Heat damage?? How do i fix without cutting?

nappity

Well, the OP is going to cut it so the point is moot. BUT @ the bolded, if there is no change to the hair after a month, i.e., the only difference is that it's straight then I'd still say, 'why cut it'?

BTW - I'm not anti trimming or anti cutting. I do think that the automatic "cut it's" are part of a group think that I don't subscribe too.

Your absolutely right. Automatic cutting is not always the way to go. But those conditioners and creams for damaged hair is for hair thats damaged on the surface (cuticle)-. What she described sounds like cortex damage - that doesnt improve with conditioning and better care- as a matter of fact it detracts from the lushness. Every person relaxed or not can see when someones ends are so bad that it detracts. I opt for Healthy Hair. It just looks better without fried ends. For me I just got a sharp scissor and cut off- It was going to happen anyway and having those dried ends (for me) was a walking advertisement for unhealthy hair. Those of us who are proponents of cutting are just encouraging her to embrace what -from her description of her hair -is an inevitability. Even if you cut a little at a time as to not lose a drastic length. It'll eventually have to be removed.
The person who can truly create a product that can bring a dried out splitting porous hair end back to vitality is going to be a billionaire. We spend alot of money averting the root cause.
Oh and all hair is damaged- there is though a point of no return.

Artemis

Your absolutely right. Automatic cutting is not always the way to go. But those conditioners and creams for damaged hair is for hair thats damaged on the surface (cuticle)-. What she described sounds like cortex damage - that doesnt improve with conditioning and better care- as a matter of fact it detracts from the lushness. Every person relaxed or not can see when someones ends are so bad that it detracts. I opt for Healthy Hair. It just looks better without fried ends. For me I just got a sharp scissor and cut off- It was going to happen anyway and having those dried ends (for me) was a walking advertisement for unhealthy hair. Those of us who are proponents of cutting are just encouraging her to embrace what -from her description of her hair -is an inevitability. Even if you cut a little at a time as to not lose a drastic length. It'll eventually have to be removed.
The person who can truly create a product that can bring a dried out splitting porous hair end back to vitality is going to be a billionaire. We spend alot of money averting the root cause.
Oh and all hair is damaged- there is though a point of no return.

Thank you SO much for this post. I am never an advocate for quick cutting, but you took the words out of my mouth. Esp w/the bolded, I absolutely concur.

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

Well, the OP is going to cut it so the point is moot. BUT @ the bolded, if there is no change to the hair after a month, i.e., the only difference is that it's straight then I'd still say, 'why cut it'?

BTW - I'm not anti trimming or anti cutting. I do think that the automatic "cut it's" are part of a group think that I don't subscribe too.[/quote]
thats me right there:lachen: I think once you get to a lenght you are comfortable with, trimming your ends due to a mishap wont be as much as a decisive choice.

Artemis

BTW - I'm not anti trimming or anti cutting. I do think that the automatic "cut it's" are part of a group think that I don't subscribe too.[/quote]
thats me right there:lachen: I think once you get to a lenght you are comfortable with, trimming your ends due to a mishap wont be as much as a decisive choice.

Wait...didn't you just get a trim? :look: ;)

Agreeing to disagree with the basic concept of "health over length v. not" I guess is the real "moot point" of this thread :rolleyes:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Wait...didn't you just get a trim? :look: ;)

Agreeing to disagree with the basic concept of "health over length v. not" I guess is the real "moot point" of this thread :rolleyes:

I'm going to leave this thread because it is turning into pissing contest. But I will say that there is not one post in this thread where I mention sacrificing health for length. My position from my first post forward was questioning the parameters used to assess heat damage.

To the OP, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Peace out.

jwhitley6

This happened to me in August. I was lazy and went to a stylist instead of doing my own hair and she used too much heat and tension flat ironing. A couple of the straight spots broke very near the root and a couple in the nape area have gotten better but not completely reverted. I've been using Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor as a pre-poo and Affirm 5-in-1 to deep condition. I think I will try the hard core Aphogee soon and see what that does.

Like I said, it's not completely reverted but much better. I don't feel the need to cut it because it isn't split, discolored or breaking and is actually the silkiest strands on my head. I'm also almost APL and cutting my nape would take me back to SL/collar bone I've been using a lot less heat lately, so I think that is helping. I press my hair and wear it straight for a week then I do braid outs for a week or two & my hair looks great this way.

I agree with JCoily. Hold off on cutting if it's not breaking or interfering significantly with your hair styles of choice....Just my opinion. Good luck!

MissJ

I don't believe there is a product that will bring the texture back, BUT I would be braid/twist outing that section to match the rest of the texture and keep it moving.

If relaxed hair (with broken down bonds, etc.) can sustain heat applications on a regular basis then natural hair should be able to survive a once in a while pass through with a flat iron/blow dryer/pressing comb.

I wouldn't cut ISH!!!!!

I never thought about it like this. I saw my sister yesterday, who went natural without the help of this board. She straightens a lot and does not use heat protectant. She said that some of her ends in the front are straight. I told her that she would have to cut it, but she seriously does not want to. I guess I can tell her that there's another option now.

aja1121

If you burn the hair to the point that it's changed color, split and broken/breaking, then yeah cut it off. But failure to revert does not necessarily fall into any of the above categories.

If 'heat damage' = straight hair, then the relaxed heads and naturals on this board who wear their hair straight exclusively would all be bald.

I've read the manifesto. There is never just one answer to a problem.

