Advice needed to prevent shedding/breakage after taking out protective styles?

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
I just finish washing and conditioning my hair after taking out my 3 month box braids. I feel like I lose too much hair and I need help. Advice? Tips?

ForumRunner_20141031_141242.jpg

Guinan

Re-Branding
I think your shedding looks normal. Especially after having box braids for 3mths.

But if you feel that this is not normal, you could try using garlic mask treatments and tea rinses.

faithVA

I agree it looks normal. Based on the length of your hair I would have expected more.

To prevent breakage, I usually cleanse my scalp while the braids are still in and then oil the braids and hair down so the hair slips off better. Then I DC only. I will moisturize my hair for a few days to a week before I actually wash it with shampoo. I found I needed more moisture to my hair after braids before letting shampoo touch it.

Pompous Blue

I think your shedding looks normal. Especially after having box braids for 3mths. But if you feel that this is not normal, you could try using garlic mask treatments and tea rinses.

I AGREE!

That's very little hair for keeping box braids in for three months. I was expecting to see enough hair for a small dog. LOL.

Amarilles

Dang this looks like my regular every 7-12 wash day shed! :lol:

I personally don't worry about shed hair, it has to happen for a new hair to come in. Unless you actually meant breakage?

sj10460

Thank You everyone! I always have clumps of hair after detangling (there was a little more after washing) and it just feels like a lot. My delusion is probably contributed to the fact that my nape was severally damaged for several months and I finally am NL in that area.

faithVA I'll try your suggestion about oiling the braids/my hair prior to take down. I had a lot of build up and dirt that took out a lot of my hair. I wash my hair while their in braids/weaves but for whatever reason I always have "dirt". I wanted to reach BSL this year and I won't make my goal.

PJaye

^^^I agree, and a light protein treatment during your next wash day wouldn't hurt either.

sj10460

PJaye what would you recommend? My protein game could use improvement. I usually use eggs and mayo as a treatment.

almond eyes

I am afraid that I think that's lots of hair shedded for three months. That's why I stopped wearing extension braids. I believe that there are two types of hair that come out after you remove your braids the shed hair and then hair that has been pulled due to the tension which is especially noticeable in fine hair. Extension braids are like a hair cut whatever you gained in growth for the month or two months goes down the drain.

Best,
Almond Eyes

naturalmanenyc

That is not a lot of shedding for 3 months. Hair sheds 50 - 100 strands per day.
After 3 months I would expect to see a lot more hair.

This is my shed after after 8 weeks in Havana twists.

A protein treatment I use and plan to reorder is Komaza Hair
http://www.komazahaircare.com/protein-hair-strengthener.html

PJaye

PJaye what would you recommend? My protein game could use improvement. I usually use eggs and mayo as a treatment.

Since you stated that your hair didn't like the Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor, I would recommend the Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner or the Colorful Neutral Protein Filler. The Protein Filler is a clear liquid that can be used as-is, diluted with water or added to a DC. It's flexibility allows you to control the strength of your treatment while addressing any porosity issues that may be present. I use both of these products regularly and I highly recommend them. For a stronger treatment, I would go with naturalmanenyc's suggestion because it's a very effective hard protein treatment. HTH!

almond eyes

That is not a lot of shedding for 3 months. Hair sheds 50 - 100 strands per day.
After 3 months I would expect to see a lot more hair.

This is my shed after after 8 weeks in Havana twists.

A protein treatment I use and plan to reorder is Komaza Hair
http://www.komazahaircare.com/protein-hair-strengthener.html

If you didn't wear Havana twists would the shedding be the same? When I stop wearing extension braids my shedding is very minimal like almost nothing plus I co wash everyday so extension braids do not allow me to get enough moisture to my hair. When I used to braid I always justified the shedding as normal but now that I no longer use extension braids I see the difference between normal shedding and dryness/tension pulls from the extension hair shedding and there is a difference. And that difference adds up in inches and retention.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

almond eyes

I don't save my shed hair for 8 weeks at a time to compare; however, yes I think it's the same. I've worn weave in the past with a corn row base and the take down from shedding was the same. I've never worn tight extensions or braids so I would not know what hair pulled out by tension looks like.

bronxsoloist

image-2639681884.jpg

No worries. Totally normal. This is after about 10 to 11 weeks in braid down under wig. Before I take my hair down I always spray with a diluted silk amino acid. After little manipulation for so long,it seems as if the hair is extremely delicate so i use it to add some strength. I've noticed considerable decrease in amount lost just by doing this. After a complete wash, I also follow with an Aphogee protein and then of course deep condition. I'm retaining length and volume even with all of this. HTH!

sj10460

naturalmanenyc gorgeousnaps

After watching so many videos on youtube of hair gurus, you start to feel like you're losing a lot of hair since they all seem to shed only two strands. It makes me think I'm not moisturizing enough. The picture below is after yesterday's wash.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141106_165625.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141106_165625.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
naturalmanenyc gorgeousnaps

After watching so many videos on youtube of hair gurus, you start to feel like you're losing a lot of hair since they all seem to shed only two strands. It makes me think I'm not moisturizing enough. The picture below is after yesterday's wash.

I wouldn't worry about it especially if you see a lot of white bulbs. I've been in the game for a while and what you'll learn is how important it is to know your normal compared to everyone else's. You will find your rhythm. I think the fact that you are paying attention to this is important though. Now that you know what is normal for you you will definitely know when something has changed.

naturalmanenyc

I think it's normal to be concerned when you see what seems like a lot of hair loss. DH freaked out a bit when he saw all of my shed hair from taking out my extensions. He even asked if everything was okay. Once I explained to him that all the shed hair is what he was clearing out of the tub and sink drain, he got it.

naturalmanenyc

I just took out my Havana twists after 9 weeks. It looks like a lot of hair but it's really a small amount when compressed.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141220_095612.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141220_095612.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 40