Shingling- Post Your Before & After Pics

Southernbella.

SouthernBella. what was your technique used? did you use a Denman? My sisters hair is almost identical to yours thickness and everything. Next time Im home, I want to try it on her hair.

tia.

I used the Denman and the same technique as Miss Jessie's. I used a curl pudding recipe I found here on LHCF. The only difference is that I didn't sit under the dryer, I used a diffuser.

MissBCurly

Pics from my latest shingle as I said Id post. its not my best one but it works for me =)

before.

before.

before.

Back After.

after looser side of my hair.

curlier side of my hair

top (pinned back, because my hair tends to fall forward like bangs which I hate)

Cassandra1975

Shingling doesn't work for me. Got some CNapp at the top of my head, and the sides are a different texture than the back. My journey with natural hair got so much easier when I realized I did not have "curly" hair.

Everyone who has posted pics has some great looking hair! :yep:

yodie

Probably a not so bright question... but how do you shingle?

Do I apply KCCC or some other pudding on wet hair, Brush or comb through each section and then diffuse?

MixedBerry

All I want to do is drink and fuhk.
Sooo...whats the difference between putting gel/any curl-definition-giver in ones hair on a regular basis, versus "shingling"?

It seems like the same thing? Someone please break it down....

wait, is the only difference the hair dryer part???

CarLiTa

i'm loving this thread.
i'm looking forward to trying this method when natural (whenever that is :look:)
i really like the before and after pix on the website.

how much does it cost to shingle professionally?

Creatividual

Great pics ladies. I did it recently with conditioner like how Teri from tightlycurly.com does but I didn't like how it came out at all. I might have used too much conditioner though or maybe I needed to use a diff conditioner.

Next time, I will try it with a jelly or pudding.

socurlyqt

Pics from my latest shingle as I said Id post. its not my best one but it works for me =)

before.

before.

before.

Back After.

after looser side of my hair.

curlier side of my hair

top (pinned back, because my hair tends to fall forward like bangs which I hate)

What products did you use? it looks awesome!

Queen_Earth

the pantene hydrating curls conditioner....it's ok to use leave that conditioner in? the directions say to rinse it out..or are yall using the gel?

chosen07

I want to try this- I always wondered if this method was best for more naturally curlier head women...I'll have my bff give it a try this weekend though.

Last edited:

MissBCurly

the pictures here are the after from silkeners (their special chemical process)...not necessarily shingling. I just realized this after looking at it again...

not ALL of them. you have to read the the process per person on the side it will say NATURAL or received SILKINER...it shows that even tightly coiled hair can benefit from shingling too =)

luckiestdestiny

the pictures here are the after from silkeners (their special chemical process)...not necessarily shingling. I just realized this after looking at it again...

That's not true. If you check the link it says client's hair is natural, but on page 2 it has one with a texturizer and one with a silkiner. They mention which one is natural and which one had a chemical process.

Kurly K

OK I TRIED IT!! no really before pic jus morning hair...cowash daily, applied pantene hydrating curls then followed the miss jessie youtube method minus the hand held blow drying part

AFTER

it didnt make that much of a difference for me.

serenity326

This was shortly after my BC. This thread has inspired me to try again. I think I'm going to use Serenity's method and use the Hydrating Curls conditioner!

Goodness!!! Have I ever mentioned in another thread how much I love your hair?!?!?!

serenity326, you lurker you. Your fotki is about to BLOW UP! lol

AND, you from Chicago. You have to come to a meetup!

LMAO at this comment!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I hadn't really thought about coming to a meet up, but it could be fun! I have been traveling for work like crazy, so it won't be anytime soon, but maybe by summer I will have the chance! :grin:

Yummy!!!! :lick:

Sooo...whats the difference between putting gel/any curl-definition-giver in ones hair on a regular basis, versus "shingling"?

It seems like the same thing? Someone please break it down....

wait, is the only difference the hair dryer part???

I think its all in the technique.

Shingling is meant to weigh each strand of your hair down with product in a way that elongates the curls. The miss jessies website suggests you dry under a hooded dryer, and then use a hand dryer to physically elongate/stretch the curl (which is too much D@#MN work for me...)

You need to evenly distribute the product, elongating the curl while applying... I don't know about you, but my patience is too short (and time too limited) to take this much pain with my hair regularly.

When I put gel in my hair, I typically do a half A$$ job of application, and then the product is too light to really weigh my hair down - which is where the conditioner comes in (and not some wimpy lightweight conditioner either - something with some MEAT!!!) :lachen:

i'm loving this thread.
i'm looking forward to trying this method when natural (whenever that is :look:)
i really like the before and after pix on the website.

how much does it cost to shingle professionally?

It cost me ~$100 to have someone just apply it on my freshly BC'd hair (ahhhhh, the things you will do as a newbie - wish I had my money back now, but it was fun while it lasted)... This excluded the ridiculous price I paid for a wash and cut by a curly hair expert

the pantene hydrating curls conditioner....it's ok to use leave that conditioner in? the directions say to rinse it out..or are yall using the gel?

I have experienced no issues from leaving conditioner in my hair... Did it when I was relaxed (for the crimped/wavy look, mixed with infusium repairologie) and now that I am natural... I wouldn't worry about it, though I am sure there are people who would...

yodie

I tried shingling today and feel like a complete hair failure. My hair looked a mess and I hated it.

SEMO

Serenity, girl my eyeballs almost fell outta my head seeing your shingling pics. Your hair looked awesome. If mine came out like that I would be tempted to do that style everyday. Gon head wit yo bad self!

Here are my pics (they're a bit old). I haven't shingled in awhile, but this thread is making me reconsider why I'm not.

Before (or my normal look):

After (I think I should have finger separated the curls some more):

I don't think I did that good of a job. I just got a couple weirdly fat curls. I'll have to try this again and do a better job.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I had no idea this was called shingling but I've been doing a form of this for a while.
I have too much hair to do the whole head all the time so I usually do it with my ponytails -
no shingling ponytail:

shingling ponytails:

no product whole head:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/nekkid hair/wet.jpg

whole head shingled w/ KCCC:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/kinky curly trrial 1 Dec 08/Christmascardpictures08111.jpg

CHECKMATE!

I thought I was going to walk in here and be blown away at all the shingling pics... but where are they!?!?! I have tried it a couple times, with mixed results, but will share anyway...

This is from my BC in Mar, 2007, and was shingled with Ms. Jessies Curly Pudding:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

This is after she stretched it with heat:

This picture is from that summer, and is a type of shingling process (brushing the product through and letting it dry), and was done with eco-styler gel and cantu shea butter leave-in

Here is a shingle I did myself, a year after my BC using curly pudding (not that cute, especially from the front, but at least you get the picture):

Another photo of something similar to shingling, but it was done with pantene hydrating curls conditioner instead of curly pudding (brushed through with a denman brush and in the process of air drying):

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes if you all try it! :grin:

Your curl definition is unbelievable!!!! Beautiful hair! :yep:

SEMO

Wavezncurlz, your hair is uberly pretty. You should definitely have a fotki (if you don't already).

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Wavezncurlz, your hair is uberly pretty. You should definitely have a fotki (if you don't already).

You are sweet. I don't have a fotki. I need to build one. I have some photos in photobucket. I will put the link and password in my profile.