Relaxers made especially for Hispanics

RUBY

Look what I found at Happi.com and I quote

'A Spanish Solution
Revlon Realistic, a Colomer USA brand that had relaxer sales of $4.2 million for the year ended Feb.
2 according to IRI, re-staged its no-lye Relaxer Systems. Two are formulated for African-American women and now there are two for Hispanic and multicultural women. Executives said women of Hispanic heritage prefer relaxers that leave hair straight, yet full of body. The Hispanic population’s buying power in the U.S. is estimated at $561 billion, Multicultural Marketing Resources said.

“We have proven research that Hispanic hair is different; it is stronger and coarser and has not gone through as much chemical treatment as African-American hair,” said Pumla Cossie, marketing director, multicultural division, Colomer USA. “Most Hispanic consumers were not happy with mainstream relaxers. Nothing exactly suited their hair.” Ms. Cossie added this complaint was especially prominent in Caribbean salons.'

Looks like sales are down so hair companies are looking for bigger fish to fry. I wonder why they think that black people don't want "relaxers that leave hair straight, yet full of body."

ms_kenesha

Okay, my question would be what is the difference in the relaxers ingredients? And what the hell does Revlon mean by "Hispanic Hair" that can be anything from a 1 to a 4Z!!!! Okay, that pisses me off, but I used Revlon relaxers when I did home touch-ups and they always had their directions in english and spanish, Revlon I heard was kind of harsh so maybe they're making a less harsh relaxer, but they shouldn't just market it to Hispanic women!

melodee

I agree with Ms Kenesha. Latinos come in a rainbow of colors and backrounds. There are many, many Latinos with strong European heritages who have stick straight hair that would never need a relaxer.(Like Thalia) Also, there are many Latinos with strong African anscestry whose hair type is no different than that of an AA.( Think Lala from MTV) This is not to say they are not Latino, but they have AFro-textured hair. I come from a Latino parent who has type 2a hair and an AA parent with 4b. Do they have to market a new perm for me to make me feel special? I think not. I'll use what works, no matter what the lady on the box looks like.

Paris Belle

I totally agree. I just wanted to add that many Hispanics, even those that "appear" to have 2a and 1 hair use relaxers. Though, some may not use them as often as we do, maybe once or twice a year, but they do use them. Many of them use Revlon.

myco

The presumption of this press release is that African-American women all want overprocessed, limp, straight hair.
IMO, I think "hispanics" are the only other group who can rival African-americans in diversity because of parallel histories. But, it's "funny" how African-Americans are marketed as some freak homogeneous group that dropped out of space.

Not to say that Hispanics are any more homogeneous, because we are both expected to fit into neat little boxes.

I was surfing the web a while back and I think I saw the new boxes for the Revlon Realistic relaxer. The boxes are purple, yellow, and red I think. The lady from the original mild lye formula is still on the cover of one of the boxes. I couldn't really see the others.

azul11

i dont get this. why do they always do stuff like this? i already heard about this but i dont get the point. hispanic hair comes in many textures and to assume that it hasnt gone through as many chemical treatments as AA is crazy. latinas dye their hair just as much as AA and they relax as well and do blow outs and the such. i dont get the research where latinas want their hair straight but full of body like everyone else wants their hair straight but lifeless. i wouldnt buy a product just because it is geared towards a certain race/ethnicity. i pick it because of the quality of the ingredients and whether i believe it will work well with my hair. God bless you all.

rosie

Sadly, this is not a surpirse.

Revlon is just doing what most companies are doing. Catering to the money.
Lookit:

In the past year of so, the Hispanic population has grown to be the largest minority group in this country. Before when blacks were the largest, the buying power was in their hands. Now, as far as Revlon and other companies are concerned, the buying power is in the hands of the Hispanics. Blacks still have some, but Hispanics have the most. Hence, they are the ones being catered to with products especially made for them, now. It is the new trend, watch it grow.

I know that most of us educated and product savvy sisters would not buy a product based on whom it is marketed to, but most folks do. There have been many posts on this forum and ones in the past where friends with good intentions tell you not to use the "White folks" stuff in your hair. "You need to use black people's stuff - Look for the Proud Balck Lady - AHBAI".

