MHM Hangout

faithVA

Thanks for your response. Why does clarifying work better for the co washes?

Best,
Almond Eyes

My hair is low porosity, probably get low. If I cowash on Monday then I have the layer of conditioner on my hair on Tuesday. If I just cowash again on Tuesday very little water is absorbing into my hair and I am laying another layer of conditioner on top of the previous layer. A third day of cowashing is absolutely useless because no waster is making it through the conditioner into my hair. Since my hair has a hard time absorbing water it really needs to be as bare as possible to maximize that.

I see now as well that conditioning and then applying a leave in doesn't work for my hair because the conditioner has already blocked my cuticle enough so the leave in just sits there. My hair was always dry even though I conditioned twice a week.

hairtimes5

Just a reminder to myself that Hattache.com and Wild Ginger have the mud puddle mud wash. Want to get some on Black Friday.

Anyone else buying stuff on black friday? If so what are you looking at?

I want to stock up on more Hello Curly, that's all I can think of for now. Oh and my order of rhassoul came in today. Plan to try it out this weekend.

SimplyWhole

1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube's

2. When did you start the regimen? September 2014

3. How often do you do the method? I did the seven days in a row. Now it is ~ every 5 to 7 days.

4. Benefits seen so far

Easier to detangle
Hair is soft and moisturized
Curls starting to pop without styling products
Less shrinkage
Need less styling products
My hair loves it

5. Anything else you would like to share. My method - very satisfied. I have low porosity hair and I believe it moving in the direction of normal. My hair does not takes as long to dry.

6. Starting Photo: (Will post later)

7. Current Picture if you have one. (Will post later)

8. List your steps and products.
1. Clarify: BS makes my scalp itch as well as castile soap - I'm still experimenting with the castile soap or I will use Come Clean diluted
2. Condition: Shea Moisture Masks and what I have on hand to use up stash. I use a heating cap or steamer.
3. Mud: I rotate between Rhassoul, Bentonite, Redmond, and Kaolin + water + honey + any oils. I also add Ayurvedic powders.
4. Leave-In: KCNT - I use my hand held steamer at this step.
5. Styler KCCC - I use the Anthony Dickey method after I apply gel I go back in shower and gently wet and thin shake - so it gets diluted using that method

Last edited:

faithVA

1. Which regimen are you doing? Pinkecube's

2. When did you start the regimen? September 2014

3. How often do you do the method? I did the seven days in a row. Now it is ~ every 5 to 7 days.

4. Benefits seen so far

Easier to detangle
Hair is soft and moisturized
Curls starting to pop without styling products
Less shrinkage
Need less styling products
My hair loves it

5. Anything else you would like to share. My method - very satisfied. I have low porosity hair and I believe it moving in the direction of normal. My hair does not takes as long to dry.

6. Starting Photo: (Will post later)

7. Current Picture if you have one. (Will post later)

8. List your steps and products.
1. Clarify: BS makes my scalp itch as well as castile soap - I'm still experimenting with the castile soap or I will use Come Clean diluted
2. Condition: Shea Moisture Masks and what I have on hand to use up stash. I use a heating cap or steamer.
3. Mud: I rotate between Rhassoul, Bentonite, Redmond, and Kaolin + water + honey + any oils. I also add Ayurvedic powders.
4. Leave-In: KCNT - I use my hand held steamer at this step.
5. Styler KCCC - I use the Anthony Dickey method after I apply gel I go back in shower and gently wet and thin shake - so it gets diluted using that method

Welcome SimplyWhole. It sounds like the pH is too high with the baking soda and castille soap. You may want to get oh strips if you decide to use them in the future. You can try using less baking soda or castille soap, 1 tbs or less.

You can also try spritzing your scalp with diluted acv before the mud step to help the pH rebalance.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Just a reminder to myself that Hattache.com and Wild Ginger have the mud puddle mud wash. Want to get some on Black Friday.

I've been wanting to try kinky curly products and more Giovanni products. I also want to get a q-redew steamer, but i don't know if i want to spend that much

faithVA

I've been wanting to try kinky curly products and more Giovanni products. I also want to get a q-redew steamer, but i don't know if i want to spend that much

I hear good things about the qredew. I might put that on my list too.

aharri23

Hopefully camille rose has a sale, btw if anyone uses shea moisture products they have BOGO sale at CVS until 11/15

aharri23

My hair is low porosity, probably get low. If I cowash on Monday then I have the layer of conditioner on my hair on Tuesday. If I just cowash again on Tuesday very little water is absorbing into my hair and I am laying another layer of conditioner on top of the previous layer. A third day of cowashing is absolutely useless because no waster is making it through the conditioner into my hair. Since my hair has a hard time absorbing water it really needs to be as bare as possible to maximize that.

I see now as well that conditioning and then applying a leave in doesn't work for my hair because the conditioner has already blocked my cuticle enough so the leave in just sits there. My hair was always dry even though I conditioned twice a week.

