Where to begin?

H

HoneyRockette

I changed my signature to reflect the trim but I didn't actually do it yet. I have to do it myself because I have not found a good hairdresser and I don't have any trusted friends, (if you can recall I trusted my neighbor to help me remove my braids and she hacked off half of my hair). I have super sharp scissors already. Someone said they trimmed their own hair straight across by setting up two mirrors. How do you trim your own hair straight across? I can't swing my hair over my shoulders because my hair is too uneven, (hence the reason for the trim). Can anyone give me some pointers?

A

AmilLion

Well when trimming hair, I comb sections of my hair straight up and trim. Kind of like the way you see professional do it. I trim the front as best as I can and then I'll ask the only two people I trust with scissors to trim the back, my mom and dad. Yes, my DAD! He's actually better than my mom.

pmichael52172

I wasn't the one that "said" it but I too trim my hair straight across. Granted, it isn't anywhere near as long as yours. My hair is just below the shoulders. My sides are a couple of inches shorter... but growing.

I turn my back towards the mirror on the wall, and using my handheld mirror and look into it to see the back of my hair from the wall mirror. Then I carefuly trim across the back. I don't try to do it all in one sweep for fear that my arm/hand my move so I snip a little, comb down, snip, comb, snip and so on. The first couple of times, I think I was just snipping air because I was so scared but, little by little I started "dusting" and then eventually doing good trims. I've noticed that my sides are catching up to the back the more I keep the back trimmed, but I also am careful to treat and handle the ends on the sides because I don't want to have thick, even, healthy ends in the back and scraggly ends on the sides.

My hair is getting longer, so now I'm starting to look like a contortionist trying to get back there. I've found a friend that is as obsessed with hair as me so I know I can trust her when the time comes. She trims her daughter's hair who's is longer than mine so I'm sure she'll do well.

sweetcocoa

Pmichael...sounds like we do the same thing. My sides are shorter than my back also. I'm trying to keep the sides from thinning out also, but at the same time let them catch up to the back. I'm also trying to grow out my bangs too, so I try to trim them without trimming a whole lot.

L.A. Woman

This description has given me the confidence to attempt this. My ultimate goal is total management of my haircare. If I can overcome this final fear I think it'll be ok

pmichael52172

One comment that I like is on Motown girl's website on trimming. http://motowngrl.8m.net/trim.htm IT WILL GROW BACK!

And if need be, your first few times, take a chance and trim little to nothing. I guarantee you that even if you find that you haven't snipped anything, or as much as you needed to.. you'll still be a little more confident the next go 'round .

"Sweets" - those bangs are so hard to grow out!!! Layers are the next hardest to me. My hair is thin anyway, so it is so frusrating to have to snip to keep that thick look while trying to keep it growing thick-looking.