Well, any community with buying power, be they blacks or hispanics, wants to see society accepting them (at least in theory). And that acceptance comes in using your ethinic group's photos on packaging and in the advertisements.

Think back to when relaxer advertisements first appeared on TV. They seduced most of us with beautiful black women of all shades with hair shining and swinging in the breeze, and you/I couldn't wait to run out and get that relaxer kit, shampoo, conditioner, hair grease, pink stuff so you/I could have swinging and shiny hair.

They are just using proven methods of advertisement.
The whole FEEL/FELT/FOUND method. I FEEL your frustation, I FELT that way too, but this is what I FOUND to help...

A proven sales/training methodology that gets buy in everytime. I use it in all my training sessions to win over even the most stubborn adult in the classes I train.

I think the best way to combat this is to send a message to Revlon and other companies telling them that we are too smart to fall for this, again.

And we need to educate the rest of the community out there who think that using what's in the box will give you the hair pictured on the box.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Sadly, this is not a surpirse.

Revlon is just doing what most companies are doing. Catering to the money.
Lookit:

In the past year of so, the Hispanic population has grown to be the largest minority group in this country. Before when blacks were the largest, the buying power was in their hands. Now, as far as Revlon and other companies are concerned, the buying power is in the hands of the Hispanics. Blacks still have some, but Hispanics have the most. Hence, they are the ones being catered to with products especially made for them, now. It is the new trend, watch it grow.

I know that most of us educated and product savvy sisters would not buy a product based on whom it is marketed to, but most folks do. There have been many posts on this forum and ones in the past where friends with good intentions tell you not to use the "White folks" stuff in your hair. "You need to use black people's stuff - Look for the Proud Balck Lady - AHBAI".

Well, any community with buying power, be they blacks or hispanics, wants to see society accepting them (at least in theory). And that acceptance comes in using your ethinic group's photos on packaging and in the advertisements.

Think back to when relaxer advertisements first appeared on TV. They seduced most of us with beautiful black women of all shades with hair shining and swinging in the breeze, and you/I couldn't wait to run out and get that relaxer kit, shampoo, conditioner, hair grease, pink stuff so you/I could have swinging and shiny hair.

They are just using proven methods of advertisement.
The whole FEEL/FELT/FOUND method. I FEEL your frustation, I FELT that way too, but this is what I FOUND to help...

A proven sales/training methodology that gets buy in everytime. I use it in all my training sessions to win over even the most stubborn adult in the classes I train.

I think the best way to combat this is to send a message to Revlon and other companies telling them that we are too smart to fall for this, again.

And we need to educate the rest of the community out there who think that using what's in the box will give you the hair pictured on the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.

Tracy

Rosie,

EXCELLENT post. Thought provoking and makes a lot of sense. We can't expect this to change unless we change. And though we here might have the knowledge and the support to know, and pay attention to these disparities, many of the general populace still doesn't.

No sense getting angry at the companies exclusively when the consumer is as responsible. They can't make the sale if we don't make the pruchase.

What's also sad is that many times they get the research they use to make these marketing decisions from the very communities they target. I say that to say that - what's worse is that I fear that many Latinas will see a relaxer for "us" and think it somehow is different or better than relaxers for "them" because we are "different" and our hair is "different" so we need a different product. So they're playing off of the cultural schisms that divide us as well. Which is a deeper kind of betrayal. But again, we allow it....

myco

well said. Just to piggyback on your post, I was reading where it said that the ethnic market has lost ground because AA consumers are now using "generic brand" products like Paul Mitchell, instead of products marketed specifically towards them. So from a financial stand point it does make sense to move on to an untapped marketing angle. I guess what annoys me the most is the way the press release exacerbates the "us" and "them" mentality as Tracy put it.

SherryLove

In light of what most of you have already said, some hispanics' hair is nappier than mine(thanks to Mother Africa)or the same texture.........A lot of them mistake me for a Dominican....And, on the other hand, other hispanics have straighter, less curly hair...They have a mixture of hair types just as AAs do so how can you really market a hair product for hispanics only?????????? That's real funny..

