Are we still Require to Tithe?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
This is an article regarding why Jews do not tithe today. Does this rule applies to us Christians? and Jesus never discussed tithing in the new testament. So what do you guys think.
hhttp://www.askelm.com/tithing/thi003.htm

Thanks

Jesus was very clear about tithing:

Matthew 23:23

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a

tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the

more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness.

You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former."

:Rose: :Rose: :Rose:

Luke 11:42

“Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue

and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God.You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.

Luke 11:42 -- Living Bible (TLB)

“But woe to you Pharisees! For though you are careful to tithe even the smallest part of your income, you completely forget about justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but you should not leave these other things undone.

kikigirl

This is an article regarding why Jews do not tithe today. Does this rule applies to us Christians? and Jesus never discussed tithing in the new testament. So what do you guys think. hhttp://www.askelm.com/tithing/thi003.htm Thanks

There is a growing trend among some Christians to try and turn tithing into a conviction-only matter. The argument is often that the requirement was part of OT law, and is not compulsory under the NT. I think this reasoning requires a lot of rationalization. As Shimmie posted, there are verses about tithing in the NT.

I know some fervent Christians that are staunch proponents of the conviction-only movement. I don't want to stereotype, but those have been folks that can barely make ends meet (I know these folks well enough to know about their financial status). I doubt there is a strong correlation because lots of poor folks tithe while many people with lots of disposable income do not (just going by general stats; IIRC, on average Christians only give 2% of their income?)

As a poor grad student for many years, I rarely encountered fellow students that argued the requirement to tithe. We knew it existed. Fulfilling it was the problem.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
kikigirl - I haven't tithed in over 10 years and I've never gone broke and I'm not struggling financially...my annual salary is between 50K-70K...and God continues to bless me physically and spiritually.

Xaragua - No. We are not required to tithe in order to please God nor for salvation. (2 Corithians 9:7). Just freely give to your heart's desire.