ITA! Heat damage to most naturals just means that it won't revert...this doesn't mean that the hair is severly damaged and needs to be cut. My entire head is "heat damaged" and will not revert to it's original curl. It looks like I texlax. No I can't wear my natural styles anymore :ohwell:and yes it is not as healthy as it used to be, but it is still here, strong and growing. I know what I did wrong....and I learned my lesson, hair can only withstand 384 degrees of heat, I was using my solia at 450 once a week and no deep conditioning:nono:

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

If it's just your nape, invest in some perm rods and dust it until the straight ends are gone, don't cut it unless it is breaking.

Hmmm, so is the standard for knowing that hair is heat damaged is discoloration??? If that is the case, then a deep trim may not be in order for me. I checked last night and my hair is still the same 1B color as the rest of my hair. I am thinking that I need to step up my moisture game a bit more. Maybe that will help with the crazy breakage that I am experiencing. This is interesting....

Is there a thread that talks about different types of damage and how to treat them???

Artemis

*sigh* :wallbash:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cutie Martie, I hope that you will keep us posted on the outcome. Hopefully the Aveda will help and you don't have to even trim it, since it is in the nape area...But just keep an eye out for breakage and/or split ends, that way if you see any, you only have to search & destroy the split and nothing else.

Good luck :)

CurleeDST

I recommend cutting because I ask why live with suboptimal hair if you do not have to? Hair grows daily so it will grow back and thrive. Consider it a lessons learned and exercise extra caution if heat is used to style in the future.

BTW - I'm not anti trimming or anti cutting. I do think that the automatic "cut it's" are part of a group think that I don't subscribe too.

Mimi22

Hi again all!
Thankx for such fervent interest in the heat damage issue! I DC'd again last nite and it seems to have a loose curl to it. I'm going to gradually trim until I have a whole head of healthy curly hair! I have some straight ends (i think a poster said that THAT was a sign of heat damage as well), so I need to adopt more healthier practices. I used chi, but it the last visit to the JA salon that left my hair in such a horrid state!! :wallbash:

I havent noticed any breakage or any shedding. I'm really bad at the whole "look-for-split-ends-thing", so lets hope all i learn from LHCF can curb split end formation!

I love wearing an afro and straightening, so i need to care for my hair and find a balance between my two loves :lachen:

thanx again ladies, all ur input was duly appreciated!!! :grin:

Mimi22

BUMP!

Can Aphogee be used to aid heat damage? If so, which Aphogee treatment should I be looking for??

thanx!

Fine 4s

Cut it...no other way.

I've been fighting heat damage for YEARS. My last perm was in 1994. YEARS had passed and still every time I went to a new salon (as late as last year), the stylist always tried to convince me that I still had perm in my hair. I couldn't understand why they didn't believe me when I told them when my last touch-up was. I remember one stylist telling me (at a natural hair salon) that if I blow dry or press my hair that I'm not 'really' natural.

This statement actually made me think about something. Is 'natural' a code word for kinky (noticeably kinky and more)? If you hear someone say she's natural and then she shows you her hair pics and it's of straight texture, what goes through your mind? Do you consider the possibility of the person having 1-3 type hair?

Back to the point....heat damage.

I went to several salons to ask them why, when my hair was wet, it did not curl up as some other areas did. All of them would tell me that that was just how my hair texture was. Well, ever since I stopped going to the salon you should SEE the difference between the hair that has preserved its natural texture vs. hair that has been repeatedly blow dried for years. There is a clear demarcation line between the two textures on each strand. My hair salon regime was to wash, blow, press and curl. Then I realized I could skip the pressing so it became, wash, blow and curl. I cut down more steps and it became wash, rollerset and blow-dry (DR salon. Sometimes they blow it wet- I HATE that- happened twice). I had no home hair care regime. No moisturizers, no curling iron.

Anyway, when I get my camera, I'll post some pics of the heat damage. To make a long story short, I never cut the ends off but I don't blow dry often at all (haven't done it in 2007). I've read on this board some advice from others to wash, give tons of moisture and to avoid heat for some time. Give your hair time to snap back but my experience has been VERY different. However, the severity of my heat damage (repeat heat without protectant for years) maybe different if for you, it was a one time mistake. This is why I'm so afraid to go to my hair salon once I've reached my length goal. Because after reaching that length, my next goal is to have long kinky hair without those stringy ends...

So, you don't have to cut it but I can't speak to how healthy that is. My hair is just fine though.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Hmmm, so is the standard for knowing that hair is heat damaged is discoloration??? If that is the case, then a deep trim may not be in order for me. I checked last night and my hair is still the same 1B color as the rest of my hair. I am thinking that I need to step up my moisture game a bit more. Maybe that will help with the crazy breakage that I am experiencing. This is interesting....

Is there a thread that talks about different types of damage and how to treat them???

I refer to this pamplet quite a bit. On the page that's linked is a summary that describes how to identify damaged hair.

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_73.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Consider any misunderstandings in this thread squashed.

Fine 4s

The way I can tell if my hair has been damaged by heat is the hair strand is straight as if I had either type 1 or 2 hair (with no curl) when I'm actually a 4 something. The hair loses it's elasticity and the ability to curl. Your twists will not be plump but stringy and if you straighten your hair, it will be brittle and break easily.

jwhitley6

The 2 minute recon? What extent of damage does it cover? SEVERE OR MILD??

:perplexed

Hi Cutie...I don't know the answer that question. I detailed my experience in a earlier post in thread and you should go back and review it. I'm gonna try the hardcore one soon and see if my "damaged" area further improves.