SherryLove

SweetNic_JA

It boggles my mind why some people refuse to acknowledge the connection between "Hispanics" and "blacks". Many many hispanics have African blood. The multi-textured, multi colored characteristics we see in Hispanics is a legacy of the colonialism and slavery that occured in central and south America. This same legacy is what lead to the same heterogeneous mix that we see in many American born blacks.

Revlon and others, need to realize that it is the culture and nation that distinquishes many hispanics from many black Americans. It is that same culture that distinguishes many American born blacks from Carribean born blacks.

For the most part the three groups share a lot of similarities. The only large difference is that some hispanics tend to have more european traits - and that is definitely not always the case.

It is futile to try and create a separate product for afro-textured haired people of spanish decent. I could understand them creating different products for people with differing textures. That makes more sense.

I don't remember who said it but I agree with you when you say that it is just another marketing scheme.

Tracy

And quiet as it's kept (again probably not the case with anyone here but we are certainly more educated about our hair just by virtue of being here) are the scores of AA women that will flock to the store thinking that the Spanish realxer will somehow give them "Spanish" hair - which of course will end all of their self image woes since hair texture, type, "grade", degree of curl matters so deeply to AA women, generally.....

So the ignorance abounds....I just wish there was a way we could everyone a big auditorium for a large scale deprogramming.....

But with the companies reinforcing the bad blood, and us leaving off where they leave off, the prognosis is so grim.

rosie

OT:Uh, SherryLove.. I just saw your photo album.

Girl your hair is (in the immortal words of my 23 mnth old)AWWWIGHT-DYNOMITE!!!.

I thought it was wet when I looked at your profile picture, but it's not. Your hair is just that shiny and long and oh so pretty. So what is your regimen... give...details...please (insert icon of my on my knees begging here)

Okay, repeating my pledge to myself. "I have resolved to transition for at least a year and then decide whether I want to go natural or continue relaxing.

But seeing hair like yours and other long haired divas on this board makes me want to reach for a relaxing kit. I have to stop my self every time.

See now, it's time for me to put my braids back in.(insert icon of me running to the store to buy some braid hair)

Okay, back on topic.
I agree with everyone. It is a shame. Tracey, I agree with you. I know at least three women who would go to the store to buy the Hispanic relaxer and still have the same old broke-down head of hair that they always have. Never once considering that they need to care for thier hair after the realxer is applied.

myco

you're so right. I think the companies are counting on getting 2 for the price of one. Not only is ignorance bliss, it's profitable too.

Country gal

[ QUOTE ]
And quiet as it's kept (again probably not the case with anyone here but we are certainly more educated about our hair just by virtue of being here) are the scores of AA women that will flock to the store thinking that the Spanish realxer will somehow give them "Spanish" hair - which of course will end all of their self image woes since hair texture, type, "grade", degree of curl matters so deeply to AA women, generally.....

So the ignorance abounds....I just wish there was a way we could everyone a big auditorium for a large scale deprogramming.....

But with the companies reinforcing the bad blood, and us leaving off where they leave off, the prognosis is so grim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly that is case with Hawaiian silky relaxer. When I was a teenager I thought it would help my hair be silky like hawaiian hair.

beana3

[ QUOTE ]

I say that to say that - what's worse is that I fear that many Latinas will see a relaxer for "us" and think it somehow is different or better than relaxers for "them" because we are "different" and our hair is "different" so we need a different product. So they're playing off of the cultural schisms that divide us as well. Which is a deeper kind of betrayal. But again, we allow it....

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy that was a very deep post.. I agree 100%, we do not need more division within our communities, especially over something as trivial as a relaxer. I'm glad you pointed that out!

G

I'm going to take a wild guess at this, but one of the reasons why black hair is "lifeless" is because when black women, the vast majority, relax their hair, the next step is to flat iron.

That's where the "lifeless-ness" comes in at. Any thoughts?

Furthermore, I would think hot curling the hair would give it the body so many want. Maybe, maybe not.