The same happens to me when I used to co-wash. I swear high porosity folks have it so easy. Just do CG method and get max hydration while we have to do this whole method consistently. Oh well I don't mind I suppose

tashboog

I'm on Instagram

I'm planning on buying the Mud puddle mud wash, Blue roze beauty strawberry hibiscus deep conditioner, Blue roze beauty flaxseed cream gel, Camille rose moisture milk, Camille rose curlmaker, Rahssoul clay, and haitian black castor oil :yep:. Shoot this list is small compared to my BF list before MHM :lol:.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
pelohello I'm a recovering PJ so the PJ in me already has a Q-Redew steamer :lol:. I've used it a few times before I went into protective style mode. It works really well to refresh ur curls and to lift ur cuticle so that you can add moisture without rewetting your hair. I think its more of a luxury product and if you're comfortable with spending the money than go for it. I did like that I can restyle my braid outs or twist outs without wetting my hair. I've seen several youtube videos of ladies using the Q-Redew to refresh their wash n go's. I haven't done a wash n go yet, but when I do, I'm planning to use my Q-Redew to refresh my curls :yep:. I'm also on her mailing list and she sends discount codes occasionally so if I get one then I'll post it so that you can get some money off of the Q-Redew. There may be one coming up for black friday so I'll keep a look out for it :grin:.

faithVA

I'm not a product junkie but all of you are turning me into one. : lol: I'm kidding. Before mhm it was useless to buy a lot of stuff because 90% of it wouldn't work in my hair and I hate wasting money. But now things are working better in my hair and I know what to look for. Since I don't wear WNGs I'm looking for a good styler.

My black Friday list before MHM was always 0. I think I'm sitting at around 15 things right now. But I'm still cheap so we shall see how that list gets cut down.

faithVA

The same happens to me when I used to co-wash. I swear high porosity folks have it so easy. Just do CG method and get max hydration while we have to do this whole method consistently. Oh well I don't mind I suppose

Its better than it was. I'm just glad to have a regimen for me.

Guinan

Re-Branding
@pelohello I'm a recovering PJ so the PJ in me already has a Q-Redew steamer :lol:. I've used it a few times before I went into protective style mode. It works really well to refresh ur curls and to lift ur cuticle so that you can add moisture without rewetting your hair. I think its more of a luxury product and if you're comfortable with spending the money than go for it. I did like that I can restyle my braid outs or twist outs without wetting my hair. I've seen several youtube videos of ladies using the Q-Redew to refresh their wash n go's. I haven't done a wash n go yet, but when I do, I'm planning to use my Q-Redew to refresh my curls :yep:. I'm also on her mailing list and she sends discount codes occasionally so if I get one then I'll post it so that you can get some money off of the Q-Redew. There may be one coming up for black friday so I'll keep a look out for it :grin:.

Great review! That's primarily why I want a q-redew to refreshen my hair for my twist-outs and wng's. Did you order yours from the q-redew website or somewhere else? I saw that Amazon was selling it to; but I believe it is coming from the q-redew site, but I'm not sure.

hairtimes5

Since I get bored with my hair easily I watched some vids yesterday on styling wng's. I decided to cut some bangs, big mistake. I am not liking this look on me. I think I need to cut them shorter but I'm scared too. Should've left my hair alone. Oh well :(

Since I planned on doing my hair this morning I put my hair in a low pony last night and did the GHE. My hair came out so soft and moisturized this morning. That wasn't surprising but what was was that since I didn't do the ponytail loose I was expecting a big dent from the elastic band but there wasn't one. Now I want to purchase some satin scrunchies. Anybody know where I can get them on the ground?

Last thing, I used ACV for step 1 this morning and I liked it. I used ACV to cleanse for several mos about a yr ago and my hair was shedding so bad that I just attributed it to the ACV and stopped. So I'll keep an eye out for increased shedding, otherwise I plan to alternate between the ACV and BS condish for step 1.

I tried uploading pics from phone but it didn't work, maybe something I'm doing wrong.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Since I get bored with my hair easily I watched some vids yesterday on styling wng's. I decided to cut some bangs, big mistake. I am not liking this look on me. I think I need to cut them shorter but I'm scared too. Should've left my hair alone. Oh well :(

Since I planned on doing my hair this morning I put my hair in a low pony last night and did the GHE. My hair came out so soft and moisturized this morning. That wasn't surprising but what was was that since I didn't do the ponytail loose I was expecting a big dent from the elastic band but there wasn't one. Now I want to purchase some satin scrunchies. Anybody know where I can get them on the ground?

Last thing, I used ACV for step 1 this morning and I liked it. I used ACV to cleanse for several mos about a yr ago and my hair was shedding so bad that I just attributed it to the ACV and stopped. So I'll keep an eye out for increased shedding, otherwise I plan to alternate between the ACV and BS condish for step 1.

I tried uploading pics from phone but it didn't work, maybe something I'm doing wrong.

You can get the satin hair ties from anywhere. The places that I've purchased them at are: Target, Sally's and CVS.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I think I may give the BS a try. How "fresh" does the BS need to be? I have a box of BS in the fridge that's several yrs old:blush:

Honey Bee

pelohello, BS goes bad? :look:

I straightened my hair last week and, for the first time, I'm concerned for the health of my curls. I used heat protectant and set my flat iron at 370. I should be okay... right? I miss my little coilies.

Guinan

Re-Branding

I straightened my hair last week and, for the first time, I'm concerned for the health of my curls. I used heat protectant and set my flat iron at 370. I should be okay... right? I miss my little coilies.

Idk if BS goes bad but i think there may be something like the freshness of it. Idk

I flat ironed my hair @ 410 & used two heat protectants. Ill find out this weekend if my curls got damaged. But i think u should be fine. I read that sometimes it takes a couple of washes for ur hair to go back to normal; but idk if that's true.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Great review! That's primarily why I want a q-redew to refreshen my hair for my twist-outs and wng's. Did you order yours from the q-redew website or somewhere else? I saw that Amazon was selling it to; but I believe it is coming from the q-redew site, but I'm not sure.
Yes I ordered mine from the actual q-redew website. I paid full price but I'm going to get my money's worth :lol:. You can order it from amazon cuz it's coming from her website. Just make sure the vendor says q-redew before you make your purchase.

faithVA

Sorry to hear about the bangs. You may want to watch some videos on cutting bangs. Maybe let it grow out some more before you try it again.

You can probably find scrunchies anywhere: Dollar Tree, Big Lots, CVS, Walgreens, Department stores, Walmart, Target, Sally's, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Ulta,bss, etc. It just depends on how much you want to spend and the demographic. You may have to shop around a little bit to learn your territory and who has what.

No suggestions for the photo. I haven't tried to upload from my phone.

faithVA

I think I may give the BS a try. How "fresh" does the BS need to be? I have a box of BS in the fridge that's several yrs old:blush:

I've used old BS. Try putting a tbsp in some water. If it fizzes it is good to go.

Are you low po, normal or high po. I recommend starting with 1/2 tbsp to 1 tbsp to see how you like it. I think some people start with 2 tbsp and find it is too much.

If you are normal or high po, you may want to start with 1/2 tbsp. And check your hair after 15 minutes to see how it is doing.

faithVA

I've never known it to :lol:

I think you will be just fine. I'm sure your hair was nicely hydrated before. Your curls should return good as new :yep:

Honey Bee

Ok, y'all special report from the hair color front...

In my feverish search for more information, I stumbled upon a site called killerstrands.com. She's a professional, doing it for decades in Malibu, iirc. (which, as you know= blondes everywhere). She also has a shop where she sells professional-only color. Forget Sally's, when I do it, I'm buying supplies from her. :yep: Oh, she also custom blends conditioners for your color.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
I have a Q-Redew and use it to refresh my twistouts and wash and go's. I generally use the steam from the shower to refresh my hair but when I don't want to hop in the shower I use the Q-Redew.

Initial Impressions Review: Camille Rose Curl Maker. This product may not be for me. It didn't define my stubborn areas well at all. Absolutely no shine. Plus my hair is still crunchy on Day 3. I'll give it a couple more goes and try diluting it.

As for Black Friday I'm hoping to get more CC Naturals flaxseed gel and Kinky Curly Curling Custard. I just tried the Mud Puddle and if I still like it after a couple more tries I'll pick up some more. I love the consistency and non-messiness of it.

faithVA

Ok, y'all special report from the hair color front...

In my feverish search for more information, I stumbled upon a site called killerstrands.com. She's a professional, doing it for decades in Malibu, iirc. (which, as you know= blondes everywhere). She also has a shop where she sells professional-only color. Forget Sally's, when I do it, I'm buying supplies from her. :yep: Oh, she also custom blends conditioners for your color.

Let us know when you make the move.

faithVA

I have a Q-Redew and use it to refresh my twistouts and wash and go's. I generally use the steam from the shower to refresh my hair but when I don't want to hop in the shower I use the Q-Redew.

Initial Impressions Review: Camille Rose Curl Maker. This product may not be for me. It didn't define my stubborn areas well at all. Absolutely no shine. Plus my hair is still crunchy on Day 3. I'll give it a couple more goes and try diluting it.

As for Black Friday I'm hoping to get more CC Naturals flaxseed gel and Kinky Curly Curling Custard. I just tried the Mud Puddle and if I still like it after a couple more tries I'll pick up some more. I love the consistency and non-messiness of it.

Maybe put the Curl Maker on the shelf until your stubborn areas are more defined. I think Aharris23 is fully hydrated. Perhaps with more hydration, you can use less and get past the crunch. Did you try a little oil before or after it?

hairtimes5

Pictures finally, couldn't do it from my phone. 1) is before starting MHM, 2) is product free hair after finishing the 7 day start up, 3) today's wng, 4) the bangs I wish I hadn't cut.

btw faithVA I watched a few videos on cutting bangs. I don't think it was my technique (except that they could be shorter), I just don't like it on me. Oh and thanks for the info on the satin scrunchies.

Attachments

• 20140524_094443.jpg
    20140524_094443.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 20141108_133906.jpg
    20141108_133906.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 20141113_131339.jpg
    20141113_131339.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 20141111_170358.jpg
    20141111_170358.jpg