TWA Support Thread

APrayer4Hair

Hello all!

Are there any other ladies out there currently rocking a TWA? I thought this thread would be useful for any other new naturals. I feel kinda alone because I'm the only natural head I know. Let's get together and support one another as our hair grows out!! :grouphug:

Please provide:

1. BC date

2. Hair type/ describe your hair

3. Reggie/Products

4. Goal(s)

Edited to add:
5. Current pic or pic of BC:gorgeous:

(if u think anything else should be added let me know. This is my first time starting this type of thread :blush:)

Last edited:

CurlsOnFire23

1. BC date 1st BC (2009) 2nd BC (2011)

2. Hair type/ describe your hair: 3C hair on the sides/back 4C on top

3. Reggie/Products: Shea moisture deep treatment makes my hair feel like the tail of a newborn unicorn. My oil mixture..water..

4. Goal(s): Waist length

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I don't know if I'm still in TWA territory but this thread looks like it will be fun so I'll post anyway.

1. BC date: Nov. 19th, 2010! Currently, my hair is grazing APL but it shrinks up to SL in stretched out styles.

2. Hair type/ describe your hair: I don't care much for the typing system anymore, my hair is highly textured kinky fabulousness. :lol:

3. Reggie/Products: It's pretty basic, I mostly protective style so my routine is no fuss.. Pre-treatment with coconut oil (and lightly detangle if needed) the night before I plan to wash. Then on wash day I use a sulfate-free shampoo, condition and detangle, moisturize and seal and braid it up. The rest of the week re-moisturize and seal whenever needed, usually every few days.

4. Goal(s): BSL for now.

faithVA

1. BC date: 8/4/2012

2. Hair type/ describe your hair: 4b, low porosity

3. Reggie/Products: curly girl; for right now mostly deva curl and AO products

4. Goal(s) : 1st a puff, then a bun

Just big chopped yesterday. This is my second time. It is as rough as the first time. Once I get through this week mentally I will be ok. I know more this time than the first so hopefully it will be better growing.

My 1st big chop I shaved. This one I cut to 2"

BigChop (640x482).jpg

Last edited:

APrayer4Hair

Please provide:

1. BC date
June 6,2012; transitioned 2 months

IDK hair type...i'd guess 4a?? Majority springy coils, some areas are soft/cottony. Colored. Can be a little dry sometimes.

3. Reggie/Products
Curly Girl Method. Daily co wash with cheapie condish (tresemme naturals, sauve natural,etc) Leave-in/moisturizer- Kimmaytube LI. Lately ive been adding a little Ecostyler (blue)

4. Goal(s)
12/31/12-between EL/SL
Ultimate-BSL/MBL

Thanks for the responses ladies :hug:

Will add my current pic from my phone in a few :drunk:

BonBon

1. BC date

Didn't BC, it all fell out because of stress. Still upset about it lol but looking after it to grow it back now.

4a/b
3. Reggie/Products
Spray with diluted African Royal most days, use megatek on scalp every 2 days. Keep it simple is the way to go.

4. Goal(s)
Healthy Shoulder length. I don't look good with long hair.

Seamonster

1. BC date
June 2012

4a/b

3. Reggie/Products
Spray with diluted spritz mix, use megatek on scalp every 2 days. Follow every band wagon.

4. Goal(s)
I am on the hunt for nose length twist. Full Shoulder Length A Line bob is my longer term go. My long term goal is to grow to terminal.

SimFio

1. BC date ::: 7/26/2012

2. Hair type/ describe your hair:::: No Clue!! Somewhere in the 4 region. About 3 different textures in there - 1. curly, 2. straight, and 3. disrespectful (in the middle)

3. Reggie/Products ::: Wash whenever my hair gets oily/itchy with KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo (That stuff is the business!). DC every week - rotate between Kerapro Intensive, KeraCare Reconstructive (is thats it?), Kenra MC and Joico Moisture recory Conditioner. Use Suave Humectant to comb out in the shower. Cannot detangle without cones in the shower. I tried to go cone free. Failed miserably. Pain isnt worth it. Then I add my NTM Leave in, throw on some shea butter and roller set. I tried doing the curly hair thing since i'm newly chopped, BUT either i have heat damage at the front of my head, or my hair no longer curls. So the back is EXTRA curly, and the front is dead straight like its relaxed. The left side used to be curly, but i went to the salon last week for my shape up (I think I have an afro mullet...worst shape up ever!) and she flat ironed my hair and i heard the left side fry soooo good. It hasnt curled since... SO about 3/4 of the front is straight, then some 3C curls to the right. Looks very dumb!

4. Goal(s)
Main goal is to get the front to curl. Havent had a relaxer since November 2011 and my hair grows mega-slow, so maybe its still relaxed at the front....yeh lets go with that. I'm sure i'm not doomed to have straight hair at the front for the rest of my life.... Not too concerned with the length for now. Just want some health, some strength, less shedding, and HHG!!!!

faithVA

Seamonster, I forgot you big chopped. Cool, we can hang out together for a minute. I posted my pic. I like my hair off my face so trying to gel it back. Have no clue what I'm doing :lol:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I'm gonna love this thread!

1. BC date: July 1, 2012, chopped to about 2inches. It is now almost 3!

2. Hair type/ describe your hair: Mostly in my siggie, but 4a-4c, fine, not so thin anymore thanks to lhcf!

3. Reggie/Products: No shampoo! "Major" cowash once a week & moisture DC with heat. Regular cowash and 2min protein condish mid-week. Tea and oil rinsing. Teas also as leave-ins (my hair hates regular leave in as much as shampoo!) Henna monthly, optimally twice but time doesnt always allow. Sealing with any of these depending on dryness/style I wanna rock: castor oil, ceramide oils, butter cream mix, or sulfur grease. Chelate 1-2x a month with baking soda.

4. Goal(s): Healthy hair and BSL :drunk:

5. Current pic or pic of BC:gorgeous:: See siggie.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Hey @faithVA!! Congrats on your BC... it was hard, I know. But starting over feels so good in the long run.

I rotate through:
1. Lightly Straightened twist outs
2. dry flat twist out
3. still working on the wash and gos (will update the blog and 'struggling' thread soon)
4. the plain old Afro,
4a. sometimes a partial 'frohawk that I make tamer for the corporate world
5. I also have some curlformers I'm gonna get brave enough to try soon just need a hook!
6. I'm tempted to just flat iron it fully straight and bump some curls for a week here and there.

There's surprisingly much you can do with only 2-3 inches!

Seamonster

faithVA Yea girl, eyeball length ain't no joke. Trying to make full nose length with healthy hair. Your deva cut looks great! Your curls are popping. Did you enjoy the experience?

SimFio

APrayer4Hair said:
SimFio

:welcome: :bighug:

I'm new to natural but I remember hearing that a hardcore protein treatment may restore curl pattern.

How hardcore am I going? Crispy hair frightens me you know...yikes!

R.A.A.H

1. BC date -December 16, 2011

i have looser strands and tighter strands throughout, but i think im mostly 4a. i have a lot of springy curls/coils and they clump together with the right stuff or just plain water/cond. i have high porosity hair, it sucks up moisture fast and if im washing it, i can't soak my hair with water because it wont take anything else. i get a lot of splits for some strange reason without using heat (i barely blowdry) my hair LOVES ecostyler gel. the curls are so defined after using it. i think my hair likes hydrolyzed wheat protein.

3. Reggie/Products
i dont have one as of yet but my main products are megatek and monistat, i cowash everyday with no cones. no sulfates
4. Goal(s)
* healthy hair, no splits nor unnecessary trimming of ssks
*MBL natural hair

5. Current pic or pic of BC
MY BC @ Feb, i was stretching my hair because im impatient lol. i can't wait to rock a pony!
excuse the chipped nail polish--ya girl was studying for finals and i aint have time! lol

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=327887 said:
Seamonster[/USER];16560225]@faithVA Yea girl, eyeball length ain't no joke. Trying to make full nose length with healthy hair. Your deva cut looks great! Your curls are popping. Did you enjoy the experience?

Full nose length :lol: Cool.

This isn't my deva cut. I did get the cut and I enjoyed the experience. But because he was cutting curl by curl and trying to get a style he left behind a lot of the damaged ends. So I came home and just chopped it to an even 2 inches. Because the damage really was like the analyst said, all the way to 2" on my hair. I think I got most of it but even now I am finding stray strands that I am having to chop off.

But thanks for the compliment. Still trying to figure out how to work it. Going to be a lot of head bands for the next few months. :yep:

Curls are popping? :lol: Its a camera trick. The very front section is the only placed that has any curls. The rest of my hair went on strike.

APrayer4Hair

SimFio when I was relaxed I use to love DuoTex. I think it's more medium strength so maybe that'll be a good starting point. OR maybe an egg for protein????

Bumping for more replies 4 u

faithVA

Hey @faithVA!! Congrats on your BC... it was hard, I know. But starting over feels so good in the long run.

I rotate through:
1. Lightly Straightened twist outs
2. dry flat twist out
3. still working on the wash and gos (will update the blog and 'struggling' thread soon)
4. the plain old Afro,
4a. sometimes a partial 'frohawk that I make tamer for the corporate world
5. I also have some curlformers I'm gonna get brave enough to try soon just need a hook!
6. I'm tempted to just flat iron it fully straight and bump some curls for a week here and there.

There's surprisingly much you can do with only 2-3 inches!

Doing twists or flat twists at 2 inches is possible but a lot of work. 3" should be much better. Maybe even 2.5" will work. Let's see what September brings.

I can't even imagine trying to put curlformers on 2". :lol:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Doing twists or flat twists at 2 inches is possible but a lot of work. 3" should be much better. Maybe even 2.5" will work. Let's see what September brings.

I can't even imagine trying to put curlformers on 2". :lol:
@faithVA
:lachen: LOL! You aint jokin on the 'formers, but guess what?...

just ordered the hook and I'm so gonna try! muahaha! :spinning:

Ohhh And I was watchin some YT today and I saw some TWA sistahs doing straw sets! If it's too short for the formers, I'm sure I can rock the straws. lol

ETA: I've got very adept at the flat twist on 2inches. When I BCd it was really hard to grab but I still made it work. Took about 45min to do it every night. ugh. which is why the perfect wng experimenting

Last edited:

faithVA

@faithVA
:lachen: LOL! You aint jokin on the 'formers, but guess what?...

just ordered the hook and I'm so gonna try! muahaha! :spinning:

Ohhh And I was watchin some YT today and I saw some TWA sistahs doing straw sets! If it's too short for the formers, I'm sure I can rock the straws. lol

Please share the yt videos. I have some straws I'm not using.

Good luck with the curlformers. It's worth a shot.

kupenda

*bursts in thread* I AM AMONG FRIENDS! *kisses ground* YES!

Hi guys!
1. BC date- I BC'd on March 19, 2012

2. Hair type/ describe your hair- Idk. I am surely a type 4 in some parts and type 3 in others. Kinky, coily, curly, wavy, and bone straight. I have s curls, c curls, o curls, elvis waves, and twig strands. Curl definition is almost not an option since i dont have many "patches", instead my diff hair types are spread throughout. I have coarse (i mean pube thick), medium, and super fine (thin wisps of silky nothingness that i swore was fabric until i saw bulbs on the end) strands

3. Reggie/Products- Ehhh...no reggie. Too lazy for that. Everything I do is "as needed". I know my hair loves protein (my relaxed hair hated it. go figure) so I make sure to incorporate it in there at least once a week. The only thing I do consistently is rinse with water before going out, because it unsquishes the parts that I slept on. My favorite conditioner right now is ORS Hairepair in the little packets. I get about two or three DC's out of that. I did my first set of twists two days ago. SO far, I dont despise them so Im good.

4. Goal(s) So far, I want to reach healthy, thick, balanced tailbone length. I am natural but I love relaxed hair just as much so I am not running from chemicals. I am not timing myself, I have too much going on right now for hair growth. Instead I do a length check with my finger when im messing with my hair. I pull a section and measure it on my finger. Right now, starting from the tip, I have passed my knuckle on my pointer finger.

5. Will post pics when I get back on my phone. I have plenty

faithVA

They all kind of ramble, but I just skip through to see what it looks like

Thank You. I did take a look. Looks like something I can do. I'm going to need more hair though, otherwise I will be crazy. They were working with at least 4".