I have never seen any other race women flat iron their hair bone straight. However, I don't know what Hispanic hair looks like before and after a process. No one seems to have hair like our hair anyway.

azul11

i dont necessarily agree. i think the lifeless thing has more to do with overprocessing and drenching with tons of products. i have seen tons of heads like this and i doubt all of them have that greasy glued to their heads look because of a flat iron. also many races uses flat irons as well.
i also think the care and regime used after the hair has been relaxed also plays a role. most times roller sets are in order at spanish salons and sometimes a blow out which makes the hair look fuller. whereas SOME (key word some) black salons may not do so they may blow dry and flat iron and curl or whatever. i havent been to every hair salon so i cant generalize nor do i wish to. i know that some salons regardless of ethnicity do certain things to the hair of the customers to have a certain look. i am sure regardless of the race of the person if bad techniques are used on their hair they will have horrible results. God bless you all.

G

Uh huh... I do see a lot of very sleek black hair, but it never moves and God forbid a gust of wind should come up. It's hair that's just "there"...

I have no answer to this problem...

beana3

[ QUOTE ]
However, I don't know what Hispanic hair looks like before and after a process. No one seems to have hair like our hair anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi blossom, I just wanted to add that many hispanics have African ancestry, and quite a few have hair textures similiar or identical to ours.
I live in a predominantly Dominican populated area and seeing Latinas get relaxers (bantu or revlon) is not unusual.

this is simply just another marketing ploy, ALL relaxers basically perform the same action, maybe this one is milder. My biggest fear is that one day i'll walk into a salon that already has a "hispanic" relaxer out and they'll tell me "No, you need black relaxer."

Paris Belle

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest fear is that one day i'll walk into a salon that already has a "hispanic" relaxer out and they'll tell me "No, you need black relaxer."

[/ QUOTE ]

So true but this part made me laugh a little..

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
before i came to this board I had hair that just sat there. Now my hair moves and shakes and bounces. I think it has a lot to do with moisture.

About the lifeless thing-- I think when black women get a relaxer the stylist automatically assumes that straight means as straight as possible. In fact when I got to the stylist I have to argue with her to not flat iron and press my hair!! Before she would relax, wrap and dry under a hood, hot comb it, and flat iron!!! My hair was soo thin!! And I have extremely thick hair so for her to get it that thin took a lot of heat. Now that I am educated I let her know-- you will not use tht much heat on my hair ever again so back away from me with that stove *****! Plus I am in the process of finding a new stylist I can trust!

But my point in this rant was to say education is the key and I see so many women walking around wih some messed up hair because they listen to what companies tell them. I don't even read black hair magazines anymore because I think there's way to much advertising in there, especially advertising that is deceitful-- and I have a feeling that the articles are sometimes mini ads for hair companies.

That being said, I do believe that this spanish relaxer will be successful for a while and then it will blow over! Hispanics, especially carribean hispanics, aare practically the same as us, and they can use the same stuff we do too. But I do think that black companies should also put hispanic women on the boxes as well to try and combat this game revlon is trying to play. This way hispanic women will know that these products are just as good if not better than the other.

Lucia

Next thing you know those exec's will realize that Indians Arabs and some Asians use some type of relaxer and market for "them" also. I know an Indian guy who uses "super ghetto relaxer"-his words.

BlkMane

Re: OT:Uh, SherryLove.. I just saw your photo album.

A Hispanic relaxer???!! That is like saying, "An American relaxer." STUPID.

Dear Revlon, Hispanic is not a race. I repeat, "Hispanic" is not a race.

Honeyhips

Lovely
Re: OT:Uh, SherryLove.. I just saw your photo album.

yup its a marketing technique. Whites and Latins have been using 'black' relaxers for years.

skegeesmb

O/T but you are in sales too? I use the same techniques when dealing with customers: I know exactly how you feel, your neighbors felt the same way, but what they found was that when I gave them an apples to apples comparison, I was able to offer your neighbors a comparable or better price.

Now you'd be interested in a comparable or better rate right?!?

ha ha ha!

EbonyF

Re: OT:Uh, SherryLove.. I just saw your photo albu

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on point!

Don't they know there are Black-Hispanics

beana3

Re: OT:Uh, SherryLove.. I just saw your photo albu

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on point!

Don't they know there are Black-Hispanics

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately these companies prey on dividing us and having us believe bogus crap just to make a few bucks... Yeah and when the hell will they learn that many hispanics have African ancestry hence having very similiar hair textures... Oh but according to these A-hole companies spanish speaking people of african descent prefer a less harsh relaxer than American people of african descent.