Shingling- Post Your Before & After Pics

laurend

I just tried a test curl in the front of my hair(midnight in Chi town), oh well this won't work for me. My hair is too long in the front and too straight. I think the back will curl up but the front is just a hot frizzy mess.:lachen: I'm glad I didn't waste my time doing my whole head.

Last edited:

laurend

Ok ladies, I have a bone to pick with some of you. You guys got me excited about doing the shingling method thinking about trying something new and what do I get , a HFM. :lachen: Some of us don't have curl definition. My back has it but my front is just straight and frizzy. I kind of knew this wasn't going to work, that's why I did a test curl. If anybody again suggest getting curl definition by some method we are going to:catfight:

lashannasmall

That first before and after pic you have with Miss Jessie's curly pudding looks very good. But I wonder if you have to have a specific hair texture to be able to shingle? I'm thinking no matter how much prods I put on and how much I shingle, it's still not going to have any definition...I hope I'm wrong cuz this looks very nice!

You will have to have 4A hair or looser. 4B will just look like a slicked back mess.

lashannasmall

I just tried a test curl in the front of my hair(midnight in Chi town), oh well this won't work for me. My hair is too long in the front and too straight. I think the back will curl up but the front is just a hot frizzy mess.:lachen: I'm glad I didn't waste my time doing my whole head.

My daughter has this problem. If you pull you hair back all the time, you can loose the curl in the front. With my daugther, we just do something cute in the front like some flat twist or I pull it back with a flower clip like Nicey Nash on Clean houe or some type of barrette and I leave the back curly. Very cute

MissMeWithThatIsh

I kinda have the same problem... that's why I stopped texturizing.

RavenMaven

I thought I was going to walk in here and be blown away at all the shingling pics... but where are they!?!?! I have tried it a couple times, with mixed results, but will share anyway...

This is from my BC in Mar, 2007, and was shingled with Ms. Jessies Curly Pudding:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

This is after she stretched it with heat:

This picture is from that summer, and is a type of shingling process (brushing the product through and letting it dry), and was done with eco-styler gel and cantu shea butter leave-in

Here is a shingle I did myself, a year after my BC using curly pudding (not that cute, especially from the front, but at least you get the picture):

Another photo of something similar to shingling, but it was done with pantene hydrating curls conditioner instead of curly pudding (brushed through with a denman brush and in the process of air drying):

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes if you all try it! :grin:
Welp..... that took the cake for me!! No one else needs to post shingling pics after that!!!

discobiscuits

Again, I love your pics Serenity. Ladies, I'm begging as a member who views threads on a PDA, please remember that when you quote a member's post that has pics esp. pic heavy posts, it is really hard on us PDA viewers.

but even with that, i love seeing hair pics.

thanks in advance.

Honey01

Serenity, your pics are great. They are helpful. I have been on YouTube all weekend looking for inspiration to transition.

Sugarhoney

I thought I was going to walk in here and be blown away at all the shingling pics... but where are they!?!?! I have tried it a couple times, with mixed results, but will share anyway...

This is from my BC in Mar, 2007, and was shingled with Ms. Jessies Curly Pudding:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

This picture is from that summer, and is a type of shingling process (brushing the product through and letting it dry), and was done with eco-styler gel and cantu shea butter leave-in

Here is a shingle I did myself, a year after my BC using curly pudding (not that cute, especially from the front, but at least you get the picture):

Another photo of something similar to shingling, but it was done with pantene hydrating curls conditioner instead of curly pudding (brushed through with a denman brush and in the process of air drying):

Wow, your hair is so amazing! It is breathtaking! I found a new hair idol! Thanks for sharing. :grin::grin::grin:

dlewis

I had no idea what this was called when I was doing it

before hair/ no product - excuse the shine I had been working in my garden

day 1

day 2

I let mine air dry

dlewis

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Beautiful. just beautiful

Southernbella.

This was shortly after my BC. This thread has inspired me to try again. I think I'm going to use Serenity's method and use the Hydrating Curls conditioner!

Last edited:

half.cadence

This was shortly after my BC. This thread has inspired me to try again. I think I'm going to use Serenity's method and use the Hydrating Curls conditioner!

SouthernBella. what was your technique used? did you use a Denman? My sisters hair is almost identical to yours thickness and everything. Next time Im home, I want to try it on her hair.

tia.

TG2000

Do you have to have natural hair or can this be done on relaxed hair? (I feel like this is a dumb question):look:

ajoyfuljoy

serenity326, you lurker you. Your fotki is about to BLOW UP! lol

AND, you from Chicago. You have to come to a meetup!

Last edited:

Tami2shoes

this thread is right on time! i've been thinking that i am going to try and start shinging and wearing wash-n-go's this summer now that my hair is longer.

very nice ladies!

infojunkie

^^^^ Amen, amen! Right on time indeed. I'm 2 weeks natural and can't wait to try some type of curly do with my new curls!!! :grin: