Shingling- Post Your Before & After Pics

♦K.O♦

I dont have any pics, but I'd like to see yours! I tried searching for threads, but did not see any.

POST THOSE PICS!

Nonie

I'd post my pics except I went to get my hair shingled and left with what my dear sistahs here told me was a H.A.M. and wasn't even the finger-coils I was told I was given. :lachen:

Ganjababy

I shingled for the first time today with miss jessies and I am feeling sick from the smell. It is nauseating. Sorry I am too lazy to post pics now. Though it is not worth the 50 bucks, it is not as bad as I thought, slightly better than IC fantasia gel

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I hate the fact that my natural hair needs a ton of gel to get really good curl definition. In fact, I am just about ready to give up curl defining my natural hair.:rolleyes: I got really god definition with short hair, but now my hair looks like a mullet if I try to define it.:blush:

RMichelleM

...everyone is posting just to say that they have no pics LOL...but i was thinking about trying it soon so i'll take pictures even (even if it fails lol smh)

serenity326

I thought I was going to walk in here and be blown away at all the shingling pics... but where are they!?!?! I have tried it a couple times, with mixed results, but will share anyway...

This is from my BC in Mar, 2007, and was shingled with Ms. Jessies Curly Pudding:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

This is after she stretched it with heat:

This picture is from that summer, and is a type of shingling process (brushing the product through and letting it dry), and was done with eco-styler gel and cantu shea butter leave-in

Here is a shingle I did myself, a year after my BC using curly pudding (not that cute, especially from the front, but at least you get the picture):

Another photo of something similar to shingling, but it was done with pantene hydrating curls conditioner instead of curly pudding (brushed through with a denman brush and in the process of air drying):

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes if you all try it! :grin:

Last edited:

Fine 4s

That first before and after pic you have with Miss Jessie's curly pudding looks very good. But I wonder if you have to have a specific hair texture to be able to shingle? I'm thinking no matter how much prods I put on and how much I shingle, it's still not going to have any definition...I hope I'm wrong cuz this looks very nice!

ycj

I thought I was going to walk in here and be blown away at all the shingling pics... but where are they!?!?! I have tried it a couple times, with mixed results, but will share anyway...

This is from my BC in Mar, 2007, and was shingled with Ms. Jessies Curly Pudding:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

This picture is from that summer, and is a type of shingling process (brushing the product through and letting it dry), and was done with eco-styler gel and cantu shea butter leave-in

Here is a shingle I did myself, a year after my BC using curly pudding (not that cute, especially from the front, but at least you get the picture):

Another photo of something similar to shingling, but it was done with pantene hydrating curls conditioner instead of curly pudding (brushed through with a denman brush and in the process of air drying):

You have wonderful pics to show the effects of the products you used. It looks like the miss jessies's is just ok and seems that you got better results with the pantene hydrating curls cond. I might try this method. I seem to also get the shingling affect when I use the Hawiaan Silky 14 n 1. I only use it to moist. my hair but find that it has the shingling effect on my hair as well. I will post some pics in a couple of days so you can see. Thanks again girl for posting the pics. Pictures on this site are worth a thousand words. Literally!!!!!:yep::yep::yep::yep:

Queen_Earth

serenity326 your hair looks good...I really like it best with the pantene hydrating curls effect...what denman brush did you use? I googled denman and saw a lot of choices

Nonie

That first before and after pic you have with Miss Jessie's curly pudding looks very good. But I wonder if you have to have a specific hair texture to be able to shingle? I'm thinking no matter how much prods I put on and how much I shingle, it's still not going to have any definition...I hope I'm wrong cuz this looks very nice!

Looking at the before/after pics on Miss Jessie's website, it seems even tightly coiled hair can be shingled to show definition.

http://www.missjessies.com/beforeafter3.html

lollyoo

I think most people can shingle also long as you have some curls. I think true 4c (that what I call it) with no curl pattern is the only hair that cant shingle, and this is a very rare.

I have 4b patch on both sides of my hair and the rest 4a and I was still able to shingle, no problem.

Fine 4s

I think most people can shingle also long as you have some curls. I think true 4c (that what I call it) with no curl pattern is the only hair that cant shingle, and this is a very rare.

I have 4b patch on both sides of my hair and the rest 4a and I was still able to shingle, no problem.

U mean C-napps?

oooop2

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Girl your hair is BANGIN'!!!!!!!!

Kurly K

BEFORE:

AFTER:

ahhhhhhh!!!!! yoour hair is gorgeous!!!:lick:

serenity326

I think shingling (or any other curl defining method) will look different on various textures - but I wouldn't say it won't work... I had a difficult time getting my hair defined when I first went natural, and I have since learned techniques and products that help signifcantly. Its all about experimentation... And those products and techniques have to change as your hair grows...

When I was short, I would co-wash my hair with pantene hydrating curls, lightly rinse my hair and then shake it upside down in the shower. Then I would add fantasia IC gel to the front, add a headband to slick back my edges and then would let it air dry (would take 2-3 hours to be completely dry depending on what the weather was outside)... I did this everyday (which was much easier given that I was in nor cali)...

Now that my hair is longer, I co-wash with herbal essence long term relationship, rinse my hair lightly (without shaking as I have found that the longer hair tangles), and use a microfiber turban to let it dry a bit (and catch the drippies)... I hardly ever shingle (or anything like that), because my hair takes too long to dry (and truthfully - its a lot of work)....

I say all this to say - you have to experiment to find out what works for you - I wouldn't knock it until you've tried it (and tried it multiple ways - if curly pudding doesn't work, try kinky curly curling custard or conditioner)... Experimentation is the most fun part of all of this! :grin:

You have wonderful pics to show the effects of the products you used. It looks like the miss jessies's is just ok and seems that you got better results with the pantene hydrating curls cond. I might try this method. I seem to also get the shingling affect when I use the Hawiaan Silky 14 n 1. I only use it to moist. my hair but find that it has the shingling effect on my hair as well. I will post some pics in a couple of days so you can see. Thanks again girl for posting the pics. Pictures on this site are worth a thousand words. Literally!!!!!:yep::yep::yep::yep:

Yeah, the conditioner is easier, and didnt take as long to dry (my hair sops up water like no ones business)... I rarely use this method, but thought it was worth trying a handful of times...

And it was my pleasure to add them... When I was a newbie, the pictures people would post were my lifeblood! So as long as I have some to share, I will definitely keep posting!

serenity326 your hair looks good...I really like it best with the pantene hydrating curls effect...what denman brush did you use? I googled denman and saw a lot of choices

I have used both a D3 and D4 classic (they look the same, one is bigger than the other):

HTH

LongCurlz

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Gorgeous!:blush: