Church-involved ladies, have you ever been asked to fulfill...

Galadriel

A role or function at church due to an emergency or shortage of personnel? I once had to lead the songs for Mass because the (small) choir we had was out/ill. And I sing off-key. No bueno. :nono::lol:

An elderly Eucharistic Minister was out ill one Sunday, so I had to act in his place and help distribute Communion.

My mother-in-law and father-in-law are very active in their church, and when the priest was delayed for an infant baptism, he asked them to do the baptism. They refused and just waited for the deacon to get there.

Have you ever been in a situation at church where you've been asked at the last minute to step into someone else's shoes or to perform a certain role?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
This is amazing and I do have something to share. :yep:

I've been in a few situations similar and I see it as God showing us what we else He has called us to or what we are capable of. That we can 'stand in' to keep the Ministry flowing.

I was called in to fill in for the nursery one Sunday as one of the helpers. This lead to being one of the team leaders to being in charge, with lesson plans and activities for the children. I wrote plays and songs for them to present to the Church for special occasions such as Christmas and Easter.

One of the greatest honors was when Pastor turned the entire Sunday service for Christmas over to me and my children from Sunday School Ministry. It was an awesome honor and a blessing and our Church Family was truly blessed by the message that the children shared about Jesus and the true meaning of Christmas. The children were putting Jesus above santa claus. As a matter of fact the play was entitled: "The Real King of Christmas".

I would say to anyone who is asked to fill in for someone in the Ministry to do it with joy and honor. It's God being able to use you and expand who He is in more lives of those who need Him.

Thanks for this thread Precious Galadriel. You are such a blessing and a wonderful breath of fresh air.

Love you much, my sister in Jesus... I truly do. :love3:

JaneBond007

Haha! I was just thinking today about how our cantor sucks. She has off-moments and some weird PIttsburgh accent that comes through her enunciation. It's awful...almost as awful as our last cantor who would bring TEARS to people barely able to hold their laughs. One time, Fr. nearly busted a gut. Now, that's pretty bad...but I bet she sounded precious to Jesus. You know like, precious to a mother/father in the way you could have had a baby with six heads but they are the most beautiful to you? Bwahaha.

Hey, Jesus appreciates you! I'm glad you filled in.

Galadriel

This is amazing and I do have something to share. :yep:

I've been in a few situations similar and I see it as God showing us what we else He has called us to or what we are capable of. That we can 'stand in' to keep the Ministry flowing.

I was called in to fill in for the nursery one Sunday as one of the helpers. This lead to being one of the team leaders to being in charge, with lesson plans and activities for the children. I wrote plays and songs for them to present to the Church for special occasions such as Christmas and Easter.

One of the greatest honors was when Pastor turned the entire Sunday service for Christmas over to me and my children from Sunday School Ministry. It was an awesome honor and a blessing and our Church Family was truly blessed by the message that the children shared about Jesus and the true meaning of Christmas. The children were putting Jesus above santa claus. As a matter of fact the play was entitled: "The Real King of Christmas".

I would say to anyone who is asked to fill in for someone in the Ministry to do it with joy and honor. It's God being able to use you and expand who He is in more lives of those who need Him.

Thanks for this thread Precious Galadriel. You are such a blessing and a wonderful breath of fresh air.

Love you much, my sister in Jesus... I truly do. :love3:

Shimmie, thank you! And it sounds like you did a wonderful thing for the children and the church! I'm sure it really blessed them, and God used you to help bring that about :yep:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Galadriel

Haha! I was just thinking today about how our cantor sucks. She has off-moments and some weird PIttsburgh accent that comes through her enunciation. It's awful...almost as awful as our last cantor who would bring TEARS to people barely able to hold their laughs. One time, Fr. nearly busted a gut. Now, that's pretty bad...but I bet she sounded precious to Jesus. You know like, precious to a mother/father in the way you could have had a baby with six heads but they are the most beautiful to you? Bwahaha.

:lol: You would bust a gut to hear me sing, JaneBond007 that's for sure.

JudithO

Hahahaha.. Are you in Pittsburgh? What parish is this?

Iwanthealthyhair67

yes, be ye also ready! Meaning just as we ready and prepare ourselves for the return of Christ this is the way we should be ready if someone doesn't show or in unable to perform their duties we should be able to step in at a moments notice.

I've been there can't say I've always been ready

JaneBond007

Hahahaha.. Are you in Pittsburgh? What parish is this?

Our worst cantor was in JoCo, KS before we moved here. Funniest thing, we also had the best cantor and as my friend's husband who I didn't know was trained on opera. He could SAAAANNNGGG!!! I got into trouble once and I just lost it in the cry room with that lady's vibrato. Sounded like someone's car stalling. I had tears and everything and then the kids started crying as well. A Mexican family (highly pious people...they don't play) came in and I was soooo trying to quelch the laughs but my whole face was red. They just looked at us like, "huh???" So embarrassing. Later on, I had to realize that she was just giving her time and talents and that none of us are perfect, that's for sure.

@Galadriel

Don't sweat it. We all are embarrassed and end up having to laugh at ourselves. It's the intent that counts. I hope you volunteer more to get over the nerves. I have a lot of funny cantor/music stories. Two Christmas' ago, our music minister started playing something weird and everybody was looking around, snickering. It was like Aladdin :lachen:. I know he tried to give the Christmas/Epiphany theme a Middle-eastern one, but good night! :drunk:

Last edited:

LiftedUp

Is being asked to pass the collection basket count?

If so, then yes :lol:

I was also asked to reassume my position on a committee I was on but at this point in my life, the time just doesn't permit.

CoilyFields

Woke up Sunday morning to a text saying that I was singing praise and worship today...by myself! The hired group (our church was small and just starting out so didnt have the talent to provide this in-house) could no longer do it!

I have horrible stage fright and just an ok singing voice. I had to pray my way into it. Now I'm the praise & Worship leader lol. And somehow the resident church wedding singer as well.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Woke up Sunday morning to a text saying that I was singing praise and worship today...by myself! The hired group (our church was small and just starting out so didnt have the talent to provide this in-house) could no longer do it!

I have horrible stage fright and just an ok singing voice. I had to pray my way into it. Now I'm the praise & Worship leader lol. And somehow the resident church wedding singer as well.

God is so amazing. He gives us each a special gift to give Him the Glory. You are just that special. :yep:

Galadriel

Woke up Sunday morning to a text saying that I was singing praise and worship today...by myself! The hired group (our church was small and just starting out so didnt have the talent to provide this in-house) could no longer do it! I have horrible stage fright and just an ok singing voice. I had to pray my way into it. Now I'm the praise & Worship leader lol. And somehow the resident church wedding singer as well.

Wow! Congrats! One of the best highlights from my wedding was the singer. You are definitely providing a great service to your church community.

Galadriel

Is being asked to pass the collection basket count? If so, then yes :lol: I was also asked to reassume my position on a committee I was on but at this point in my life, the time just doesn't permit.

LOL LiftedUp, you just reminded me of this sweet, dear elderly man who did the collection basket at my church this past week. He got a bit mixed up, but he was so cheerful, and you could tell he wanted to do well. A committee does sound like a lot of work, but it makes you realize how we need all these different roles. Truly it is, the Body of Christ.