remoisten hair if it dries before setting all hair. I had to learn this the hard way lol.

BronxDiva

I think the time you spend under the dryer depends on the length of your hair and the size of rollers you use. If you have long hair and use smaller rollers you will have to sit under the dryer longer than a person with short hair and larger rollers. Personally I have never been able to dry in 25 minutes it always takes me 45 minutes at the salon or at home so I do agree it depends on the type of hair, hair dryer and rollers you have.

I would also advise using a leave in conditioner before setting lotion if you have fine hair but everyone's hair responsds differently to different products. My sister can use just setting lotion and not have hard hair, but her hair is thicker than mine. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

Bronxdiva,

I am so happy to hear your mizani relaxer went well! Good for you! I want to try Mizani myself. My cousin uses it and she has the most magnificent hair! That relaxer just seems to make her hair look better than it already does. I want to start the conditioner washes especially now that winter is coming. What conditioner do you use for your washes? Is it the same as your leave in conditioner?

I just started wearing protective styles about 2 months ago. Now I'm a little confused because I think on one of the posts, someone said that their hairdresser does not recommend wearing your hair in a bun all the time. I think that's what I read. I used to just pin up my hair and put on my satin night cap, but yesterday my friend was telling me to do the wrap instead because it keeps your ends nice and smoothe and can help eliminate the start of new split ends. When I wet set, I do use the hard plastic rollers with the holes in them. I usually try to use end paper as well, to offer some protection to my hair ends.

As for my vitamins, here's what I take daily.
-Centrum-1 tablet
-vitamin c-500 mg-1 tablet
-Panthonic acid (vit B)-500 mg-2 capsules
-vitamin B-12-500 mcg-2 capsules
-MSM 1000-1000 mg-1 capsule
-zinc 30- 30 mg- 1 tablet
-flaxseed oil-500 mg-2 gel capsules
-evening primrose oil-500 mg- 2 gel capsules
-Ultranourishair-2 tablets daily

I'm going to add silica to my vitamin regimen as soon as I can get to GNC. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BronxDiva

What conditioner do you use for your washes?
I started using Suave coconut which was great but then I got creative and started using Modern organic Product's daily rinse. It has wheat, coconut, apple cider vinegar, burdock, peppermint parsley, basil, sage pear juice sesame oil, honey.

Is it the same as your leave in conditioner? For the leave in I also use Modern organic product's leave in. This has Wheat, avocado, silica, aloe, corn silk, olive oil, coconut, carrot puree, buttermilk powder, vitamin E, Echinacea.

Protective style: I comb my hair out from a wrap each morning and then I just pin it up sometimes I will part it sometimes I won't. I dont do buns because i am scared of breakage. I grew up on buns people would always ask why dont you wear your hair out and now i will use a bun as my last resort. Your friend is right you should wrap your hair at night opposed to pinning it up because when you sleep you move around a lot and that could lead to the pins breaking your hair.

I tried the Ultranourish hair from GNC and it slowed down my growth so I went back to Nature's Plus Ultra Hair plus. It has Ginko and saw palmetto. I also cut back on the MSM because I noticed my hair started to shed. The silica is good I noticed that since taking the silica, evening primrose and Flaxseed oil twice a day 500mcg each my hair started to grow more and my skin cleared up leading me to toss my retin A in the trash /images/graemlins/smile.gif I see that you are taking additional vitamin B, how is that working? It must be working well because your hair looks nice /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the key to hair growth is not to manipulate your hair too much and wash at least once a week. Since I started washing twice a week my scalp feels much better. HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pebbles

Bronxdiva,

I'm going to try the modern organic products. I will definately start wrapping my hair nightly. No more pins. I didn't think about the damage it might cause. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

When I finish with the ultranourishair, I'm going to try the Nature's Plus Ultra Hair plus. I have heard so many good reports on it, that I can't ignore it.

I forgot to add that I also take 2, 2500 mcg capsules of Biotin daily. The only down side to all these vitamins for me has been increased appetite. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm not thrilled about that. I haven't heard a lot of the other ladies complain about increased appetite, so I have got to do something about this. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for the tips! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BronxDiva

Girl, I thought I was the only one who started eating more. I thought I had to in order to take the vitamins because majority of them say with meals so I had to condition myself to eating breakfast and lunch on a consistent basis. Now even with those meals I get thirsty and hungry in between. Your not alone.
IF you try MOP products (which is $9.99 for 10 ozs.) I suggest you use the leave in conditioner first to see if you like it. Like I said before everyone's hair responds differently to different products. Good Luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

AmilLion

I agree with BronxDiva, the less you manipulate the hair, the better off. God only knows how much I dislike this simple hair style that I must wear while my hair grows out.

No, you ladies aren't the only ones that have experienced an increase in appetite. I posted under another thread that my appetite seems to be uncontrollable. However, I try to monitor what I eat very carefully and leave plenty of fresh fruits around the house to snack on. This seems to help as well as drinking more water to make me feel full.

pebbles

I'm going to try leaving the fresh fruit around like you said, for snacking. I need to drink more water anyway, so I'll try that as well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

AmilLion

I hope that helps you out Pebbles. Keep me posted.

Soon, I'll be posting pictures of my hair. I'm waiting to get the film developed and will be scanning them.